Reviews for Heroes Of Solitairea

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 2, 13 3:06 AM
Sweet Solitaire Game With Dragon Offsider

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This is a very nice little Solitaire game, opening with a very good voice, over a semi-animated story board. Though it is clearly not going to be an extravaganza, there is something about the game that is immediately endearing.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
Graphics are very well done, simple but good quality. The backgrounds for each level are fantasy realistic, by which I mean the scenes look real, just not necessarily of our world. I am particularly fond of the music. It is varied and unusual enough to be interesting. The narrator’s is the only voice.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
You find a strange box in the stream, and totally unaware that it is a secret weapon to be used against the evil witch who is harassing the kingdom, you open it. Inside is a beautiful dragon egg. The adventure follows you as you travel the kingdom, and care for your dragon. The nice thing about this game is the solitaire games do have a purpose in a story and you do take specific actions to move forward.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is a strictly standard solitaire game in all ways, with the exception of the dragon and the shop. (For those of you considering solitaire for the first time, there is a very easy and helpful tutorial at the beginning which covers the rules.) In each stage of each level (10 stages per level, 20 levels in all) you earn experience points as well as gold by ending the stage with no more than 5 cards left. 5 cards will earn you a skull, and 5 skulls will mean you cannot progress to the next level.

The experience points you earn can be used in conjunction with gold to buy powerups in the shop. As the dragon grows and increases levels, it is able to learn new skills to help you in battle (e.g. Cold Claw spell, which freezes and destroys 1-3 random cards). You can also buy armour for yourself to increase your effectiveness (e.g. a special belt that gives an additional 10% experience points).

FINAL VERDICT
There is nothing outstanding about this game, but it is certainly a nice one. If you are feeling low on solitaire games, you won’t go wrong with this one, but it is not a 'must have' in my books.

I recommend this game!

Edited on 12/02/2013 at 8:51:43 AM PST

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Reviews for Heroes Of Solitairea

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Dec 2, 13 7:36 AM
Solitaire games, especially the one card up or down (golf) type have some pretty big shoes to fill with standards like Fairway, Avalon, Faerie, Dr. Mal, and Legends, just to name a few. That being said, I don't think this version brings anything new to the party.

The opening story was rather corny and the 45 minutes I played the demo didn't introduce anything we haven't already seen repeatedly in other games. The locked cards, the power-ups in the shop, and the scoring system gave me a strong feeling of "been there-done that." Music was mellow but the default volume was very low, contrasted with a in your face 'COMBO' sign and loud gong that pops up every time you cross the 6 card threshold into a combination run. Reminded me of the old popups "Bam, Ouch, Wham" that happened during fist fights on the old Batman tv series.

Bottom line--if you have a collection of prior solitaire classics in you purchase history then you'll probably skip this one. If you're new to the genre this might be novel enough for you to give it a try.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 2, 13 8:50 AM
Hey Everyone!

What do you think of Heroes of Solitairea? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Heroes of Solitairea page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 2, 13 8:51 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by cathiecaffey on Dec 2, 13 11:52 AM
Every time that COMBO in bright orange pops up, scares the wits out of me. Hopefully I get used to it! Wished I could turn that off. I don't use sound since I can't hear so nothing to add on that. I do enjoy the variety of power ups (if that's what they are called, you can buy them from the points you earn in the game) to cast the spells on cards (such as getting rid of a card on top of to get to the next one). I confess I played and pretty much own most of the up and down and matching solitaire games even though much is the same of this game as Fairway and others, it didn't stop me from buying it because I love the fun designs of each of the card and the different power ups from each of these games (as well as some that have the matching ones like Heartwild Solitaire). Since I learned these games here I don't care for the usual Solitaire (Klondike). If you don't own one of these yet, I do recommend this one!
Cathie

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Reviews for Heroes Of Solitairea

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Dec 2, 13 3:20 PM
I don't have any really good reason for liking this one more than most of the Golf* types. But I do.

Including the clunk-COMBO! bit. Little as it fits the theme, I still like it.

Think I may actually buy it.
--------------------------------------
* The usual name of the original solitaire like this that you can play w/ an actual deck of cards.

Edited on 12/02/2013 at 3:26:08 PM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Dec 2, 13 6:05 PM
Based on the demo.

This is a cute little solitaire game suitable for all ages.
There is a lot of fun game play, with a lot of different levels.
Visuals and audios are great, making it a lot of fun.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 2, 13 6:30 PM
Agree completely with what goldendog said. And that COMBO Jack-in-the-box action made me jump each time as well. That was one of the reasons I didn't get the game.

Another is that the cards are animated when you hover over them, and it seems to affect my cursor. It's dragging a bit and the gameplay is therefore not as smooth as in other solitaire games.

Also, there was no challenge. No "get a combo of 20", or "get 3 Perfects", that sort of thing. You just had to make sure you finished a hand with less than 5 cards left on the table (preferably, because even if you didn't you could still continue).

No challenge, dragging cursor, COMBO scaring me every time I get 6 in a row - those are the reasons I will give this one a miss.
I am a huge solitaire fun (especially of the "one higher or one lower" variety), and own almost all the games. But this one will not be one of them...

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Dec 3, 13 10:33 AM
I tend to agree withValdy. Not a bad game, but nothing to add to the Fairway series,or any of the other great solitaire games. If you don't already own a great solitaire game, this one is a god start.

ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Dec 5, 13 10:38 AM
The combo thing ruins it for me also...

Valdy I've missed you!!!
Love your reviews
Tom

smiliedaze
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by smiliedaze on Jan 9, 14 5:16 PM
Anyone else have trouble with the story line not popping up unless you exit the level when you beat the 10th one? That almost ruins it for me... if I wanted just a solitaire game without a story I wouldn't have bothered to buy a game as I have one that comes with my computer.
The combo thing is annoying but in a way kind of a celebration... it's a mindless game to pass the time and for that this has it's bit of fun. The similar game with the faeries was better designed, but this will do as a runner up.

Go to: