Reviews for Greed: The Mad Scientist

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 5, 13 7:10 AM
Pretty Good, Actually

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
SO good to be a new story! Yes, we want to save the little brother, but with medication, not derring-do!

The intro to the game is not bad. The cut-scenes are, throughout the game, not of the highest quality, but this opening does give you a good understanding of the story. There are, for my liking, a few too many cut-scenes. If they had been a bit more ‘high impact’, I probably wouldn’t’ve minded them.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
This is a modern-day adventure with sci-fi overtones so, appropriately, the graphics are pseudo-realistic. I don’t particularly like this style, and many would call it outdated, but if you can’t be ‘pseudo-realistic in a sci-fi, when could you? I think the graphic style is mandated by the subject matter.

The sound track is well done. The special effects work, the background ‘music’ is minimalist electronica played only faintly and far away. The voiceovers are good. There is an attempt at lip sync that I feel gets close enough.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
A famous scientist has spent years since the loss of his wife and children (how is not yet known) developing a cure for cancer and many other ‘incurable’ diseases. On the night before the announcement to the world that he would be releasing this drug free of charge to the world an explosion and resulting fire destroys the lab. It is unknown if there are any survivors, but you meet a young woman whose brother was a special patient of the doctor/scientist.

As well, we must deal with a savage half man/ half monster, who is not happy to see us, but it seems as if he may be a product of an experiment gone wrong.

MAKING PROGRESS
A straightforward adventure, liberally sprinkles with fairly easy puzzles, this game treats the few HOPs scenes as puzzles as well. In other words, you can skip them altogether. I am sure that will appeal to some! For those who like HOPs, there are not as many as usual, and they are all interactive lists, but the graphics are clear and sharp and the objects are fairly relevant to time and place.

There are a few surprises in the ‘peripherals’ as well. The hint button gives you an actual hint, AND allows you to choose to jump to the spot. This is good, because the map is not at all interactive. The journal contains Summary, Evidence, Map, Tasks, and Diary.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 11/05/2013 at 10:02:12 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Reviews for Greed: The Mad Scientist

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 5, 13 8:02 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining too much but I was getting a bit sick of the latest trend of Fairy tales and cute creatures. Finally, a story for grown ups that takes place in an abandoned medical research lab. A world famous scientist Dr. Ralph Goodwin has promised to unveil a miracle drug able to cure almost all types of diseases known to mankind. Suddenly right before his press conference a mysterious explosion destroys his research laboratory and it seems that the cure is lost forever. A young girl named Sara asks for your help. It appears that her brother is a patient of the good doctor and with her help; you begin your adventure and investigate the case searching through the lab, looking for clues and discovering that there is much more than meets the eye with Sara. By the way, there is also a very creepy looking humanoid that is trying to stop you.

So the graphics are a bit dated and art work is a bit drab but seriously, they did a fantastic job with the lip sync and voice-overs. An excellent HOPA game that will have hard core players pleased as punch as you will soon note that the use of some gray cells is required.
There are four modes of difficulty and I chose the hardest, Detective mode during the demo trial. Game features include a file that holds your journal, a summary, evidence, a task list and a map that really is quite useless, no travelling so prepared to run around. Sara acts as your hint and depending on what level you choose to play, you will have the option to skip HO scenes if you like.

An excellent HOPA game with crowded Hidden Object scenes that involved a list of items to find. No interaction, just straight forward seek and find. Brings back fond memories of past HO games we use to have. Mini-games are simple but some do require patience or a good memory which you will also need during your adventure. The challenge is that as you begin to roam through the building, you find your inventory is getting full and you have to figure out where to use what. I particularly enjoyed figuring that out without any hand holding.
There are also collectables that are referred as achievements but since there is no extras mentioned in the main menu, I am curious as to why we need to collect them.

I liked the story, I liked the adventure and I really liked the fact that I had to use my memory and some logic. The game may be dated and definitely lacking in substance when compared to the newer CE games we have seen, but it's simplicity and lack of bells and whistles in this case make it an entertaining adventure game that I really enjoy, plus I really need to wean myself off the overly saccharine themes and tap into my dark side a bit. I do miss a good scary tale with a ghoul chasing me thru a creepy building.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 5, 13 8:32 AM
What do you think of Greed: The Mad Scientist? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Greed: The Mad Scientist page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 5, 13 8:33 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 5, 13 5:16 PM
Not too bad of a game, though as others have mentioned it's a very familiar story. The devs seem to be out of fresh ideas for new games & just rehash the old games over & over again.
The graphics aren't bad, the HOG's are the usual messy junk piles but the hint button is the best ever. None of "there's nothing to do here now" but actual useable hints. The voice overs/lip synch need some work. The story moves along quite nicely & actually has me wondering what is going to happen next. This will be a coupon buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 5, 13 8:04 PM
No story review, just game play. The graphics are cartoon like, but very well done. Game play is nice and smooth, no glitches for me. Voice overs are well done. Almost too much dialoge, which cannot be clicked through. You can skip it, but you may miss part of the story if you do. I read faster than they talk, so really need to be able to hurry it along a bit. Inventory bar does not lock in place..very annoying jumping up and down. Music not too bad. Nice sound FX.

HOGs are not many, but items you find are used within the game...very nice. They are fairly clean and easy to find items. You can also skip them if you like...very different addition. Hint system is helpful and allows you to jump to the location you need next, if you choose...also a very nice addition, since there is no jump map, and you are not penalized by using up the hint meter. Hint refills at about the usual time frame as other games. Skip fill is very long.

You have collectibles, which are not at all difficult to find, and achievements. Puzzles are not difficult either.

I don't know what it is about this game, but I really like it. Not extremely challenging, but fun and I find that I need to keep playing to see where it goes with the story line. This is a very nice SE for a change and one that I am using a credit to purchase. This most definitely is not geared to the children in the house...YES, about time!

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Nov 6, 13 9:20 PM
Thank you Big Fish for a great SE game! I am extremely grateful for it. Thanks to my friend, orphaned, I have found the fun in some match 3 games, but HO/adventure is my favorite! I am so happy with this non-CE game! The story was good, as was the mini-games. There was some surprising moments in the game, SPOILER ALERT!, like when one of the bad guys suddenly shot at us and hit the computer. Anyway, I love the wonderful, harder CE games with all the bells and whistles, but I also absolutely love games like this!

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 9, 13 12:14 PM
Had just finished another griping review about the same old same old when I decided to rethink how i look at the games......found this.....felt excited about a game which wasn't cutesy, magical, witchy or devily....so far.....will play the demo and be back

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 12, 13 1:57 PM
finished game
great fun, a few tricky moments when I had to make use of the hint, bur on the whole pretty good fun

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 13, 13 7:36 PM
Seriously good adventure SE, well worth buying IMO.
- Don't know what people are on about re game's graphics? Graphics are terrific, lovely colour palette & very realistic looking; slick programming too with all transitions seamless, super cutscenes & animations. Very clean.

- Great story sure, we've watched something like it on TV; but that's perfect to me: get the chance to play the role & do the engineering/tinkering. Good puzzles too!
And letting us skip hos is such a treat--actually, because devs gave me the *choice* I played them all & there aren't too many of them either, just a sensible number. Hos are crisp & not rubbish heaps.

- Game scenes are good variety. Elevator run is so realistic & the labs & locations very detailed & just plain interesting as I've not been in 50million labs. Dialogues & voice are high-quality. Liked game so much for settings & story I played it twice.

- Value-added with sensible collectibles but a sorrow that there's no achievement for that. Would've been perfect if from the Dr's awards we got at end a little puzzle to get him a cemetery plot or some such; and if from radioactive items we got to find them all again in a final hos & put them in a disposal container or some such.

- I'm glad devs didn't make game drag on for hours with tedious hos or unnecessary backtracking/padding; prefer this one as shorter with good story. Hints are helpful & journal well made/pretty as well. I did think we got too many clues/hints on hardest mode, however. (With fewer hints game would've been an hour longer. )

Overall a really engaging adventure IMO...
thank you devs & I can hardly wait for your next game.

renaki
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by renaki on Nov 14, 13 8:03 AM
This is a game for the boys -too many hammers, screwdrivers, and
other tools in general.

I am not fond of the girlish pink teddybear scenery but I do not like
these boyish scenery either.

Something in the middle for me, please.....

[Post New]by horsenbuggy on Jun 26, 14 4:33 AM
I strongly disagree that this game is "for the boys." I am female and LOVED this game. It was actually the first HOPA I ever played and I'm pretty disappointed that there are not more with a science theme like this. (It actually really annoys me that someone would call a science based game not something girls should be interested in.) I have no desire to play games about witches, fairies, demons, magic, etc. Sci-fi is more interesting to me. I don't mind if the characters have powers, but make those powers a result of science gone wrong (like X-Men or Spiderman) or being Aliens (like Thor) instead of magic, please.

Since this was my first game, I thought it was challenging. But I realize that now I would probably think it was just perfect. I'm glad that this game taught me how to play these kinds of games. It hooked me...and good.

I wish game developers from other companies would play this one and develop more games along these lines. The features in the game were great (hints and such). The layout of the game was great (I loved the mansion). And the story was interesting enough to keep me moving along but didn't distract from play.

MaddiWolfe
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by MaddiWolfe on Aug 24, 14 1:37 AM
I like the game very much.

It's just that I feel the need for a walkthrough to be able to play it.

Go to: