[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 10:44:41 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 21, 13 1:34 AM
Personally, I never had a bad game from this team yet. I loved each and everyone in their own right. The bunny team is back with another wonderful game from the series Haunted Halls. Look like we are going to have a little hamster companion with us on our journey. Looks like it will be and interesting adventure and one I am truly looking forward to. Side note: Those doughnuts looked awesome. I would of loved to reach in the box and take one lol.

Story: Starts out about some lady complaining about paranormal activity and so she called for us to see what the problem is and to take care of the situation. Our detective thought it would be get rid of the ghosts and call it a night when our detective ran into comatose colleagues, strange creatures and those tentacles again. Dr. Blackmore in the house? Out to reach havoc once again. Well I am going to go see what happens with today's episode of "Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers.

Graphics: The team did a wonderful job in giving it that creepy look. Adds to the factor do I really want to go into the next room seeing how this one looks.

Music: Very nicely done to where at some points you can feel the hairs on the back of your neck start to crawl.

Mini games: Done just right again. No problem here.

H0GS: From what I seen one was the type where you use one object on another object until you get the item you need for your inventory.

Map: Jump map. Save the detective from some walking.

All in all another great game from the bunny team. Kudos for a job well done!

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 1:35:03 AM PST

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Nov 21, 13 2:12 AM
DITTO!!!! and then some!!

ETA:

sassylassie

BOTH!! A double yummy!!

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 10:24:57 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 21, 13 2:33 AM
I just played this game for 30 minutes and Im sure I'll be in the minority here when I say...it just doesn't do it for me. I remember when the first one came out in this series wayyyy back when and absolutely loving it. I thought it was one of the most unique games out there. Now when I demo this, I feel that there is nothing unique to this game nor do I feel like it has anything to do with the first couple were about except for the weird octopus arms.

You are in a house with a woman who has a skull that is possessed and she thinks that is what is causing the paranormal stuff in the house. You have glasses that help you get past these paranormal places and tells you information that will help you. Its basically a decoder. However, every time you need to use these glasses, you have to solve the same puzzle over and over. It has rune like letters and its the game where each side must match the letter. So AB, BC, CF, FH, HP etc etc I thought at first the glasses would be interesting but I really disliked having to play this game every time in order to bypass the paranormal activity.

According to the strategy guide, there are 5 chapters and a bonus. There are collectables which are potions and you have a hamster pet that you give these potions too once you've collected all of them in the series. So far I've collected love and anger potions. In my opinion, this is not the kind of game that would warrant having a cutesy pet you feed potions but thats just me. The music is the same ol same ol from the rest of these games.

I do like how you can customize the mini games in terms of casual and hard. You can also fully customize the game play in terms of seeing sparkles or penalties in hidden object scenes.

And part of the bonus is that you get your own zoo because a large part of the game are animals. There were also a lot of illogical things like who uses a live crab to cut knots or open a pouch. I know its a game but this one is just like all the rest of these games. Its the same thing over and over again and if thats the case, why not replay the ones I have instead of shelling out money for the same thing.

Also, the tab at the top of the screen that bobs down each time you get an achievement or get a new animal in the zoo. I found it annoying and wished I could turn it off.

With all the wow factor games out lately, this one just isn't up to par in my opinion. There is nothing stand out about this game and thats why its just not a buy for me.

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 2:37:17 AM PST

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Nov 21, 13 3:26 AM
great game, but when I want to feed the hamster, the screen turns black and I have to start my computer again..
so...sorry for the hamster but he is on a diet

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Nov 21, 13 4:04 AM
Megwoman I join your minority. Agree with everything you said. Would like to add that all those extras and achievements have just gone too far, they just keep interrupting the flow of the game. The game is beautifully made as always, unfortunately the game-play has become just too repetitive. They lost me with those glasses needed for the runes even with the quick skip, by the time I skipped the second and pushed out the constant pop ups on finding vials, animals, and needed inventory objects found myself no longer caring to continue. ERS still can come up with new and innovative ways to play their well made games, this one is just not one of them.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 21, 13 4:06 AM
This game is another retread of the same, the very same, fundamentals of all ERS games being released for the past many months ---- maybe years ---- and loudly trumpets that this trend toward cute, cuddly, childish, and oversimplistic will relentlessly continue. And a perfect example of of what has happened to ERS' stable of repetitious series. Whereas the first couple of "Haunted Halls" games had moments of genuine creepiness accompanied by adult (yet fun) themes, this game, with it's cutesy factor and nonsensical bordering on silly story line is just boring, childish, and plainly a rehash of the same old themes that have been done over and over and over.. Whatever got the idea of cute little animals with zoos or places they live or finding outfits for them, etc. to the forefront of the developers' thinking I can't imagine ---- but, for me and small ones around here, it just absolutely takes the fun factor completely out of the game. The game becomes a chore and boring very fast.
The music is the same as the others in the series, and the puzzles could be worked out by one of my cats.
ERS is clearly using their formula of nice graphics (and they are beautiful) with a rework of a game that has already been done. Too bad ---- such a clearly capable group of devs that haven't had an original game in a very long time. It is long past time for Dr. Blackmore (and certainly Felicia) to be retired to the old villain's home before they have to resort to meeting up with Abbott and Costello in a future game. Time for for something new, ERS, and time to move away from all the "cute" stuff ---- it has become nothing more than a distraction on the list of excellent games being offered in today's market.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 21, 13 5:01 AM
I absolutely agree with megwoman25 and cbtx. Those glasses were interesting the first time but playing the same puzzle over and over again throughout any game gets boring very quickly. The constant pop-ups showing potion vials, animals (oh dear) and who knows what else was irritating after the first couple of scenes, never mind putting up with it through 5 chapters. And of course there's the now seemingly obligatory pet, a hamster this time. I don't know if I had to name him/her; I gave up on the game long before then.

Yes the graphics are very nice and I thought the music in the opening sequence was fantastic. The options were customisable and I believe there is a jump map; all useful additions. But the game play is pretty much just the same old ERS style, exactly like any other of their games. The first two in this series were so much better; no cutesy pets and or silly goggles, just good stories with (as cbtx says) some genuinely creepy moments. This one is just a jumbled mess of all the things ERS think should be in a good HOPA. In my opinion it's time they re-think that strategy. I won't even get the SE of this disappointing effort.

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Nov 21, 13 5:03 AM
Well said Lilabelle and cbtx. Just bring us a straight forward mystery with just a couple of bells and whistles.
I totally got lost in the game not knowing what to do, because items needed to be used just did not make sense to me.
Sorry ERS, not this time

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 21, 13 5:32 AM
Dr Blackmore’s Back! In Our Dreams?

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Oh man... I am so weirded out by this game! In the best of all possible ways of course. It’s bad enough that Dr Blackmore is apparently alive and strutting his tentacles, now he has a fond ‘admirer’! Who has lured us into her extremely creepy home, captured our fellow investigator, and left us to fend for ourselves among a zooful of insane animals.

This has always been an excellent and creepy series, but it went ballistic for this game. As well as the signature aspects of the series, the betentacled doctor, the electronic gadgets and a uniquely surreal game world, ERS has introduced blatant magic for the first time. I literally could write a treatise on all this game has going for it, even after just one hour of playing it, but I’ll spare you.

HIGHPOINTS IN BRIEF (as I noticed them)

*perhaps the most dramatic opening of any ERS game

*highly customizable – many choices on all types of options

*ERS signature art, but much lighter than any other game of theirs I’ve seen. Combines beauty and creepy very cleverly

*lip sync’d voiceover

*cute guy as our partner

*an awesome level of weirdness in the story and gameplay (E.g., put the frog in the vase and feed him a chilli pepper to melt the wax.)

*special secret service goggles designed to see supernatural activity. Associated with a mini-game to reveal a game tip

*choice to play the hard or the easy version of INDIVIDUAL puzzles, inside the game, as well as fully customisable difficulty level from the menu

*many more puzzles/mini-games than HOPs. Only HOP I did was a find and use silhouette HOP, visited twice

*(but there’s sure to be more, because) I didn’t get to the halfway point of the demo (according to the SG) before my hour was up

*there are oodles of animals, but they are for the most part not very friendly. Those that are, are not very cute. I didn’t even like the cat

*good interactive map, journal, directional hint

*more bling! than you can count

to be cont'd

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Nov 21, 13 5:34 AM
I like but may wait to see what Thanksgiving brings in a sale since I own the rest in this series.
[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 10:48:32 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 21, 13 5:34 AM
Dr Blackmore’s Back! In Our Dreams?

cont'd

CE BLING!

*bonus chapter: seeing into the enemy’s mind (Dr Blackmore’s? Cuz that would be really scary)

*accessible SG (this actually didn’t look all that useful to me, it was light on information)

*excellent interface in keeping with the game for accessing wallpapers, videos, concepts, screensavers, music, replayable puzzles and mini-games

*achievements in a dream room in a night time sky

*collections – 5 vials each of 4 different potions

*zoo – collection of all the animals you come across in the game

*hamster (who thinks he’s a merchant)

BOTTOM LINE

Truly a stupendous game, particularly if you are a fan of the series. If you don’t know the series, your enjoyment of this game won’t suffer, but you’ll be wanting the previous games before the bundle sale is up!!

I recommend this game!

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 5:35:16 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 21, 13 5:40 AM
I just can't play this series anymore. I played 5 minutes of the last one, I just can't suspend reality enough to get over the octopus. I don't think I even made it 5 minutes with this one. Between the octopus and the glasses, and the animals, I was outta there! It's not that it's ERS, I just finished Shadow Wolf, Bane of the Family by them. It was chockful of HOs, which is my least favorite part of a game, but I still played it and enjoyed it. I will say the sound was very good, even on my cheap speakers. Enjoy your game, all those who buy it, but it's not for me, not even for free

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Nov 21, 13 6:03 AM

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 10:47:59 AM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Nov 21, 13 6:37 AM

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 10:47:33 AM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Nov 21, 13 7:41 AM

Edited on 11/21/2013 at 10:46:51 AM PST

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 21, 13 9:16 AM
Thanks all for getting this started!

What do you think of Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Nov 21, 13 9:34 AM
ERS. . .ERS. . .E - R - S!! What is UP with you guys and gals?!? I downloaded the demo; listened to what the police had to say; loved the look of the lavish colors and characters, especially dude with those donuts (yuuum); and even had to chuckle at the '5 Cuckoo Street' address where we had to report to. But, as soon as I started the actual game play, I HAD to stop. . .after about 10 minutes. Why so silly, ERS. . .whyyyy soooo silly?!? Love you folk, but I think I'll have to standby for your next game (lol)!! Wow!!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 21, 13 10:55 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Nov 21, 13 12:13 PM
I really enjoyed the previous Haunted Halls games, so I at least tried this one. I haven't been a big fan of ERS lately, but I thought this game had potential.

This series used to be somewhat spooky, and now it's not at all. There are adorable animals at every turn. In the first five minutes of the game there are at least five different animals. They're cute, but they don't fit in with the theme of the series at all.

-The game's graphics are nicer and less watercolor looking to me than previous ERS games, which I like.
-Sounds are the same reused sounds.
-Puzzles aren't terribly hard. The secret goggles minigame is very easy, and I imagine you'll have to play it very frequently.
-I do appreciate that they have a custom mode you can choose to play in.
-Achievements are too easy. They're mostly of just doing things you have to do to progress in the game anyway and also for collecting stuff along the way. Little boxes pop up every time you find a collectible or get an achievement. Hopefully they won't pop up as much later in the game.
- The CE does have loads of extras, but none of them really appeal to me other than the bonus game items. The extras are just sort of... there. There's not much you can do with them. Perhaps I've been spoiled by other games who had bonus games within bonus games and very interesting (and hard to get) achievements.

All in all, this is not a game for me. Perhaps I'd get the SE, but I'll pass on the CE.

Go to: