Annabel

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

Annabel

[Post New]by scotcat on Mar 12, 09 1:37 AM
I just played the demo for Annabel. This is like a Large File type game, but easier I guess. I am sure almost everyone will like it. Not so much for me.

Great graphics.
No timer of course.
A hint guage that fills up fairly fast.
I only incountered 2 "mini games" during my 1 hour. They where pretty easy. Maybe they will get harder later on.
Actual game play wasn't that hard. I only used a few hints just so I could move the game along faster.
The worst voice over acting I have heard. It's like the characters were reading right from the script & Annabel is the worst!
I started to get a headache & feel about 30 minutes into the game. The rooms spin so fast when you want to move around.
I am also exhausted! Seriously.... all that room to room, up & down stairs, etc. hunting for objects to use and there are a LOT of objects to use to complete one task.

Looks like it might have fairly decent length to it. Especially if you are not used to these types of games.
The 1 hour felt like 2 hours to me. I wanted to just quit after 30 minutes, but stuck it out.
There will be better replay value on this one then say Woman's Murder Club since there is so much to do.

Well, all in all, a nice game, but just not for me. I am still exhausted and feel like
Oh well, another credit saved up to hopefully use on the next game coming up.

PS.... check out the tats and muscles on that one guard! Can we say excessive?

Edited on 03/12/2009 at 1:42:16 AM PST

mummypops
Koi
Koi
80,817 Posts

Re:Annabel

[Post New]by mummypops on Mar 12, 09 1:41 AM
Thank you for the info scotcat, I personally don't like the screen moving round, makes me feel too, but will try the demo when it arrives, enjoy the rest of your day/evening

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 12, 09 1:49 AM
Thanks Scotcat it sounds like a game to avoid for me as I play to relax.

Molly

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Mar 12, 09 1:55 AM
You're welcome. I have to go lay down now because I seriously feel like I'm going to toss my cookies after playing that game and it's spinning rooms.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 12, 09 2:10 AM
Is it more HO than TM? If no timer (hate them) does this add value? If it hard work then not that appealing - and if spinning - no way! Thanks for your input Scotcat.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Mar 12, 09 2:18 AM
I would say it's a mixture of HOG and adventure. The items you find you have to put to use, a bit like RTR, but less challenging, especially as it tells you exactly what you need to look for. It was an ok game for me, but I cringed at the many strong historical inaccuracies and there was a lot of having to go back through many rooms to look for items. Actually that's what made me stop playing the game before the demo was up, so much going back and forth through the ever same rooms for one little item.

midnight1864
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by midnight1864 on Mar 12, 09 5:45 AM
Hello everyone!
I just finished the demo of Annabel.I think most will like it. It is a good game & I was dissapointed when the 60min whats up.
PROS: Great graphics
Great story line, NO timer, Appears to be quite a long game I saw 15 different mini games in menu. Lots of things to find & use to progress to next place.
Has built in help, that refills quickly & is unlimited Game is not to easy, but also not so hard that you dont know where to go next, or what to do.

Cons: the worst thing i thought was the loading times between scenes takes to long.
You do have tn 360 look around, but it's not up & down. just side to side. I didn't find it to be to bad. I got rather used to it, & that usally does bother me.
The voice overs are not the greatest, but certainally dont take away from the game & appeared to get better as the 60 min went on.I will buy this when gets it tomorrow. Have Fun all.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 12, 09 6:24 AM
Thank you for your reviews. Think it maybe too busy for me and cannot stand going back to places time after time looking for one thing! Disappointing as found JP A Darker Shade of Gray soooo boring!!!!

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Mar 12, 09 6:35 AM
I just Googled Annabel & looked at several sites with preview shots and descriptions. Looks nicely done and holds the promise of some good puzzles/mini-games. My main thought though is one of "Please, not yet another game based in Egypt!!

WhippetLv
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,552 Posts

[Post New]by WhippetLv on Mar 12, 09 8:09 AM
Just want and found it I think this one looks good and if it plays like it looks I will be getting it

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on Mar 12, 09 8:30 AM
Anyone find all the keys....The only place it wants me to look is in the tall cabinet but there's no key there. I have all the others.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 12, 09 8:32 AM
Lee - do you really feel ? This does not bode well! Is it fun?

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on Mar 12, 09 8:35 AM
Oh it is great ...just turning green from trying to find the last darn key so I can continue....love the game...will definitely buy it.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Mar 12, 09 8:36 AM
Goody goody! Will wait for tomorrow then and know who knows what to do next!!! Especially something about keys ........

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on Mar 12, 09 8:39 AM
Cats if you find that darn key in the tall cabinet PM me where....Plllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeee

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 12, 09 10:12 AM
I tried the trial from the site linked from Gamezebo and got a virus warning. Tried it from another site and it was fine so far as that goes.

It's just plain too much "adventure" and not nearly enough "puzzle" for my tastes, particularly since it takes so DARN much time to load scenes and there's so many cut scenes. Not my cup of tea but I can see those who like the large file adventure games really going for this one.

seajay123
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by seajay123 on Mar 12, 09 10:27 AM
I just finished the demo and really liked it. Like others were saying the graphics are good, I actually like the story and I don't even usually follow stories. The voice actting was bad. One of the women sounded like a man trying to talk like a woman,and load times are long. I will definately get this game if BF gets it. I can turn my sound off and read the subtitles.

I found the key in one of the cabinets on the bottom shelf.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Mar 12, 09 11:11 AM
I got really involved in the story, and I loved it! I can't wait for it to be here! It IS like a LFA, but a bit easier. And I love the 360 view games.

If you hate wandering from scene to scene, looking for things, I guess adventure games are not your cup of tea. LOL, I spent MONTHS wandering from island to island on Riven looking for things. I like the process, I guess, even though it can be a little frustrating at times. When I finally find something, or learn something, it is such a nice feeling. Aha! another piece of the puzzle!

When HOGs first came out, I was quite smitten with them, but finding things that have no bearing on the story or plot has gotten really old. I like to search for things that help me find the next level or quest. To each their own! It's what makes gaming interesting, I think...

barbM
Marlin
Marlin
9,026 Posts

[Post New]by barbM on Mar 12, 09 11:17 AM
How hard is this one? I tried to play Dracula and got nowhere with out having my nose in the walkthrough, I finally uninstalled it, to much stress. I love the adventure games but not as good as some at solving them.

I did play Syberia and Isis and only had to check the walkthrough occasionaly so I'm not completly hopeless

Edited on 03/12/2009 at 11:20:27 AM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Mar 12, 09 11:21 AM
I think Annabel would be a GREAT game for anyone just starting with Adventure games. It is not too hard, and is a good intro to the genre. There is plenty of help within the game, and it is fairly intuitive. Dracula is much more geared towards experienced adventurers, and you might want to give it another try after playing some easier games that will teach you the processes without all the frustration! Emerald City is maybe just a tad harder, and would also be a good one to learn on.

Go to: