Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
560 Posts

Reviews for Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 24, 13 2:18 AM
One night after having closed a case a stranger is knocking loudly at your door. You answer and discover a helpless baby abandoned on your doorstep. Instead of calling the police, you decided to follow after the stranger,and find yourself drawn into a mystery adventure that begins at the doorsteps of a castle-like mansion. Your companions are a baby and a mechanical owl called Gears who helps you retrieve hard to reach objects. Off you go into the dark to find the Beauty within, whatever that may be.

A brilliant game with georgous graphics and artwork, very good animation and voice-overs, good atmospheric music that really sets the mood, customized settings if you prefer and great game mechanics. The look of the game is sharp and very well stylized which tells me that the developers have raised the bar a bit with this one.

To begin with, the developers have brought something new to the table which makes this game even more interesting. I loved the puzzles within the puzzles, the fragmented HO scenes whereby you need to locate objects and find pieces hidden within. All interactive and fun to play.After having selected hardcore level, I am happy to say that there were no hints or sparkles or indicators on the map which made for a challenging game. I did enjoy the twists and turns that the game offers, intricate puzzles within puzzles. Fragmented HO scenes that pop up and HO scenes that are both interactive and fragmented and some inventory objects that need to be combined. Sounds alot? actually all very well spaced out so that you can play at ease and enjoy the scenery as well.

You also have extras like your main game followed by a bonus game and extra hidden chapters. First you have have your collectables, mystical roses hidden throughout the game that make up a rose mural. You also have morphing objects which I discovered existed only after having bought the game. Spoil Alert: they pop up in HO scenes as well. There is also the mechanical owl I mentionned earlier that helps you along.

Game features include your mobile phone that holds your diary, your task list, your map and your list of achievements.It took me all but 25 minutes into the game when I immediately went for the BUY button. What a relief, finally a CE that I can sink my teeth into. We havent had those in a while. KUDOS to the developers for a beautiful game that not only offers an entertaining storyline but also a decent amount of WOW factor. I give this one five thumbs up!!!

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 10:33:51 AM PST

sapphire46
Manatee
Manatee
3,718 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sapphire46 on Oct 24, 13 3:15 AM
I'd like to thank Nilosh and all the other reviewers for keeping things going.
I value your input as there is no forum now and I don't know where everyone has gone. All the old names have disappeared, even in the reviews. I have seen that DLO is still around, that's great. I used to read Valdy but she had gone somewhere now.
Thank you again, without you people like me are stuck.

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Oct 24, 13 3:36 AM
definate buy for me, very different which I know is not always good but in this case it is, different type of story and a bit of a twist to hidden object scenes, even the mini games which are a bit on the easy side are different, even though I only played the demo Im intrigued enough to buy it to see how it pans out, also seems every one is playing Dark Manor

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 3:37:50 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 24, 13 3:50 AM
How Can I Wait Until Monday?!
BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
First impressions can be just plain wrong. This game starts out with an unacceptably long load, but everything else is just amazing, and once you’ve loaded it once, the game never takes long thereafter. And within minutes I was completely hooked.

The opening was very professionally done, top quality production values all the way, but it is not the overly dramatic. We, the detective or is it defense lawyer?, arrive home after a successful case. Nothing much to it really, even when we find a baby on our doorstep.

But the guy in the hat arrives, and things pick up! We’re off to a deserted mansion that may or may not be real, and many adventures ensue. We find a (mechanical) assistant, an interactive jump map (that indicates only what you want it to, it can be adjusted in the options menu), and a locket to get us started, along with our notebook.

The gameplay is the amazing thing about this game. It is almost completely new, both puzzles and HOPs. There are 20 HOPs (including CE chapter), and endless puzzles. They are original, quirky and sometimes just plain hard. Many items in the locations are hiding behind others that you must move, mini-games and puzzles often only give you part of the picture, and each HOP is different.

Just one example, within the second HOP, you must find a number of silhouetted items. But they are not exactly the item you are looking for. For example, a silhouette of a bird is a ‘bird symbol’, the required item is ANY bird, not a direct replica. In this particular HOP, the scene where you must find things is a stained glass window with many small pieces joining together to make an image.

In another HOP, the items on the list, when found, reveal a fragmented object (FROG). When all pieces are found, you can use the object to interact within the scene for the inventory item.

The mini-games gave me a bit of a headache. They were all new too, and sometimes it took me a while to catch onto what I should be doing (HINT: Keep the book open when finding fragments of symbols in the general location). In the case I just mentioned, even the otherwise very good SG and the not-as-helpful-as-I’d-like map left me confused.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 24, 13 3:51 AM
cont'd

CE BLING!

This game is definitely a CE game. Extras include gallery with music, wallpaper, concept art. 20 Replayable HOs. Collectible roses. Achievements. SG. And 3 bonus chapters/games. One is the usual follow on. One can only be played once you have collected all the roses. And then, something they call “Sugar Rush Hidden Object Puzzle”.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
In a year where we have been wowed over and over again with games that capture our imagination and challenge our brain cells, this one is right up there as one of the best of the year. I wouldn’t even try to resist!

I heartily recommend this game!

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 24, 13 4:03 AM
Very different in the mini game department. Clever, is all I've got to say. I love the story book puzzle. Here is another game that just goes to prove that not every room needs to be decrepit and sick looking. You CAN have good clean fun. The hidden object scenes are more interactive than just find something. This is a great game and will go down in history as being one of the most inventive games to date. These guys and gals at Mad Head are really using their heads.

[Post New]by purplehatlady on Oct 24, 13 4:06 AM
sapphire46 wrote:I'd like to thank Nilosh and all the other reviewers for keeping things going.
I value your input as there is no forum now and I don't know where everyone has gone. All the old names have disappeared, even in the reviews. I have seen that DLO is still around, that's great. I used to read Valdy but she had gone somewhere now.
................................................................................................................................................................................I so agree with you, without reviewers where would I be? Like you I am stuck and as you say so many are missing like love to miss lisa vlady jens mom to name but a few it seems as if some one is driving them away! Or maybe they have been deleted! by the BFG reply police as will my reply as soon as it is spotted. Thanks once again for your valued report.
purplehatlady

gamblebug
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Oct 24, 13 4:35 AM
JustTheFacts,thanks ,thanks for your reviews and I agree with them,concerning this game.Will get game but may wait for sale since I have the other 2 games.
Also to purplehatlady I totally agree with you about all the other reviewers we were used to have left and I believe Bf has a lot to do with it.One day I look for this site to be gone and the only thing left will be facebook and that's so sad.I mean we've lost Hondo and his HIghlights and like you it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't deleted

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Oct 24, 13 4:55 AM
This game is a definite must have. There is a lot to do which I love. Lot of variety within a game. I always liked these developers and they are becoming my favorite.
Graphics are wonderful and you get a little helper once again. I love the fact that instead of a journal you get to carry a cell phone which holds your journal, map etc.
Very nice touch.
HOGs are interactive in a different way.
Story kept my interest. This CE has a lot of bling including 3 bonus chapters.
Icon below keeps track of your found collectables and morphing objects.
All along caring for a baby that was dropped at your door you must return it to a certain place.
The imagination of these devs is incredible IMO.
Keep them coming. I highly recommend.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 24, 13 6:50 AM
Perhaps the most imaginative game to be released this year, Nevertales is just a delight from the moment the gorgeous baby is left on your doorstep. The usual car journey thankfully doesn't end in a crash but takes you to a mansion that seems to have appeared out of nowhere. From there....well to say any more about the story would just be one huge spoiler and others have done a wonderful job of describing the various options and collectibles.

The HOS are terrific; a real mix of clever ways to make what is essentially looking for an inventory item more interesting. The puzzles don't just solve themselves either; you have to think about them, which for me is perfect. You do get a helper who is cute enough without being overly so (and thankfully doesn't need clothes/a name/a house etc etc!). I didn't see any morphing objects but then I was so enchanted with the graphics and puzzle solving I wasn't really looking. I did find the roses though.

It goes without saying that this game is a must-have. The developers must be congratulated for producing such a uniquely imaginative game that I can't wait to play

ETA: Although if the d/l time of the demo is anything to go by, it'll be a long wait; nearly an hour for under 400mb is very poor. Been getting slow downloads again for the past week.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,220 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 24, 13 7:52 AM
gamblebug wrote:JustTheFacts,thanks ,thanks for your reviews and I agree with them,concerning this game.Will get game but may wait for sale since I have the other 2 games.
Also to purplehatlady I totally agree with you about all the other reviewers we were used to have left and I believe Bf has a lot to do with it.One day I look for this site to be gone and the only thing left will be facebook and that's so sad.I mean we've lost Hondo and his HIghlights and like you it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't deleted

Hi everyone. I moved on along with many others to h t t p : / / p o n d f r i e n d s . b o a r d s . n e t / . I agree it is uncomfortable to come to this site now, but I decided I would review dual release games here. (I'm on a Mac, so reviews of games the PC players already got would go unnoticed.) I live in AZ -- when you see my review first thing, I was typing it at 1 am -- sorry, I fell asleep early last night. The DL just finished -- I'll be back.

ETA: Well -- the highlights have already been covered so just my overall opinion will suffice. We see so many of these games now -- there is only so much that can be done to the actual game mechanic. That said, I can only commend the developers for putting a twist on almost every aspect of the usual. I wish the custom difficulty setting allowed for no black bar help, but otherwise, yes -- WOW! GREAT!

Certainly drawn in by the story, and a gazillion activities to take you through it. Hard to resist a baby, but I am impressed enough to even like the other cutesy characters. as they are introduced in terribly clever ways. I want to spend time with this game -- something I have been hard pressed to say lately.

Yes -- this is a game worth the demo, worth the CE label, and it will be difficult to wait for a sale.

Wow! -- I had no idea about the URL change. It has been corrected above.

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 9:17:55 AM PST

adrienne1
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by adrienne1 on Oct 24, 13 8:18 AM
sapphire46 wrote:I'd like to thank Nilosh and all the other reviewers for keeping things going.

I would like to echo those sentiments & add my thanks also.

bfgDeveron
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 24, 13 8:50 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread started this morning. This sounds like a special game. I think I'll have to give it a try!

What do you think of Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Nevertales: The Beauty Within Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 24, 13 8:51 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 24, 13 12:55 PM
I too have looked for and found some of my favorite reviewers elsewhere, but it just isn't the same. I want to read the reviews here, where I get the demo and buy the game, not somewhere else. They left because BF did away with the chat forum, and yes, I wrote to BF about the missing reviewers...still no changes. The chat forum helps to discuss, vent and find out game info as well. I miss all the old reviews, they were very good.

That said, on with the review. This isn't a bad game at all, although the demo was extremely short, with no hint as to the length of the game. The colors are good, graphics a little fuzzy in places. Game play is very nice. Music isn't bad and does change depending on what is happening in the game. Not a lot of sound FX, but what there is, is very good. Voice overs are very good as well and appropriate to the time and place in the game.

The HOGs are very different and fun and quite simple. Items are not hard to find. Games are extremely simple. Did not care for the extra step you had to take with some of the items you found for your inventory. Just seemed a little childish. Also didn't care for the item sitting on top of the inventory bar...why have a locking bar when the bar doesn't move?

You have to find roses, which are not difficult to see. You also have to find "books" that need to be completed in order to progress through the game. These are not hard at all. This game is not really challenging, but is different...especially in the story. Not sure it is CE worthy, since the demo ended very quickly and no idea how many chapters are left to complete. Too many game have become beginner level games lately. The only thing I found interesting, was the story, but not enough to pay CE price. I will put this in my puddle and wait for a really good special, or just get the SE version when it comes out. Not sure yet.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you needed today. Thanks for the reviews.

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

Different & Interesting

[Post New]by mrssharon on Oct 24, 13 2:08 PM
There's a little bit of everything in this game. Standard HOS, FROG, puzzles... and many of these are presented with a twist. I found the demo to be unique enough to hold my interest. Nothing was over-the-top difficult, but not easy, either.

I enjoyed the charachters, but did not care for the villain's growl. It didn't fit. Perhaps later in the game it would make sense?

The graphics were okay with a mixture of "artsy" drawn and "almost" human. The drawn graphics made it difficult to find some objects, though not impossible.

The music seemed appropriate for the game.

At first, I wasn't sure I would like this game. After playing the demo for 47 minutes I can say I wanted more play.

I don't think the description of the extras makes it CE worthy, but I feel it would be a solid SE.

Hespera
Clownfish
Clownfish
624 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Oct 24, 13 2:12 PM
Based on the demo:

I wanted to like this game; however, a couple of things put me off right away (and perhaps they were things limited to the demo, but alas, that's all I have to go on):

1 - items in the HOS do not go away after selection. Sorry - this is an absolute 'no go'. Once an item on the list is found, it should totally disappear from the picture - no 'ifs ands or buts'. And I can't think of a good reason for it to be otherwise.

2 - I selected the 'customized' option with only the 'HOS highlighted' selection. What I got was black bar tips/hints and objectives (even though they were not selected),

This doesn't work for me. I may be viewed as overly harsh, but from prior experience, the game will be too easy. The puzzles encountered were good - not difficult, but interesting and original takes on favorites. The achievements and collectibles are typical and lack imagination.

As always, I urge people to try the game, because the graphics and FX combined with the story are compelling. It's just not my cup of tea.

Edited on 10/24/2013 at 2:13:41 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 24, 13 2:27 PM
A very good game, has lots of different HOG's and FROG's. Like the puzzles too.. Enjoyed the game play and will give it a 5 out of 5 stars..

jacksjen
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by jacksjen on Oct 24, 13 5:25 PM
I don't normally do this but I'm so impressed with these developers I wanted to let them know how much I appreciate what they've done. This game is such a joy to play. There are so many different things to do. Generally, these types of games are limited to three fundamental aspects, look around for what you need, play a hidden object scene, and do a puzzle. They are pretty linear, and once you've done a few, the rest are just iterations of the same. This has puzzles within HOSs, puzzles within puzzles, HOSs within puzzles, collectibles within HOSs, you get the drift… The artwork is eye-catching and fun, the storyline unobtrusive but compelling, the interface user friendly and idiot proof. I own hundreds of these games, have been playing them since 03 (or whenever Huntsville came out), and was beginning to feel like this genre had pretty much jumped the shark. This game is encouraging me not to hang up my hat just yet. Developers, thank you so much for showing us that you still have enough ideas to keep things fresh and new, to keep the genre evolving.

Badgerrrt
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by Badgerrrt on Oct 24, 13 6:09 PM

Yes!! I also want to take a minute and express my sincere thanks and appreciation to all the Big Fish out there who take their time and their game expertise and post game reviews! I read them frequently and I not only find them very entertaining but extremely helpful when playing the games.
Blessings to you all ! Badgerrrt@yahoo.com

Go to: