Reviews for Punished Talents: Seven Muses Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 16, 13 3:57 AM
Refreshing

BASED ON ONE HOUR DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting this! The initial intro to the main menu is classy but low key. Nothing prepares you for the sudden actions in the opening video of the game itself. Best news is: this is a genuinely new story! And the telling of this intriguing tale combines with such a refreshing array of new and imaginative puzzles and mini-games, that it doesn’t matter that the HOPs are fairly standard, because you are already hooked.

SO WHAT IS HAPPENING?
Your husband, a writer, is framed for the spectacular murders of several of your friends. At least, you hope it’s a frame! You save your American friend, who is a detective, from a similar fate, and with his help you set out to prove your husband’s innocence. It seems someone is killing off Boston’s artists and intellectuals, using your husband’s books to guide him. First task is to save a sculptor has been attacked and is in immediate danger of suffocation.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are great. Not the best out there, but a more than respectable effort. I enjoyed the demo, talking a walking tour, so to speak, through the environment of the game. It is pleasant and interesting rather than beautiful. The music was very low, the voices were excellent, and you get a full range of options for sound adjustment.

GAMEPLAY
This game is not outrageous or daring; its gameplay is fairly standard, except, as I said earlier, the puzzles are new. I liked the different approach taken in designing them. I can’t explain what that is, except that the entire atmosphere of the game “feels” different. The puzzles are neither too hard nor too easy, and outnumber the HOPs, but not overwhelmingly.

Unbelievably, I got so engrossed in playing that I forgot to check what kind of hint system operates outside the HOPs.

The fun part starts with the options to tailor your level of difficulty. 3 modes, plus a custom mode and a separate interactive (jump) map option. You have a bunch of things to help your investigation. An evidence board. A well put together Journal, where you can replay the videos. A magnifying glass to detect the 40 collectible fingerprints.

to be cont'd

Edited on 11/16/2013 at 10:04:07 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Punished Talents: Seven Muses Collector's Edition

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 16, 13 3:59 AM
cont'd

CE BLING!
Now this looks interesting. The essentials are there, SG, bonus chapter, gallery items. Plus a couple of extras we won’t see until we finish the game. There is Russell’s book (that’s hubby), and a segment called “Microscope” about which I have not a clue. As well as the collectible fingerprints there are 25 teapots, and some other ‘hidden items’ not revealed in the demo (which I was still a long way from completing when time ran out). And, of course, achievements.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
This game looks like a winner to me. Maybe not a world beater, but not an also-ran either.

I recommend this game!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 16, 13 8:36 AM
What do you think of Punished Talents: Seven Muses Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Punished Talents: Seven Muses Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 16, 13 8:41 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 16, 13 9:48 AM
Enjoyed the game and was something a little different. Liked that it had a map and would take you to where you wanted to do something. Hints reloaded fast and puzzles were fun too. Game seemed to fly by so must have been enjoying. Give this a 4 out of 5 stars..

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 16, 13 10:01 AM
Looks like I'm going to be in the minority but I thought this was one of the most boring games I've ever tried. After 30 minutes of every door being locked, everything I clicked on needing something to make it work, routine HOS, one very easy puzzle and endless reading about the victims, I quit playing and deleted it.

The graphics were ok and there are collectibles but that's not enough to interest me in buying this or even the SE. I thought Thursday's CE was much better.

Disappointing game from this developer.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 16, 13 11:30 AM
I played a short bit of the demo. I love the storyline, murders being reenacted from a novel, unless it turns out that some evil witch from another dimension is the villian I like the more true-to-life games. I'm experiencing a bit of a wait between scenes, looking at a black screen. The collectibles don't make any sense to me, it doesn't tell you what you need to do to earn the achievements, and I don't think I will like looking through the magnifying glass for those fingerprints so I'm thinking the SE version will probably be more to my liking. I'm interested in the story of this game and don't want to be distracted by the extras.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Nov 16, 13 11:38 AM
I agree with most of what Angelfish106 said....not the most boring game I have ever played but I found the story extremely slow, too much backtracking to make me want to go any further, at least as far as the CE is concerned....maybe the SE...very unusual that I would not like a game from this Developer being one of my favourites. I didn't find the graphics as good as some of their other games....hopefully the next one will be better...sorry Developer and BFG

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 16, 13 11:45 AM
"Happy is the man whom the Muses love." This little quote by the Greek poet Hesiod applies to these devs. The Muses were definitely smiling down upon these devs when they created this game. I have very few negative comments about the game which is very unusual for me. This will be a purchase for me; however, I really cannot find one other CE to combine with the purchase of this game. Oh well!

To me, this game is a definite step up from their previous offerings. It is a period piece, set in the 1930's,, which to me, is one of my favorite periods in history. It is a pure Art Deco delight in game design following true to the styles of the time. The storyline is a detective story very similar to those written during this time period and you even have your own magnifying glass to hunt down fingerprints. This is a detective story which will probably keep me guessing until the end. You are able to either choose a level of difficulty or customize your own level of difficulty. As our leading critic, the Facts Lady, has stated, the puzzles are definitely unique and that is a good thing for me. It is very difficult to create new puzzles or twists of existing puzzles, but they have done so successfully.

My only criticism would be the HOG scenes. Most of the devs are now giving you the choice to either play them or choose another type of game such as Match 3. I personally hate HOG scenes. To me they are very, very, very boring. Well, you get the idea. I have actually thought about having my cat just press keys on the keyboard to get rid of the hidden objects so I can play all the other parts of the game. I really wish the devs would allow us to just "Skip" these HOG scenes as we do the puzzles if we wish.

Keep up the good work, Blamsters. To me, this game gets the Agatha Christie super sleuth award!

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 16, 13 12:22 PM
I beta tested this game & LOVED it. So glad it finally came out. The characters are very life like, graphics are fresh & colorful & music is appropriate. There was a black screen between scenes that seemed to take awhile but, to me at least, it's not much of a negative. Murder/mystery games are my very favorite & I hope to see more of them. I am so over the continual onslaught of witches, gremlins, netherworlds, dead spirits/relatives etc. ad nauseum!! The devs need to get their thinking cap adjusted & start getting us a better selection of games.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Nov 16, 13 12:46 PM
[Removed by Moderator]

I thought it was a truly delightful game and a nice change from all of the monster/vampire stories.

Edited on 11/16/2013 at 5:55:36 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 16, 13 8:09 PM
Well, the story has been reviewed already elsewhere, except that I saw a movie similar to this not too long ago, so on with the game play review. Haven't seen a BLAM game for quite some time, so was surprised when this came out.

The graphics and game play were very nice. No problems at all, based on casual mode. The sound FX were very good and appropriate for what was happening at the time and the music played right into it...very well done. I usually turn the music down low for games, but you need to listen to this music, as it moves with the excitement of what is happening in the game. Voice overs were well done and were appropriate to the time and place as well.

Jump map was very nice. The locations were clearly marked and identified, which I really appreciate. SG was the usual. Hint system was very helpful and filled farily quickly. HOGs were nothing special, but clear and pretty clean. Items not difficult to find. Puzzles were also not difficult, but some did take a little thought to complete.

This was not an especially challenging game, but I was drawn into the story and the game play quite quickly. I really like the mystery type games and this is a wonderful "whodunit." I really liked this game and I am going to purchase the CE. Been holding onto a couple of other games, so I will take advantage of the special today and buy them all. I think this game will appeal to all level of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Nov 17, 13 10:10 AM
Pickles77 wrote:I agree with most of what Angelfish106 said....not the most boring game I have ever played but I found the story extremely slow, too much backtracking to make me want to go any further, at least as far as the CE is concerned....maybe the SE...very unusual that I would not like a game from this Developer being one of my favourites. I didn't find the graphics as good as some of their other games....hopefully the next one will be better...sorry Developer and BFG

Agreed. I have been dying for a good HOG for awhile now, but this one isn't it. Too slow and boring

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Nov 18, 13 12:20 PM
Just finished the game and absolutely loved it. It was so refreshingly different, a type of " whodunit ". I am tired of all the vampire and evil spirits games. That get's boring and all seems the same after a while.
Game length was great too. I always appreciate that.
Please make more like this. Blam is becoming one of my favorites.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 25, 13 4:50 AM
Now that I have finished the game, I just feel the need to say that Blam has made a game that is really "classy".

You feel as if you are there in the time period and interacting with the characters.
The amount of extra detail and the little animations that occur in every scene, in every HOG didn't have to be put in, but the entire game experience is enriched for their having done so. This was one of the games in which I cheerfully pulled out my magnifying glass, just so I could see all the rich details and to hunt for jokes hidden inside....though this woman who has some vision limitations also needed it to

I had a smile on my face the entire time, except for when my forehead creased as I tried to battle my way through a difficult puzzle. I thought Blam spent time to make sure that some of the puzzles were either fresher versions of old ones, or new ones, and there was a good variety in them. I also thought the balance between HOGS and Puzzles was excellent.

This is gaming at its best.

I know some people thought looking for the fingerprints et al with the magnifying glass got old really quickly, but I enjoyed it as an extra layer of game play....though I wish the Hot Area appeared a little more easily because it often took fiddling back and forth with the magnifier to locate an area.

The tea kettles were sometimes too easy to find, but by not having them in every scene, and sometimes making them hard to find that issue became less of a big deal to me....and I had to laugh at the cleverness of how the tea pot was added to some scenes.

For those folks who are tired of either cute or fairy tale games, or who are tired of mad wizards, vampires or monsters, this straightforward detective "Who done it" in the hard boiled style of the 30's - 50's was very refreshing.

The art work and music were great and the extras that were added for the CE made it well worth the extra cost, but it was especially the quality of the Bonus Game that really made it worthwhile.
I like the fact that the Main Game was fully completed at its end and that the Bonus was also completed by its end....but that it was done in a way that added something to the entire story.

Good Job Blam Games.....please get that sequel out asap. I am looking forward to it!

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Nov 27, 13 2:09 PM
Bought the game. And while I had problems with some of the features, I say that it was sort of a good game.

The graphics, voiceovers and the music were good. The only problem I had was with the storyline itself. I'm all for making a good mystery, but when the person that is the real culprit shows a bit too obvious in the first few chapters...not good. Any good mystery tries to keep the person responsible hidden as long as possible, with some clues along the way. Someone in an earlier review mentioned that it was sort of an Agatha Christie mystery. Well, not quite. Usually, in Christie's novels, it's the least likely suspect the one responsible for the murder. So, Christie's style, this is not.

For the CE, I would say buy it on a sale. While it was good, it wasn't that great.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jan 5, 14 6:44 AM
I bought the CE on sale and I must say it was a very good game. I love old fashioned "Who Done It" story lines, especially ones set in this time period. Graphics were clear, voices were good. I had a little trouble with clicking on items and clicking on things in mini games. It took a couple of clicks to get them. All and all, an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 31, 14 3:15 PM
Wow, I see judging by the dates, I'm way behind playing this game! My thoughts aren't as favorable as most - I really was frustrated with the mini-games I have played so far ie: the balloon puzzle made no sense to me, as I posted in another section. And I see I wasn't alone in that. That was just one of the puzzles/mini-games that made me want to tear my hair out and smash every piece of breakable items in my house!!! I had to quit after about an hour and a half due to part frustration and part boredom with looking for locks, keys, plaques, etc, etc, etc. I know most games have some of these, but this game has way too many for me. Will finish at a later date.

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 9, 14 7:13 PM
Well, did go back and finish the game, as I have had a few sick days off of work. This game was O.K., not as frustrating as the game I finished earlier (guess I can't mention the name!!). But I wasn't crazy about this one, either. mini-games that were frustrating and not fun, and a story that wasn't all that interesting, although I thought the murder of the pianist in the beginning was rather cool!! All in all, not thrilled with this one.

feenix

Go to: