Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

I have started over again !!

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 25, 13 6:28 AM
Has anyone felt like starting over again, and this time know what comes your way, and the best way to do things, and just start again from scratch?

Well, I had this feeling just now. I skipped 2 quests (the fountain repair and the rediculously high aubergine or whatever that was for 40.000 gold). I did all the other quests, and even repaired or upgraded the fountain now, but didn't do the quest.

And now I don't seem to be getting any more quests. Is it because I skipped 2 of them or is anyone else without quests? I am only on level 25 I think. So I am not too far ahead yet.

Edited on 10/25/2013 at 6:10:58 PM PST

Acashy
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

Re:Starting over ?

[Post New]by Acashy on Oct 25, 13 9:38 AM
Re quests:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/259670.page
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/259347.page
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/259378.page
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/259143.page
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/260059.page

But yes I have thouoght about starting over, and not max out any areas before getting the platinum ledger...

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:I have started over again !!

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 25, 13 6:23 PM
Thank you for the links, Acashy. Yes, I have read some of the posts where peeps said they didn't get any more quests. And it seems to stop at about that level that I was on.

I was just wondering if it might have had something to do with the fact that I skipped a couple of quests, and that this was the reason for no more quests. But I guess they are stopping at around levels 22-25 whether I skipped a quest or not.

--- --- ---

I have now edited the heading of this thread, because I want all my "friends" to know that I have, in fact, started over. So if any of my "friends" is thinking of sending me a message and waiting for a reply, "Valdy" is no longer there, although you will still see my name in your "friends" list.

I have now started under a different name, so as not to confuse the issue when I do need a new neighbour as a quest. But have decided not to concentrate on the Achievements anymore. They are, quite often, not worth it, and you are losing gold rather than gaining any. So what good is an achievement if you pay twice the amount of gold to get the achievement?

For example, one achievement is to buy 10 x food. The cheapest is the bread that cost 4 gold bars. If you buy 10 of those you pay 40 gold bars. The Achievement for that only gives you 20 gold bars. So you are losing 20 gold bars that you could have put to good use somewhere else (upgrading buildings, for example).

Same with the messages you have to send. One achievement asks you to send 100 messages. That's 42 gold pieces for one message = 4.200 gold pieces for a 100 messages. Can't remember what I got as an achievement, but I am sure it wasn't worth 4.200 gold pieces.

I also won't be wanting 100 friends anymore. I will do the quest where I need to have 1 friend, and that's that.

And now that I have started over - am now already on level 6 again - I am doing things differently rather than rushing into things randomly. Also, I earn more money, because I know now where the objects are in the scenes, therefore getting more coins and energy for the "quick" finds.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 13 7:55 AM
I hadn't realised that when I deleted the .save file and started the game again, that I would keep all my "friends".

So I want to let my friends know that I now go by the name of "Flutterby" - in case you are wondering who that "new" friend in your list is.

Edited on 10/28/2013 at 7:56:20 AM PST

minmer
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by minmer on Oct 28, 13 8:20 AM
Valdy wrote: So what good is an achievement if you pay twice the amount of gold to get the achievement?

For example, one achievement is to buy 10 x food. The cheapest is the bread that cost 4 gold bars. If you buy 10 of those you pay 40 gold bars. The Achievement for that only gives you 20 gold bars. So you are losing 20 gold bars that you could have put to good use somewhere else (upgrading buildings, for example).

Same with the messages you have to send. One achievement asks you to send 100 messages. That's 42 gold pieces for one message = 4.200 gold pieces for a 100 messages. Can't remember what I got as an achievement, but I am sure it wasn't worth 4.200 gold pieces.

1. You don't have to buy food for gold bars. You can buy the fish soup for 800 coins. That means you'll get 20 gold bars when you invest 8000 coins which you can earn fairly easily at the mini games.

2. The price for a message ist 42 coins not 42 gold bars and considering that you earn ca. 3000 coins (pro rank) at the tailor shop for one minigame that's not too expensive.

3. I do agree that with the exception of the fish soup the price for food items is outrageous if you consider how little energy you get.

4. However, if more energy was offered, you could finish the game at a single weekend, which I think is not the purpose.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 13 7:00 PM
Hi Minmer and thanks for replying. When I said "42 gold pieces" I did mean coins not bars. I said "bars" when I meant bars. LOL

I don't think I had the fish soup unlocked yet, so I can't comment on that one - unless it was unlocked and I just hadn't scrolled down enough to see it.

I don't recall mentioning anything about wanting more engery. All I was complaining about was the amount of gold (coins and bars) I need to pay to get an achievement, which to me is just not worth bothering with.

What I am doing now is only do the quests, not try to get the achievements. And I am much happier playing the game this way. Besides, looks like some of my achievements from the last game have actually been moved over to the new game, like I still have all my friends, and other things. A glitch? If so, it's to my advantage, it seems.

ETA:

minmer wrote:3. I do agree that with the exception of the fish soup the price for food items is outrageous if you consider how little energy you get.

When you talk about the "fish soup", Minmer, you obviously meant "Clam Chowder". Now that means more to me.

Edited on 10/29/2013 at 1:46:02 AM PST

minmer
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by minmer on Oct 29, 13 5:06 AM
Hi Valdy,

yes I meant "Clam Chowder" but as I'm not a native speaker, I admit I was too lazy to look it up and I always think about it as fish soup.

Happy gaming

JB4510
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by JB4510 on Oct 29, 13 11:35 AM
I too started over and was doing really great. I had 90 Gold Bars and $15k in coins. I was only doing Quests and all of a sudden I was down to 13 gold and a couple hundred in coins (much like real life!). If I don't get back up soon, I think I'm going to start one more time and skip the quests that cost a fortune, like 20 bars to adopt a pet and $14k for a new fountain.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 29, 13 8:12 PM
JB4510, for some reason I always enjoy these type of games the most when I start them right at the beginning again, when everything is still fresh and new and it's still possible to do things differently (and better, each time round).

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Oct 30, 13 12:12 PM
Valdy, when you start over do you have to change your user name and is it necessary to delete the .save file ?

thinking about starting over because like you I like the game right at the beginning the most.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 30, 13 8:00 PM
Hi Govols...

I didn't know you can just go into the settings while in the game, and click on "New Game", so rather than uninstalling and reinstalling the whole game, I just deleted the .save file.

However, there are lots of things I still had: all my neighbours, all my collectables, and also those collectables I had finished showed up as finished. I received bonuses for things I had already done in the last game, and so on.

Now, I don't know whether you can just start over with the name you used before. I assumed that I couldn't, that it would be already "implanted" in the game so that I couldn't repeat it. But you can always try and see whether it will accept your name or not.

Also, when you start a new game by clicking on "New Game", you may find that the game really does start right from the beginning, with nothing left over from the last game. Deleting my .save file allowed me to keep a lot of the things I had collected before.

ETA: I just had a thought. One of the players deleted her game again, but she is still showing in my Friends list. So it is entirely possible that you will also still show in everyone else's list when you start a new game. Which means that you can't add those people you already had as friends in the last game, to the new one.

Edited on 10/30/2013 at 8:04:38 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 5, 13 2:05 AM
Some more info on starting over. I decided to start yet again, but this time go to the "Settings" option and then click on "New Game". By starting a new game this way I no longer had all my collectables I was able to keep when I only deleted the .save file last time, but was able to really start from scratch.

This info is for Govols who wanted to know - or anyone else who is interested.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 5, 13 6:21 AM
Thanks Valdy. Are your friends gone as well? Achievements back to beginning ?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 5, 13 11:04 PM
The Achievements says that I have no neighbours as yet. But I am not yet able to get into my "Neighbors" section, because I haven't upgraded the Post Office yet, so I can't really say whether all my neighbours are still there. However, I assume they aren't. I was also able to reuse the last name I added before, which should mean that my whole file has been cleaned out, including my username. But will keep you informed once I can access the Neighbors list.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 6, 13 11:11 PM
Govols, I can now report back that you will still have all your neighbours from your previous game. All you do is start again with a quest, asking you to get 1 neighbour, but all you other neighbours are still there.

It's a little disappointing to me, because when I want to start from scratch, I want to start from the very beginning, where I don't have already all the neighbours from a previous game. Not the same...

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 7, 13 6:43 AM
Thanks Valdy. Honestly though the friends part of it is a minor thing , at least for me.

I keep forgetting to send messages or whatever. I may start over soon but I just opened Pensacola and am amused by that since that is where I am.

I don't recognize that location though...

I know it is not technically starting over if even a part of the previous game is there .

You did have to start over on the achievements right ?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 7, 13 5:12 PM
Yes, the achievements were all zero (starting again with sending 1 message and adding 1 neighbor, etc), and I don't have any of my previous collectables (a million owls) in my Collections, as I had last time when I just deleted the .save file. Well, that's all I can tell you. It seems that no matter which way you start again there is always something left over from the last game.

Oh never mind, I know now what to expect IF I start again sometimes in the future, so I won't be too disappointed when I see all my neighbours are still there. LOL

evetruth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

I have started over again !!

[Post New]by evetruth on Nov 7, 13 8:09 PM
Valdy wrote:Has anyone felt like starting over again, and this time know what comes your way, and the best way to do things, and just start again from scratch?

Well, I had this feeling just now. I skipped 2 quests (the fountain repair and the rediculously high aubergine or whatever that was for 40.000 gold). I did all the other quests, and even repaired or upgraded the fountain now, but didn't do the quest.

And now I don't seem to be getting any more quests. Is it because I skipped 2 of them or is anyone else without quests? I am only on level 25 I think. So I am not too far ahead yet.
That happened to me also. I stop getting quests after level 22

Go to: