Reviews for Mayan Phophecies: Cursed Island

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 1, 13 2:23 AM
CE vs. SE - Bonus Content Analysis

BASED ON COMPLETED CE GAME

JUST IMPRESSIONS (For full review of game/s please read my CE review)

This is a great sequel to the first Mayan Prophecies. It begins exactly where the earlier game finished and gives us another chance at appeasing Mayan gods. The story is entertaining enough to keep you interested through several hours of play.

The look of the game is better than in the first, with the same tropical greenery but with multi-hued contrasts. The volcanic eruptions are spectacular, TOTALLY real. Other touches I liked included the volcanic ashes fluttering about in the air. Another thing I noticed and appreciated was that the ‘junk piles’ needed for the HOPs often had to be created by the game play. For example, dropping a load from a crane.

BONUS CONTENT ANALYSIS

There are some wonderful features in this game. Sorting out which ones are CE exclusive is a bit tricky. It includes:

*Bonus chapter follows on from the point where the main story ended. It is not necessary for closure. Bonus chapter is longer than most, and is quite interesting. It doesn’t feel ‘tacked’ on, and includes a lot of new material. The achievements and collectibles continue through to the end.
*Strategy guide – didn’t really need it except for a couple of puzzles.
*20 Mahjong boards – playable ones, with real designs and minimum flash like powerups.
*Gallery includes wallpaper, concept art, movies (of all those wonderful volcanoes), screensavers and music.
*40 collectible hummingbirds, which must be brought into existence by activating an artifact or totem in each location.
*40 beyond objects (morphing).

*32 pieces of a Mayan calendar, which is NOT a CE exclusive and reveal the backstory.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

I loved having so much to do in each location, even though I almost never get the collecting achievements, I do enjoy coming across them whenever I can. Also I love the mahjong from the first game and can now enjoy these boards as well. So, personally, I am glad I bought the CE.

Which does not make this any less of a game. For half the price, it’s still a good buy!

I recommend this game!

Edited on 11/01/2013 at 8:37:13 AM PST

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mayan Phophecies: Cursed Island

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 1, 13 8:35 AM
Thanks for the great review JustTheFacts,

I'm just popping in to sticky the thread and post information.

What do you think of Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Mayan Prophecies: Cursed Island page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 1, 13 8:38 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 7, 13 11:34 PM
This sequel to the first Mayan Prophecies has a different developer from the first, and it is one whose games I always like.

There are four modes or levels of play. The custom option isn't present in this game as it was in the first, which is a disappointment. Nevertheless, I played the demo on easy didn't find the sparkles to be overwhelming, and the hint and skip buttons filled quickly. You can switch modes after starting the game by going to the options menu.

I agree with JustTheFacts that the look of Cursed Island is better than in the first game which I believe is due to the different developer.

There is voiceover (not the greatest acting ever but adequate and no grating voices so far) and an interactive map.

In the HOS, you can opt to play a game of mahjong by clicking on the link in the upper right corner of your screen.

The Mayan artifact which you have brought with you is used to accomplish some tasks, so don't forget to retrieve it afterward. It will be returned to your inventory.

Overall, I enjoyed the first game very much and this looks to be as good if not better, so it's a definite buy for me.

Edited on 11/07/2013 at 11:34:49 PM PST

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Nov 8, 13 6:55 PM
JustTheFacts is right on the money. I truly enjoyed the first game and as much enjoyed the second. Great voiceovers, graphics and music. I hope there is a 3rd game on the horizon. It's a must buy for me!
Happy gaming, everyone!

Edited on 11/08/2013 at 6:56:37 PM PST

Go to: