Reviews for The Far Kingdoms

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 19, 13 3:44 AM
What A Neat Little Game!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a nicely put together hybrid game, part HOPs and part Match 3. The unique factor here is that it is the first game of this type that I think actually works! The two genres mesh tightly in an action-based adventure that is really cleverly done and smoothly paced.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The looks are very ‘fairy tale’ of the big bold and beautiful sort. Heavy brush strokes, strong colour saturation, and HOPs that are filled with big easy to see objects. The effect is perhaps a little too cartoony for some, but I think it just squeaks in on the positive side.

The sound track is both the best and the worst of the game! There are no voiceovers, which is probably a good thing, because there is a lot of chit chat. The music is, seriously, uplifting. Some of the best music I’ve ever heard. The problem is it’s so loud! And changing the volume in options doesn’t work. Open up options again, and you’ll see it is back to full volume. (Might be worth fixing that, Dev)

WHAT’S HAPPENING
The story is both familiar and a bit tired, but this is not a game you’ll buy for the story. It’s just the wrapping paper on the gift. You return from who knows where to discover your kingdom has been overtaken by none other than our old friend Morgana (if you haven’t met her yet, you’ve been playing the wrong games *cheeky wink*). The royal scribing pigeon escapes and will be keeping a journal of your odyssey as you travel ‘the far kingdoms’ in a bid to defeat her. The King of Frogs decides he might come along for the ride, and even give you a few pointers along the way. Congratulations, you have met your (directional) hint button.

to be cont'd

Edited on 11/19/2013 at 8:51:44 AM PST

Re:Reviews for The Far Kingdoms

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 19, 13 3:46 AM
What A Neat Little Game!

BASED ON DEMO

(cont'd)

MAKING PROGRESS
This game is one of those where you get very little choice about what order things are done, where to go next, etc. Mostly it is carrying out the quest set you by each new character you meet. The focus is on both the Match 3 mini-games and the HOPs fairly evenly distributed. There is only a handful of puzzles. There are some mini-games of the arcade-type (burn all the marauding spiders before they reach you).

I like the Match 3 because each scene you play generates a Match 3 with tiles are appropriate to the spot you are in. E.g. In a mushroom grove, there are different kinds of mushrooms for you to match. That is fun. The HOPs are straight lists, I didn’t notice any interaction. The few puzzles are easy and very familiar, but it doesn’t detract from the game as much as you’d think. No map, as you’ll be travelling through portals and casting spells in order to get around. You do have a magic potions bottle, which will combine your ingredients for making spells from recipes you will find in your quests.

MY FINAL WORD (what d'ya think grannyann_?)
Nice game. Probably a little bit too child-like for me, but wouldn’t be at all surprised to find many adults loving it. It’s a fairy tale, yes, but it is different and entertaining too. The game gets an extra star for doing such a good job combining match 3 and HOP gameplay, and is certainly worth a demo.

I recommend this game!

megagray
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by megagray on Nov 19, 13 4:21 AM
I don't like this game. I don't usually write reviews etc, if I put something on here, it is usually just a question.
Almost immediately I had a problem - the music! It just kept getting louder and louder. I went to options to adjust it down to an acceptable level. No luck. Eventually I came out of game and muted the speakers on my machine!
The match 3 bits are OK - nothing special and not too hard. The rest of the game didn't appeal to me. The HOS were not difficult, but annoying - some items do not look anything like their descriptive word.
This was just not a game for me.

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Nov 19, 13 5:04 AM
I don't like this game either. Love hidden objects games but not these match 3 games. It's a no buy for me but gl to all those that like it.

grannyann_
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by grannyann_ on Nov 19, 13 5:10 AM
JTF, I like that better BTW, good review.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 19, 13 8:51 AM
Thanks for getting this started JustTheFacts and everyone. I'm just here to sticky the thread and post the review thread guidelines!

What do you think of The Far Kingdoms? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the The Far Kingdoms page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 19, 13 8:51 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

molly539
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by molly539 on Nov 19, 13 11:18 AM
I played the demo. I was interested to see, from the pics on the description page, what appeared to be a Match-3 board - I love Match-3s so I was excited to see this. However, while I enjoyed the look of the tiles on each board and the variation of changing the tile backs to another color or making matches to bring an item to the bottom of the board, the actual gameplay on the boards was annoying and a bit frustrating. Having to click on each of the tiles to make matches instead of just sliding one into position was clunky (mentioned in another review above) and slow. The hint button was helpful when I got stuck on one board - it shuffled some of the tiles around, making it easier to find matches to drop an item down to the bottom.

All around graphics in the game were nice. The HOs were list based and not interactive but were, for the most part, easy enough to find things. The music really fit the theme of the game and was very dramatic in parts. Unfortunately, it was also very loud. Even turning it down didn't help. Story wise, this felt very BTDT. I just couldn't get invested in the story. You have a bird acting as your scribe and a frog to help out. You also have a magic amulet that you can use to burn things away, like spiderwebs, or light candles. If the Match-3 gameplay was better and the music could be lowered, I would consider buying this game. Otherwise, sorry it's no buy for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 19, 13 11:23 AM
It was a game that had Match 3 and HOG's and puzzles. Enjoyed the story and graphics were not bad either. The sound was a little annoying but you can always turn it off. Hints were reloaded fast and all in all not a bad game for a Tuesday. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 19, 13 1:36 PM
Hi, Pond Pals...

Today's game has what has become the standard in the hand-drawn look. Graphics aren't bad, color is very vibrant and clear. Game play is good, no problems at all. There are no voice overs, which makes a game rather boring these days. However, the music was nice and changed up a bit now and then. You can click through the dialoge, which is always good when you read faster than they do.

The hint system is very helpful, but seems a bit slow on the return. There are a lot of match 3 games, but each one has a different picture, so it keeps it somewhat interesting, but still match 3. I'm not a huge fan of these games, but these were nice. Few HOGs...mostly junk piles because of all the cobwebs, and too crowded. The items are not all that easy to see. No locking inventory bar, so it jumps up and down...very annoying.

This game would be perfect for a beginner or someone who does not want any challenge. This game is pretty much a "no brainer" in play and story line. It is not a bad game, but does not have the challenge that I like. I recommend it for beginners, but not for the advanced player.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 19, 13 7:34 PM
Kingdom not far enough away

If you like princesses and amulets, you should like this game.
If you like witches and casting spells, you should like this game.
If you like pink and purple, you should like this game.
If you like match 3 puzzles, you should like this game.
If you like stories about saving a kingdom, you should like this game.

If you are like me, and you like none of those things, then you won't like this game.

ah, well, at least I tried it.

Edited on 11/19/2013 at 7:36:56 PM PST

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Nov 19, 13 10:22 PM
I like Match 3 games and HOGs but not in the same game. I actually groaned after the fourth or fifth match 3 came up. They made no sense in this game and made it progress extremely slowly.

The music was good but annoying as it continued to build in volume and then stayed there for far too long.

The storyline was okay but a bit disjointed and having the text "type" out instead of putting it up all at once helped to make the game seem far too slow.

The HOGs weren't too hard but did have some spelling issues. I liked the graphics, they were lovely and nicely done.

If you don't mind match 3's in your HOGs or HOGs with your match 3's, then this game is not bad, just not for me.

Supernerd
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Supernerd on Nov 21, 13 11:49 PM
Clunky, slow, crap graphics, useless hints. With my crystal in hand, it indicated I should go to the tree. When I got there, the hint told me to go back one step. I did. Hint then showed me to go the the naffin' tree again. In the end I lost patience with the glitches and dreadful storyline, and deleted it. No way.

All in all, I'm glad I got this as a free game, because I'd hate to waste my cash on this white elephant.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 22, 13 3:00 PM
FIRST...of it's kind, AND what a nice surprise, I really LIKE it, FINALLY a SE that is worth buying .

I played the demo, am having another dense day I guess ..because I got stuck for a few minutes, and than had that, A-HA moment, so was able to move forward.
I love having the M3 boards, but I am a M3 fan anyway, but I still didn't think I would enjoy having it, in my H0 game, surprise, surprise, it flows just right in the game play.

The colors used are just beautiful, so bright and pretty to look at, AND I also LOVE the way the scenes, just melt into, one another, no waiting between scenes .
The H0 scenes are loaded, but that has never bothered me, it gives more of a challenge in finding items, when there is plenty to rummage through .
I am glad I waited until today, to try the demo, had no issues to deal with, since I got the updated version...THANK YOU developers

I am into magical fantasy type games, so even though there are no bells and whistles, like extra items to collect, or morphing objects, I still find this a pleasure to play.
LOVE being able to burn things, if needed, just aim and fire..lol, always enjoy these extra little magical accessory's in games .
If your like me and like this type of game, its worth at least trying the demo, you might be surprised like I was, and find its a game for you .

wini1
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

Love this game!!

[Post New]by wini1 on Nov 24, 13 7:40 PM
This is one of the funnest games I have played in a while. I like that it is so many different games and puzzles in one. You have it all! I just wish it would have been longer, but I will probably be playing this game over and over. I hope they come out with another one like this. Does anyone know if there is one similiar to this?

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Nov 27, 13 10:59 AM
A nice enjoyable game.

Excellent graphics and scenes.

Nice combination of Hidden Object searches and Match-3 along with finding objects. There are also mini-games to solve.

You really don't need a Walkthrough with this game, the Hint setup works pretty well.

Hope you enjoy this game as much as I did.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 29, 13 8:09 PM
Great game! I like match-3, but not an entire game of it. This game is right up my alley. I get to play M3, but not ad nauseum and the HOGs are good and challenging. The graphics are beautiful with bright colors. A very enjoyable adventure/M3/HOG game!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 2, 13 9:07 AM
The game was on sale so that is why I purchased after the demo, otherwise I would not have spent full price for this. Game had some tech flaws that you could overcome but you had to do some thinking to do so...mostly with the hint button.

Game was short, not far to go after the demo. Game was a bit dark so it was hard to find things now and then, did a lot of "click and hope" with some items. Game had a variety of things to do: match 3, HOS, and mini games, etc. Quick Skip or Hint button which I needed at times because I got a little tired of some of the games.

Lots of color spots...no bling, but lots of color splashes. HAD TO TURN THE MUSIC OFF, it was just terrible and I also turned the sound down a bit too.

Probably won't play again so I give a 3minus out of 5.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Dec 27, 13 7:52 PM
finished what a cute little game. was too short though.

[Post New]by HaruWindsong on Jan 3, 14 6:19 PM
Wasn't impressed. Got to the castle and received the key...and then I couldn't move forward from there. Game is stuck in a loop when I ask for help. I've tried clicking on everything possible. Used the amulet everywhere. Can't find gems to unlock the castle door, or the rest of the "coins" to open the caravan door.

Go to: