Reviews for Stranded Dreamscapes: The Prisoner

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 3, 13 1:55 AM
Bit Of An “Also Ran”

BASED ON BOTH CE & SE DEMOS

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The intro to this game is VERY impressive. The diffident telling of the story of a fear-ridden girl who finally drifts down into catatonia is so sad and engaging. This is not an unknown story by any means, we have seen it many times before. But I can’t enough of stories centred around dreams and nightmares, and the curing of them. In this one, it is our niece who needs help in fighting her many phobias, which have driven her totally away from the world.

People not into bugs might want to skip this game, if the demo is a good example of what’s to come. So far the phobias have been of dogs and spiders, storms and being alone. Judging by the map, the demo covers about 1/3 of the game.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS

The graphics are okay in this game, a bit grainy and a little too cartoony. Well enough drawn, but not always well lit. One thing I always like is the way scenes change from their nightmare form to a happy comfortable dream, which is done here reasonably well, but again not impressively so. I also liked the holographic doctor. There is a aspect ratio toggle in the Options menu – a really great feature, it lets many more people with different systems to enjoy the graphics.

The sounds are well done, but the music is irritating in just a short while. The voiceover in the intro is awesome, but that bear is going to drive me nuts. The background noises are very good and add a great deal to the atmosphere.

GAMEPLAY

I would say the game is not difficult, if weren’t for the mini-games. There are 18 puzzles, most easy to moderate, but some I just had to skip. There are 13 HOPs (interactive list) visited twice. You also get an interactive jump map, and directional hint, but no journal. Plus that annoying bear helps out far more often than I liked, and usually I don’t mind that kind of thing. We are also in frequent contact with the professor on the outside monitoring the girl’s vital signs. He acts like a kind of cheer squad. “You’ve done it! She is improving!”

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

A decent fun game, but nothing I saw in the CE demo suggested this was of a CE standard, and replaying it now, I feel the same. I will probably buy the SE, but it is not at the top of my list.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 11/03/2013 at 8:19:31 AM PST

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Stranded Dreamscapes: The Prisoner

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 3, 13 8:18 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread going!

What do you think of Stranded Dreamscapes: The Prisoner? We'd love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Stranded Dreamscapes: The Prisoner page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you're experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 3, 13 8:19 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgFlounder

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 4, 13 12:52 AM
This is an easy game with nice artwork. I don't play puzzles, but the ones I encountered seemed fairly easy, and the skip button filled quickly enough. The HOS are easy as well. I tried the hint button, and it fills at the same rate as the skip. Hints are active outside the HOS and are the directional arrow type -- yea!

The story is about a mother who performed scientific experiments on her own daughter that resulted in putting the girl into a coma, and who, from the notes you find lying around, seems to be mostly unavailable -- "Sorry, I forgot to tell you about my business trip. I won't be able to pick you up from school. I love you. Mom."

This game is way too cutesy for me, but the main issue, I think, is that it tries to be cute-loveable and spooky-evil at the same time. The voice of the teddy bear helper is extremely grating, and the music is annoying enough to be a turn off even if the rest of the game was the best ever, which it isn't.

I definitely recommend trying before buying.

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Nov 9, 13 2:53 PM
Even with the dumb bear, I loved the graphics and so I bought the SE. If I had known that most of the game would be about trying to figure out how to make these weird machines work, I wouldn't have bothered. It really got boring. How annoying!

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Nov 10, 13 4:32 PM
Well, I have to say that I rather enjoyed the game in spite of trying to figure out how all the machines worked. The first part of the game is relatively easy-going and not too difficult. The last part of the game was really challenging for me. Honestly, I probably wore the little bear out punching his tummy to get a hint! There is a lot of going back and forth, so try to remember where everything is!
As far as the content of the game, it's interesting trying to get rid of the alter-ego of the poor little girl. It's nice to finally see her nightmares turn peaceful after all your hard work. Some of the puzzles were easy, some not so easy (for me). To be honest, I did skip one or two rather than rattle my brain over them.
If you don't mind back-and-forth travel and you have your brain rested after a good night's sleep, go for this game. As I said, the last part of the game was difficult for me, but then, that's me.......my 75th birthday is this month, so I'm old now!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 4, 14 7:29 AM
this was a fun game, pretty straitforward with some interesting puzzles

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 28, 14 9:52 PM
was okay. Barry made it more fun, Didn't much like all the snakes.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Aug 28, 14 9:53 PM
glad I had a free coupon for it.

Edited on 08/28/2014 at 9:55:33 PM PST

Go to: