voiceofreason
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival Collectors Edition

[Post New]by voiceofreason on Nov 26, 13 1:21 AM
ETA.
To add to what megwoman25 said.
On the main menu, there is an option to view a video. "Spirits Of Blackpool". (It definitely does not look like the English Blackpool. LOL!) It is a small preview of another game.

In the bonus section there is wallpaper, music, solitaire, concept art, achievements, Doomed prisoners, shop, mutoscope (No idea what this is yet) and collection. All available to look at before playing. Then there is, a secret room (bonus?) and videos which cannot be viewed before playing.

It is playing in complete full screen for me

Cannot wait to see the reviews on this one
Although I am no longer a member, it is letting me DL the demo
Have fun all.

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 8:02:05 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival Collectors Edition

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 26, 13 2:02 AM
well this won't be review of the year but I demoed it and I love it. You get to collect morphing cards, bobble heads and money for your pet cat. I usually can't stand the animal pet thing but in this game, it fit the whole weird atmosphere so I didn't really mind it besides if you don't like it, then ignore it, there's tons of other things to do. And unlike Shadow Lake, there is a bonus chapter!! Its also like 14 chapters long!

There are tons of different difficulty levels. IF you put it on the last one...um monstrously hard (I think..well the one before the timed bonus play levels), its really like playing the old MCF games. There aren't even black bar hints and no cursors. The black bars say funny stuff but nothing related to gameplay.

I love elephant games but was kind of worried when I saw they took MCF on. However, after demoing, I do stand corrected. I was wrong to worry. They did a great job and its going to be very very hard for me to pass this one up before the next sale comes along! Cheers!

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 2:06:03 AM PST

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Nov 26, 13 2:36 AM
This isn't a proper review, since I haven't even played the demo yet, but it's Mystery Case Files. Of course I bought it sight unseen!

Sounds and looks like it's going back to the MCF we all know and love - the last two games (the pirates and the haunted prison) went a bit astray. I liked the humour of having one of those bog-standard reality TV paranormal shows in the Shadow Lake game, and the acting was very well done, but putting live actors into these games doesn't really work that well (and it was disastrous in 13th Skull where the allegedly busy barmaid just stood there gazing vacantly into space until you interacted with her).

So, I'm hoping for a good experience with this one, and early indications are good so far. When I've played a bit more, I'll give a proper review.

Later: Have begun to play it and yes, it's living up to expectations. A real return to the roots of the MCF series; so far, not a real live actor performance in sight and all the better for it. Creepy atmosphere, great graphics, plenty of puzzles and mini-games. Can set level of difficulty from easy to insanely hard. Interactive map means you can zap straight to the location you need to go instead of having to trek backwards and forwards.

Game revisits Madame Fate's carnival and ties it in with the Ravenhearst storyline; yet another member of that crazy family turns up (not telling who as that would be a spoiler). As usual, you are the Detective (though this time round you don't appear to be working for the Queen, which is a small quibble: I would have liked the nostalgia factor of the notion up till now that you were part of a special investigative service sent out on behalf of Her Majesty to investigate odd goings-on in the British Isles) who has to find out what's going on and put a stop to it.

Very happy to see this refreshed take on the MCF series; it's not really going backwards, it's keeping what worked and made these HOG games stand out from the crowd as a unique experience. Definite recommendation for this one!

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 7:02:32 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 26, 13 3:32 AM
Okay -- some heart and soul went into creating this game, giving it the feel of the original "Fate" and the earlier MCF games. In itself it gives you enough plot history to keep your interest in the story even if you haven't been to Ravenhearst or even the Carnival before.

Really, you should demo this, it is a noble effort. The difficulty modes provide something for every preferred level of challenge:
Easy Knievel -- sparkles, task list, available task on the map. fast hint and skip refresh
Swallow Hard -- no sparkles, slower hint and skip refresh, map indicators, task list
Difficult Detective -- no hints or skips, no task list, no map task indicators
Monsterously Tough -- no black bar hints, cursor does not change over active areas.
Timed -- you can't play that level until you have completed the game. This would appear to be a long game -- not sure I would play it twice.

There is black bar info on all levels, and it is clever and humorous at times. I'm glad it was left in hardest mode. There is no cutesy in this game.

Game play --more adventure and puzzle than HOs; fine by me. The HO scene I encountered was list with some interactive objects.
Some excellent puzzles -- some that feel like those logic ones of past game, some just maddeningly tough -- thank you, devs!!

Yes, there is a pet helper, but care and feeding of same is superfluous to actual adventure and can be left for later.

Collectibles -- of course. Several varieties, none essential to the core game, but there is a secret room you might not get into if you haven't found all of one of the kinds. (Not sure, I never opened the SG.) I was truly enjoying the adventure, puzzles and presentation, ans not concentrating on finding those things.

Achievements -- of course, again. Many awarded for playing the HO scenes quickly -- I will not get all the achievements.

Some odd ball extras:
Take a break from the main game to play some Klondike Solitaire. Why?
Your helper's abode -- furnish it from the store with $$$ you come across during the main game.
The Aforementioned Secret Room.
Another room for collectibles.
Replay movie clips you use during the game.

And the usual CE stuff:
Bonus Chapter
Music, Concept Art, replay cut scenes, Wallpapers

Today's sale -- buy this game for full price and get as many other CE's as you want, each for half off the Game Club price! Sweet deal.

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 4:01:59 AM PST

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Nov 26, 13 3:35 AM
AGREED!!! Very sweet deal!!

BFG really does us!!!! always the BEST games for the least .

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 8:54:28 AM PST

[Post New]by windowcleanhire on Nov 26, 13 4:31 AM
I did not finish the last 2 MCF games. Just not in the right style for me, with live actors etc.

This one so far is fun! I am playing on the middle difficulty and I have just got to the first puzzle that reminds me very much of Madam Fate puzzle I have so far spent 30 minutes on this one puzzle............................. I wonder if this is why I take so long to finish one game? LOL!

Good job so far, I hope that everyone, that wants to, can demo this game

Well done all at Elephant games

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Nov 26, 13 4:33 AM
I have been saving credits until I have two, so I may take a leap and buy this now...
even though I NEVER finished the original Madam Fate and actually went back and bought the SG with a free game coupon I had.

I am glad to hear it doesn't much matter if you haven't finished the first one, though I may just drive myself crazy and try playing both at the same time. o.O

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Nov 26, 13 4:57 AM
Wow what a surprise today.I was expecting this on Thursday .You pulled a sneaky one BF and I love it .Have great Thanksgiving.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 26, 13 5:23 AM
Authentic Sequel, Pure MCF

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I know everyone has been waiting breathlessly to see if the new developers of this game (Elephant) could possibly bring us a game that is all that the MCF series (you could almost call it a tradition) means to the fans. Especially seeing Elephant are not known for making games with a high level of creepy, or difficulty.

In order to prepare myself for this game, I have just finished attempting to play the original MCF: Madam Fate, of which this is the sequel. The similarities are amazing. The result is a game with the degree of more difficult gameplay, creepy atmosphere and solid story of the original game, joined with the exceptional graphics, ‘spectacular’ effects, and the bling! of an Elephant game.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Very high standard, as you’d expect. The graphics are dark, but richly colour drenched and clear. Lots of purple, flashing lights and animated fluff to liven up the scenes. Characters from Madam Fate are so close to their earlier pictures, it is as if the same artist has done them. The sounds of the carnival are creepy, there’s not a lot of voiceover, but it is as excellent as last time around. Music in tune with the theme and some of it is lifted directly from the earlier game. There are also a lot of pauses in the music where you only have carnival sounds around you. Tense.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Well, we’re back at the end of the game Madame Fate, with a small difference, Madame Fate is back from the dead and in need of our help. As yet it is not clear what that entails, but it is to do with lifting a curse. I felt the backstory of the game was lacking. I haven’t completed Madam Fate yet, and I felt a little lost. Much worse if you’ve not played Madam at all.

*sigh* to be cont'd

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 5:24:19 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Nov 26, 13 5:27 AM
cont'd

Authentic Sequel, Pure MCF

GAMEPLAY

Classic MCF gameplay. Trickier than usual puzzles, and puzzle boards. The puzzles are remarkable in themselves, mostly original, but in keeping with the carnival (and MCF) theme, and requiring a good bit of brain strain. Puzzle boards are a real problem for me, I’m hopeless at them, but I don’t want to skip them all either. So the good news is there are puzzle hints available on the board! Excellent!

Two of my favourite puzzles from the earlier game I have not yet seen here – word puzzles, and finding multiples of a single item or two on a pic of one of the characters. These are always fun. The only HOPs are few and far between, and are very interactive, with complex actions required to get the item. Some of the items are moving and must be caught when they’re visible.

BLING!
There are oodles of collectibles, achievements, and extra gameplay. Some of these I think may not be CE exclusives.

*Standard Features: Gallery items, bonus chapter, in-game Strategy Guide

*Morphing Cards (in the HOPs), which allow you to play in-game solitaire

*Old Pounds (banknotes, used with Isis)

*Bobble-head figures (12)

*Doomed (a page with the info cards of each of the characters)

*Achievements (beautiful fans for trophies)

*Solitaire (can be played any time inside the game). Others have wondered what the point is, but I like this feature – I find mega-games like this one tiring, and would enjoy a little break from the brain strain without leaving the game

*Mutoscope, which is a strange recording device you use in the game to see backstory, and can replay in the Extras

*Isis – your cat assistant. You can buy stuff for her with the collectible “old pounds”

*Spirits Of Blackpool preview – a Play 4 Free by the looks of it

*Secret Room – which will probably be like others Elephant have done and SPOILER! Be the equivalent of a Reader’s Digest of the game, using all the puzzles, but in a supplementary story that is skeletal.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I (unlike every other fish in the oceans) am not a big fan of the MCF games, but love Elephant games. So I was intrigued to see how the combination would appeal to me. I think it is an excellent meshing of two styles into an overall exceptional game. Whether I’ll be able to work out enough of the puzzles to complete it is another question altogether!

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 26, 13 6:13 AM
I wasn't even going to try the demo... I DID NOT LIKE the first Madame Fate AT ALL !! Then I thought I'd give it a try going in thinking I would not like it . So I downloaded and played . I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this game ! The hour trial went by quickly so I will buy this later on in the week
Others have explained all the mechanics of the game nicely so I won't go into that , just want to say a big " Thanks Big Fish and Elephant Games" for making a great game ! For any one else out there like me who did not enjoy the first Madame Fate you have to try this one !

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 26, 13 8:01 AM
What do you think of Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Nov 26, 13 8:01 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by HeavenlyCat on Nov 26, 13 8:27 AM
Great, great game! Well made, well thought out and back to the good old MCF style since they progressed from straight HOG's.

I have only found 1 morphing object so far. Lots to see and lots to do. I will take my time over this game and enjoy every minute of it.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 26, 13 10:23 AM
Just finished the demo. It's an OK game but nothing to write home about as the storyline has been played over & over again. Graphics are very busy & sometimes hard to distinguish objects. HOG's are the usual VERY cluttered/messy junkpiles. The music can be loud & annoying but does stop for short periods of time. I found the money/bobblehead collectibles without any problem but only found the 1st card & it was by accident. Fortunately there is a map due to the constant back & forth. Isis the cat was cute but the stuff you could buy her was ridiculous. There is nothing about this game that excites me & makes me want to buy it immediately. I may buy it on a special but for now I will keep looking.

Sorry BF/developers, I DID NOT find this game great or brilliant. Just a mediocre replay of bygone games.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Nov 26, 13 11:11 AM
Based on the demo.

First off, this is not a MCF game. it is an Elephant game based on the MCF games. It's definitely the best Elephant game ever released and I enjoy Elephant games but this is not MCF.

All of the Elephant trademarks are there - Gameplay is a little too easy, black bar hints can not be shut off and you've got a cute little fuzzy helper complete with a shop that has nothing to do with the story.

They have updated some of my favorite parts from the original Madame Fate - The bizarre characters, morphing objects within the HO scenes and especially the Rube Goldberg puzzles. Those puzzles are fantastic - tricky and original. They are the reason I will be buying this as a CE.

Everything else has already been covered. It's not a bad game, I'll enjoy playing. It's just not MCF.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Nov 26, 13 11:21 AM
I usually don't post reviews until I've played the demo at least. But this is an MCF game with five stars on the site reviews so I'll make an exception. After last time's fiasco it seems that BF did it right this time. Pairing with Elephant - a good move. This game has all the bells and whistles; some of which have probably never existed before. This game is my mint six-speed Camaro in cherry-red with absolutely every option and I intend to have a very smooth, exciting drive. I'm loving every minute of it and I would buy it right now without waiting for a sale if I could. But I'm patient and that sale will be here soon.

It seems that my detective is back. That was one of my major complaints about the last MCF game. No snarky comments, no talking to oneself, just a *bloop* noise as the wrong Inventory item popped back into the Inventory. I never bought that game and I never will. I would cry if I tried to play it again. The demo was enough to throw me into a black funk for days.

I was a bit worried when I saw Madame Fate. I thought perhaps MCF had gone back to its roots and I was expecting HOS after HOS. Been there, done that. What I wanted is something like Return to Ravenhearst and so far it seems that is what I have gotten.

I am enjoying the demo and until that sale shows up (Christmas present, BF? Hint, hint - I've been very, very good!) I will take it slow and savor every moment of this fantastic game. Even the graphics are top-notch. MCF is the cream of the crop and I know I won't be disappointed.

Kudos to BF for taking the complaints about the last MCF into account. I, for one, appreciate that. I missed my detective and the complexity and especially those snarky comments (I haven't run across a particularly snarky comment yet but I have feeling they are waiting around the corner).

I love Isis as I am very fond of cats. I have five myself after losing one a week ago.

I see there are a lot of achievements and collectibles and I love those.

I can't think of anything that detracts from this game (so far) and I am enjoying it so much that I wanted to share,

Happy gaming, fishies!! Thank you, BF and Elephant!!

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 4:24:56 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 26, 13 1:20 PM
A 5+ star game from the Pachyderm! In my humble opinion, this is one of the best games this year by BF. Very ultimately cool!! With this game this dev is the "big elephant fish" making a big splash in the BF aquarium. This will be a definite purchase for me.

This is another episode in the Mystery Case Files series of games. To me, this is the best one to date, but the last one was excellent as well, but to me not as good as this one. Be warned that this is a "dark" game - no fuzzy little fairytale creatures here. I love Isis, "the cat with sass" which is one little feline which is not high maintenance because you don't have to nurture it by dressing or feeding it. As another commentator has stated, the cat fits into the story beautifully. Actually I wish I could find a cat to adopt that looked like this one. The artwork is dark, mysterious and beautiful.

This work reminds me of a story from of my favorite books, Dark Carnival, by one of my favorite authors, Ray Bradbury. For that reason, I may be biased toward liking this game just a little. The puzzles (personally my favorite feature) are unusual and unique but not terribly difficult. You get to choose between levels (and there are quite a few different levels of difficulty. Some levels do not allow you any hints and are timed. However, you do not get to customize your game which I thought odd since the dev obviously has spent a great deal of time in creating so many different levels of play.

The HOG scenes have some interactive elements but in this area they are not much different from other games. You must play the HOG scenes and are not allowed to choose another game option such as Match 3 etc. However, with this game, I feel that the HOG scenes fit into the theme very well and any other type of puzzle would probably seem out of place. I love the eerie "muzac" as well. This game may not appeal to everyone (especially our little pixie and elf lovers), but I would rate this one of our Pachyderm's better games.

Edited on 11/26/2013 at 1:22:52 PM PST

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 26, 13 1:49 PM
I haven't bought a game since Shadow Lake, but I renewed my GC membership for this one and bought it sight unseen, and I'm thrilled. It's an incredible, awesome, fantastic game! I'm sure by the time I'm finished, it will rank as my favorite game of all time even beating out Dire Grove. Thank you MCF, BFG and Elephant Games for this truely outstanding game!!!

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Nov 26, 13 2:49 PM
Not sure where I am in the scheme of things but I've been playing this all day and think I've only scratched the surface!

Love looking for the little extras!

I can't explain how marvelous this game is. The 'door locks' are fun! (thank you for bringing them back!!) The scenery is ....immersive? I am THERE at the carnival, feeling the chill of the evening air. I swear I can smell popcorn and cotton candy!

The hidden object scenes are just fantastic! Just the right level of difficulty.

The mini-games are a blast! It took me awhile to learn that the diary is a BIG HELP in solving puzzles.

Naturally, the story line is....well, classic MCF!

Everything seems to be just the right combination. Right number of games, scenes, morphing things, etc. It's a sampler platter of the best of all game goodies.

Now that I've had a chance to aimlessly blurt out my accolades, I must go back and continue my sleuthing. Like I said....I think I've only scratched the surface of this game!

All time fave! I think I could play this game more than once!

Go to: