Reviews for Grimville: The Gift of Darkness

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 18, 13 3:23 AM
[Removed by Moderator]

Keep swimming!

JTF

Edited on 11/18/2013 at 2:34:41 PM PST

Re:Reviews by Request Only

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 18, 13 4:17 AM
Okie dokie!! I'm back! Am so touched by your support. I just needed to know if I was doing something good, or kidding myself. Hope this review is worth it!

Kinda Nutty

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This not a game I would normally find interesting. The graphics are very cartoony, the story is slow and a bit hokey, and there is way too much dialogue. However, it is unique and warrants special attention because of it.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics remind me of the better concept art we get in CE. Roughed out images, thickly applied colours and textures, very dark and noticeable outline. But as that type of art goes, it is pretty good. And the HOPs are more detailed and realistic, with objects clearly defined. The soundtrack is not good. No voiceovers, so there’s lots of dialogue to read, the music is very repetitive, and ambient sounds are mostly unnoticeable.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
This story is told in the opening scenes, which are too long and too many for most of us impatient to get to the action. We are a member of a society dedicated to curbing misbehaving magical beings. It is our job to track down and identify these individuals wherever suspicions may suggest their existence.

MAKING PROGRESS
Our investigation begins in the town of Grimville, where a suspicious murder has taken place. In order to move ahead, we must talk to many characters, they give us a quest before they will give us what we need. At the beginning, the quests seemed so inane I thought I wouldn’t be able to hang in for the hour, but it improves.. It is definitely a game of the more adventure style. In the hour I came across 2 HOP scenes, each visited 3 times, and 2 (easy) puzzles. The HOPs are interactive word lists, very basic. There are also very few items just ‘lying around’ for us to retrieve.

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 18, 13 4:19 AM
cont'd

There is a map, but it is vague and cannot be used for help on the next move or as a jump map. There is a goodish journal. Its notes section is pretty well useless, but the task lists are detailed and very helpful. The hint is interesting. It gives us a suggestion of who we should speak to, and directional arrows to take us to where they are. One thing that was very difficult to adjust to was the directions we moved in. Going ahead is never as easy as just point up, or back. Most of the moves from one location to another are sideways and at different angles.

The unique factor that may make all the difference in this game is that, throughout the game we must make choices that affect the ending of the story and what other characters do. Combine this feature with comic book graphics, lots of dialogue with lots of characters, and the quest-driven nature of the gameplay, I think it is best to view this as a mini-adventure game.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS
I found the whole game a little childish and I suspect there is an attempt at sending up these characters, but I didn’t find the game actually funny. Not a game for HOP fans, but perhaps for those who enjoy adventures, with a little tongue in cheek?

It’s not too bad a game, particularly for a standalone SE, but in the end, it is not a game I’d recommend.

I don’t recommend this game!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 18, 13 6:10 AM
Thank you for reviewing JTF.

I haven't gotten very far in the demo, and reading your review made me decide to keep plugging along through what seems something far slower than I usually like.

[Off topic content removed by Moderator]

ok....so, people have been citing this game as having "childish" graphics....I don't think so....I think the graphics are absolutely funny caricatures that give the game a unique look. I do not even mind that we click on a person and don't get voice over dialogue....but I can see people taking offense at hearing the funny noises instead....
and I do not particularly like to hear these repeated each time I go back to a character. It gets old quickly.

So, now to go back into the demo, and see if I can play fast enough to get to a place where the story takes over.....because some people liked the game, and that is enough for me to sit down and give it a better chance.

Edited on 11/18/2013 at 10:53:48 AM PST

ysbrand
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ysbrand on Nov 18, 13 7:12 AM
Well, I lasted all of 5 mins. It reminded me of the old Charlie Brown cartoons when you talked to the people. Instead of speech it was "wah wah" like Charlies mother.
It might be a good for young people but it seems there is some offish language although all I came across in my 5 mins was a "damn it" which isn't too off putting to me. From other posts I see the BS word is used which I would not want my grandchildren reading. So a definite pass for me.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Nov 18, 13 7:13 AM
[Off topic content removed by Moderator]. I agree I would not recommend this game. I only played it for about 10 min.

Edited on 11/18/2013 at 10:58:27 AM PST

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Nov 18, 13 8:41 AM
Thanks for getting this started JustTheFacts .

I've added the customary coat of sticky to make sure this is easy to find and look forward to seeing everyone's feedback on the game.

As always, please keep this thread for reviews and if there are any technical concerns please be sure to post in the Tech issues thread.

bfgMurrumbidgee

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grimville: The Gift of Darkness

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Nov 18, 13 9:36 AM
[Off topic content removed by Moderator]

I am downloading this game now and will be back with my own small review. I like the looks of it so far but we will see. Happy Monday All!

Edited on 11/18/2013 at 11:04:56 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 18, 13 2:37 PM
Well, I tried the game. And, sorry, Puppet people, I did not like it at all. I really dislike games without voice, which is expected nowadays. The game seemed very old-fashioned. You only had two options to choose the level of play. What really annoyed me was the "mumbling" by the cartoon characters. It was rather like Liza Doolittle from "My Fair Lady" learning to speak proper English by putting marbles in her mouth. Geesh! This game seems to be a first attempt by a new dev and perhaps they did not have the necessary funds to make this a top-notch game. The artwork is excellent and is cartoonish but nicely done in my opinion. After five minutes I could not stand the "mumbling" anymore. Sorry, I did not hear the Barbara Streisand (BS) word, probably because I did not play long enough. Good luck new devs. You really are off to a good start, but please try to offer some voice and if you cannot, then, please don't substitute sound effects for voice.

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Nov 19, 13 1:36 PM
I was worried about this one because of the cartoon-ish characters and drawing style. I had several credits so gave it a shot. The beginning was somewhat lame, but after I got into it, it improved a lot.

There is a map but you can't get from one place to another using it. I found I didn't mind because the hints were very helpful and it was fun for a change to know where I was and how to get where I had to go instead of being hopelessly lost without a map.

The story got more interesting as it progressed. After about an hour, I was thoroughly enjoying the story and the interaction with the characters as well as exploring the surrounding areas. In fact, I enjoyed it more than some of the CE's I've played lately because it was a bit tongue in cheek.

The game play is as long as a CE, which surprised me.

It was a refreshing change of pace and well worth a credit.

I recommend it!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Nov 19, 13 2:34 PM
I lasted less than 10 minutes! A real snooze fest! With the added inappropriate language this game is dead to me.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 19, 13 6:30 PM

Strangeville

I wanted to dislike this game after reading some of the reviews, but I found it somewhat appealing after playing.

It definitely has some CONS:
1. Navigation is clunky. The arrow "hotspots" can be just about anywhere, and the visual clues to their location could be improved.
2. As someone noted, there is ONE THING to do at a time. Oh, you may have several unfinished Tasks in your Task List, but you will only be able to do ONE before advancing to the next.
3. There is a lot of back tracking and the map is not a jump map.

Nevertheless the story is interesting. Along the way you often get to choose between a "good" action and a "bad" action depending on how you interpret your own character.

Some mentioned no voiceovers as a con. I found the "burps" and grunts to be appealing. There is a lot of dialog and the absence of voice overs seemed to make the game less "talky." It does remind you of older games though (think Cate West).

Possibly worth a purchase if on sale or a pcc.

Give it a try.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 24, 13 11:43 PM
I lasted in the demo about 15 mins. Always try to complete the demo to give the games a fair chance.

This is not for me at all. No voices and this game seemed like a really old game.

Be sure and give it a try for yourself..

Happy game day

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Apr 12, 14 8:11 PM
Well, I came to this game late in a special BFG promotion this weekend. They say that there is something for everyone and I love this game! It took me a little while to figure out what I was supposed to be doing, but in my search for a unique game I have been successful!! Thanks Puppet Life.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Oct 18, 14 9:59 PM
I found I rather liked this game, the characters might be cartoonish but I liked them. I liked that you got to decide what to do at some parts. The only thing is I didn't care for the end.

Robcol
Minnow
Minnow
207 Posts

[Post New]by Robcol on Nov 17, 14 7:23 PM
Love this little game!

Go to: