Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Reviews for Queen's Tales: The Beast and the Nightingale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Oct 31, 13 3:07 AM
Adapted from the Fairy Tale of Beauty and the Beast, our story begins with a devoted Father who falls upon a castle where he finds a golden nightingale. He decides to take it as a gift to his daughter only to discover that it belongs to a very dark Beast. In exchange for his crime, the Father must either have his daughter submit to a life of servitude, or face the fate himself or certain death. Naturally, our heroine decides to take her Father's place and she has till Midnight to reach the castle. That is where the tricky part begins along with our adventure.
It has been a while since we have had a game from everyone's favorite game developers. Getting worried there for a while but here they are with the same style of graphics and beautiful artwork, voice-overs, quirky characters all put together in an entertaining HOPA game that can be enjoyed by all members of the family.

Some of you may find this a bit too saccharine for your taste, a bit childish but still game play is interesting. You have three modes of difficulty that can also be customized. You have your map that allows you to travel, a journal and a golden nightingale that has magical powers to make things grow. Thee is also a clock that appears at the beginning of the game and it times you, telling you that you have till midnight. I shudder to think what will happen if I don’t reach the castle by then, do I have to start from the beginning?

Gameplay is your standard HOPA with variations of Hidden Object scenes. You have a list of items to find that also involves interaction or collecting 12 of the same objects, There may be more but I only came across 3 HO scenes. You also have the option to switch to a M3 style game that is very different from a mere swap. I liked playing it and thought it was clever to add that.

Adventure gameplay has you going back and forth a lot, thank goodness for the map. As for the minigames, I thought they were brilliant, well executed and fun to play. Also there a extras like collecting exotic birds along the way and a list of achievements.

As I said a lot of back and forth, picking up objects to use and clues along the way. The clock on the upper right hand corner does concern me and has peaked my curiosity. Alot of quirky characters and then there is the evil sorceress that is trying to deter you from reaching the castle.

Somewhat a childish theme but gameplay is entertaining. Is it worth the extra pennies? Well it seems now that most SE games are really not worth spending money or using a free club award and that most games worth playing are now tagged as CE. I liked the game but right now my budget is tight and I really am not so keen with fairy tales at this time. I prefer a more adult theme to my games.

Edited on 10/31/2013 at 9:45:22 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Queen's Tales: The Beast and the Nightingale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 31, 13 3:28 AM
I'm So Embarrassed!
Another Cute Game And I Love It...!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I admit, I’m a sucker for cute, but I genuinely thought I had reached my fill of them and would not love another saccharine sweet story with cute companions and delightful fantasy locations. But I’m in love again. This game is more than just ‘cute’, however, it offers a genuinely new story, a new and interesting mini-games alternative to HOPs, and a new look for the developers (ERS).

However, I would suggest that those who don’t like cute, or want radically new gameplay and/or serious challenges to their puzzling skills, might want to skip this game completely.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Although the beautifully hand-drawn quality of ERS games is still there, the style of the art is quite a bit different, and gives me an impression of the Dark Parables games, which are well-known for their spectacularly beautiful imagery. I particularly love the beautifully fanciful critters that have, this year, become the norm for ERS. I would so like to take them home with me! In all, it is a visual gem. The background sound, in a game about a nightingale, is as you’d expect, filled with bird song. But that is not all of course, and both the music and the voices are well done.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
A new fairy tale! Your father steals (by accident of course!) a beast’s magic nightingale (it makes plants grow), which he then gives to you. But it seems that the owner of the bird has set a trap, because now either he gives you to the beast in marriage, or he must give himself into slavery for the rest of his life (sounds like the same thing to me). This, Father intends to do, but you take off to the beast’s castle while he sleeps.

Then, unexpected complication, some crazy witch decides she will stop you getting there! When she attacks you, in a crusading leap away from other games, it is you who gets rescued, by your long-time admirer Dorian. Well, I certainly want to know if, given such a revolutionary work, the essential ‘happily ever after’ ending is overturned as well!

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Oct 31, 13 3:32 AM
cont'd

GAMEPLAY
I saw nothing in the adventure gameplay that deviated much from the norm for ERS. It is interesting enough without being a headache, and comes with a directional hint and a good map. This one gives you areas where you have finished, ones that are still be done, and can reveal locations within locations, as well as jump there.

The HOPs are standard interactive lists so far, but I didn’t get to finish the demo, so there may have been more. They were well lit and great to look at, but a somewhat unusual style. The mini-games were not difficult, but some were interesting, more difficult, examples of familiar ones. BUT... instead of HOPs, you could choose to do a differently styled Match 3 mini-game that I’ve not seen before and which was really fun.

CE BLING! (or WHY I MUST HAVE THE CE)
Well, see, um, ah. Oh okay,okay, I have to have the critters, and I can’t resist the extras!

There are some lovely collectible birds (all different) which go into your bird cage where they will sing and dance. Then there’s the achievements, which end up in your fairy tales book, in the form of well known figures.

The gallery has the usual wallpapers etc., there is a bonus chapter, replayable HOPs and mini-games. Strategy Guide as well.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
This just hit the top of my buy list!

I recommend this game!

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Oct 31, 13 4:21 AM
Played for 25 minutes before the demo ran out...

A father finds an abandoned castle after sailing back from somewhere and while trying to take a prized (and clearly valuable) bird, he is thwarted by the beast-like owner and forced to give up his daughter in return. Um, what?!?! A bird is now as important as someone's daughter? Or is it that a bird & one's daughter are just "things", easily interchangeable between each other?

Once again, Expect Repetition Studios gives us the same old, same old. First, the voice actors are just gawd-awful terrible!! A matronly looking mother telling a child a story is voiced by someone who should be on Friends; the Beauty & the Beast beast type of beast sounds like my old English professor, the "father" is mildly passable in his acting but still doesn't sound old enough, and the exclamations and shouting are just so completely laughable...

Then, while the graphics are a small step to what they've offered in the past, they still have a somewhat blurry & "non-fluidity" element to them.

The 4 or 5 puzzles I encountered were ridiculously easy.

And let's not even talk about how the storyline is as contrived as it is passe.

The music is so saccharine sweet it was nauseating & so out of place.

You do get customizable options for difficulty settings but they really offered no additional challenge. One HOS scene was used twice in the demo, before you get out of the castle you start in, and had you looking for objects in a scene that was so sparse and objects that were so obvious to find it was insulting.

And for some reason, the very golden bird that is causing the curse upon your daughter is there to help you grow flowers and help you in your quest to end said curse. Cue the shriveled flowers that need growing and the potting soil that needs seeds and then needs growing. Just click on the curse-inducing bird... Just stupid.

The gameplay is relatively smooth (although the 'get the ship to the port in 7 moves' game had lag after pressing the game's arrows) but that is not enough to make up for what is, yet again, a game geared toward the young[er] crowd with absolutely no challenge.

A horrible offering by BFG for Halloween, by the way...

In the end, this is a (out of 5) game, at best. No buy; No way, no how!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 31, 13 4:31 AM
Here comes the awesome bunny team with another wonderful game. This game to me is a 10+. It's such a well executed game. I love all the cute little helpers. That locust was a trip, Weepie is plain funny, and the Nightingale is beautiful. I don't think this is childish at all. Haven't you ever heard of being a kid at heart? Would you not take your grandkids to Disney World because it's not adult themed enough? If you don't want to play the H0G, they have a mini game instead where you rotate tiles to get 3 in a row. Different twist on Match 3. I know like other bunny games, I will truly enjoy this one. I love the VO's, especially the Beasts!

Story: Kind of like a rendition of Beauty and the Beast but this time the Beast is upset because his Nightingale is gone. Dad looks like he is in a world of trouble and his daughter our main character is off to get her father's head off of the chopping block.

Graphics: Absolutely beautiful. But the bunny team always had gorgeous graphics where you like to stop the game play and just look.

Music: Beautiful music. Fits the game to a tee. But they always did have a wonderful music team.

Mini Games: Not too hard or easy, just right and fun. Really original.

Hint System: Works out of the H0GS just as wonderful as it does in them.

Map: Jump map. Saves the leg work.

All in all I will I am truly looking forward to this one and having a grandiose time Kudos to the team for another job extremely well done!

Edited on 10/31/2013 at 4:54:02 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 31, 13 5:14 AM
just few words !not the game of the year,but a pleasant one!beautiful as always with ERS,with a childish story perhaps for some,but with a gameplay which is not so childish!lot of things to do,birds to pick up for achievement,little creatures almost cute(but not to dress up!)for people which can't for lack of money,they can wait for SE without regrets!but,not a bad game,a just pleasant one!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 31, 13 6:30 AM
I completely agree with the review posted by mst3kr. There's really nothing to add ---- it's just the same old thing over and over again ---- and ers is either just 1) just making games to please themselves, or 2) they have decided to aim their games toward the children's market with the overly simplistic and insultingly easy game play. (Not to mention all the recycled concepts.)

As with the big majority of ERS games these days (they fell far down my list a very long time ago), this one has no appeal at all for me. But I'll bet the very young ones would like it. Very young.

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Oct 31, 13 6:31 AM
I'd love to play the game, HOWEVER, I cannot get the game to play. I can see the opening page, enter a name. Then the diagonal lines of varying sizes kick in. That is all I get. I am going over to HELP and try to run Dr.Felix. The last attempt was useless. Nehmah

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 31, 13 7:36 AM
I completely agree with the reviews by mst3kr and cbtx. Yet another cookie cutter, overly cute, insultingly easy game by Everything's Recycled Studios.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 31, 13 9:44 AM
Hello All,

Thanks for getting this started!

What do you think of Queen's Tales: The Beast and the Nightingale Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Queen's Tales: The Beast and the Nightingale Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Oct 31, 13 9:46 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

Coronanana
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Coronanana on Oct 31, 13 12:16 PM
I'm loving this game. It is charming, the music is charming and I'll be buying first thing tomorrow. I've become weary of the dark and dreary and this is the remedy. Thank you BF and ERS. Been waiting for a decent fairy tale game and this is it. I'm so glad that developers realize that there are many tastes in games out here. Please continue to provide for all of them.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Oct 31, 13 12:32 PM
Well, I think that ERS has given us another great game. I am so thankful that I have a joyful heart and enough of the kid left in me that I love playing these wonderful fantasy games from ERS. IMHO, no one does these types of games better. The gameplay is so much fun and I love the wonderful characters that I am meeting on the journey. The story is a different spin on the Beauty and the Beast tale that has always been one of my favorites. So very happy that ERS continues to make games for those of us who love these types of games (and who actually buy them) rather than for those who only show up to write bad reviews and make snippy remarks about the developer.

This game has a variety of different HOS, with a unique style matching game for those who don't want to look for items. The puzzles are different and some are tricky so you need to think about them. I enjoy the visual beauty of ERS games and that makes the adventure so much more fun. For me, ERS knows how to present the whole package and discovering what they have in store during the adventure is guaranteed to provide hours of entertainment. I know that many of you don't like these types of games and that's fine but for those of us who do, we have another beautiful game from my favorite development team.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 31, 13 12:42 PM
I've had my issues with ERS games in the past, especially animals in clothing, but this one strikes a perfect balance between telling a good fairy tale and having beautiful graphics without going over the top with cute. Personally, I don't think fairy tales are limited to children (which millions of others seem to agree judging by the popularity of a certain TV show that's on Sunday nights) and I certainly don't feel this game is too simple minded for adults.

The artwork is lush and rich, the music is unobtrusive and pleasant, the voice acting is generally good except for the child's voice which was obviously an adult and the puzzles and hidden objects are varied and clever. Those fuzzies on strings were a lot of fun and made me laugh as did Weepie. Her eating the chili pepper was hilarious.

Lots of fun stuff in this and I love me some unrequited love story so I'm very happy with my purchase today. ERS has done a 180 with this latest game and I'm thrilled to see them back at the top of their game if you'll excuse the pun.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Oct 31, 13 2:12 PM
Biscuitsmama and Snapnhiss; Your reviews are outstanding as always and I agree wholeheartedly with them on this beautiful game!!! What wonderful eye candy this is and I love Fairy Tales and if this game is for the very young, then thanks so much, that is a compliment to me then, lol! and no doubt to many others as well ....I find the colours amazing and they do not seem washed out on my laptop. I am taking my time with this one so that I can take in all the beauty of this game. I love the HOGS, very well done ERS!! I say Bring them on! Keep up the great work! Thanks BFG and ERS for this GEM today!!!!

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Oct 31, 13 3:06 PM
even though i have not bought an ERS game since before crucible peak, and even when the games veered from scary/spooky/eerie to straight-up fairy tales, with LOTS of cute animals/creatures, i vowed i would continue to demo every game they put on the market. i have not broken that vow to myself and i have played the full demo every time.

i appreciate the fact that ERS is including a custom setting for difficulty level... both for game mechanics AND for puzzle difficulty! any puzzle that has "casual" and "hard", i click "hard". and the boat to port puzzle took me several tries... that's GOOD! i like it!

HOWEVER, for the game mechanics difficulty, i un-ticked "tutorials" and still GOT a tutorial when i received the nightingale AND when i went to play the first HOS. so much for "no tutorials"! grrrrrr...

i also un-ticked "black bar tips" and while *some* were gone, most were still there.
i guess "custom mode" isn't very custom, is it?

i also appreciate that they have added a different kind of "4 square" match 3 that you can switch to for HOS which was fun, for a match 3. yes, this is a HOG, but i'd rather play adventure without the HOS, so the change to match 3 (or other alternative) is very welcomed.

i didn't care for all the "cute" creatures, weepie got on my nerves right away, even when it started laughing.
i wasn't crazy about the VOs... as some have commented, the child sounded like an adult... but for me, the worst one was "the beast" which didn't sound very "beast-like" at all. just ho-hum... you've got til midnight! la-de-dah. i was kinda expecting more of a growl sorta voice...
but, i will say that i can see why the folks who love ERS games are enamored of this one. it's colorful, bright and happy. easy to just wander through and enjoy without worries!

but, a no-buy for me, not surprisingly.

ERS, i'll say it one more time: put out another one like dark alleys: penumbra motel WITHOUT one cute animal and i will be the first in line to buy it. until then, no sale. sorry.
but, i'll keep hoping. and keep demoing on the off chance that the next dark alleys really ARE... dark alleys...

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 1, 13 5:52 AM
It's always interesting to me how different tastes mean such different reactions to the same games. With this one, at first the la la la quality of the music was really driving me crazy, and I sing, so I like to play games with the music audible, but I was thinking of turning the music off in this one. Also I found the gameplay fairly obvious and pretty simple-minded. However, when I got to what I assume is the second chapter, (I only checked the SG for collectible info., but it was most likely the true start of the game), while it was still pretty fairy-tale with a lot of small, cute creatures of various sorts, the story became darker and the music actually became more varied. I found, to my surprise, that I was starting to like the game. There is a lot to do and a lot of memory work in going back and forth accomplishing tasks, which I liked. I played the whole demo, glad I did so. I didn't use the SG for anything during it, so, without knowing what the bonus chapter has, it is possible the SE on this one might work fine for many players, because the hint button works pretty adequately outside of HOP's. I customized this for a higher level of difficulty, tried to get rid of the tutorial (it didn't fully go away though), but kept a shorter time for the hint and skip buttons (40 secs. for the hint and 60 for skip). I think I will get this, although I'll wait for a sale.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 1, 13 10:19 PM
Cutie birds collectible, interactive map, ability to choose either M3 or HOG, cute as button companion (weepie) and fairy tale like scenery whats not to like!!!

BUY BUY BUY

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 3, 13 1:24 PM
Okay, I won't comment on the story, since everyone has already done that. I just tell you what I thought of the game play.

Another ERS game, much like all the others we have had lately. I have a pile of their games and have thoroughly enjoyed them. This one, I'm not sure about. The graphics are nice, but are more cartoon like, and a little fuzzy. Seems like they are going backward in time with this one. Game play is nice. Voice overs okay, but a bit boring. There is a jump map and you will definitely use it...a lot. You return the the same are way too many times and play the HOGs more than once.

On the HOGS, they are very few and very far between. Extremely simple, quite clear and easy to find items. A lot of puzzles, which are also extremely simple. I like the cute and cuddley animals (yes, I'm one of those people). Hint system is helpful...so much so that you don't really need the SG. SG is okay, but the pictures are fuzzy and very small, even when you blow them up. Someone needed to QA the SG, e.g., place skirt on it...what is it? Not hard to figure out, but point being...

You have collectibles to find, which are not difficult, as long as you remember to look for them. The clock in the upper right corner tells you how much time you have left before midnight. Play the game and you will figure out what that means.

ERS games use to be fun, interesting and challenging, but no more. Last few have been geared more toward the very young crowd...very young. Very disappointed in this one for that reason. Don't know if I will get this one even as an SE. It just didn't make me want to continue to see what happens or how it ends. No buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you needed. Thanks for the reviews.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 3, 13 9:12 PM

After this game, I'm pretty certain that ERS are beginning to go down hill. For the second time in as many games, I couldn't finish the demo. I'll admit this is better than Two Doves, but it's still way short of being a good game.

The story wasn't good at all. From the start of the demo to when I quit, nothing interesting happened at all. The intro wasn't very good, but I had hopes. Turns out those hopes were let down. The biggest killer for me was that this story, like the last one, was WAY TOO CUTE! Where do I start? First, you dressed a fox in a skirt, then you went in to the magical land and found fuzzy blue flying things and some annoying creature called a “Weepie”, and that was just in the 50 minutes I played. I shudder to think what else might come out.
ERS need to realise that not everyone is a fan of cute. Some of us like creepy! Your last 3 of your last 5 games have been cute ones. Perhaps it's time for something different? Until ERS come out with something creepy, I won't be buying any more of their games. It's just beyond a joke now.

For a game with a horrible story, the gameplay is actually pretty good. For the third time in a row, we have the option of a custom difficulty, which allows us to set the game the way we like it. I thought this was really great.
The HOS are great, too. There are two types of HOS; junkpile and silhouette. Both were great fun, even though they were easy. I loved seeing those sparkles indicating that there was another HOS.
The puzzles were a little on the difficult side, although some of them had the option to switch difficulties. However, that didn't stop me from needing to skip most of them.
This is, pretty much, your standard HOPA. Experienced players should have no trouble navigating. This has everything you'd expect: Hint and skip, diary and a map. The only new-ish things are the helper and a taskbar, which were okay additions.

The graphics are the same as always, but are still lovely. They are hand drawn with so much detail, and are a visual delight. Everything was so clear, and the character designs were great.
The voices just annoyed me. Especially when we got in to the other world. The voices of the creatures like the locust, the weepie and Little Johnny were just too much to bear. They were so annoying I skipped their dialogue, which is something I never do.

(to be continued in another post)

Go to: