Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Dec 7, 13 1:42 AM
As Detective for the Agency of Anomalies, once again you must fight the Seekers Brotherhood and stop their evil plan for world supremacy. Your new case takes you to an exclusive sanitorium located in the Alps. Soon you discover that Dr. Swens is behind the mysterious brainwashing of several influential patients. With a powerful device on your wrist, you must battle wits with the good doctor and save several of his victims.

I really enjoy this series and felt that the developers have taken a tiny step back with some of the graphics. ALthough our story line is interesting, I found the visuals and sounds to be a bit old school. Animations are well done, no great special effects, however graphics are sharp but there are minor things that are amiss like mouth movements during dialogues. A lack of sophistication in the technology is apparent but still gameplay is promising.

To my disappointment there are three levels of difficulty to choose from and unless you choose hardcore, you will get the sparkles. Game features include a map that allows for travel, a journal with a list of objectives and a brain device that takes you into the minds of your victims and alternates betwen a dream world and reality.

HO Fans will definitely enjoy this game because there a many hidden object scenes and the best part is that they vary in style. You have your standard list of items, find the sillohettes and place listed objects back into their proper place.
Puzzles and mini-games are somewhat challenging which is a plus for me and I paticularily enjoyed the going back and forth between two alternate realities.

There are collectables throughout the game and a list of simple to do achievements as well. A very entertaining game with a certain level of difficulty if you decide to play advanced. owever not as challenging as previous games.
A definite four star game that certainly has merits and will not disappoint. Perhaps not the best in the series but definitely worth it especially if you take advantage of the sale this week-end. As I said, HOG Fans will most definitely enjoy this game

Edited on 12/07/2013 at 8:20:09 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

Re:Game reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion CE

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 7, 13 2:36 AM
First I would like to state, I am playing in the second mode and the only sparkles I have seen is for the H0GS, not for any of the items we need for the game. For me this is playing like any other game in the 'Expert' mode. Now on to our regularly scheduled program.

Hello OrNeon and Merry Christmas! Here comes another "The Agency of Anomalies" yay! I love this series, so nice and spooky. Now we can see what that quack is up to this time. I didn't even bother demoing it just bought it straight out. The VO's are fantatically done! And the detective is very humorous, love it! Definitely a 10 star like the rest.

Story: We meet this lady named Renee on the cable car whose hubby went ill and they were told that the only ones that could help was this quack job of a doctor. Well the wife said she got a her hubby's pocket watch back with a letter stating that he wants a divorce, but to her it just doesn't sound like poor Alfred. Then when you thought Renee turned traitor, did she?

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous. They are very clear in the H0G scenes so no one should have a problem.

Music: Very befitting for the game and adds to the creepy factor. It's not obtrusive in the least.

Mini Games: I didn't see a problem at all. Not too hard or easy and they make you think. The instructions to the mini games are very well done.

H0G Scenes: First one was a put stuff back where they belong. I love those kind. But I remember from the past that OrNeon always had a nice array of H0GS.

Map: Fast travel. Makes the game so much easier. Saves the detective leg work.

Again, superb job OrNeon! I totally look forward to the rest of the game and know the story will be awesome as well as the game play.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 7, 13 3:15 AM
Creepier Than Ever!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I’m a big fan of this series, which started out so stark and creepy and with great imagination. The second and third games were both great games too, but they never quite matched the first in creepy. This one is back with an atmosphere that makes my skin crawl in parts. I know a lot of players who will like this breath of fresh air, after so many beautiful fantasy games this year.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
This does not mean that the artwork is any less than the best of those games. It may be depicting disturbing images, but it does so in splendid colours and animation. Voiceovers are very good, with no attempt to lip synch. The sounds are the expected creepy, and the music is pleasantly non-descript.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
You come to the aid of a wife whose husband appears to be held captive at an asylum hospital, having gone there initially of his own free choice. Your arrival is delayed a little by the unavoidable need to fix the sky car mid-flight! Once on the ground again, you are greeted to the spa by Dr Swen, member of the Seeking Brotherhood, who gives you a quick reprise of the stories in the other games and brings you up to date on their machinations. Then you are sedated and wake up trapped inside your very own mind! Luckily you escape, and now you must free the other patients by entering their minds are curing them. Love these mind games!

MAKING PROGRESS
This is primarily a HOP adventure, and HOPs vastly outnumber the other games and puzzles. There are 5 types of HOP so far:

*Replace misplaced items found in the scene
*Place picture fragments in the scene
*Find silhouettes
*Place misplaced items by list
*Interactive word list

to be cont'd

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 7, 13 3:17 AM
Creepier Than Ever!

cont'd

At least some of these scenes are revisited, but not necessarily using the same search method. The puzzles are rare but what I saw I really liked, for example, the 4 part maze, that was very different in style.

The entire hour was needed to finish the demo, which contained the first two chapters. This is my only real concern – the SG shows only 4 chapters plus the Bonus.

CE BLING!
No wallpapers!! Oh no!!! Okay, overreaction, but I do like them. Instead we have Concept Art, Replayable Mini-games, Achievements (lots) and Collectible Canes (31). As well as the SG and bonus chapter of course. NO PETS THOUGH!

FINAL VERDICT
I absolutely love the imaginative approach in this game. Inside others’ mind are eerie and creepy images and concepts at least on a par of all the so-called cute and beautiful games. And the game play is also quite different and original.

I recommend this game!

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 7, 13 8:18 AM
Thanks for getting the reviews thread going!

What do you think of The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion Collector's Edition? We'd love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you're experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mind Invasion Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 7, 13 8:21 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgFlounder

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 7, 13 11:52 AM
Others have reviewed the story, so on with the game play. I have the other game in this series and really liked it (Cinderstone Orphanage). The graphics in this one seem a little cartoon like. More and more devs are going in that direction for some reason...I much prefer the look of "real" over cartoon, but they are well done. Game play is very nice, although a little slow in movements in the SG and jump map. Music is nice, didn't even have to turn it down. I did not hear much in the way of sound FX, but maybe that changes as the game goes on. Voice overs are also well done, but few and far between.

SG is very simplistic and easy to follow. Does not say " go to yard," but tells you how many steps back you need to take to get where you need to be. Probably a good thing, since the areas on the jump map are not identified by name, only by picture. There is not nearly as much running back and forth in this game (thank you, thank you), but you do return to the same locations multiple times. Jump map does save time, but areas need to be clearly identified.

Since I am a HOG fan, these really appealed to me. You get silhouettes, return the item and straight HOGs. Nice change up. HOGs are clear and items not difficult to find. You will play the same HOG more than once during the game. Puzzles are quite fun and different. They are not extremely difficult, but do take some time and thought to complete. The only collectible I found are the canes, which are very easy to spot.

I really like this game and I am going to purchase today. The only reason I did not give this one 5 stars is because of the lack of area identification in the jump map. This game is not especially challenging, but for some reason, I found it to be a very nice and fun game, one that I think will appeal to all levels of players and worth the price of the CE. It will definitely hold your interest throughout the game.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 7, 13 4:09 PM
Another in the series of games dealing with the Agency of Anomalies from OrNe First, I have never really cared for this game series. I am not really into games with the "mad scientist" theme. However, I will try to be objective in evaluating this game although it is not appealing to me personally. I believe this is the third in the series of game involving the Agency of Anomalies. You are searching for a woman's husband who has been captured by a psycho scientist who using him for research. This game is similar to the others in the series. However, I must admit, I never bought any of the games in this series, so I am going on what I experienced in the trial period. You have three choices on the play level, and again, you cannot customize your game. The game is full of those dreaded sparkles. They make me think of the 4th of July which may actually be a good thing since it is like a frozen tundra in most of States. However, in my opinion, these sparkles should only be included in the easiest version of the game. The HOG scenes are interactive, which make them less boring than usual. I agree with others that the graphics are fuzzy and the game seems dated. This game is very easy to navigate and not much of challenge as well. If you want a very light and easy game, this would be it. After the wonderful, warm and fuzzy offering from Thursday by one of our best devs, this one, to me, really misses the mark. In summary, the game seems dated and way too easy for me. This will be a pass for me even as a future SE.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 8, 13 11:55 AM
Just got to play the game and really enjoy it. I played both of the others and this one is better than the two before this. Hints reload fast, and story keeps me interested and want to go further. Like the different HOG's and are fun to do. Will be a buy for me but have so many others to finish first. Give this 4 out of 5 stars.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 9, 13 1:40 AM
It doesn't inspire confidence when there are 40 posts in the 'technical issues' thread but I played the demo with no problems. Game is nice enough but as someone else said, it feels a bit dated. The story was interesting though.

Played on advanced and no sparkles other than the HOS, of which there are a lot! I liked the puzzles, particularly the maze; not a new idea but done very differently. The graphics are sharp and colourful. For me it's not quite as good as the first 2 in the series but still an interesting game. And there are collectibles but a few too many HOS for my taste.

The downside is the game is not programmed in true widescreen, so I get black bars down either side. Sorry devs but it's just not acceptable nowadays for the CE price. I'll wait for the SE.

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Dec 10, 13 10:49 AM
I do like the creepy mind games, but although I have all of the other Agency of Anomalies, this one is just too gross. It's too bad, I was having fun, but the garbage, rotten fruit, etc, disgusting kitchen, was just too much for me. Yuck!

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 10, 13 4:37 PM

With this developer, it was always either good story or good gameplay, but never both. I have trialled most of this developer's other games, and this was always the case. Now, it seems we can have both! This game had a great story, great gameplay, and was just an all-round good game! I will be getting the SE!

The story is wonderful. It's just my kind of story! It's similar to other games I own and love, so when I read the blurb, I knew I'd love it. It's like a cross between Surface 2 and American Horror Story: Asylum. I loved both that game and that TV show, so this story is my dream! In my last review of a game by this developer, I was critical about the story having no twists and everything being predictable. Well, this game was the exact opposite! The demo had a twist that I wasn't expecting at all. I can't wait to see how the story ends! It was so exciting, and I was just playing on and on. The demo went by in a flash! The story just grips you. I guarantee once you start, you won't be able to stop!

With most games, it seems you either have a great story or great gameplay; one is always much better than the other. With this game, both are equally as good. I'll admit, the different HOS took me a bit of time to get used to, but once I did, I loved it! There are three types of HOS: Place the item in the scene, silhouette HOS and the standard junkpile. I had a lot of fun playing the HOS, and loved each type equally, but I'd say the most difficult one was place the item in the scene. The junkpile scenes included interactive objects, which was nice.
The puzzles were a bit of a challenge for me, but I was able to solve most of them. I think, from memory, I had to skip one. The other puzzles took some time and thinking, but I was able to solve them. I also had quite a bit of fun along the way! Well done, developers, for some great puzzles.
Now, for the normal gameplay:
It was a little weird at first, after having played so many games by this developer with the inventory at the top, to finally see it at the bottom, but that wasn't an issue for me. The game is quite easy to navigate, with all the usual controls and stuff. The game was pretty easy to play. I only had to use the hint a few times. I'd say experienced players won't have much trouble with this game.

(TBC in a second post)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 10, 13 4:38 PM
(my review continued)

The graphics are the only thing that needs a bit of working on. I found the graphics to be out-dated, nowhere near as good as most of the graphics we see today. I found them to be a little grainy in some areas. I wished the developers had worked on the graphics a little more.
The voice-overs are standard, nothing really worth commenting on.

FEATURES
3 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced and Hardcore. Differences are hint and skip recharge times and sparkles, with Hardcore shutting off the hint/skip function and sparkles. I played Casual.
Hint/Skip- both recharged fairly quickly for Casual and the hint is useful outside HOS.
Diary- used to keep track of events. Used regularly.
Map- there is a map in this game, and it is interactive, It is helpful, telling you where there are tasks needing to be completed.

CE EXCLUSIVES
Built in Strategy Guide- very useful for puzzles.
Bonus Chapter- unsure if needed.
Achievements
Collectible canes- there are 31 in the game.
Bonus mini-games
Concept art

I have no interest in the CE Bonus stuff, so I'll go ahead and wait for the SE. This is truly deserving of its ratings. I'm giving this five stars.

My advice? Wait for the SE. Unless, of course, you like achievements and collectibles.

Ukiah
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Ukiah on Dec 17, 13 9:15 PM
One big issue I have with any developer is when they design a puzzle that relies upon dexterity, rather than problem-solving. I spent many years playing games like Everquest and World of Warcraft, so I'm not unfamiliar with rapidly working the keyboard and mouse, but I'm at an age now where my right hand bothers me when I have to click the mouse too many times. I wish developers would keep that in mind, since I suspect most HO fans are not teenagers and may also have the same physical concerns.

I could be totally wrong: please correct me.

But, early in the game, holding the mouse down and trying to complete a complex navigational movement in a maze that was tempermental was quite painful. Timing and dexterity were the keys.

I hate to skip puzzles, but I quickly realized I could be frustrated and in pain, or I could take a hit in the achievement category.

It bothers me that those were my choices.

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 9:16:30 PM PST

JamieJBD
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by JamieJBD on Dec 29, 13 4:51 PM
I just finished game. Loved it. Nice length to it and nice graphics. Have played the others in the series. The bonus game was great. Will look forward to the next one.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 14, 14 1:48 AM
While I VERY MUCH enjoyed the first 2/3 of this game I've gotta say it was tedious at the end. There was just a lot of back and forth. There was the irritating problem with the map/dice game. There was that darned 31st cane (it must have been around the 15th cane, really, that I couldn't find.

I wasn't in love with this when it was over. But I'll be looking for the the next AofA game like everyone else!

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Jan 15, 14 7:12 PM
Was OK...not "CREEPY".

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 16, 14 2:24 PM
Buy this game! Excellent CE material. Interactive HOS, map, puzzles, great characters, well hidden collectibles, etc. When I finished, I seriously thought about replaying, but I'll save it for later.

Go to: