Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Reviews for Cursery: The Crooked Man and the Crooked Cat

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 9, 13 1:55 AM
The Dark Parable series have always been amongst my favorites and now from their creators, we have Cursery: The Crooked Man. I remember the nursery rhyme from my childhood, it began with: there once was a crooked man who walked a crooked mile...... I always wondered what a crooked man would look like.

Our dark tale begins with the abduction of a young girl. It appears that for more than a century, girls of a certain age have been mysteriously vanishing, never to be seen again. Rumor has it that they were taken by the Crooked Man, who always travels with a strange little black cat at his side. According to the story, he takes the girls who resemble his dead fiancé which tells us he is a serial abductor. Now he’s kidnapped your very own sister and your mission begins by solving the riddles in the Cursery and finding out who’s really is the mastermind behind this whole evil plot.

This is a beautiful game with stunning graphics and artwork. Most of the scenes are dark but sharp with haunting music in the background and ambient sounds that bring the game alive. I know I was complaining about Fairy tales and cute creatures, but really there isn't anything cute about the creatures here.

Main Menu offers you three levels of difficulty to choose from. You have a map that will allow you to jump as well as indicate areas of interest. We actually have a very entertaining HOPA game with Fragmented Object scenes. Actually as I have only played the demo trial, I only came across one scene and it was fragmented. The game is riddle with puzzles and mini-games that not only are well executed, but some are a delight to play. I simply loved the three blind mice game that I cam across the first chapter.

As for extras, there are plenty of them to make this game well worth the extra pennies. You have morphing objects to locate, notes to collect and achievements to earn along the way. Also the bonus game offers you another story of Humpty Dumpty.

Its dark, it’s a bit disturbing but also beautiful to look at. Although the black bar hints are a bit too much, I hardly noticed them. I think Cursery will be a hit and I expect other famous characters will be coming our way soon enough. KUDOS to the Tea drinking Group for this new series.

Have a great week-end with this one!

Edited on 11/09/2013 at 9:06:23 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cursery: The Crooked Man and the Crooked Cat

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 9, 13 2:10 AM
"There was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence against a crooked stile;
He bought a crooked cat which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together in a little crooked house."

Well leave it up to the good peeps at Blue Tea to take this little" nursery rhyme and put an awesome twist on it in this exceptional game. I am a huge catlover, and that bad cat is right up my 'alley'. The VO's are done exceptionally well. No need for subtitles. And the one who did Renee's voice has a really pretty singing voice. I listened to it while I collected stuff

Story: According to Marianne the dude with the cat lost his fiance and so now he kidnaps young fair maidens in hopes to get one close to his fiance. Unfortunately your poor sister got tangled up in the mess. Now it's up to you to not only save your sis, but all the ladies he captured as well. She will be one busy Missy.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. I love to stop and look before continuing on.

Music: Beautiful done and fits great with the game.

Mini games: Fun! Not to hard or easy for me, just right.

Hint System: Works outside of the H0GS as well as the H0GS.

Map: Jump map to make your travels a little easier.

I definitely rate this a 10 no question. Awesome game and kudos to the team.

Edited on 11/09/2013 at 2:20:11 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 9, 13 3:43 AM
Crazy Cats & Crooked Fairy Tales
BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The developers of this game made a name for themselves in making FROGs (where we put FRAGMENTED OBJECTS together to make the most gorgeous artifacts you could ever hope to see) based on twisted fairy tales. Their distinctive series, “Dark Parables”, is just about the epitome of “absolutely beautiful”. So, can they pull it off again, with another, somewhat differently designed, fairy tale FROG?

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Well, the game is certainly beautiful, imaginative and colourful, but I felt the graphics were a bit rough around the edges and at times too dark. I was put off immediately by the fact that the game’s visuals were not designed for widescreen/aspect correction. A game that relies so heavily on graphical splendour should really do better than this. So, I think, perhaps there is something more to this game?

Well, the music is certainly sensational. I absolutely love it. It is fairy tale light, with a jaunty air at times and a sombre timber at others, and the ambient sound is good . The voiceovers are nicely done, if a bit too high pitched for my liking.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Yes, well, that’s definitely confusing at this point. There is a old folk legend about this forest, our sister says, about a crooked man and young girls who disappear never to be seen again. Then of course, she is whisked off by a crooked man and his equally crooked cat. Now, I know we’re all out of cuteness, so let me reassure you, this is NOT a cute companion. In fact, he’s downright dangerous – and his cousin is even worse! I literally jumped and moved away from the monitor, on reflex. Nup, definitely not cute.

MAKING PROGRESS
This game is another FROG, but the FROG scenes are few and far between. Instead we are constantly meeting new puzzles at every turn. These are excellent and inventive puzzles, including wonderful puzzle boards, and even this early in the game, one was too hard for me. Their integration into the gameplay is fairly arbitrary though. The quests are limited and not always intuitive. I found myself relying on hint to get me around.

There is a directional hint, and (a first from these developers) an interactive jump map (with really cool pop up locations). It tells you where there is an active area of interest. The problem was, whenever I used it, it said there were no active etc.’s, so it was of little help.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 9, 13 3:45 AM
cont'd

BLING!
Well, there’s some nice goodies here. There are 20 cursed (morphing) objects to collect, plus some things listed simply as ‘items’. There are pop-up notes (7), and 25 achievements. These are given once for each puzzle completed – so, 25 puzzles. There are 6 chapters, plus the bonus chapter. The demo covers the first 2. There are also the usual gallery items and replayable puzzles. SG was helpful.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I like it, and I loved having a cat as the enemy, but not so much that I’ll rush out immediately and buy the CE. Cool collectibles aside, I did find the graphics a bit disappointing, and the gameplay a bit off. Still, there’ll be 1000s who’ll love this game. For them,...

I recommend this game!

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Nov 9, 13 5:51 AM
Once I read in Reviews this was a Blue Tea game, I bought without playing the demo as I love their games. Their storytelling and artwork are excellent and they do not disappoint with this new game. Unfortunately, I have a major glitch which I have commented on in the Technical Difficulties Forum. Hope it's fixed right away so I can get back to enjoying what I am sure will be a wonderful gameplaying experience over the weekend.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Nov 9, 13 6:31 AM
I love Blue Tea games and had this one on to get list.But not sure now,since at the end of the demo I was over half way through chapter two.I think there were 6 chapters plus bonus,so looks to be a short game,i'll have to do some thinking on this today if I want to catch on sale or wait for SE.There is a lot going on in this one.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 9, 13 7:52 AM
I generally love the Dark Parable games and mostly like Blue Tea, but this game gave me some problems: I'm somewhat dyslexic, so some mini-games are probably harder for me than for other people, usually the ones where you click on something and things slide into place (or not), endlessly cycling around. There seem to be a lot of those in this game, plus some truly useless mini-game instructions, but if you skip, you get a several minute penalty on the hint refill -- I haven't seen that in a game in quite some time. I actually started the game on middle difficulty and when I realized I was going to have to wait for the hint button to refill if I did skip, I went back and adjusted to easy difficulty, and still, the hint button took quite a long time to refill after I skipped a mini-game. So, that was really problematic. I think by having the penalty, you are forced to use the SG if you want to move on in the game, so having the SE might be frustrating and not possible for me at all -- plus I do love morphing objects. This isn't to say the map isn't helpful, but not that much. Other things: for some reason, Blue Tea, at least as far as my Windows 8 is concerned, hasn't come up with a true widescreen formula, so everything is stretched to fit, making things look, well, wider than they would normally be. I found the quality of the graphics not as crisp as I would have liked. Finally, the story of this game reminds me of a version of the Frog Prince, yet another maddened man wreaking havoc. Also, is it really true that all the players for these games are women with a devout interest in saving their sisters/children/husband/boyfriend? Well, I'm a woman and the sister of several, but how about some variety. Anyway, for me, I think this is no buy.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 9, 13 9:05 AM
What do you think of Cursery: The Crooked Man and the Crooked Cat Collectors Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Cursery: The Crooked Man and the Crooked Cat Collectors Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 9, 13 9:07 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Nov 9, 13 9:14 AM
I beta tested this game and one of my cons was that the hint button was disabled for a few minutes after using the skip button on a mini game. I see the devs didn't listen and that is still a problem. Other than that I find this a beautiful Blue Tea game and I really enjoyed it

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 9, 13 10:20 AM
Two words convinced me to buy this game without even trying the demo; Blue Tea! I was just thinking a day or so ago that it was long past time for a new game from this developer and my wishes have been answered with another visual feast.

The usual stunning graphics in a slightly darker themed game than we've seen from Blue Tea. There are less HOS than usual, which for me was a little disappointing; I love FROG's and would have liked more searches for the beautiful items. Many more puzzles in this game, mostly of a similar type (moving numbers to the correct places on a clock will give you an idea of how these are presented) but there are others that are different and a lot of fun to work out!

The music was lovely, voices nicely done, morphing objects to find and a bonus chapter about Humpty Dumpty! Can't wait to play that Main game took around 5 hours on the middle choice of modes. Widescreen was fine on my monitor with no stretching. Loved every minute of this game

ETA: Very annoyed now to find out that apparently there is a sale today for CE's using the code CLASSIFIED. Nothing in my GM shows this (I use the previous version) and e-mail this morning had nothing about it. So I paid full price when I could have got it in the sale

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 9, 13 11:23 AM
angelfish wrote:
"Very annoyed now to find out that apparently there is a sale today for CE's using the code CLASSIFIED. Nothing in my GM shows this (I use the previous version) and e-mail this morning had nothing about it. So I paid full price when I could have got it in the sale".

I think it's only for apps, angelfish.
I think ..
Jo

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 9, 13 11:27 AM
No, I was wrong!

I used the coupon and got it for half price!
Thanks BF!
Jo

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 9, 13 12:07 PM
Based on Demo - Story is a rehashed nursery rhyme with a storyline that has been used over & over again. A member of your family has been kidnapped & you go after the kidnapper. (yawn) The graphics are cartoonish & music is the usual boring/annoying genre type. There are a lot of background sounds from different animals such as crows & cats. This becomes irritating very quickly. Haven't decided, yet, if it's a buy for me.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Nov 9, 13 1:05 PM
Athough the game may seem to start off slow, after getting into it I realized what a great game Blue Tea has developed.

A great thing about Cursery is that there are more puzzles and mini games than FROGS. Even though FROGS are not my favorite type of HO games, I love the ones that come to us from Blue Tea since the scenes are so gorgeous. This game is no exception and I am totally enjoying the adventure.

The puzzles seem different than what we normally find and some of them are a bit challenging. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying each puzzle that I encounter.

The team from Blue Tea has presented a game that I would give ten stars since, IMHO, it has everything I look for in a game. There is a great story, beautiful graphics and sound. Everything in Cursery is spot on.

Huge congratulations to Blue Tea for a wonderful game. The Red Riding Hood Sisters was one of my favorite games in the Dark Parables series and Cursery has now moved into that spot.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 9, 13 1:12 PM
A nice cup o' tea from the devs. Actually, like most nursery rhymes, this one refers to an actual historical incident during the time of King Charles of England. There is another, lesser known rhyme about the crooked man.

There was a crooked man,
And he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence
Upon a crooked stile.

He bought a crooked cat,
Which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together
In a crooked little house.
He brought it crooked back
To his crooked wife Joan,
And cut a crooked snippet
From the crooked ham-bone.

This refers to the treaty signed by the Scottish general Leslie who signed a treaty with England. The "crooked stile" refers to the dividing line between the two countries and the "crooked little house" refers to the uneasy peace between the two countries.

Our Aussie facts lady has brilliantly outlined the games. However here is my two "pence" worth. The graphics are a little grainy on my computer and it is a fairly new, high speed little monster. I understand that many of the devs are going for the more "muted" tones, but to me, this is way too "muted." However, the game concept is brilliant. It seems that these devs might develop games from other fairy tale rhymes and there are so many. However, the fairy tale genre is getting a little stale on this site. I do like the puzzles which are a variations of similar ones I have seen previously. The hog scenes are just that - hog scenes. However, what I like about this game is that you don't have many of them in this game. The map is decent, the morphing objects are fairly easy to find and best of all, you do not have to either adopt or name an animal! And even better - you don't have to dress them in cutesy costumes or feed them either! I love the black cat - kinda like Grumpy Cat on steroids and the two-tone eyes are amazing! I will purchase this game today to have something to do on a boring Saturday.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Nov 9, 13 3:03 PM
ok, just finished the hour demo and it's a no buy, at least not as a CE, for me. i'll try it again when the SE is released, but i seriously doubt my opinion will change.

i did like the music, but the cawing crows, even after released, got on my nerves.
the graphics were a bit TOO detailed, making it harder to see what i needed to see. perhaps that was the object, i don't know.

i don't care for FROGs, sorry, because i like looking for a recognizable *thing* rather than an unrecognizable *bit* of a thing. just a personal preference, BUT, in the entire demo i think there was only one FROG scene, which was fine by me. i prefer puzzles and adventure over HOGs OR FROGs anyway.

speaking of puzzles, these were all rather odd, but still rather easy. they were all animal themed (as is the entire demo, since it seems *everything* is nursery-rhyme related). make the duckies hop? find the bunnies their homes? please.

i also like my games to have some LOGIC to them. at one point, i had several sets of brambles, thorns etc AND i had a pruning saw! did the pruning saw WORK? of course not! i came across this same lack of logic several times and it bugged me.

i appreciate having three levels of difficulty, so i played on the third, which means NO hints, NO skips, NO map, NO nothing.
fine.
BUT... collecting the morphing objects fills the hint meter faster. WHAT HINT METER?
so, if they don't fill the hint meter i don't have, what's the point of worrying about finding them? i didn't see anywhere that there is some sort of achievement for finding them all.
i don't always like to see devs copy each other, but in this case, i sure would like a customizable level of difficulty, where i can keep hints and skips on the off chance i might get stuck but do away with the sparkles and constant black bar tips.
please?

and finally, does every single box, crate, door, gate, etc need a missing emblem... or two? aren't there other ways to open things? i came across ONE place that needed a "bunny key" and one place that needed a crowbar... but then that opened to a box that needed TWO emblems! sorry, but it gets old after a while. a little more imagination would be nice!

so, sorry blue tea, but this game just bugged me too much to buy. but i DO appreciate that it makes a lot of other players happy... and them i say... ENJOY!

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Nov 9, 13 6:37 PM
Well I read some of the reviews for this game and thought oh boy a fun one. Nope not pleased to many scrollie looking things -- - - to much well just to much stuff in each frame I guess is how I should put it. Would have been pretty and fun with 1/2 the swirlies and piles of stuff all over.. Also every time you click on something you get a black box that talks about what you clicked on even if it is not important ?? using 10 words when 5 would do nicely. The game just looks like an over decorated Easter Egg or Christmas tree to me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,197 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 9, 13 6:41 PM
I loved the Dark Parables and have them all, so I was excited to see this one come out. Story has already been covered, so on with the game review. The graphics were nice, a bit grainy, but clear enough. Game play was good. I loved the music and I usually always turn it way down...not this one. Very nice voice overs, appropriate for time and setting. You could not click through the dialoge, if you read faster than they speak...I do and this is annoying. Speaking of annoying, the crows were over-done.

SG was the usual and was helpful. Jump map was good only because it identified the location so you didn't have to remember where something was, but blurry pictures. Hint system was helpful and filled at the usual speed. I really like the fragmented HOGs, but some items really blended in with the background and were a little difficult to see. Did not run across a lot during the demo. Puzzles were different and challenging for the most part.

Yes, there are collectibles that are not all that easy to spot, as well as achievements. Not sure why collecting morphing objects would fill a hint meter, since it fills fairly quickly. There is a click penalty, which we haven't seen in a game for quite some time. This was a very nice game. The music caught my attention from the very beginning and the demo seemed to go by very quickly. Crows and the somewhat fuzzy graphics aside, I liked this game and I will purchase it. At this point, I'm not sure if I want the CE or wait for the SE. I don't give 5 stars easily and the only thing holding me back on this one, is the graphics. Otherwise, very nice game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Kathyj77
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyj77 on Nov 9, 13 6:41 PM
I totally love Blue Tea games. This is certainly a buy for me. No disappointment here.

Go to: