What do you think of this game?

Edited on 10/26/2013 at 8:56:06 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Canvas: Blood and Stone Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 26, 13 2:02 AM
Good Morning Everyone, what we have today in my opinion is a game that pales in comparison to the recent Nevertales. FOr those who enjoy the classics, this Greek tragedy has its perks.

Five old friends and three of them dead, encased in scuptor's plastic. After having recieved a letter, your mission takes you to a Greek Island where once upon a time lived a famous scupter and his wife, both tragically dead due to a unfortunate accident involving a machine that turns things into sculpters, Right! As you discover some clues, another tragic death occurs and obviously someone out of the five people is behind these deathsand it looks like the list of suspects is dwindleling..

What we have here is a Greek Tragedy brought to us as a standard HOPA game with the appropriate extras. After having played the demo, I have decided to either wait for the SE version to come out or take advantage of a good sale.

Today's game offers good graphics, sharp and bright colorful art work. There are voice-overs and the music was actually quite good. Game features a journal, a task or list of objectives, a map that will allow you to travel and also indicates areas of interest, twenty morphing objects to locate and sixty stone coins to collect throughout the game. There are also achievements to earn as well.

Game mechanics include adventure gamplay, standard HO scenes with some interation involved and very easy and quick mini-games. The HO scenes are repetative but items are well hidden and sometimes difficult to spot. So why am I not jumping up and down? Because there is a real out-dated look and feel about the game and a lack of any sort of challenge. Also there is something too familiar about the entire game experience, either I played this game before or played so many like it back when HOPA games were all the rage.

Dark Canvas is not a bad game, but not really a great game. As I said, I personally will either take advantage of a sale on CE games or just wait. In a fairness, I am a bit curious to see just who is behind the deaths but as I am comparing notes with the outstanding CE game Nevertales, I cant honestly give this game five gold stars, three and a half would be my grade.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 26, 13 3:47 AM
Looks Like Fun!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Nicely put together, somewhat creepy intro, with very clean graphics and charming, if occasionally a little overdone, voice acting. This game just looks and sounds good. The story is a little different and the Greek setting is wonderfully “Greek”. The music is light and unobtrusive.

A sculptor has invented a strange ‘encasing’ device for his sculptures, and someone has used it to kill the sculptor himself and his wife. As an investigative reporter, we are sent to find out the truth. We meet interesting characters with their own issues, as well as people who can help us and a kitten who helps us out a little. Backstory is told in interesting excerpts found on diary tablets of stone, which are a collecting achievement.

MAKING PROGRESS (GAMEPLAY)
This game is unusual, because it is mostly a puzzle adventure. There are 20 or so, compared to just 7 HOPs. The puzzles range from very easy to “thank god for skip”, even this early in the game. And they are creative and fun to do. The HOPs are interactive lists, visited twice. Not counted as either HOP or puzzles are progressive silhouette (find & use) HOPs, also visited twice.

Action is fairly linear, and contained within each chapter. There is an interactive jump map that indicates objectives, not current actions. The hint is directional. Between them, I only used the SG to find out what it was like. Good.

CE BLING!
There is quite a bit to find in this one and certainly enough to justify a CE status. The usual bonus game, SG, gallery, and replayable HOPs and puzzles. Plus 60 collectible coins to by statuettes for your collection room. 20 Morphing objects. Many achievements, quite a range from “complete x part of the game” to the standard timing and accuracy ones, plus a few goofball ones as well.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
The first Dark Canvas got mixed reviews. Although I really liked it, many others didn’t. I don’t think one will be as controversial. It is not my favourite CE game ever. But I think all those extras add to its charm and make it likely to be a better buy than the SE.

It is certainly a good game, and seems as though it will be fun to play.

I recommend this game!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 26, 13 7:32 AM
This is a nice game. And that's about the only thing I can think of to describe it. It's nothing spectacular; the graphics are very nice but not outstanding, the voiceovers are done well enough and the story seems fairly interesting. But it's all just a bit bland and unexciting.

There are more puzzles (most of which were pretty easy to solve) than HOS (which are interactive), coin collectibles, morphing objects (found these by accident!) and achievements. Also a map which shows where there are things to do and can be used to jump there. I was sorry when I had to let my little kitten helper go but at least he wasn't left alone

I think after Nevertales, any CE less than spectacular was always going to suffer by comparison and unfortunately this one does. It's nice enough but just a little on the dull and predictable side for my taste. I will wait for the SE which I will definitely buy (just to see the kitten again!) but will pass on this CE.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 26, 13 8:54 AM
Thanks for getting this started!

What do you think of Dark Canvas: Blood and Stone Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Dark Canvas: Blood and Stone Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 26, 13 8:55 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Just a Bit Tame

[Post New]by mrssharon on Oct 26, 13 12:57 PM
You would think that there would be a little more excitement in a murder mystery, wouldn't you? While I found the game play okay, it was just that. Okay, not great.

The music was a little to soft and melodic, too. No real tension created with it.

As another reviewer commented, the graphics were not quite spot on. I really had to look hard to find some objects. And even though I played on casual mode, I had no idea of some areas to search. No glinting!

I did a beta of this game and recall the same issues mentioned above. One other issue I wish developers would address is the announcement when you have completed one of the accomplishments. A big banner that says I didn't use a hint (or skip, etc.). Really? I could easily do without these. They just don't add anything valuable to the game play for me.

I did find one morphing object about 2/3 of the way into the demo. They are truly not obvious and if that expands the playing satisfaction for some, then they will be happy, indeed.

This is a pass for me. It's just a little to ho-hum for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 26, 13 1:09 PM
I thought it to be a good game, liked the puzzles and HOG's. I guess some fishes would think this is too easy but I enjoyed a game I didn't have to use hints all the time. I even could do the puzzles. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 26, 13 7:39 PM
Well, I never rehash the story in a game...been done by others. I just like to tell you how I felt about the game.

I really liked the graphics in this one. Color was very vibrant and fairly clear. Game play was nice. Music wasn't too bad...calming actually. Voice overs were good. Sounded tinny in the beginning, but cleared up when the actual game began. You can click through the dialoge everywhere in the game, except during the "story" part of it. It did need a little more of a hint as to what was going on in the beginning.

HOGs were nice, clear and clean. Items not difficult to find. Games were fairly simple, but some did take a little thought. SG was nice, but not really necessary. Hint system was helpful and filled quickly.

There was no real excitement to this game. Nothing that drew me in from the beginning and make me want to purchase to see what happens next. The coins are easy to find, but not sure what they are for (looked at achievements and still don't know). The only challenge that I found so far is trying to find the morphing objects. They are extremely difficult to see and major eye strain watching for them. Otherwise, it was not challenging or difficult, but it was a nice game. Yes, I will get this game, but not sure if it is worth the price of a CE or if I'll just wait for the SE version.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the review.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Oct 27, 13 5:38 AM
I agree with dancemom1 and Nilosh. This is a very nice game with great color, but just not that riveting game play - very nice game play, with a fun setting, but pretty easy to play. Normally, I'm constantly impatient with HOP's, but I think I got through the entire demo without using any hints in the HOP's - they were quite easy to play. The hint system is very good outside of the puzzles, and I only checked the SG to see if the list of collectibles and morphing objects was available during the demo (it wasn't). I think I only skipped one mini-game, which is also a record for me. Often the main reason I get a CE is to be able to keep track of cleverly hidden collectibles/objects, but in this case, the coins are easy to spot and I only found about 2 morphing objects - there may have been more, but sadly I didn't care, and usually a game with morphing objects is a real draw for me. The story (the murder mystery) is interesting but not urgent, and the voiceovers sounded like the same actors trying on different voices -- in fact it was a little bizarre to have a lot of American/Canadian accents coming out of Greek people -- almost like some Greek coastal town transplanted to the California coast or something. Hmmm. I would note that I played this on easy mode, just to keep the 60 second hint recharge - on the middle mode which I usually play, it would have taken 3 minutes -- yikes. All in all, I would get this as an SE and use up one of my constantly expiring punch card coupons, but I wouldn't do it for a CE, even with a sale. However, for newer people to these games or people who like a nice, relaxing game, this may be a good one for you.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 27, 13 5:59 PM
Another CE worthy game with interactive map that has icons to tell what there are active tasks to be completed. Just so fun, not difficult at all, 3d map as well!!!

Not scary at all, and as usual all the bells and whistles that u can wished for a CE

Get it with another CE, they are keepers

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Oct 30, 13 5:49 PM
I actually liked the game. It was a different setting (not that many HOPA games done in a Greek scenery), and the mystery aspect was well paced. That said, I feel that it could have been done so much better. The graphics, while really good, could have been great. I have no problems with the music, it was appropriate to the game and theme, and even a bit haunting. The game itself could have been a bit longer, it gave me the impression that this game had been done originally as a SE, and someone decided before releasing it to attach some extras to make it CE.

The tokens that you pick during the game, and the bonus gameplay are used to purchase the figurines in the "Collection" section of the main menu. It was a nice touch, but did someone managed to buy all the figurines, because at the very end of the bonus chapter, I was still short of three figurines (you have to buy the figurines and play the three puzzles in order to open a book in the center, which I have no idea what it contains).

Anyway, really good, fun enough for a relaxing afternoon, but not exactly top of the line.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 7, 13 2:58 PM
Just finished playing the main game - actually, is there a bonus game? I couldn't find one. Anyway, I liked the story. I thought it was interesting and mainly bought the game to find out who the "bad guy" was. The mini-games, which is my favorite part of a game, were pretty easy except for a few.The last mini-game with the pipes hidden under tiles, was way too frustrating for me. I thought the voice overs not annoying, the music was pretty and all in all a very nice game. Like some other reviewers have said, nothing to knock your socks off so-to-speak, but very nice.

feenix

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 13, 14 10:09 PM
I really enjoyed this game, in spite of a bit of a buggy time when I kept getting directed to the proposal sculpture - and I had already done everything I could do there. I restarted with a new character and made it to the end, although I missed finding two of the coins (and therefore didn't get to play the third game).

I don't usually care to have the music on for a lot of these games, but the piano was very relaxing in this game.

The storyline was interesting, and I honestly did not see the Big Reveal coming!

The only real disappointment was in having to leave those adorable little kittens to fend for themselves in the garden.

Go to: