Reviews for Crystals of Time

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 3, 13 3:14 AM
Maybe... But Then Again, No

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The most interesting thing about the intro is that there isn’t one. You go straight from the developer’s flash page to the main menu. So, low budget game. That’s okay. The main menu page is a bit more interesting. It has ghost-like images of the key players, with their bios, so faint and so quickly cycled that you only get an impression of what’s to come. That’s intriguing.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
In the locations of the game, the graphics are very so-so, and ‘dated’ – the pseudo-realistic style. I don’t like that style but I don’t think it should automatically rule out a game from further consideration. In this case, where the game shines is in the HOP scenes, where the graphics are so clear and clean you can almost feel the textures.

Being low budget, there is no voiceover, but not much dialogue at all either. In fact, the game is light on interaction no matter its form. The music is upbeat modern electronic, some interesting voices in it, and there is one sound I loved, the sound made when you make a wrong selection. If there were ambient sounds, I missed them.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
You are a thief, like your father before you. But, you know, a good thief . Right. Okay, we’ll forget occupation for the moment, but I’m sure it brings with it many talents we can make good use of. Other than that, it is your standard “find missing dad, search spooky mansion” story. Throw in a little time travel, and yep, you got a winner amongst typical HOPA fans.

PROGRESSING
This is primarily an adventure game, I think, it’s hard to tell because I did not get very far into it. There are some list (not interactive) HOPs, with limited animation and despite their clarity and light, are not very interesting. There are puzzles as well, not too difficult, but there are some good reasons for recommending waiting for a walkthrough. Because the adventure gameplay is not obvious and the help you can get is not necessarily helpful.

The hint system is one I would normally applaud, shows you where you need to go. But it doesn’t transport you, and there’s a good chance it’s somewhere you haven’t been yet. The teleport map, on the other hand, is not interactive, but will take you to a teleport site within a group of locations. I think there are only half a dozen of these, and many more rooms than that.

to be cont'd

Edited on 12/03/2013 at 8:14:00 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Crystals of Time

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 3, 13 3:15 AM
PROGRESSING (cont'd)
All of this would be by-the-by if not for the unusual placing of exits in the locations. I spent forever looking for a fuse box in a room I couldn’t find before I finally did. This is where I started losing interest in this game. It became too slow. And when I found myself again stuck because I didn’t have what I needed to open the door hint told me to, I just couldn’t go on.

There were other annoyances too. There were a noticeable number of spelling mistakes. The cursor would not change to the exit one until it was over the inventory bar. It was almost impossible to leave some of the close up boxes because there was no x, and the cursor once again didn’t change. Speaking of cursors, the darn thing is so finicky you can’t tell whether one of your desperate choices for inventory item is rejected because it is wrong or because it isn’t properly placed. All these and no walkthrough? I think not.

FINAL COMMENT
It was suggested in the forums that this isn’t a game for those of us who have gone ‘soft’, playing games that do too much hand holding. Probably an accurate assessment, so hard core players, don’t rule this one out! As for us softies, I don’t think it’s going to be high on anyone’s xmas list.

I don't recommend this game!

Edited on 12/03/2013 at 3:15:52 AM PST

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Dec 3, 13 7:41 AM
Always appreciate your reviews, JTF. But think I'm going to use a coupon code for this one. I like the look of it and the lack of bells and whistles doesn't bother me that much. Have been playing a lot of high quality CE's, so it's easy to write a game like this off in comparison. But I think this game is worth consideration.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 3, 13 8:12 AM
Hey FIshies!

What do you think of Crystals of Time? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Crystals of Time page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

Edited to fix link

Edited on 12/03/2013 at 8:23:19 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 3, 13 8:13 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by sbechirian on Dec 3, 13 8:56 AM
It is a wonderful game! The graphics make me think of the games in 2011; nice cru!
The music is really good. Plus, the game is small so my computer doesn't make bad noise while playing. Because of this game, I have reactivate my membership with Big Fish games. Hope all the games will be like this one!

Edited on 12/03/2013 at 9:00:54 AM PST

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Dec 3, 13 11:24 AM
This is a great little 'TGT' release. Played the demo and, although the story-line is nothing new, what I look at is how developers deliver the story-line in their game's version. Here, the game's mechanics could have used some polishing, such as the cursor doesn't always turn into the 'hand' when necessary; the directional arrow has to be placed exactly on the 'hotspot'; or that a circle of sparkles appear showing where an item needs to be picked up (that's a 'no no'), however, they're overlooked when delving into the overall feel of the game and its' element of "edge-of-seat" mystery. The scene locations are very clear and there are quite a few locations to explore. During the game's demo, I experienced no technical problems, it filled my screen, and the music the developers chose to use adds well to the mystery/atmosphere without being overwhelming. Also, as I'm not one that is in need of a map (only a few games I've needed one), both it and the journal are suitable enough for a basic game such as this. I also like the feature of going back and forth into a different time, which is similar in nature to two other games of this genre on BF.

Truth be told, I actually look for games by new and/or small developers for release on BF, as they bring their own different/unique style(s) of subtlety to hidden object games with their "no-two-games-alike", cookie cutter feel, and this little gem has enough challenge to make you think, but not too much where - for me, that is - a walk through is really necessary.

For me, this game is a definite buy!!

Edited on 12/03/2013 at 11:26:29 AM PST

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Dec 3, 13 1:51 PM
I liked this game but it is a real clunker technically. Sadly a no buy for me.

indybabs
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by indybabs on Dec 3, 13 2:51 PM
just the facts... please help me, mate!

I have no review for this game yet... but must ask a question

since BF has changed, I cannot find an answer and am trying to get in touch with Just the Facts. Please don't delete this

I am trying to play Myths.... Spring....... and am one of the few who is having a problem with this "easy" game. I know the axe in the HO game near the beginning has to split the kindling, but it keeps saying no. Please help me.

BF, if you can tell me a place to find answers when the forum for the game does not respond, I will happily post there.

I do miss the old BF when there was help readily available

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 3, 13 3:19 PM
Well, not a bad game, for an SE. There are no bells or whistles in this one at all, no extras, no morphing...nothing. This is pretty much a straight HOG. That said, HOGs are fairly clean and items are very easy to see. Puzzles are simple. Music is okay, but gets annoying quickly. There are no real sound FX and this game could certainly use them. This is an extremely quiet game. Graphics and game play are pretty good...had no problems at all.

There is a jump map, but it does not show you if anything needs to be done in an area, nor are the areas identified by name, only by a picture. You really have to know where you are going and remember where you have been in order to find the location.

Hint system fills at the usual rate, and is not really helpful. I know I need a key for the door, I asked for a hint to find out where to find it, but it doesn't tell you. It will show you where you need to go next, but not how to get there (very helpful if you haven't been in that area yet) and not what you are looking for when you get there.

This game is not challenging at all and is geared more toward the beginner. It could have been a nice game without much help. I don't need all the extras to enjoy a game, but I do need a little challenge or fun. Unfortunately, I found neither, so no buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you were looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 3, 13 5:23 PM

Adventure of Time

More of an adventure game. Be prepared to wander around a lot. Move the cursor around everywhere so you don't miss anything. But if you're an adventurer, you already knew that .

Spend a few moments at the opening screen before clicking "Play." Read the descriptions of the various characters because there is not much story telling during the game.

As others have noted, a few misspellings. The mansion is located "on the golf" (FORE!) and people have reported hearing "creppy" sounds there. You have to do some things before you "finnish." It will also help if you know what a trencher is.

Game play is minimalist. You wander from place to place in the mansion, pick up some things and observe what else you need to continue. Lots of doors are locked.

Not my style. If you like adventure games, you may enjoy. It you like dazzling cut scenes and well acted voiceovers, you'll be disappointed.

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on Dec 4, 13 12:52 AM
indybabs wrote:just the facts... please help me, mate!

I have no review for this game yet... but must ask a question

since BF has changed, I cannot find an answer and am trying to get in touch with Just the Facts. Please don't delete this

I am trying to play Myths.... Spring....... and am one of the few who is having a problem with this "easy" game. I know the axe in the HO game near the beginning has to split the kindling, but it keeps saying no. Please help me.

BF, if you can tell me a place to find answers when the forum for the game does not respond, I will happily post there.

I do miss the old BF when there was help readily available

Hi indybabs, just sent you a PM check your messages , hope it helps

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Dec 4, 13 2:07 PM
Very short review as I only finished the demo:

Good things:
- straightforward adventure in the style of Myst or Dominic Crane, with no backstory other than the brief character profiles at the beginning
- beautiful, crisp graphics
- fairly clear, bright hidden object scenes
- beautiful music
- truly a challenge with no hand-holding or hint system outside of HOs
- illustrated map, although I couldn't get it to jump for me
- no problems viewing or navigating on my Mac, although the game can't be played just by touch on the touchpad
- I only saw one lonely little spider and he didn't bother me at all.

Less than good things:
- I don't want to hurt these lovely devs' feelings but the spelling, grammar and vocabulary in this game really need a lot of work. Please consider having an English speaker proofread your games, and choose the labels for the hidden object scenes. (I looked for quite a long time for a turnip in one scene, then used a hint which showed me radishes.) If you are going to spend the time and effort to make these lovely games, it's just logical to put equal effort into the written part of them.

I totally enjoyed the demo of this game and have purchased it already.

***edited to add that the map works now and I can jump to the places I've already been.

Edited on 12/05/2013 at 6:54:15 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Dec 4, 13 2:26 PM
glad i demoed for myself and didn't go by the reviews...

this is a nice little stand-alone SE game. i'm tired of sequel after sequel... all the same game just repackaged... so i like these little gems.

yes, a few things are clunky (the mechanics of getting out of the zoom-ins: clicking anywhere outside the window would be nice instead of the cursor half into the inventory only) but the graphics are sharp and the music is very fitting to the atmosphere.

i played on the harder mode of the two and do wish that there had been no sparkles on the HOS, but will not quibble *much* since i saw no other sparkles at all. that's a plus!

i prefer adventure/puzzle over HOS, and this game has a nice amount of wandering around to different areas, so i can put up with the HOS, esp since they are not interactive so i can just click my way through them! the little game i play with myself is how many items can i "find" *before* i have to look at the list?

so, i will be buying this game with a PCC, but also would have paid $6.99 for it because i *like* that it makes me *think*! not every game needs to hand you all the answers and lead you by the nose!

and NO CUTE PETS!! THANK THE GODS!

devs, i will be checking out your previous games and watching for new ones!
thanks for this one!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Dec 4, 13 2:39 PM
Why have a map it it doesn't transport you anywhere. I agree with JTF that I couldn't find rooms that the hint button said was there. think I will pass.

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Dec 5, 13 1:25 AM
I found myself really enjoying this little gem of a game.

The graphics were clear and lovely. Changing the timeline was unexpected!!

It is not your usual hidden object game which is part of its appeal for me. Had to really think and work through the clues as presented.

The cursor was delightful with the blue light gem guiding the way and setting off sparks if doing the wrong thing.

And the storyline appealed as have always loved a mystery!!

Was a definite buy for me after only a few minutes of the demo.

Looking forward to more games from them in the not too distant future!!!

ETA:

have never yet met a policeman or a detective that spelled correctly!!!
that just added to the authenticity for me!!!

Edited on 12/05/2013 at 2:04:46 AM PST

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Dec 6, 13 11:53 AM
Have just finished demo and find the game a little challenging. You definitely need to remember what you need in each room and even tho I spent a lot of time roaming around looking for rooms, I am enjoying the game. It is a little slow and like others have mentioned, the developer needs to make sure they have the right name for the right item. I spent 10 minutes looking for a pipe that turned out to be a flute. Also I do not like the sparkles and some of the hidden objects are a little too small. Overall not a bad game.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Dec 7, 13 11:48 AM
I've completed the game and feel like I've won the brainiac olympics. Not an easy game in any way, with a lot of spatial strategizing and memory workout. The graphics were breathtaking, but my favourite element was the music.

The hint system (which of course didn't work on my Mac) and walkthrough were really not necessary. The only advice I'd give anyone who is stuck is to keep circling back to earlier scenes, and click on everything, even if it didn't work previously. I put more mileage on my index finger here than in any other game I've ever played. Even at the end you're going to have to look around right back at the beginning, in all the rooms of the house, multiple times.

Since there wasn't much of a story line, there wasn't much of an ending - pop, it was over. No sentimental goodbye! However I'd play the game again just to wander around in the eerie scenery. I recommend this game if you're tired of fairy tales, talking animals, witches and demons.

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Dec 26, 13 7:15 PM
Wouldn't have purchased the game. Had a free game credit. The spelling is a give-away that English is not the developers' first language. I keep getting hints to do something then can't do anything. A very frustrating game.

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Dec 31, 13 11:56 AM
Too many problems. The tree is always blocking the way even when you use the lift to bring it up. There is no way to get to the face of the fountain in the greenhouse--whatever you are supposed to do there. Sorry I bought this one even after my free hour.

Go to: