bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Royal Defense Ancient Menace

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 13, 13 12:29 AM
Become a part of an exciting story based on the dwarven kingdom's eternal struggle against the Ancient Menace, who only wants to crush the dwarves and claim their territory! To defeat the monstrous hordes, you must construct defensive towers and units and learn to wield powerful spells. All your towers and units have specific stats: Damage, Fire rate, Damage radius, Damage type, as well as various other features, such as enemy slowdown and Damage Over Time. Each level also brings new units and structures to help you fight your enemies. You’ll never be lacking for new and exciting ways of decimating those ancient threats! Build towers, earn money, collect crystals and upgrade your spells – the enemy shall not pass!

Re:Royal Defense Ancient Menace

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 13, 13 3:45 PM
No comments? Does that mean it's too bad for words or is it so terrific that everybody's too busy playing to post their thoughts?

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 13, 13 5:04 PM
Hi cottoncandy2,

Not necessarily, on both counts. It just means that there aren't so many people who like this kind of game (most here are die hard hidden object/adventure players) that it may take a while longer to see comments/reviews than is usual for games in other genres.

Also, since the 'community' threads were taken down 3 months ago a lot of people don't comment/review anymore.

Edited on 11/13/2013 at 5:06:11 PM PST

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Nov 13, 13 5:57 PM
I'm personally not a fan of this particular game. It's clunky and the "hordes" get overwhelming too quickly. Won't be finishing the demo or purchasing it.

jellypuppy
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by jellypuppy on Nov 13, 13 6:58 PM
I am enjoying it. I think the lack of comments is due to the fact that this game is by far easier than the last installment so it will take longer for players to come to the forum for tips on certain levels.

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Nov 13, 13 7:14 PM
Tiger2010 wrote:Hi cottoncandy2,

Not necessarily, on both counts. It just means that there aren't so many people who like this kind of game (most here are die hard hidden object/adventure players) that it may take a while longer to see comments/reviews than is usual for games in other genres.

Also, since the 'community' threads were taken down 3 months ago a lot of people don't comment/review anymore.

Spot on, Tiger2010!

Kay1212
Herring
Herring
384 Posts

[Post New]by Kay1212 on Nov 13, 13 8:46 PM
swedane wrote:
Tiger2010 wrote:Hi cottoncandy2,

Spot on, Tiger2010!

nothing to add....just another

Imp22
Shark
Shark
10,254 Posts

[Post New]by Imp22 on Nov 14, 13 7:18 AM
I would really love to demo this game...
but since bf won't let me d/l demos without forcing the **gag** latest game manager on me... I won't do it.
I get an error code whenever I have tried to d/l a trial and have been informed that unless I'm willing to change the game manager of my choice to the one they want to cram down my throat... I won't be able to try any games here.

I have been demoing and BUYING from other sites.

It's such a shame that bf has brought all of this upon themselves.

I, too, miss the reviews, such a shame.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 14, 13 7:28 AM
Hiya, Imp

If you like Tower Defence (but do not expect Plants v Zombies - great game, but this is entirely different and much more intense, fast and edgy) and if you've ever played Kingdom Rush, then you'll love this.

It's what I've been waiting for since KR (some 2 years now). Unbelievably challenging from the start, even in Easy Mode. If I played on Hard Mode they'd probably have to cart me off to the asylum.

What I'm trying to say is... if the above kind of play appeals to you I'd buy it even without doing the demo. This is difficult and challenging with a capital D & C.

Imp22
Shark
Shark
10,254 Posts

[Post New]by Imp22 on Nov 14, 13 7:54 AM
Hey, Tiger!
Thanks!
Too bad it's NOT like PvZ!
It's one of my all time Faves!

I haven't heard of Kingdom Rush before...

I tried the first Royal Defense and for some reason decided I didn't like it...
is the game play on this the same as the first?

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 14, 13 9:07 AM
I can't say for certain, Imp, because I didn't even know previous versions existed until yesterday. For me, needless to say, I am sold on both previous ones if they do play like this one. Reviewers are saying that the others are difficult, however, so I'm guessing that's a yes as to it playing the same.

I only came across Kingdom Rush for iPad by chance. BFG don't sell it.

I do love P -v- Z too and am eagerly awaiting the sequel, but this game is like doing that last level on the roof with the Boss in intensity, almost from the beginning and getting harder throughout. It's not everyone's cup of tea.

ETA: Just had a look and it seems like the one before this one titled "Invisible Threat" went down like a lead balloon with gamers. Can't say this surprises me - you can't fight an enemy you can't see; especially in a game as challenging as this one.

It seem Ancient Menace is more like the first one. So far, there is nothing invisible here, just a lot of difficulty. I'll give the middle one a pass also.

Edited on 11/14/2013 at 9:29:37 AM PST

[Post New]by superlotionnet on Nov 14, 13 10:43 AM
[b] for the most part, I LOVE THIS GAME... but only 2 rounds/levels? I'd love to be able to unlock more than the 2 levels.. or do more open as the difficulty goes up?

[Post New]by Summalumm on Nov 18, 13 12:03 AM
i think i am going to agree w the other mac users in saying that the royal defense line is terrible on macs. i have played the other ones on pc with no trouble, up until invisible threat and ancient menace. it is IMPOSSIBLE, i mean ridiculously hard, not to mention the random glitches. i am a very determined player, but after level 5, i cannot get further w full hearts. i wish i didnt download this one, because im having the same issues as the previous game. this should b fun, not overly stressful...

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Nov 18, 13 11:00 AM
Found the game unplayable once the guys who could freeze your ordnance showed up. Unlike the player they appear to have no limit on how many spells they can cast. This is like giving someone an infinite freeze spell. Beyond frustrating.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 21, 13 3:52 AM
I have to say that I now agree that this game is totally frustrating. I finally got to level 18 (after replaying from the start at least 4 times to collect more gems just to get through level 11) where the worgs (I think) become invisible.

When your heart is pounding so hard you are in danger of giving yourself a coronary, it's time to leave. As has been said, difficulty is to be expected in these TD games, but they should not be this stressful. Real life does enough of that.

It's a shame, because the Kingdom Rush I mentioned above has the perfect balance.

By coincidence, I had bought Fort Defense some time ago and totally forgotten. My heart sank as I realised it's by the same developer and, yep, I had to give that up too.

A note to the devs - please DON'T make things impossible. No wonder there isn't a big fan base of TD games out there!

Lisrose
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Lisrose on Dec 1, 13 8:39 AM
I am enjoying the game but would it kill these programmers to put a help file in the game or at least a quick reference guide to the symbols on the weapons? I don't think any of the last dozen games I have bought have more than a basic tutorial. So annoying to have to search to figure out what the pink cloudy symbol meant.

[Post New]by kforeman316 on Dec 4, 13 4:53 PM
I love this game but also wish there was a guide to the enemies. You get so keyed up in the playing that when the enemies are introduced you miss the tips. At least I did. Can't figure out how to kill the invisible wolves. Level 17 I think but I love the game.

My husband played it and got angry at the first few levels. I never really go to the forums and the one time I do, there is not a lot of help with this game. I guess everyone just quit playing it. I am going back in to try it a while longer.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Royal Defense Ancient Menace

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Dec 5, 13 9:53 AM
To those who are finding this one impossible, even on the Easy setting, and want something besides Plants vs. Zombies, may I recommend Garden Defense and Garden Rescue, both available from Big Fish?

No, neither of them have anything like the worgs* nor pounding martial music. But if you can get past the much lighter graphics, they are excellent tower defense games.

I haven't tried Garden Rescue: Christmas Edition, but it's clearly playable at other times of year than this month or next.

I also like Master of Defense, which IS darker and edgier.

P.S. In the official Reviews thread (from which this post would inevitably be deleted as responsive, rather than a review) are a few laudatory posts either from shills or from much more skillful players than those in this thread.
---------------------------
* Unintentionally misspelling Tolkien's (and Larry Correia's) wargs, or just thinking it'll keep the estate off their backs, I wonder?

Edited on 12/05/2013 at 10:00:04 AM PST

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jan 5, 14 8:37 AM
I love this game, and am quite addicted. I've not actually finished the game yet, as I have found the last level TOO hard, even on "easy".

A few tips for people who are finding it hard-going. This is what I am trying, anyway!

Always start on "easy" level. This allows you to relatively easy pass through most of the first levels, and build up pink gems.

As you progress and are finding it too hard, replay the first levels again, and gain more gems and upgrade weapons and spells, as well as the "commons".

BEFORE you get to the last level, start on "normal" (at the beginning) to gain more gems. You should find this easy if you have gained lots of gems on the way.

Personally, I am trying the above before trying the final level, as I found the last level ridiculously hard, especially with all your weapons being put to sleep all at the same time, this seems IMPOSSIBLE to defeat and ridiculous! But I am trying to see if the above helps.

Re: Royal Defense Ancient Menace

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Jan 5, 14 8:39 AM
GeorgeTSLC wrote:To those who are finding this one impossible, even on the Easy setting, and want something besides Plants vs. Zombies, may I recommend Garden Defense and Garden Rescue, both available from Big Fish?

No, neither of them have anything like the worgs* nor pounding martial music. But if you can get past the much lighter graphics, they are excellent tower defense games.

I haven't tried Garden Rescue: Christmas Edition, but it's clearly playable at other times of year than this month or next.

I love both of the above games!!

Garden Rescue: Christmas Edition is FAB and better than the first one! The graphics are better and the whole game just flows better. It's also quite amusing to see the bugs in winter hats and clothes!

Go to: