Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by quinlipa on Nov 11, 13 4:54 PM
Did anyone else think the game ended all too abruptly, with the crooked man falling off of the cliff? Usually Blue Tea does a fantastic job of wrapping their games up and giving them a sense of finality, but this one just sort of...ended. Thoughts?

 
snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 11, 13 6:25 PM
I was kind of depressed with the ending, I hated seeing the cat turned into a block of wood and I was hoping the Crooked Man wasn't going to turn into a raving lunatic and could live happily ever after with his reincarnated fiancee. And it would have been nice to see that all the girls he had tried the ring on would revert back into their human form. This would have been really great with a happy ending.

Yeah, I didn't like the way he just threw himself off the cliff but I guess that was the easy way to show that he regretted his crimes against humanity.

But that poor cat!

 
tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 11, 13 6:47 PM
quinlipa wrote:Did anyone else think the game ended all too abruptly, with the crooked man falling off of the cliff? Usually Blue Tea does a fantastic job of wrapping their games up and giving them a sense of finality, but this one just sort of...ended. Thoughts?


snicker.....I am not there yet...but that does not sound satisfying and I hope the bonus game brings something better.....though it sounds like a separate story maybe.

I often find games end awkwardly because they are planning on putting out a sequel and want us waiting with baited breath.
Boo! Not fair.....but, heck, my favorite authors and films do that also.

When it is not for a sequel, and just..."gee...We have to end this somehow!"
I call it the "and everyone got hit by a bus" syndrome.

 

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by quinlipa on Nov 12, 13 9:32 PM
^^^^ tookat, perfectly articulated. that's exactly how it feels. he falls off the cliff and then the game is just done, and you're left just sort of thinking "oh, ok, i guess it's over now?"
snapnhiss, i don't particularly care if the ending is [/i]sad[/i], that's exactly why i love blue tea. they're not afraid to make things really, really depressing. i'm just pissed that the ending was abrupt and completely unsatisfying. just a couple more frames, even one more could have wrapped the game up very nicely and make the game feel complete, rather than leaving the player (me) hanging.
i guess this is so upsetting to me because i've seen so many game developers do this, and i have come to expect better from blue tea. for a company that does so well with story and plot, it came as a shock that the ending was so weak.

 
orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by orphaned on Nov 12, 13 9:55 PM
yuck!!!

now I don't want to finish!!!

all I can hear is Miss Peggy Lee - "Is That All There Is?"

 
tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 13, 13 5:06 AM
I haven't finished the Bonus Game yet, but it is helping me get some kind of closure from the abrupt end.....
and a black cat with bi-colored eyes does show up.....which feels good.
I was very disappointed at how Parn ended as well.....though not as much for the sad ending of the Crooked Man....he harmed not just the woman who turned into puppets, but also their families and any lovers or fiancées.....and even killed at least two fiancées and one father.....so he probably killed more.
Think of how many skeletons were found lying around.

I like happy endings as much as the next person...maybe even more....but I am not surprised he paid.
I wish they had captured Parn and rehabbed him into a happy kitty after the curse was broken though.

 
gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by gamblebug on Nov 16, 13 9:45 AM
Just bought this one ,and I hate abrupt endings,but if this bonus round helps to the ending then that's ok.Just wonder if this could mean a sequal to this .

 
tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 17, 13 7:27 AM
gamblebug wrote:Just bought this one ,and I hate abrupt endings,but if this bonus round helps to the ending then that's ok.Just wonder if this could mean a sequal to this .

Gamblebug, I thought the bonus game helped, but thought that also ended a bit too abruptly for my taste.
I guess these games are just too expensive for the Devs to add another scene or two.

Stil.....I would not have missed playing Cursery or the Bonus - Humpty Dumpty at all.
I enjoyed every minute except for one game with spiders that had too many gross spiders for the spider lovers out there.

 
AGlondon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by AGlondon on Nov 17, 13 8:27 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way, after the crooked man fell, I was expecting some kind of scene with the sister, but then the credits came up and just had a feeling of "oh... ok then."
Also felt sorry for Parn, I mean he wasn't really evil, he was just very dedicated to his master. Defiantly didn't deserve to turn into a block of wood.

 
tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 17, 13 2:10 PM
AGlondon wrote:Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way, after the crooked man fell, I was expecting some kind of scene with the sister, but then the credits came up and just had a feeling of "oh... ok then."
Also felt sorry for Parn, I mean he wasn't really evil, he was just very dedicated to his master. Defiantly didn't deserve to turn into a block of wood.


I agree AGlondon.
Parn should have just returned permanently to cat form.

 

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by Mariannababy on Nov 18, 13 7:02 AM
Here's are my points of view about the ending:

1. The Crooked Man MUST die even he didn't fell off from cliff. We could see his hand is cracking when he lost his cane. It's the same situation of the crooked cat - they can't live without the CURSERY artifacts given by Mother Goose.

2. The Crooked Man chose to save Renee / Cheryl finally (giving up his cane). That's a way to show his love instead of just keeping her in a cage besides himself. He learned it finally, even it's late and cost too much. Many innocent people die. He need to pay (with his cursed life...).

3. The Crooked Man was a cursed man who's living hundreds years ago and he should end up his life early. He could ask for Renee / Cheryl's forgiveness (the accidentally falling of Cheryl due to his chasing behind was a trauma in the Crooked Man's heart all along), said goodbye to his love, then he could rest in peace finally.

It's a depressing and heart-broken story. Indeed.
That impressed me, makes me think of this story many time even I had finished it.

The ending is abrupt? Perhaps. But meaningful.
We might like to see something "happy ever after" ending.
But that appears in fairy tales only and mostly it's not true.
The story Blaise and Cheryl in hundred years ago was like a true fairy tale romance in reality.
But it was satirizing ended up in such way...(and became the story in CURSERY).

I have finished the game twice (and now I am playing the third time, just in order don't miss anything and I love the story so much ).

Edited on 11/18/2013 at 7:11:51 AM PST


 

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by the_golden_bird on Dec 21, 13 4:44 PM
I both liked and hated the ending. I hated it because usually blue tea endings have notes of happiness and forgiveness in them and I didn't get that here. Even macabre mysteries had that scene between Abigail and Andreas and it was one of their darkest games. However, I feel the lack of finality might mean the beginning of a glorious new series. Why would the cat have returned if there wasn't going to be a chance to save him and the other curse victims in the future? Besides there are so many options for new cursery stories. the little old lady who lives in the shoe could have too many children because she kidnaps them in an attempt to replace her lost child, Mary Mary quite contrary could be planting "pretty maids" in her garden of horror, and Peter and his army of pumpkin people could be searching for the unfaithful wife he couldn't keep.

 
tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

Re:Abrupt Ending? (Chance of spoilers)

[Post New]by tookat on Dec 26, 13 4:26 AM
the_golden_bird wrote:I both liked and hated the ending. I hated it because usually blue tea endings have notes of happiness and forgiveness in them and I didn't get that here. Even macabre mysteries had that scene between Abigail and Andreas and it was one of their darkest games. However, I feel the lack of finality might mean the beginning of a glorious new series. Why would the cat have returned if there wasn't going to be a chance to save him and the other curse victims in the future? Besides there are so many options for new cursery stories. the little old lady who lives in the shoe could have too many children because she kidnaps them in an attempt to replace her lost child, Mary Mary quite contrary could be planting "pretty maids" in her garden of horror, and Peter and his army of pumpkin people could be searching for the unfaithful wife he couldn't keep.


Those are great game ideas!
Done well, I would certainly play them.

I to, thought it was hopeful to see the cat return in the bonus game. Made me think of cats having 9lives, so why not Parn reborn and trying to correct things gone wrong.....and that Humpty Dumpty was absolutely creepily wrong.

 
 
 
 
Go to: