bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Reviews for Excursions of Evil!

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 16, 13 6:33 PM
What do you think of Excursions of Evil? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Excursions of Evil page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews for Excursions of Evil!

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 16, 13 6:33 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jan 15, 14 3:45 AM
Sorry, but this just has to be one of the worst games ever made.
Music is very very loud and can only be turned off, not down.
You have a hard time trying to figure out what to do because there are little to no instructions. Hidden object scenes are a hodge-podge of hard to distinguish items and when you finally get done the object you have won zooms down to the inventory and you better remember what it is because it won't tell you again..
The cell phone is quite annoying, too much reading to be done with no real input.
I know others will disagree so give it a chance. As for me, it has already been banished from my computer.

LOLOVESHOG
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by LOLOVESHOG on Jan 15, 14 7:09 AM
I love H O G's but this was just not for me. This seemed to be thrown together, an after thought maybe? Sorry but this is a no buy for me. I'm sure somebody will love it. Thanks BF

moondances
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by moondances on Jan 15, 14 7:11 AM
I have to agree-After opening with a white screen & having to reinstall, I was lost-Couldn't find the door code & the hint was no help-I circled from cottage to house & back several times & finally gave up (and I really really hate to give up)-I play for relaxation & this game set my last nerve on edge-I cannot recommend it-Sorry, Devs

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 15, 14 7:36 AM
I had no problem playing the game, but it's clearly a Joe and Bob decide to do a game kind of game. It starts in NYC, but it's nothing like NYC and the airport looks like L.A. with mountains in the distance. Even in a cartoonish game, folks, try for some level of accuracy... I got this game popping up on Audrey's phone from her brother, who actually writes "yo," like a street-wise adolescent, which is pretty bizarre, but what they hey; however, I really loathed the arcade game which we were then forced to play, so I let it play out -- it just seemed a waste of time. Then, during the first HOP I discovered that the hint meter needed a battery, and I exited the HOP which I'd almost finished, stoked up the hint meter with the battery which otherwise had been sitting in my inventory, because I had no idea where it went, then I returned to the HOP and voila, had to start the HOP from the beginning. No, no, no. This game. has. been. deleted. There will probably be folks who will like it, but it's an absolute no for me. Oh, and the writers have no idea about apostrophes. None exist in Audrey's world.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 15, 14 7:47 AM
Weirdly, I’m Hooked

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Definitely for a niche market, this game is ultimately an almost pure HOG (Hidden Object Game), and a very primitive one at that, yet I defy anyone to say they’ve ever come across anything like it before. It had much that annoyed me, and not enough of the things I like, but I was totally caught up in this unique game.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Basic. Basic. Basic. The low-def graphics are a bit cartoony, oversimplified and cheap-looking. But you can see everything clearly, despite a tricky little number in the HOPs. There, the background is blurred a little, to give a false sense of depth, but it doesn’t affect the visibility of the objects. They are very clear and colourful, but sometimes craftily hidden.

The music is almost not there. You hardly notice it at all. The same is true of the background noises. But there are voiceovers, and they are excellent.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
You, an eXtreme traveller, are invited to tour a spooky English mansion by a travel agency called “Excursions Of Evil”, whose idea is to visit places where acts of eXtreme evil have taken place. In this one, the butler (who else could it be?) killed everyone and then himself. Or did he? That seems doubtful from the minute you get there.

Love love love this storyline! Something truly new and fascinating!

GAMEPLAY
Here we also have something truly unique. This is a HOG, there are lots of HOPs and only a few puzzles, and most of the adventure component is just getting to the next HOP. But getting there! No map. No hotspots or black bar hints. Instructions on the (difficult) puzzles, only if you click hint. And then it’s the bare minimum. Puzzle boards.

The hint gives hints. Which unfortunately isn’t much help when you can’t find your way back to the bathroom! Or when you have one item that is part of a pair needed to activate a new location. The hint will tell you to use it, but it won't leave your inventory no matter what you do. Here's hoping there's a walkthrough!

Every step of the way has been a battle for little intermediate me, even on easy mode. If they can forgive all the HOPs, the “no pain, no gain” crowd should have a ball with this one.

To be continued...

Edited on 01/15/2014 at 7:50:26 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 15, 14 7:49 AM
Weirdly, I’m Hooked

GAMEPLAY (Continued)

BUT...You do have a cell phone. On it you keep the emails, voicemails and games you receive. The games crop up as part of the story, and are of the arcade sort where speed counts – drop matching(?) kind, and a “paddle” one, and a “zuma” kind of game. These are then playable at any time for ‘fun’. Again, no instructions.

As well, there are jokers to be found and collected, which you can use to keep going after failing in one of these games. At some point, it seems, high scores on these games will become important, but I haven’t figured all that out yet.

There are some really annoying things about this game (aside from its general unhelpfulness). Using an inventory item, you don’t just click on it and then on where to use it, you must drag it there. HATE that.

And the odd ways of going into and out of a location had me wandering in and out all over the place, unable to orient myself without a map to help me. And there is usually only one thing to be done in each room, boorriing.

The opening of the game forces a tutorial on you, but it is the digest version and is relatively quick and painless.

COMBINED IMPACT
Irresistible! I must be getting sick or something, I actually spent precious demo time improving my score on one of the games! And I get a very “Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome” vibe from the bad guy.

Not a crowd pleaser, this game is nevertheless unique and clever and involving. Among the adventurous, it might well be a hit!

However, this is one game you really do need to try before you buy!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jan 15, 14 8:51 AM
This is a poor game, the people who put it together must be kids playing a be adults won't buy or use a credit. IT WHOULD BE TRASHED> BF most be in hard straits to but this one out.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 15, 14 2:09 PM
This is another SE from a new dev. Honestly I don't think this is as bad of a game as others on the site. This game reminds me a little of the Nancy Drew game series, but not as well constructed as those games. It seems more directed to a younger audience (possibly preteen). You are blogger who has made a name for yourself by writing about your travels. You live in NYC and have been asked to travel to England to investigate a site where a mass murderer (the butler, of course) has committed many crimes.

I honestly think this could have been a great game....but ( and forget everything I wrote before the word "but") there are few things about this game I really dislike. This could have evolved into a murder mystery game (similar to Clue or the Nancy Drew series) which would have been way more entertaining than the storyline presented here. Second, there are way, way, way (I like to overstress LOL) too many HOPA scenes. These scenes are nothing more than junk piles. However, you do receive an object to help you in your adventure. You travel from one HOPA scene to another. This element makes the game very boring to me. Games are provided on your phone (like the Nancy Drew series) These games are very easy and not very entertaining to me personally. However, I must admit I don't like them in the Nancy Drew series either.

The graphics are cartoonish, but to me, that really does not detract from the game. The "muzac" is appropriate and sets an eerie feeling to the game. There is voice which is usually not common to a new SE game. Another commentator has written that it seems like a first attempt in designing a game, maybe a class project at a university? Gaming 101? I would have no idea since that is not my field - I create real potions and keep lines flowing to create consumer products for market which people actually need and use. No fantasy in my line of work - disasters cannot magically be "poofed"or "edited" away. I give this game 3 stars out of 5 stars for an SE. A nice first attempt to me in designing a game.

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jan 15, 14 2:36 PM
I like the idea, but then again I liked the idea of a cheese stuffed burger too and all it did was make me feel bloated and tired. Cool story but I ran into a snag 5 minutes in. I entered the code for the front door, got the green light and nothing happened. I backed out and tried it again but nope, still nothing. And if my brother sent me a game with falling cupcakes I'd punch him in the whatsits.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 15, 14 5:05 PM

Excruciating Excursion

The main game page says this has an "Engaging storyline" and "Mind bending mini-games." All I can say is, uhh.... no.

There is not much of a story except that you are "investigating" an alleged murder-suicide at an old mansion. Well, they actually say someone named Greenwich (rhymes with sandwich) "murdered everyone including himself" - whatever that means. Along the way, you are sent arcade type games on your (pink) phone that you have to achieve a certain score to continue. You also receive "jokers" which allow you to prolong the game so you can reach the score without starting over.

Otherwise, it is one hidden object scene after another, which actually are somewhat difficult. After completing, you are given either an object (unrelated to the objects just found) or a joker. There are also a few mini games which hardly qualify as "mind bending" unless you have, umm.... a very, very young mind.

The artwork was the only thing I found to be a positive. It is high quality and highly detailed. Unfortunately most of it you just look at, as there is little interaction.

Navigation is clunky because navigation arrows can be anywhere (left, right, up, or down). You have to visit all the scenes to continue so use your mouse to make sure you didn't miss an area.

This game might be more appreciated by pre- to early teenaged children, especially female. Personally, I felt like I had lost some intelligence after playing the demo.

I'll skip this excursion.

Simba2009
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by Simba2009 on Jan 16, 14 10:16 AM
can't get into the house, as far as i could get. no walk through either

paco12348
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by paco12348 on Jan 16, 14 12:23 PM
I keep swearing I'll stop buying and trying to play some of these stupid games but here I am again. Right in the first HO scene I need the tape and can't find it. The hint needs the battery in my inventory but the inventory won't open. Crappy, d*** game will go into the dust bin with lots of other crappy games. I have a list started for game makes I won't purchase from again. This one goes on the list.

[Post New]by Mordsith9617 on Jan 16, 14 5:30 PM
OK so I thought I'd give this game a fair go. Downloaded, installed, no problem. Mind you it was 3am and my mind was foggy so who knows what may or may not have happened!

I began the game, thought ok, kinda low budget on the graphics but that's fine, I've played with worse. Found the battery, loaded it into the hint cat (that's new), found the SECOND half of the ticket and spent 30 minutes looking for the first half. Evidently my mind was foggier than I thought since I didn't find the kitchen. Gave up and went to bed.

Restarted the game this morning to give it a fair go and really, I couldn't do it. It was clumsy and awkward and truthfully not up to the usual BFG standards. The music is awful, loud and can only be turned on or off, not down. The cellphone as a diary/journal was a change but with so much coming through initially, it really interrupted the game flow. The instructions (when there are any) tend to be hit or miss, and the game itself seems counter intuitive. Perhaps that's what the devs were going for. I don't expect a crumb trail through a game but I do expect that when I mouse over an area, if there is an action to take, the cursor will indicate that to some extent.

As a first attempt, I think the game has potential, but it needs to be withdrawn and refined, being put through a beta test would probably be a good idea. I would not recommend this game in its current state.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 17, 14 1:04 PM
I did like the graphics and the music but this game just isn't for me. Too much guessing involved....as in hint says "champagne should go in the cooler" but refrigerator won't open and there is no cooler to be found...and no further hint and no walkthrough to be found.....

This game could have potential but just needed more work. A no go for me....

Edited on 01/17/2014 at 1:04:57 PM PST

hombrey02
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by hombrey02 on Jan 17, 14 1:30 PM

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 2:17:30 PM PST

gailgo
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
43,711 Posts

[Post New]by gailgo on Jan 18, 14 8:04 AM
Oh wow, they are the same especially the review on the game page....disgraceful behaviour...I'd be pissed too Sportygal

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 8:05:57 AM PST

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Jan 18, 14 10:29 AM
This is a BIG NO-BUY for me.

The HINT feature should actually give you hints on how to progress in a game. There was a point at the beginning where (highlight for possible spoilers):

I had half a ticket with numbers on it that said 1-4. I found the keypad on the house on the hill and tried to enter 1,2,3,4 but that didn’t work. So I figured that I might need a second half to the ticket and clicked the hint cat. Hint Cat pointed to the ticket half in my inventory and told me it was a combination to an electronic lock.

I had figured that out, so I let Hint Cat sleep off his feeble attempt at helping me, changed location back to the cottage, and tried again. Hint Cat told me the exact same thing. I used profanity on Hint Cat, but that did no good either, made me feel better, but hurt my eldest cat’s feelings until I reminded him his name is Scudder, not Hint Cat.

It checked the forums here, but couldn’t find what I needed so I took a trip to that video site and found a bit of a walkthru that showed me the navigation arrow to the kitchen of the cottage. I was not pleased. I had moved my mouse over the living room scene several times, but not once was that arrow displayed. Even knowing it was there took several sweeps across the scene to get it to show up.

I like knowing that I have hints available, quality hints, hints that actually help me move forward in a game. Hint Cat is worthless so that was a big strike against this game.

Using Inventory should not involve dragging the inventory item to where it is to be used. I can put up with that on those short online “escape” games but in a full-length game it is not acceptable. It’s annoying and for someone with symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome it can be downright painful.

I don’t do arcade games. I loathe arcade games. I was willing to overlook these while overlooking was possible, but when I read that at some point you MUST play them and BEAT A HIGH SCORE!!! I put this on my games list as a big “NO, not even with a PCC”.

I want to thank the posters here that let us know that the cell phone arcade games are a requirement to proceed as you get further along in the game. Very helpful information!

I hope those of you that purchased the game enjoy it from start to finish. But I’ll look elsewhere for my gaming fun.

Tauret

[Post New]by sunshine4154 on Jan 27, 14 9:21 PM
This was a bad game to play almost along with the quality of ****...I trust BFG most of the time..this was not up to their quality....

Go to: