The Whetstone

The Whetstone

[Post New]by irssecretary on Oct 26, 13 12:13 AM
First off, I really love this game. But I got to the cottage and found the whetstone. I entered the cottage and used the whetstone to sharpen the chisel to do the cut out on the table. Now, I need it for the hedge trimmers and it is no where to be found. Last I used the trimmers they were sharp and still working. Now I have a blunt pair of trimmers and no whetstone. Any solutions?

MerryDaze
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:The Whetstone

[Post New]by MerryDaze on Oct 26, 13 1:19 AM
Same here, totally stuck. I had the whetstone and used it to sharpen a chisel or file, then it disappeared and is no longer in inventory. Now I'm supposed to use it to sharpen garden shears.

RustyGig
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by RustyGig on Oct 26, 13 7:08 PM
Does having a third make this "a charm?" I sure hope we don't have to start over again!! My brain's in shambles!!

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Oct 26, 13 7:16 PM
My Whetstone stayed in my inventory as long as I needed it,
gave me no problems at all once I finally figured out the order
in which I was to combine/use inventory items.
Normally, in a case like this if closing/rebooting the game doesn't work
I delete and re-download it.
The game will welcome you back and bring you back to where you were,
hopefully with the missing item(s).
Like I said, Normally...
1st check to be sure this game will allow that.

and BOL (Best Of Luck)!
kat
=^,,^=

RustyGig
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by RustyGig on Oct 26, 13 7:22 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions, Katbear, I sure do appreciate you helping. I'd do just about anything to keep for starting over.

[Post New]by irssecretary on Oct 26, 13 9:46 PM
Thanks everyone, I least I am not alone! I will make the valiant attempt!

jlbaughn1
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by jlbaughn1 on Oct 27, 13 9:23 AM
Sorry, but I tried both and I still did not get back the whetstone. My computer is up to date on everything so it has to be a glitch. I really don't feel like re-playing the whole game to get past chapter 7 to get to the bonus. It has happened to others too in the tech problem feed too.

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Oct 27, 13 9:30 AM
katbear50 - love your self portrait in bottom left - sooooooo cool!! .

have not had this problem so have to recheck what did - back soonest!!!

do not restart - maybe just take a break and exit - then come back in - worked for me in other games.

Edited on 10/27/2013 at 9:32:47 AM PST

userfree
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by userfree on Oct 28, 13 12:13 PM
jlbaughn1 wrote:Sorry, but I tried both and I still did not get back the whetstone. My computer is up to date on everything so it has to be a glitch. I really don't feel like re-playing the whole game to get past chapter 7 to get to the bonus. It has happened to others too in the tech problem feed too.

Ditto here; used the whetstone on the chisel first as everyone seems to have that lost the whetstone and can't hone the shears. BF what do we do?

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Oct 28, 13 4:31 PM
userfree wrote:
jlbaughn1 wrote:Sorry, but I tried both and I still did not get back the whetstone. My computer is up to date on everything so it has to be a glitch. I really don't feel like re-playing the whole game to get past chapter 7 to get to the bonus. It has happened to others too in the tech problem feed too.

Ditto here; used the whetstone on the chisel first as everyone seems to have that lost the whetstone and can't hone the shears. BF what do we do?

Same thing happened to me. Reported in the technical section - told to uninstall/reinstall but that did nothing.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Oct 28, 13 8:39 PM
Hi guys,

Unfortunately this looks like a glitch. It has happened before with other games as well, when one item was intended for dual use. In this particular case, players who used the whetstone on the toolbox with the chisel first, are now not able to use it on the shears.

From my little experience the best thing is, apart from posting this in the technical issues thread, to get in contact with Customer Support reporting the issue, I understand some players already have, because more feedback means better chances that you'll get a fix for it more quickly. This is the game's fault and Mad Hat needs to update.

It is frustrating I know but hopefully you'll get your game up and running as soon as possible.

Now, for those who are reading this and haven't reached this part of the game yet, when you do, make sure to use the whetstone on the shears first and then on the chisel to avoid the glitch.

ETA: Uninstalling and reinstalling the game might do the trick, but usually that's not much of a help in such cases.

I'd also like to add that you could always start the game from the beginning, avoiding the glitch this time, so I guess the above concerns those who don't wish to start the game from scratch.

Edited on 10/30/2013 at 1:27:13 AM PST

mylab8it
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by mylab8it on Oct 29, 13 10:08 AM
Great info since I'm stuck in the same place. Will try reinstall as I really don't want to have to restart game. Thanks so much.

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Oct 29, 13 10:19 AM
tammytheo:

what's a sear??? LOL!

I know - you mean seer!! like at Delphi!!!!

oh - shears!! sorry - even old am a brat!!!!!

Edited on 10/29/2013 at 8:36:57 PM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Nov 2, 13 12:56 PM
I am not a happy camper. I can not believe I am going to have to start this game over.

[Post New]by livrebleu32 on Nov 4, 13 9:27 AM
I have the same problem!!! I hate that.!

[Post New]by BeSweet on Nov 8, 13 11:30 AM
BigTfromAV wrote:
userfree wrote:

Same thing happened to me. Reported in the technical section - told to uninstall/reinstall but that did nothing.

You won't find any answers here or in the technical issues area. tammytheo is right when she said "This is the game's fault and Mad Hat needs to update it." I have tried everything that was proposed by BigFish and others on this forum!!!

So I would suggest taking a stroll around the internet to findMadHat's game site, which I had no luck finding. Although I did find a Youtube site saying they were a group of professionals who enjoy making games for families and gamers (or something like that). Well intended though they may have been, BigFish[/u] should have checked the game out better before selling it to any one of us. At least, that's MHO (my humble opinion).

Having said this, [u]BigFish
does offer great games at a good price, so this should NOT deter anyone from continuing their relationship with BigFish, whether it is a membership or the occasional purchase.

Happy Gaming!!

Edited on 11/08/2013 at 11:36:00 AM PST

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Nov 8, 13 12:17 PM
Hi ,

Another humble suggestion for all of you who are having problems.

Did some of you have some response from BFG? They should give all of you the possibility to contact the Developers.

Really it's a glitch, not reason for the whetstone to disappear if you use first or second.

The same with the people with the orbits, and this is the bonus chapter at the end!!!

I played twice the game, because I like it a lot, and something I did was not leave things in the inventory, I was using one by one for fear to be "invisible" later on (the map helped me to be back and fro).

I guess every action is a trigger for another, and if we are doing in different ways are coming the "bugs".

Hope all you have some solution, enjoy the weekend ,
Minesita

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 8, 13 10:45 PM
I am going to suggest checking some other threads on the Whetstone.
Not all of these are glitches.
There are actually different locations and things to do before you can sharpen the second item.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 8, 13 11:59 PM
Another suggestion, or tip, if I may... I have learned the hard way that this sort of thing happens too many times in too many games by several developers, so now I always use an item that needs repair/sharpening etc right away when the opportunity arises to carry out those functions.

Easier said than done and not always easy to remember to do so when we get involved in the game, but it's saved me a lot of frustration.

As toocat says, these aren't glitches as such. I suspect it's not the developers' fault either; rather, I think it's the people developing the software the game developers use who are missing something in the programming. It's a shame we can't research which of them have these problems as they are rarely mentioned in the credits.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 9, 13 12:23 AM
I agree Tiger2010......and as part of my game-playing strategy I use any item I get as soon as it can be used.
I just don't like having crowded inventories......they make me feel like a hoarder or something....
I know....an absolute crazy neurotic, carrying around a bunch of stuff in a wheelbarrow "just in case" they might be needed. Finally I started thinking of it as one of those majik bags that carry any amount or size of stuff you need.....but unlike Hermione, I don't want to shuffle through 20 items to find the useful one!

Go to: