bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Reviews for Revived Legends: Road of the Kings Collector's Edition!

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 2, 13 9:18 AM
What do you think of Revived Legends: Road of the Kings Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Revived Legends: Road of the Kings Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for Revived Legends: Road of the Kings Collector's Edition!

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 2, 13 9:19 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

voiceofreason
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by voiceofreason on Nov 2, 13 11:54 AM
My review is based on opening the game and looking at what we may get for our double money.

Achievements............ yes but no idea what they are.

A bestiary which one would assume gets filled up during the game.

Sound, music and voice volume choices

Custom icon (meaning cursor)

SG.

Difficulty choices:-
Casual
Advanced
Hardcore
Interactive map can be turned on or off.
All of these CAN be changed during the game.

Have fun all

APOLOGIES. Forgot to say there are extras.
Music could not hear it but can be saved to you computer supposedly
Mini games, available at end of main game
Concept art, available
Wallpapers, available
Videos, available end of main game.

Edited on 11/02/2013 at 12:08:40 PM PST

voiceofreason
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by voiceofreason on Nov 2, 13 12:06 PM
Darn! There are also hidden "symbols" and if you did not look at the SG you would not know they were there! Unless you spend all day clicking each scene. LOL!
I am not a user of the SG normally but have done this to do a quick review as no one else has arrived here yet.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 2, 13 1:00 PM
Warning Major Cute Alert!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
And they just keep coming. I give up on trying to ignore them, the cute games just won’t stop and I can’t stop wanting them either! But if you are not into cute, RUN!

This game is in cute overload! In fact, it’s overload all the way. We even start with not one but two vehicle accidents! As well as 2 cute companions and a fairy who helps out with backstory!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The artwork on this one is a little primitive, clearly by design. The brush strokes are broad, lots of solid colour, everywhere very well lit. The many ‘magic creatures’ are drawn in loving detail and do seems magical. The fantasy world we visit is likewise lovely. The British voiceovers are good (and a nice change), the words are spoken a little too slowly for me, but not uncomfortably so. I love the music, which is light and relaxing.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
This is all a bit foggy (pardon the pun) in the early stages – I couldn’t quite get a handle on what was going on. We happen upon a man who has been enchanted into a tree, and that gets us into all sorts of trouble. An evil wizard has escaped from his tomb, he is controlling a terrible fog which will destroy not only our world, but another, magical one besides. We give and receive help from all manner of magical creatures on our quest down the Road of the Kings.

GAMEPLAY
Nothing startlingly new here. There are interactive lists for the HOPs. There are puzzles, easy through to “you’ve got to be kidding”. There is one puzzle that you replay each time you need a new rune charged. Each time it is a bit more challenging, but not the hardest mini-game by far.

The adventure is easy, and there’s a good map with “you can do something here” and “you’ve finished here” indicators – my favourite. It also jumping. The notebook is unobtrusive and I didn’t use it. Hint is directional. So it is pretty easy to get around and figure out what to do next.

BLING!.
Lots of collecting! We need to find 38 tiny little bells, which are definitely not easy to find. There are also 20 magical creatures for your bestiary, and crystals needed to restore the fairy’s power. These last two are not exclusive to the CE (although the bestiary probably is), because they are needed to complete the main game.

There are loads of achievements, and then there are the staples – gallery items, bonus chapter, SG, and replayable mini-games.

Think I'll wait for the SE, but...

I recommend this game!

voiceofreason
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by voiceofreason on Nov 2, 13 1:19 PM
Not much further in but there is nothing cute about this game. LOL!

If you are bored with the usual game type, try playing out of your comfort zone and go for the hardest mode.

Graphics very clear sometimes....................... smokey. LOL!

Nice review JustTheFacts

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 2, 13 6:09 PM
Lord of the Road of the Kings?

This game reminds me of LOTR (the music, the title, and a talking tree).

The story is a mixture of several fairy tales. Evil guy was imprisoned, got out, and now threatens the world. You are the only one who can stop him.

In the demo period, there are a few more puzzles than hidden object scenes. HO scenes are faily standard, but the are "introduced" cleverly as part of the action. The puzzles are fairly easy. One thing that bugs me is when (like in this game) there is a puzzle in the trial period that takes a long time to complete. Its one we've seen before where you reassemble several figures by matching the pieces one on top of the other. Had to skip to save time because it would take ten minutes.

There are many characters, they are interactive and and the voices are well done. You also get two "helpers" who do not have voices, a raccoon (not sure why these games use raccoons, they are nasty and would bite your hand off) and a little dragon. Some may find these "cute." Personally, I would prefer to find a ladder and a box of matches, but that's just me.

Drawing style is very colorful, a kind of playful reality, not too fairy tale-ish (yuck).

Your character is male! (how did THAT happen?). If that matters, I'm not sure as there were no spider webs or piles of leaves in the demo which could not be touched.

There are collectible bells and annoying (to me) awards just for advancing in the game. There are also (good) awards for not using hints.

Definitely worth a try, just not certain if it's worth a CE.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 3, 13 1:14 AM
There are a lot of things to like about this game; it's pretty to look at, bright and colourful with a decidedly 'fairytale' theme. Lots of unusual characters to meet, some of which you talk to and help out; along your journey you also acquire a dragon (for lighting fires etc) which you can give a name to and a raccoon (for climbing etc) which you can't name. Why the raccoon has to remain nameless is puzzling; perhaps he's wanted for a crime somewhere so has to stay anonymous

I lost the plot of the story after about 30 mins of the demo and even after buying the game, I'm still not sure what my ultimate goal is! And to be perfectly honest, I'm sorry now I didn't wait for the SE (but the sale was too tempting!). As others have said, it really is an overload of cute and the dragon constantly flapping at the bottom of the screen gets annoying after a while. The HOS seem to have multiplied from the demo and now there are loads of them, all just standard searches. Some of the puzzles I just didn't even understand and I skipped quite a lot of them. And the collectible bells are so tiny you need a magnifying glass to find them.

I also have to agree with whoever it was that commented on the black bar remarks; playing in advanced mode just gave me 'that wasn't my finest hour' or some other equally pointless comment when clicking on pretty much anything. I switched to easy mode after about 20 mins of the demo to avoid any more stupid remarks. It would appear that this developer has never heard the saying 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit'. This aspect of their games has put me off buying them in the past but easy mode does mostly eliminate these comments.

Overall the game is nice enough but I've really had enough of the cute fairytales now. Don't get me wrong; I love a good fairytale (been glued to the TV series Once Upon A Time!) but let's hope something comes along soon with a more grown-up theme.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 3, 13 5:14 AM
Delightful game! Beautiful art concept, bright colors, very good graphics and dreaming fantasy places to visit, mixed with ordinary real life objects scattered in almost every locations, I found this concept very peculiar and interesting<<<<<<<<<<<<!
I love the racoon and the little dragon they are just too cute!
Anew jump map, excellent strategy guide, nice music and sounds, and let's not forget the achviements and the collection of little bells everywhere! It sounds too good to be true? Maybe so, but I am only at the 2° chapter of this relaxing and smartly game, and up to now, I haven't skipped a minigame/puzzle yet!
I give a 5 and

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 3, 13 2:51 PM
Again, I am reviewing the game play and not the story. Graphics are nice, a bit old school, but it fits the story line. Game play was good..only had one glitch, but it righted itself when I went out and back in again, which I should not have to do. Music not too bad. Can't tell how long the game may be. I much prefer seeing how many chapters there are before I buy a game. Gives me some idea of how long I can play and if it is worth the CE price. Nice voice overs, but some areas you cannot click through if you read faster than they speak (didn't like that).

HOGs are clean and clear with easy to find objects. Puzzles are very simple, with one repeated at each new area, but gets a little harder with each play. Nice bright colors in this game. Locking inentory bar, which I really like. Helpful hint system and fills farily quickly. SG is the usual. The game is simple enough where you don't really need to use the SG and rarely use the hint.

More cute little animals, but that's okay. They are used well. You find little bells, which are not extremely difficult to find, but you do have to look for them. You also find animals, but I'm not sure I was really finding them, as they were in a scene and I was told I found one. Got tired of seeing "you completed a HOG in less than a minute" (yes, they were that simple).

Not a lot of shoe leather used on this one, but you do use the jump map on occasion. Very nicely set up and each location is identified, so you don't have to try to remember what a place looked like.

Okay, one comment about the story. Not sure what it is really. You get bits and pieces of an explanation, but so far, nothing has really tied together. Haven't seen anything from this dev for awhile. I kind of liked this one, even with the few minuses. This game was not extremely challenging, but for some reason, I found it to be fun. I may get this one on the special today. Just have to decide if I want to spend the money for the CE, but I will get one of them.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by ladybear101 on Nov 6, 13 4:25 PM
Enjoyed the demo, so purchased the Collector's edition... disappointed that there was only 15 minutes more of play... I will look at the bonus game, but feel that collector's editions should last more than 45 minutes.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Nov 20, 13 7:28 PM
TOO CUTE! Started to turn my stomach!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 14, 13 10:44 AM
Graphics approximate, so cute that I had to unload as fast as I could. Won't ask where it comes from, I have a good guess.

Where are the good old CEs ?? Only rubish now....

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Dec 22, 13 10:41 AM
WOW... this game is Awesome.. at first I thought oh great another stupid game for kids, but the more I played the more I liked it.. thank you

Go to: