length of game

albertm1
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

length of game

[Post New]by albertm1 on Oct 24, 13 1:53 PM
anyone finish the game? how long is it - just asking to decide to purchase now or perhaps wait for the SE - guess just want to know if the extras justify the add expense

Althena533
Clownfish
Clownfish
502 Posts

Re:length of game

[Post New]by Althena533 on Oct 24, 13 2:12 PM
Why does everybody care about how long games are? Do you worry about how long a book is before you read it?

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 24, 13 3:06 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
Althena533 wrote:Why does everybody care about how long games are? Do you worry about how long a book is before you read it?

I can't speak for everyone, just myself. I care very much how long a game is! If I am going to pay for a CE, it had better last me at least 4 hours, plus the bonus, which better not be shorter than 1 1/2 hours. I don't use the "extras," so my enjoyment of a game is all in the game.

With books you can see how long it is by checking the last page! If it's a short book, then I would wait for a cheaper paperback (actually I would get the hard cover at the library...), similar to a short game and waiting for the SE.

Would you buy a book for $20. or so only reading the flap, with no idea of it's length? I wouldn't.

You response to albertm1 wasn't helpful, or even polite.

I'm the same as you twinsoniclub, a CE is a lot of money and is very helpful when someone say about the length and the BC.

IMO is very rude the answer, luckily is not to me, if not I should report to some Mod.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Oct 24, 13 5:03 PM
Althena533 wrote:Why does everybody care about how long games are? Do you worry about how long a book is before you read it?

Yes, in a way, I do "worry" about the length of a book before I read it. If I am in the mood to read a novel, or piece of classic literature, I would be quite unhappy to find a short story masquerading as something else. I would not expect to pay the same price for a short story as a novel, provided they were in the same format (hard cover, paperback, etc)..

If you are happy paying the price for a CE that provides the same amount of playing time as the average SE, that's wonderful. Not all of us have so much cash that we can disregard what we are actually receiving in return for our payment.

Annikabelle
Herring
Herring
351 Posts

[Post New]by Annikabelle on Oct 24, 13 5:49 PM
It took me 7 hours and 7 minutes including the first rose bonus round.

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Oct 24, 13 5:56 PM
always wondered why there was always a question re game length - and now I know so thank you - fascinating discussion.

for me - if really like just got it as most games take me a really long time anyway.

usually get the CE of any game as like idea of 2 games in one - plus sometimes Bonus Chapter actually continues and completes game - like adding to things found etc. And when on sale - even better.

313gramgram
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by 313gramgram on Oct 24, 13 6:03 PM
Being a senior I would like to commit on this. I am sure there a lot of Seniors that play games on BIG FISH because they have a very LOW income and its very inportant to us to watch our spending. also theses game are very enjoyable. So that being said Does someone know how long this game is? Thank you for listening. Gram

Kapoho7
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Kapoho7 on Oct 24, 13 6:20 PM
The entire game and bonus chapters is about 4 hours long.

PTBT
Catfish
Catfish
1,659 Posts

[Post New]by PTBT on Oct 24, 13 7:02 PM
This is a really good Collector's Edition. The main game took me about 4.5 hours. Went to the bonus chapter and that took me about 1 hour. Then did the Collectables which goes pretty fast, and then the 3 "hidden" chapters which are one screen each.

But wait, there's more !!!! You can get stars for re-playing the hidden object screens, which you must do to win all achievements.

I don't care about wallpaper, concept art, etc. I want extras that are worth the money, and I think this game delivers that pretty darn well!

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Oct 25, 13 2:45 AM
Thanks PTBT (Clownfish LOL!!!!!!) JK! (Inside joke) & Kapoho7 for answering albertm1's answer. I am on a budget, these games are my hobby. The CE games are expensive! I ask because like others, if the CE game is not at least 5 hours long, I won't buy it. In the good old days they used to be 7-8 hours. But, also if there is a game that you are on the fence about, like during a sale, I'm usually trying to decide between games. If one is shorter, you may choose to wait for the SE version and use a PCC, or buy another game. So knowing the length of the game is important!
As for the other topic brought up........I tell my teenage brother and sister if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything. It's harder in person to stop things from coming out of your mouth, but on the computer, you make a choice to write harmful, judgmental things.
Have a great day everyone! Happy Gaming!

albertm1
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by albertm1 on Oct 25, 13 4:19 AM
thanks to all for the answer - and support, that was great

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Oct 25, 13 5:12 AM
Can you stand one more answer to the length of the game? I play the trial first and then when it is over I match it up to the Walkthrough. If I am half way through for me it is not worth buying the game. I have purchased games without walkthroughs and have found there was little playing time left after the trial and felt I did not get my money's worth.

With a CE unless the complete list of chapters are listed you do not know how long to expect the game will be.

No person with a question should be treated rude or "questioned" because that is what they wanted to know.

This game was lots of fun and so different. Hope to purchase soon.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 25, 13 10:04 AM
tooks to me about 7 hours for the game ,bonus and first hidden chapters (i can't finish,alas because i forgot to pick up the child token and now,the first book is closed!)but if ,the hidden chapters are very short!i have skipped only one puzzle and i have played the hidden objects scenes slowly because they were so funs and pleasant!i am average player!hope this answer!

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Oct 25, 13 11:11 AM
Replying to:
by Althena533 on October 24, 2:12 PM
Why does everybody care about how long games are? Do you worry about how long a book is before you read it?

I'm also replying to all who replied....I'll try not to ramble.

a. The question by Albertm1 is a fair question and it's a good question and I think no question which is on topic is out of bounds. The response above is mean-spirited. We don't know Albertm1's motivation for asking the question and he doesn't owe an explanation for it. He asked a question. If, Althena, you're miffed by the question and anyone else who wonders about the length of a game, please skip over the questions rather than writing something disrespectful. You are not owed an explanation for the question. If you have a helpful answer, answer it. If not, shut it. In the end you never bothered to answer the question.

b. I can appreciate Althena's perspective and the metaphorical question, whether the same basis of scrutiny is applied to a book. Great literature is not judged by its length, rather by its content. Althena, I think you could have been nicer...that's all.

c. Now, in answer to the question: I think the length more than justifies the purchase of a CE. More importantly, I don't think there's an SE yet. And, if you have the money to spend on a CE, let this be the one. "Nevertales" may not be the best game I've ever played (though it's certainly in the running) but it is absolutely the most different and creative. The developer were willing to take some chances by presenting new HOG formats, new game formats and rather intricate storyline which can leave you behind if you're not carefully aware of where you are in the story and how where you are relates to the game as a whole.

Please excuse my verbosity but I'd like to make one more point: Length of game is a personal issue and it's hard to give a generic answer. For instance, I am a very slow player. I classify myself as an expert, but I'm slow. When I read reviews, I'm often struck by people saying how they were able to get this or that game done in 2 hours or 3 or 4...and in so noting they are proud that it only took them this short time to complete the game. I've never understood this. If I'm enjoying a game, really loving it, inevitably it will seem too short. And if I'm hating it, inevitably it will seem interminable.

So, Albertm1: the CE is worth it because of the bonus gameplay.
And, Althena: play nice, OK

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Oct 25, 13 12:29 PM
I'm not done yet, but it seems to be of good length. Yes, game length means a lot to me. That tells me that the devs really put some thought into it.
I bought a game before and afterwards it only took 45 min to finish. I felt ripped off.
This game has a lot going on, so I believe the fellow fishies that it took them 7 hours. I play slow anyway because especially in a game like this one with all the gorgeous graphics and so much to do, it will take a while. And I love it.

How genius was the door puzzle? Love love love

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Oct 25, 13 2:12 PM
clownfish - still LOL!!!

been in game for 2 hours plus and totally immersed BUT dog wanted out.

so happy have hours left (leaving door open this time!)

Edited on 10/25/2013 at 2:14:24 PM PST

Kiwicouple
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Kiwicouple on Oct 25, 13 9:22 PM
I've been playing for 7 hours and I'm still not finished.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 26, 13 6:56 PM
I played full game and BC, and the rose painting in about 8 hours. I had several "senior times", and that slowed me more. I'm a average player, but IMO, it's a game worth the full price .

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Nov 2, 13 12:55 AM
The main game And bonus together took me just over 6 hours - which to me is well worth the money! BUT...I'm really still not done, I'm still playing the bonus extra rooms, so entire game play will be even longer. I feel completely confident that you will get your money's worth! Happy gaming!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 2, 13 1:53 AM
This is one game I think the CE is well worth it.
For starts, there are the Hidden Chapters to play after the Bonus Game and the Bonus Game itself was a good length and a satisfying story that fit with the main game.

I have played Bonus Games that were poor, short or shoddily done...a quick add on, often a teaser for whatever the next game they were working on instead of something meant finish off or give a prequel to the original story.
Those disappoint me hugely.

You also have a jigsaw puzzle to play before you can play everything else.
Collectibles to go through.....AND you can replay I think all the HOGs.....certainly you can replay quite a few.

Having said all that......every Gamer has their preferences and just because I loved this game, doesn't mean you will.....but I really hope you will like it as much as many of us have.
A lot of us thought this game raised a new standard in gameplay.

Go to: