Pangaeus
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

Trying to decide whether to buy this one or not...please help

[Post New]by Pangaeus on Mar 13, 09 12:48 PM
I really liked the demo of this that I played. MCF games have the best HOG quality, IMHO. However, not that I've been spoiled by the later MCF games, I don't know whether to buy this one, given that it is much smaller than HOGs coming out recently. What do y'all think? Thanks in advance!

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

Re:Trying to decide whether to buy this one or not...please help

[Post New]by AnnBy on Mar 13, 09 12:52 PM
I thought it was a good game. I forget how long it took me to get through it. It's not Ravenhearst or Madame Fate though. I played them in order though so that may make a difference, since they get better as they go.

kishimojun
Stingray
Stingray
4,534 Posts

[Post New]by kishimojun on Mar 13, 09 12:54 PM
It was my very first HOG, so I have a soft spot in my heart for it. That said, it never gets more complicated or difficult than the demo. If you like games that don't really require a lot of higher level thought to just get lost in for a while, you'll like it. This isn't a steak dinner at a fine restaurant, it's a greaseburger with fries and a coke.

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Mar 13, 09 1:36 PM
I bought it so I could have all the MCF games, but enjoyed playing it, and still haven´t deleted it from my computer as I go back to it sometimes.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 13, 09 2:28 PM
I bought it ages ago and adored it, but would I still adore it now after having played the more sophisticated MCF's I don't know. I agree with Kishimojun, demo it with the knowledge that the demo is a clear representation of the whole game and decide from there.

Pangaeus
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by Pangaeus on Mar 13, 09 5:22 PM
Thnk you all for your opinion! What about Huntsville- was it pre or post PS?

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 14, 09 4:06 AM
Huntsville was the first one of the MCF games Pangaeus, loved it at the time as well.

[Post New]by shadedPhoenix on Jul 14, 10 10:27 AM
Thank you for your opinions. I recently got into this genre and was wondering which ones other people liked and were worth purchasing.

kickenbass
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by kickenbass on Jul 29, 10 11:16 AM
I own all the MCF games, not a bad one in the bunch. This is as entertaining as any game could be- If you decide to purchase this one, you will probably play it more than once -

Ms. Quinn

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 29, 10 11:26 AM
Hey pangaeus, elldee here: you can't go wrong with any of the MCF games--they're a hoot and they last quite a while. From "Huntsville" to "Prime
Suspects" to "Madame Fate" to "Ravenhurst" to "Return to Ravenhurst," they're all winners in my book. Please do yourself a favor and enjoy all of these classics!

Edited on 07/29/2010 at 11:26:56 AM PST

[Post New]by susanboehlje on Aug 6, 10 5:52 PM
DON'T! I got through it once but not without developing a case of claustrophobia from all those blacked out screnes. The lighted "magnifying glass" didn't work for me. Sure, it might have made it more challenging, if you could stand it. As far as the rest of it....most scenes are way too cluttered and impossible to distinguish objects that aren't even clues. And a game that won't help with a walkthrough when you are legitimately stuck...bogus. I'm sorry I took advantage of the $2.99 fav picks sale.

[Post New]by emmagold on Aug 28, 10 12:30 PM
This is my second MCF game and I liked it a lot.

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Sep 11, 10 9:13 PM
Me as well..I don't know about this game. I did play Ravenhearst up to Dire Grove....then I played Huntsville. 1 good thing: it was funny. Bad thing:I thought I was going to have a freaking heart attack trying to go through the levels with so short amount of time (Esp. the last level:4mins!). So , although I loved the rest of the games I won't be buying this one if it is similar to Huntsville and w/o a relaxed mode.
But that's up to you. Hope this helps fishes decide on this one.
Happy Gaming!

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Sep 20, 10 11:45 AM
lunachan wrote:Me as well..I don't know about this game. I did play Ravenhearst up to Dire Grove....then I played Huntsville. 1 good thing: it was funny. Bad thing:I thought I was going to have a freaking heart attack trying to go through the levels with so short amount of time (Esp. the last level:4mins!). So , although I loved the rest of the games I won't be buying this one if it is similar to Huntsville and w/o a relaxed mode.
But that's up to you. Hope this helps fishes decide on this one.
Happy Gaming!

I lunachan

This game is like Huntsville but you have more puzzle between the HOG scenes.

It's a very nice game, timed like Huntsville, but you could try it with the demo and decide after that if you want or don't want to buy it.

[Post New]by dtsugiko on Sep 26, 10 6:10 PM
I bought this one and Huntsville when they first came out and loved them both. It's not as difficult as the later MCF games as already noted. I do come back to this one and replay it. In fact I just got through playing it again. For me, it is well worth my money.

Duetgirl
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Duetgirl on Sep 21, 11 8:56 PM
Thought this game had funny characters. However, I really didn't like the timed aspect of it-- I prefer a 'relaxed' mode. The objects are VERY well drawn and hidden-- and if you look carefully you can find them. However, I thought a lot of the scenes were gross. The hospital really grossed me out. I almost deleted the game right then and there. The car dump and boat dump were yucky too. I finished the game bc I bought it, but I'm going to delete it. It's a good game if you just want to look for stuff-- personally I thoroughly enjoyed MCF Dire Grove & MCF 13th Skull. (some gross scenes in 13th skull too). Those you have to walk around and figure out things, as well as just play the HOGS. Have you ever tried the Midnight Mysteries, Treasure Seekers, or Christopher Columbus Ghost of the Mystery Stone? Those are all excellent Hogs too. Chris Columbus was the first I ever did, and boy did it get me hooked on Hogs! Have fun-- there's lots to choose from!

[Post New]by bigbands444 on Sep 27, 11 10:30 PM
I would definitely recommend buying this game. This is the first HOG I ever played (several years ago), and I was hooked at "hello." As soon as I finished PS I immediately went on to Huntsville.

Each search scene is unique and memorable. The collage art is complex and subtle. A great deal of talent, inspiration and thoughtful work went into the creation of these games. Both games also have the ingredient of HUMOR which seems to be sadly lacking in most of today's crop of HOGs.

This is a gem, a classic. Go for it.

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Nov 26, 11 2:41 PM
I have a question for someone...Is there a way to earn more hints?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 26, 11 3:27 PM
For those of us who started out with MCF Huntsville day one of HOG games, it was a total delight, went on to HE Titanic, then MCF Prime Suspects. The challenges were the timer and scant hints to try not to use. The 2 MCFs were full of HUMOR that got lost in further games. There were no other HOG games around so we played them over and over to beat our time (or try to finish). The black scenes with flashlight was innovative, replaying so many times honed our memory skills as memorizing where/what items were. Having to wait a year for the next issue they were the only games in town so we loved them, came back for more.

So, if one just started out with Madame Fate (which I never could finish end with the timer ) then the first ones would probably be most boring. But they honed our HOG skills, visual perception and kept playing lighthearted. From Ravenhearst forward themes got dark, eerie, morbid and twisted. And I guess there is a big market for those and the difficulty level kept rising til over the top for many.

Currently other devs are creating ways to make HOGs more interesting and fun with interaction, and puzzles not so boggling for the casual player, or sensitive to violence or gore. We all play for different reasons, and I still go back to Huntsville and Prime Suspects and wish MCF would have maintained the entertaining silly humor. For a collector I believe having all of them in order as they evolved (or devolved) is part of the historical perspective.

I quit after Dire Grove, bought 13 Skulls after totally lost in the beta with no guidance, still haven't resumed that piece of work. Probably not going to add MCF8, as I now want to play with games, not work at them for night after night. Just not entertaining. For some reason I've never tired of HOS as I see the artistic quality evolve and need the relaxation. Clicking every pixel on a scene hoping to hit something per chance on adventures bores me and makes for a carpal tunnel candidate. But that's just me at 75, I deserve some entertainment without pushed into more challenges. And where would be without introducing HOGs?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 26, 11 3:57 PM
Second thoughts re Prime Suspects. Remembering having to replay scenes to find those batteries for the flashlight LOL. That was a first and in about every HOG since. That last star puzzle was no walk in the park and filled forum pages for help.

There were no walkthroughs back then, you just replayed til you got it, and that was before timer options as those features evolved. Here's a TIP for the last HOG with 4 hints and 4 minutes. Retry to memorize a few easy objects, then after a few tries I was able to grab 4 then take the 4 hints the last minute. Oops now I'm questioning my memory, was that MCF PS or Huntsville? Perserverence either way.

These 2 are the most memorable graphics of any game I've played and used to see them in my sleep. Maybe because they took so long to finish, but the color and the very creative ways they knew the art of placement.

If you like the type silly humor in these try Mishap Accidental Haunting LOL. I wondered what happened to these original writers (and Unwell Mel for a M3), maybe they left to do Mishaps? Crazy silly writers hard to come by now.

Go to: