catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Reviews for Treasures of the Caribbean

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 11, 13 12:52 AM
What do you think of this game? Post your reviews here!

Edited on 11/11/2013 at 8:29:20 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Treasures of the Caribbean

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 11, 13 4:18 AM
Thanks for setting up the thread catbag!

Sadly, It’s Just Not Good Enough
BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Well, the first thing to get straight, is, yes, this is obviously designed for young kids. Which is not the same as saying ‘childish’. So I will be evaluating the game with that in mind.

This game is professionally put together, but harks back to a style of HO game we rarely see now. It is a valid choice though, and one I think suits ‘family entertainment’. It doesn’t strike me as the sort of game kids of tween years would play on their own. It is not fast, furious and loud enough (*cheeky grin*).

And it does require a fairly sophisticated understanding of the world whilst keeping the gameplay simple. So I can imagine Gran and the preteen kids come the next school holidays...

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics style is light, cartoon drawn, very ‘washed out watercolour’. Pretty without being cute. It is of a good quality, but not popular at the moment, and does make the game seem fairly flat. The music is, I swear, the same 3 or 4 bars throughout! The dialogues are written, there is no voice, and only rare special effects.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
I personally hate the way this story is told, but I think it would work for the younger crowd. Two children, aged 8 and 10, discover a diary in the attic, which suggests there is pirate treasure nearby. They, of course, set out to find it. The tale is told by the kids having a few lines of dialogue between and sometimes within HO scenes. Sometimes information is found in the location. Literally half the game time (approx.) is taken up with these asides.

GAMEPLAY
The game is formulaic. First, the kids find an envelope, have a conversation about it and decide their next moves to a different location, where a list will be discovered of items they must find. Having done so, they may get an inventory item and/or a puzzle to complete before another discovery, another decision, etc.

The HO scenes look nice, but are inanimate, and pale and washed out. There are 3 types – an non-interactive list, silhouettes, and fragmented objects. Many of the items are almost impossible to click on, let alone see, they are so tiny. And some of the items have (valid but obscure) names even I have never heard of, let alone a child.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 11, 13 4:19 AM
cont'd

The puzzles are nice. Easy, but interesting and not time consuming. Also, of course, not original. This game is like a trip down memory lane in its adoption of classic gameplay.

One weird thing, in order to use an item from inventory, you must click on it and then confirm that you wish to use it. I suppose that might be relevant later on.

There is no independent movement, so no maps, journals etc, and only a rudimentary hint & skip system that take forever to refill.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I admit I couldn’t stick this one through to the end of the demo. It was stultifyingly boring to me. And, sadly, I think it will bore its intended audience as well. Too much ‘nothing much happening’, too much talking, too much filling in the background at the expense of momentum. There is nothing of excitement in this game for a kid (or grownup kid!). The pace is very slow, the locked-in gameplay is repetitious, and I just can’t see anyone finding it interesting, in light of the alternative games on offer.

I don’t recommend this game!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 11, 13 4:32 AM
Thanks for the review JustTheFacts

You've confirmed my thoughts so nothing to add except "ditto"

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Nov 11, 13 4:51 AM
Well I decided to at least give it a try.I think I lasted about 5 mins.
There is a lot of talking ,seems to much like a kids games.I have to agree with
Just The Facts on this one.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Nov 11, 13 8:30 AM
Thanks for getting this started for us Catbag8717!

To help other players get the most out of these reviews review, please add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game.

Happy gaming!

bfgMurrumbidgee

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 11, 13 9:21 AM

There's no "treasure" here

This game starts out ok for about 30 minutes. Yes it is simple, formulaic, and linear, but it is a children's game after all. The game is drawn in a fairly realistic style.

However, as the story progresses, the puzzles get harder. There are huge hidden object scenes with hundreds of tiny blurry objects that are nearly impossible to see, much less recognize, even on my 24" monitor.

I can imagine this getting very frustrating. It did for me after about 45 minutes. By then the charm had worn off and I was done.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Nov 11, 13 11:01 AM
I played the trial version and lasted about 5 minutes. The hidden objects were a strain on my eyes. The scenes were practically a monotone. I was hoping that it would be an interesting game because it wasn't all dark and occultish like most of this type of game appears to be.

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Nov 11, 13 12:35 PM
This is an outdated, clunky, blurry, amateur game. Maybe a child would find it fun but kids aren't the ones coming here looking to buy games. I am wondering WHY games like this are even put here and don't just go right to a $2.99 special. Don't waste your time with this game, I can't even imagine how one would play it on a smaller screen laptop - most of the items were impossible to see on a 32" monitor and it is just not up to any recent standard. I am not understanding all these dull games lately

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 12, 13 8:04 AM
THROW THIS GAME TO THE RUBBISH DUMP

Go to: