Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Review for Myths of the World: Stolen Spring Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 7, 13 3:06 AM
Who didn't love the game, Chinese Healer? The Myths of the World Series always manages to offer interesting storylines, beautiful graphics, well acted voice-overs and entertaining game mechanics. Stolen Spring adds a little more pleasantries such as an ermine companion who you will need and naturally extras as well.

Today our story is based on a Slavic theme and it is the battle of the Season. Winter has taken over and she is bent on freezing the world and getting rid of Spring Goddess Vesna all-together. Your mission as the Child of Spring is to naturally stop her and bring back Spring. First you need to find Baba Yaga who will help you.

I will be honest with you, as I am dearly pressed for time; I only played 30 minutes of the game and already have hit the buy button. I really will not be able to offer a very comprehensive review this time but will say that all I needed was peeking at the main menu to know that this game was a buy for me. You have three levels of difficulty setting along with a chance to customize it. Extras offer free games, a bonus game and a list of achievements which always makes a game interesting.
Game features include a diary and a list of objectives. You have a map that will offer a task list if you choose so. It will also allow you to travel. Then there is your pet Ermine which I named Erskin. You pet has very sharp teeth which will prove to be useful to you. You need to collect pet coins which are easy to spot throughout the game and you guessed it, you get to buy silly toys for your pet. If you click on the Ermine, you are transported to his room which by the way you can change various furniture and settings. You can also change his looks if you want with your coins.

OK, a bit of a family game here, an old folk tale with again a cute creature and some not so cute. Still I enjoy these games and I enjoy the storyline. Myths of the World brings us an entertaining HOPA game with interactive HO scenes that can be switched over to M3 Games instead for those who are weary of looking for items. I especially like that option and as I am a fan of M3 games, not a bad choice to make. Standard Adventure game play has you taking on tasks to help certain characters, looking for items of interest and solving the occasional mini-game which are not so difficult.

A Great Game that is entertaining for all and has all the bells and whistles that deserve a CE status.

Edited on 11/07/2013 at 8:13:57 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Review for Myths of the World: Stolen Spring Collector's Edition

[Post New]by rainworm on Nov 7, 13 5:53 AM
Hi all,

seems a good game to me too. This is the second game in the series (?). First one was the chinese healer,which was great too.

Have not yet made up my mind, whether to buy or wait for the SE.

So far I recommend this game.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 7, 13 7:15 AM
Frankly, I think this game is a disappointment compared to Chinese Healer. It is not as visually stunning, the game play lacks challenge, and please, a helper I can name and buy things for with easily found collectible coins. No brain power required to know when to use the helper, or the other magic item that clears ice. Even the puzzles are insultingly easy.

Granted, the features we have come to expect -- fast travel map, alternative to HOs -- and the CE extras we look for -- collectibles, achievements, etc. -- are included; but there is nothing exciting in the actual game play or the story that carries it along.

Pass for me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 7, 13 7:41 AM
I loved 'Chinese Healer'; the whole oriental feel of the game really was captivating and even the bonus chapter was wonderful. So I was looking forward to playing this new game but sadly it just didn't live up to expectations. It seemed to me just another HOPA set in a snowy world, needing shovels, ice picks (or other similar tools) and something to melt ice. Been there, done that a dozen times in recent games.

And oh dear I've got a pet; an amazing creature who by some miracle can turn pretty much any old thing I find into a useful tool. Last thing he did was gnaw on a stick and I got a screwdriver; honestly, I like fantasy stories but that's taking things a step too far. But even worse, I get to find coins which I can spend on his house and wardrobe I passed on that.

The graphics are lovely, the HOS are either standard inter-active searches or silhouettes which can be replaced by Match 3 if you prefer. I didn't, since the Match 3 virtually plays itself by showing you available moves, so quickly became boring. The voices were well done, 4 choices of gameplay mode (including custom), transportable map and the few puzzles I encountered were ridiculously easy.

There was just nothing about this game that grabbed me enough to buy the CE. No doubt many will love it but I'll wait for the SE.

Edited on 11/08/2013 at 1:34:49 AM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Nov 7, 13 8:04 AM
Our adventure begins as you are looking out the window at what seems to be the longest winter you can remember when suddenly you hear a voice behind you. You turn to see Vesna the Goddess of Spring who appears in your mirror and tells you that she has been kidnapped by Morana the Goddess of Winter who is turning the world to a land of ice and snow. You play the game as the Child of Spring, the only one who can stop Morana and return warmth to the world. Vesna sends you on a quest to find a wise old woman Baba Yaga who lives in a hut in the distant forest but she can only send you as far as the village gates. After that, you must rely upon your instincts and Vesna’s animal friends to help you on your quest. As she leaves you at the gates, Vesna hands you a magic Spring Brush that will help you on your journey.

Early into the game you rescue an Ermine who becomes your pet and helper. Yes, you have a pet helper that you get to name but don’t despair if you have reached your limit with overly cute animals being added to games, because your Ermine friend does prove to be useful and will assist you when you need it most. As you move through your adventure you also meet many other animals, some of them friendly and useful but others not so much who are only there to hinder you along the way.

I’m not going to say a lot about the technical aspects of playing the game except to note that you have a custom option for gameplay, and it is loaded with choices.

The graphics are excellent being very colorful and crisp. As is becoming the case with Eipix games the sound package is very good including lip-synced voiceovers, excellent music and environmental sounds.

You have a diary that contains your objectives as well as your notes that will help you as you progress on your adventure. The interactive transporter map that indicates where you have tasks to accomplish is located on the lower right of your screen next to the hint flower. The magic Spring Brush that you receive from Vesna at the beginning of the game lives across the top of your inventory box. Be sure to watch for areas where you can use the brush because if it very helpful at times.

(Continued)

Edited on 11/07/2013 at 8:07:04 AM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Nov 7, 13 8:08 AM
(Continued)
There are various types of interactive HOS, some are the standard list type and others are silhouette type. If you would rather play a match 3 game rather than look for items on the list, you have that option as well. During the demo there were not as many puzzles as there were HOS, and I prefer a game that is just the opposite – more puzzles than HOS but that is not the case with Stolen Spring. The few puzzles I did encounter were very easy and there was hardly any challenge.

Throughout the game you will find and collect pet coins to use presumably to purchase items for your Ermine pal. Although there are achievements to be earned, I didn’t notice any morphing objects or other collectibles. The remainder of the CE content is standard fare with nothing exceptional in the package. Early on at BFG, we had to pay $6.99 for the strategy guide and that is the only extra that has true value in the CE at least for me. Oftentimes we now find walkthroughs available at no extra charge so it really boils down to the cost difference and whether or not you can wait a month for the SE version of a game to be released when deciding which version of the game you want.

Overall, Myths of the World Stolen Spring is an excellent five-star game, and maybe is even better than the first Myths of the World – The Chinese Healer. That being said, I’m not sure if I will purchase the CE or wait for the SE to be released but I guess it will depend on what type of sale BFG has in store for us this weekend. As always, I recommend that you try the demo to see if Stolen Spring is a game that you will enjoy.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Nov 7, 13 8:15 AM
G'day,

I just popped in to sticky the thread.

Thanks to Nilosh for starting it and to everyone for the great discussion so far.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Nov 7, 13 11:00 AM
Based On Demo:

Because truly, the cutesy little helper I can buy toys and treats for made me lose my breakfast - and I couldn't get past that.

Why change a successful formula from the first 'Myths of the World', for an unoriginal and 'gutwrenching' (not in a good way), schema with an annoying helper?

Thankfully, I have Beta'd 'Myths of the World: Spirit Wolf' and I'm delighted to say that none of this nonsense is present. Further, black bar tips are kept at a minimum and, provided they don't change anything, it will be a totally awesome game, full of challenges.

Kathyj77
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyj77 on Nov 7, 13 12:16 PM
Looks like a game for me. I love graphics, story line. Hint seems fast enough if you need it. No issues here.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 7, 13 3:10 PM
I, too, found this game to be childish and simplistic. There was no challenge in either the hidden object scenes or the "puzzles" if you want to call them that. Even in the "Insane" level of play, the game play was disappointingly easy. I'm an animal lover, too, but I've grown tired and bored with these cute little fuzzy animals/helpers that we get to name and buy toys and clothes for. That's OK if you're 8 years old, which I certainly am not. For those of you who enjoy this game, I'm glad for you. I passed on last week's CE offerings, and it looks like this week will be a pass, too.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 7, 13 5:55 PM
Okay, enough copying each other with the cute little animals! That said, I have the first two games in this series and really enjoyed them both, with the first being the very best. You have already read the reviews on the story, so on with the game play. The graphics were nice and game play was good. Didn't care for the black out of the screen when you went to what I assume was a new chapter...took too long. Voice overs were nice and appropriate for the time and setting. I was disappointed in that there were very few sound FX and this game was prime for them. Did have a locking inventory bar...thank you very much and a jump map, which you will use constantly. There is a tremendous amount of running around in this one as well.

SG only shows 2 chapters, which makes me wonder how long it really is and if it's worth the price of a CE. HOGs were very simple and you could switch between HOG and match 3 if you wanted something different. Puzzles were extremely simple...no brain work here. SG was helpful and well put together. Hint system was also very helpful and filled fairly quickly. The one thing I really didn't care for, and thought was a bit weird, was the dancing sunflowers that popped up every time you thawed something out. Yes, there were collectibles, but not much fun there either. Very easy to see.

This game was no where near as exciting or challenging as the first. It had the making of a very nice game, but fell short a bit. I liked it, for a simple game, but I'm not sure I will pay the CE price for this one, or wait for the SE. I think this will go in my puddle until I decide, or until a really great sale comes along. I will add it to my collection at some point.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this on at all. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 7, 13 5:55 PM
I am unable to unfreeze the ermine in the well & there has not been a response to my request for help. Sorry devs this is a NO SALE. I'm getting VERY annoyed at all of the glitches in EVERY new game. How about waking up the quality control people & have them do there job & get us some glitch free games for a change!!!!!

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 7, 13 6:38 PM
I assume you've used the "flower amulet" given to you by the Spring Maiden or whatever she is. It's located on the top of your inventory box. It does take several "swipes" with these magic flowers, and a whole field of sunflowers pop up when you've broken through the ice.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Nov 7, 13 6:51 PM
I really wanted to like this game, as it was beautifully drawn, but as others have said, it was just too easy. I played without sparkles or hints and it was still childishly easy. I guess I'll wait a little longer. Try it for yourself, sometimes you want an easy game just to idle away a few hours.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Nov 7, 13 7:06 PM
nightkat1 wrote:I, too, found this game to be childish and simplistic. There was no challenge in either the hidden object scenes or the "puzzles" if you want to call them that. Even in the "Insane" level of play, the game play was disappointingly easy. I'm an animal lover, too, but I've grown tired and bored with these cute little fuzzy animals/helpers that we get to name and buy toys and clothes for. That's OK if you're 8 years old, which I certainly am not. For those of you who enjoy this game, I'm glad for you. I passed on last week's CE offerings, and it looks like this week will be a pass, too.

I second this...well put!

I don't know what triggered this recent change in games to being fantasy tales with sweet, adorable, cute, warm and fuzzy animal stuff. To me it's like going from reading meaty, absorbing books to reading mass-produced-to-a-formula Romantic novels. I find it all dull, yet there are several games out there with fantasy or Space or hey how about this.....? .......truly inventive, creative different, fresh ideas and story. This ain't one of them, sad to say, and after finding the 2nd animal in pain and suffering, that's enough for me. This game seems to have been phoned in. The incredible CEs I still keep in my GM because they blew me away when I played them have been waiting for more company for a long time. This game will be liked by many so don't go by me; I just find it tediously simple.

molly539
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by molly539 on Nov 8, 13 4:16 PM
Just finished the demo and it's a no buy for me. I don't mind the cute animals but I did find the puzzles seemed to be set to a kid's level of difficulty. Don't get me wrong, I love and play kid's games but I don't want to shell out CE prices for them. I also felt that the devs couldn't decide whether this was supposed to be Russian/Slavic (Baba Yaga being a Russian fairytale I heard from my Russian grandmothers) or Native American in theme - the drum beat punctuating many of the actions throughout the game for example (BTW, that drum was annoying). Voiceovers were well done, graphics were OK and I liked the story but in total, the game just wasn't as good as The Chinese Healer.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Nov 9, 13 1:35 AM
I have made a promise to myself to go easy on games I didn't like and try to be gentle. But in this case, I'm afraid, I can't help it otherwise and unfortunately I don't have a spokesperson to get me out of the predicament.

This game was a huge disappointment for me. One of the worst CE I have ever played, if not the worst. And I have played many. While playing I kept wondering: Is this game from Eipix studios? Could this be a mistake? Well, it wasn't.

The only thing I found good enough were voice overs and lip sync. Apart from that, nothing. Story? Weak, not interesting. Graphics? Poorly done and fuzzy. Music? Annoying. HOS? Amateurish. Puzzles? Ridiculously easy even for me! Bonus chapter? Short, needless. For me an excuse to baptize the game a CE. The whole game was bad, so bad I regret I bought it. But for that I have only myself to blame.

As others have pointed out already, there seems to be a "trend'" with cute animal helpers needing care. Apparently Eipix couldn't avoid it so on one side there is this cute creature helping us and on the other, animals in danger we need to rescue! Huh? I don't mind cutesy but seeing it in almost every new game becomes increasingly tedious and the scenes with the little animals in danger could have been omitted really.

Eipix's latest releases are rather disappointing I have to say and certainly not the kind of games we have grown familiar with by them. I do realize of course how difficult it must be to create something from zero and the amount of time and effort these projects require and I appreciate this very much. I also understand that it's not possible for every game to be a masterpiece but at least let it be good. Especially since we are spending a great deal of money on them.

I'd recommend this game only as an SE and that with the use of a PCC. You could just skip it as well. You won't be loosing too much.

I'm sorry for my negative comments but I felt like I had no other choice. I'm expecting to see much better games from this developer in the future.

Edited on 11/12/2013 at 7:17:43 AM PST

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 9, 13 8:25 AM
Agree, agree, agree! Couldn't believe this tosh from these devs
Back to the drawing board, guys! And no animal sidekicks in the next one please !

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 9, 13 8:58 AM

Game should be called : Children of the World: Stolen Myths

Childish, easy, not even worth downloading. Please, no more "helpers" either.

I loved the first Myths: Chinese Healer. Not this one. Too bad.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Nov 9, 13 4:39 PM
I didn't mind the ermine that much. But was it childish...my god!

What the heck was up with the sunflowers and the rainbows? I think that ouside of the Care Bears and My Little Pony, hardly any children's games are like that.

For some reason, it gave me the impression that the developers began with a decent proposal ( a Slavic myth), but whoever did the finishing touches, dress it up a bit too cutesy. Here's the thing: you don't have to make the game childish in order to tone down the darkness in it. If they didn't want something so dark, they should have chosen another myth ( the Slavic/Nordic tales are notoriously dark). Either do it all the way, or don't do it at all. This mix of different styles and tone is just a disaster.

The graphics weren't that great either, and there was a bit too much of doing menial chores that really were nothing more than an excuse to lenghten the game.

Overall : a good premise that went downhill just within the trial. If you feel like playing the game any longer is a drag, that is not a good sign.

Go to: