bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Reviews For Design This Home!

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 5, 13 11:52 AM
'Tis that time again!

What do you think of Design This Home? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Design This Home page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

Re:Reviews For Design This Home!

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 5, 13 11:52 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by Vantripper on Dec 5, 13 1:06 PM
You will love this game IF:

-you are under the age of 10
-you like really BAD jazz music
-you like really BAD graphics

For my money (thank goodness I only tried; didn't buy) this is the worst game that Big Fish has ever put out!

[Post New]by coffeekid831 on Dec 5, 13 1:53 PM
Can't move things once placed

Warning, the game was still running even when I exited. I had to go into my task bar to close it out.

Sorry, will be deleting - things should not run in the background without warning.

lcjdqs
Clownfish
Clownfish
691 Posts

[Post New]by lcjdqs on Dec 6, 13 10:15 AM
Got to kitchen, bought stove, no money to go on and no way to make money,so no go for me. Game could have been interesting.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 9, 13 11:49 PM
Coffeekid... I had the same problem with the game still running. You have to go into Options, and turn off "Notification", otherwise you will get that little tab in your task bar, telling you when something new appears. Turn it off, and it won't happen.

This game reminds me slightly of the very first "The Sims" game. Not a bad game at all.

The one thing I don't like, and the reason I won't be playing it, is that once you have placed an object, you can't move it. You don't always know where you want to place something or you might put one object closer to the wall than the one next to it, and it all looks a bit wrong. So you want to be able to move the things around, but you can't. And that's what is missing in this game.

[Post New]by AppMinis on Dec 10, 13 1:29 PM
Hi all,

This is the developer of Design This Home.

Thanks for the feedback!

To address something that seems to be coming up as a question - you can move furniture after you place it. Simply open the Design menu (the Design button where you can get furniture) first, and then hold and drag any of your already placed furniture to somewhere new.

Hope that helps!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 10, 13 5:21 PM
Hello AppMinis...

Thank you very much for the information. It would have been nice if it had been explained to me right at the start when I had to add my first piece of furniture.

Off to reinstall the game, now that I know I can move the furniture.

--- --- ---

ETA: Vantripper: You got this game wrong. You don't buy it, but play it for free.

Edited on 12/10/2013 at 5:28:27 PM PST

Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by 1319 on Dec 13, 13 4:52 AM
I wish someone would do something like this (or a hidden object game) that knows about decorating and design.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 13, 13 5:00 AM
AppMinis wrote:Hi all,

This is the developer of Design This Home.

Thanks for the feedback!

To address something that seems to be coming up as a question - you can move furniture after you place it. Simply open the Design menu (the Design button where you can get furniture) first, and then hold and drag any of your already placed furniture to somewhere new.

Hope that helps!

Hi, AppMinis, do I have to be online to play this game? I don't play any FTP that require an online connection.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Dec 13, 13 6:36 AM
This being the Review thread I'll leave mine.

Where to start with this one? Firstly, this game's design is so childlike and basic that even the very first Sims game, way back in the 90s, had better looking furnishings and characters.

Secondly, like all F2P games the gameplay is incredibly slow. The first level goes relatively quickly, but by level 2 I had to wait an hour for a door to be delivered and the kitchen sink took 2 hours. That is real time, not game time. Of course, if you want them to be delivered right away it costs you 3 coins. Coins and cash are hard earned and spent easily and quickly.

That, of course, is the whole point of these type of games. You'll run out of coins quickly but you want to progress? Simple, log on and buy more. A measly 6 coins (that's 2 items you can have delivered right away) will cost you $0.99. You can either spend your real money piecemeal as you need coins/cash, or you can jump right in and buy 600 coins, which will set you back an astounding $49.99. 5,000,000 in cash will cost you that amount again.

This is your hard earned real life money here! Up to $100 for a game that I wouldn't even buy as a Deal of the Day or a Weekly Catch.

If you enjoy watching paint dry and don't mind waiting for hours and hours for something to happen, then it may be for you. But for those who want normal-paced gameplay there are much better games of this type out there for a straight purchase price. I'd spend $20.00 or even $30.00 on the latest Sim game anytime over this pointless and boring trash, which is designed to please only one party - the developer in raking in the cash.

Deleted.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 13, 13 7:42 AM
If you have never played Free To Play games before, this is a great place to start. It has a really good Help section which, in addition to explaining how to more objects, clearly explains when you are spending in-game currency and when you are spending real-world funds. The first couple of levels go pretty quickly and give you a feel for whether you want to keep playing or not.

This game has a number of technical problems. If you try to play full screen, the menu, tasks, and zoom buttons aren't there. You have to play in windowed mode. However, it has a zoom feature, so having a smaller screen doesn't make things hard to see. It is designed to interface with your address book and e-mail, which doesn't work on a PC.

The biggest flaw is that if you have already bought something needed for a goal, the game does not recognize it, so you have to buy the same thing again. Also your little sim person never does anything. The graphics are outdated, but it is still a lot more enjoyable than Virtual Families 2, which has lots more technical problems.

pianogrinder
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by pianogrinder on Dec 13, 13 8:33 AM
Well it's not a bad game for first starting out.
However, we need more things to do while waiting for things to be delivered. Take a look at farm up. While waiting for crops to grow we can catch butterflies for more blue jars, and even take side quests. All we can do is wait until we get notified by our PCs when things are done.
And how about making the "residents" interact with their furnishings, like sitting on the couch, making dinner, and going to sleep. It would also be nice if we could see them interact with each other. Right now they are just walking around the house like zombies. The game would be much more entertaining if we can see the residents interact with their surroundings while waiting. At least it would give us something to see so we don't get bored to tears. Minigames would help alleviate the boredom. (like the collectables in virtual family.)
But there are a lot of possibilities with this game. With more things to do, the more likely we are to play more.
Looking forward to future updates to see where this goes.

[Post New]by piperhaven on Dec 14, 13 7:15 AM
I don't mind the slow pace of the game (it is free after all). I just do the tasks, quit the game and go back the following day to collect and accept. I'm already on level 5 after 4 days of playing.

[Post New]by mammamia21099 on Dec 14, 13 7:31 AM
Stinker of a FTP Game!! Extremely Disappointing!

I'll start out by saying that I love and play regularly most of the FTP games on BF. This is going to be the exception for me. I was so excited to see a designing game in the offerings. They should have gotten the developers who made Home Sweet Home to build this game. They at least know what they are doing.

This game is half done. (Most items end at between levels 12-15). They are depending upon the monies that come in from us purchasing energy and coin packs to furnish the rest of the game. This means that after a short time, we will be playing the sit and wait game while the developers slowly come out with new material for us. There is no storyline to this game, there is no challenge. All that you do is pick out furniture for your home and wait the required time for them to be delivered. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less. Shame on BF for putting their name on such a putrid offering! Waste of time and energy.

I do Not recommend this game!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 14, 13 5:52 PM
It's hard to write a review because it sure doesn't seem like a game. Was there a game? Maybe I missed it
Anyway, I chose one of two couches, one of two chairs, one of two lamps, and tables, and placed these teeny tiny pieces of furniture in a big giant room, then chose 2 kitchen counters, a stove, and a fridge, and that's about all the excitement I could handle for one day. If it turns into an actual game I hope someone will come back and tell us about it.

NileRose
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by NileRose on Dec 14, 13 11:32 PM
I personally like it...it's not a game that takes my whole time. I can do a few tasks in the game, then I can sign off the game for a while and do other things. This is very much looking like a real time Sims style game.

While I do agree that there could be other things my avatar could be doing to earn extra money, I'm willing to wait as this is a brand new game and I would imagine (a.k.a. hope) we will see updates as we go along.

I see a game with a great amount of potential, but it also requires quite a bit of patience.

[Post New]by flowergambler on Dec 17, 13 11:01 AM
It is a good game, but I still can't take pictures or buy coins, if this doesn't change soon, I'll stop playing this game.
I have gmail (have written this another place too).

I

LadySorcha
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by LadySorcha on Dec 17, 13 1:59 PM
Tried this game. not too bad at first, then I accidentally hit the get more button.
Well, things went all wrong since then. The page to buy more popped up and blocked most of the page. I could not x out. I ended up hitting the Ctrl Alt Delete
keys to shut everything down. Ever since then my Game Manager page has been stuck in Maximize mode.
So... My review for this game is as follows:
Good concept,but needs work.
Game does not transition smoothely from design back to the layout of the rooms.
You can not move things once placed, at least not easily.
my experience was, I hit design and got what was needed. then it was uh oh...
The button to get back was so far down on my screen that I could not access it.
Fix the bugs or whatever is wrong with this game.
I see several people are having issues with this game.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Dec 17, 13 4:35 PM
This game was ok at first . I do like design games and was ready to give this try but I have several issues.

1. No rotation. I would like to be able to put painting or whatever on other walls not just the two that are visible
2. You can not clear away the optional quests. I am not going to use the measly bit of gold to buy a 3 star item and I am not going to pay real money for this type of game
3. Time to have things "delivered" is way too long. Also time to collect money earned.
4. Choices for furniture are a bit confusing. Needed a table for the kitchen and then again for the dining room. Most of the choices for tables look like coffee tables leaving only very few choices for dining tables.

After giving this a try for a few days I am about ready to delete. There are too many "free" games out there now to waste my time on one that seems so basic. Besides I already have a couple of full version games that I got from here that have more to do

Go to: