Game Reviews for The Fog

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for The Fog

[Post New]by Nilosh on Dec 9, 13 1:39 AM
Our story is not original but who cares, its dark and its a mystery and that is really what I need right now after a long stint with sugar-coated games. Now it GROWN-UP time folks so put the kids to bed and get ready for some creep time.

Finally, a game that is dark that will definitely be keeping me awake tonight. There are NO enchanting setting, NO cute animals and NO fairytale characters in this game. You have dark graphics, great opening scene by the way and really spooky background music with the occasional ambient sounds that will send shivers up your back.

Like I said, not an original story, child is missing, Mother finds her self caught up withwhat can be called a military experiment gone bad. Yes we have fog and we havd it so many times before, but who cares, at this point I will settle for anything fromthe dark side.

There are no bells and whistles to this game, no extra features and no bonuses. You have two modes of difficulty, one journal and a map that is totally useless. There is a mystery box that needs you to collect spare parts but I really dont know what it is for.

No SG to help you so you are basically on your own and let me tell you, I really welcom the challenge of just wandering thru a game and figuring things out for myself. HO scenes are dark and slightly junk-piled and there is minimal interactions. Mini-games are basic, what we have all seen before but I really enjoyed the adventure aspect of the game. Not much hand holding here and already I will be needing that walk-through .

It s been a while since we have seen something from these developers, yes the game is old-school, yes it is dark and yes we have seen many similar games with this theme but it is such a relief to just get down to basics with a touch of malice and a cool Sci-Fi story involving fog. A definite buy for me!

Edited on 12/09/2013 at 8:25:49 AM PST

Re:Game Reviews for The Fog

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 9, 13 3:10 AM
I agree, Nilosh. I played the demo of this yesterday from another site, and knew it had to be coming here soon. I read that some have had difficulty so I hit the Try button instead of going ahead and buying, and the game takes up where I left off, and I haven't experienced any problems, so am going to use a pcc to get it. There is a map that shows you where you need to go, but it doesn't allow you to jump, but the hints are good enough that I have been able to figure out what to do. I like a good mystery, without all the 'keep ya busy tasks" that so many have here lately, and this is one. Sometimes, I get tired of all the 'bells and whistles", and just want to play the game to solve the mystery

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 9, 13 8:24 AM
Oh no! It looks like we have two review threads this morning!

Since this one was posted first, this will be the one I'm stickying, but to those who posted in the other thread: please please please re-post your reviews here so we have everything in one place!

What do you think of The Fog? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the The Fog page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 9, 13 8:25 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 9, 13 11:47 AM
Well, an SE for a change. Don't know anything about this dev, they aren't familiar to me anyway. The graphics seem a little old school to say the least. They are clear and not badly done. Game play is nice, no problems. The inventory bar does not lock, which drives me nuts. There is a map, but it does not jump. It shows you where things can be done, but not exactly how to get there. There are no voice overs.

The music isn't too bad. There are no sound FX. This is a very quiet game, which makes it a bit boring. Does make an annoying ping when you find an object. The HOGS are quite simple and straight forward. Puzzles are very simple as well. There are no extras, no collectible, no bells or whistles...it's just a game. You visit the same location multiple times throughout the game, before you go on to a new one. It moves rather slowly. Hint system is helpful and fills at the usual rate.

Because there are no sound FX and no real dialoge, the story line is quite hard to follow, so you just seem to be moving through it without any real purpose. This game is not at all challenging, but isn't a bad game if you just want a no brainer. I believe it is geared more toward the "real" beginner than anyone else. I recommend for beginners only. Definitely not a game for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Dec 9, 13 12:11 PM

Not for the Faint Hearted

Fun Factor : Excellent

Visual/Sound Quality : Excellent

Level of Challenge : Excellent

Storyline :Excellent

Based on the demo.

This is an excellent dark, eerie, and creepy hidden object adventure. Warning: It is not for the faint hearted. In the 1st 2 scenes what appear to be a mother and child traveling in a beat up sedan, stop for lunch, get back on the road, and then have a wreck when a shadowy figure lays down a spike strip and causes their car to crash. When Mom comes to, the child is gone. Very creepily and expertly done.

The visuals are very realistic down to the last details. The soundtrack is ominous and lends more of a "creep" factor to the game.

Hidden object scenes were great. Some objects interactive, some used in the storyline, which is excellent. Mini games were okay, kept me busy.

This is a game of secret rooms, trap doors, safes, chests. I came upon tortured dolls and toys, creepy drawings, and letters describing a demon child.

The creep factor was in this one: dark, eerie, and creepy, just the way I like it.

I recommend this game!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 9, 13 12:58 PM
All Is Certainly Not Clear

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The intro was okay, no more. Once again we are seeing a low budget stand-alone standard edition game where you cannot expect to see all the fancy stuff. This game deserves a chance, because it is well made and intriguing.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS

While not quite what I call “20th Century Dumpster”, the locations are abandoned, rusty, dirty and dark. Everything. The graphics are good, nicely crisp and clear. The HOs are easier to see than a lot of fancier games. No voiceovers, but the music is pleasant and the ambient sounds are creepy ‘night in the forest’ sounds creating an eerie atmosphere . Which is further enhanced by the total lack of people or animals to interact with. This is one game where you really feel alone.

WARNING: If you don’t like graphic depictions of the uglier side of life, perhaps you should just skip this one altogether, while those who do like it can expect some ugly stuff but nothing in the league of “Escape From Ravenhearst”.

WHAT’S HAPPENING

That is still very much a mystery even an hour into the game. Someone is out to get you, and after the accident they caused, you wake up and your daughter is gone. In a strange abandoned house, you try to put the pieces together and sort out the connections between you and this place. Someone wanted you here, but who? And why?

MAKING PROGRESS

Plenty of HOPs in this one, but not so many as to become boring, I think, and are only visited once, so far anyway. The puzzles I remember are easy, and with only 2 levels of difficulty, this game may also not be of interest to expert players either. It has a map which shows roughly 40 locations, tells you where you are and where there are immediate actions to take, but it is not a jump map. There is a directional hint. Which I used way too much.

There's a neat little magic box you get to keep near the inventory bar that produces needed items. To get them you must first find an object that fits in one of the dioramas. It flashes when you have something to use there.

MY TAKE ON IT

The game’s adventure aspect is tough, and having to use the hint feature to get around is not my idea of a good time, so it seems this one may not for me. But it is much better quality than most stand-alone SE’s, and is a break from all the ‘sweet’ games for those who feel they need it!

I Recommend This Game!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 9, 13 1:29 PM
I was waiting for a while for this one. This team did a superior job in this game. I played the beta version of it and hated when it ended. In fact I thought this game would be a CE, not SE. It definitely had the makings for one. And this is another team who can make awesome CE's.

Story: After mom and daughter get into a car wreck after some jerk puts spikes down on the road, she comes to and finds her daughter is missing. She ends up at this house and finds that a military family used to live there and learns about the project the father was on called The Fog. Mom wants to learn more about this project and the military family. As you finally open the car doors up at the top of the stairs near the house you walk through what seems like a whole new world. And you see the damage The Fog is doing and the world split. And there your journey begins.

Graphics: Beautifully done and very very creepy. Made my skin crawl quite a bit. Almost like I was ready to jump out of my seat a few times.

Music: This team always had the perfect music for their games. They have an excellent music coordinator.

Hint System: Works in and out of the H0G scenes.

Mini Games: Not too hard or easy for me. Just right.

Map: Tried it. It's not a jump map, but it does have the yellow exclamation points to tell you where something needs to be done, where you are, and question marks of places you haven't been to yet.

I am totally looking forward to the rest of the game. I totally recommend it as well.

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Dec 9, 13 1:59 PM
I was so engrossed in the game, I was startled to be cut off at the end of the trial. Beautiful graphics, not too much hand holding, appropriate music (which I usually turn completely off), and a good mix of HOS and puzzles. The puzzles haven't been especially difficult but the ones I've done so far do require finding a lot of pieces before they can be done, which adds to the challenge. The only negative I found is the map, which is really difficult to follow and not jump-able. From some of the earlier reviews, I expected a dark, dreary game, but it isn't at all. Kinda spooky, but the scenes aren't dark at all. I recommend it.

ETA: After buying the game and playing for quite some time, it becomes quite dark, spooky, and eerie. Some of the HOS scenes are so dark I couldn't see the item even after using a hint. Lots and lots of wandering around looking for bits and pieces of things that need repairing. Very dark, very dreary overall.

Edited on 12/11/2013 at 11:33:12 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 9, 13 2:06 PM
Down the rabbit hole or through the looking glass into Wonderland and that wondrous, mysterious, and crazy world of government black ops - in this case, a program called "The Fog." "Someone" or "something" has blown out the tires of your car and deliberately wants you to "stick around" in a rather creepy, decrepit house. Probably won't know the "it" or "person" until the end of the game, but that mystery will keep it interesting. You find old pictures of a doctor and his family. Everyone was evacuated from this area except this family and the daughter was ill due to some unknown cause. The government program becomes the theme of this puzzle as you try to figure out what happened this family. And who is sabotaging your efforts in the house and why do they want you there?

Actually, I like this game, which is surprising because I usually detest SE games. It is a "dated" game and must have been in Alls A War's or BF's vault. It is very reminiscent of games we had in the past. There was a time where many of games offered had themes dealing with epidemics and hospitals. The graphics contained many derelict buildings and many of us complained about the ugly scenery of the games. And, yes, the scenes are of a rundown house.

However, that doesn't mean that this game is not worth playing! There are only two levels of play, but at least the advanced level gives you hints and allows you to skip puzzles and you do not have those dreaded "sparkles." The HOG scenes I have played are decent - there is some interaction in finding the objects. The "muzac" is mysterious and creepy and since there is no voice, you can turn it off and play something much more entertaining. Playing these games with different types of music can be an unique experience. On my screen, the graphics are best described as "fuzzy." Someone on the site has mentioned this is an adventure game. To me, this is a standard HOG game with many HOG scenes and a few puzzles. I cannot understand why they thought it was an adventure game.

Since I have many coupons, I will play this game. Christmas is usually slow for us in manufacturing, so I should have nights in which I can play a few more games from BF. Yeah!

Edited on 12/09/2013 at 2:17:30 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 9, 13 2:49 PM
Found this game to be fun and it's an SE.. Like that it has a map and hints reload fast. Story seems creepy and I like that. HOG's are fun and will be a game I want to finish. Give this 3 out of 5 stars..

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Dec 9, 13 9:41 PM
Average game but ending is poor.

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Dec 10, 13 1:06 AM
I just finished the demo and have gone off to purchase! I really like this game because I LOVE creepy storylines with spooky sound effects. Usually I like some character interaction but when it has a haunted theme then I like the feeling of being alone. It revs up the spook factor. I also look for games that have more adventuring than hidden objects, because I enjoy wandering around and stumbling upon things myself. And I like that the map isn't transportive. We've gotten too spoiled with jumping instantaneously to locations and people aren't learning how to enjoy the adventuring aspect of gaming. The "adventure" is what makes it immersive. For lovers of this kind of game like myself, enjoy the ride!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 10, 13 4:24 AM
Once I reinstalled, and had to start all over from scratch, the game played well for me. I found it eerie, a bit spooky, and the tasks were on target. Held my interest through the ending. I didn't use the map much as I was able to remember where what I needed was to be found, and there really wasn't a whole lot of tedious backtracking, which I often dislike. I did skip several of the puzzles as I just don't enjoy certain kinds, but did enjoy the others. Never have liked ones with numbers, or move one and several others move, too. All in all I found it satisfying, and I enjoyed it. If you like to solve mysteries this one feels more like one than many of the CEs.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 10, 13 11:50 AM
It's so refreshing to have a game for adults, with adult themes. Although the graphics can seem rough in spots, this is a good game with no bells, whistles, cute animals to dress, or unrealistically conceived villains ---- but is instead driven by a good story.
It's a buy for me.

[Post New]by julesmarie on Dec 10, 13 4:10 PM
I so agree with the ADULT game for a change, some of us game players do like a game that is not filled with little furry helpers, and flowers etc etc.

My upmost best game (that got me started with BF) was Escape from Ravenhearst, I loved it, waited and tried other games, but none came close. and after that such pretty little games, for BF gameplayers that are disturbed by such games should really not play them. please make more games for adults only. Thankyou

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 10, 13 4:42 PM

"The Fog" - is not to be "MIST"

Nice game. This game gets a 10 for the creep factor. Very minimalist - no voices, few sounds, just creepy music and surroundings. Even if you've played this type before, you will be impressed. Of course, if you don't like creepy games, your reaction may be different.

The hidden object scenes are interactive, and upon completion you get several objects. Many of the objects obtained are part of a collection (of 3 or four), and for a few it was not clear how many I still needed.

There is a lot of backtracking, many different scenes. Some of the actions were not quite logical, but nothing too strange. The opening cut scenes are well done, the drawing palette is somewhat faded and grainy - probably deliberately so for spooky effect.

The story is kind of thin on details, but this seemed to be a rare case where the game play is good enough to overcome whatever may be lacking in the story.

I did like the game and do recommend it.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 11, 13 4:08 AM
I was surprised how much fun this game was, I do hope we get more like this one in the future..Thx DEV's for this awesome game and thx for all your hard work and time..Keep up the good work..I like the game very much it was kinda creepy..Thx BF

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Dec 13, 13 12:35 PM
Great reviews, thanks!

I bought this game and am enjoying it for the most part. No fluffy bunnies, no puppies, no children with bows in their hair, no unicorns with rainbows coming out of their buttocks, No dancing candy canes, no conga line of singing butterflies. Very creepy, dark game with a great atmosphere.

I am annoyed as much as I am intrigued by the minimalist tone to this game. There's not a heck of a lot of instruction or noise to it, but this makes you think, and this is what I like.

Three pet peeves ...please Devs, be reading this.....don't know if anyone else feels this way:

The bell-ish sound that you get every time...every...time.....EVERY time you click on anything is making me crazy (crazier). I had to turn the sound off.

The map is utterly worthless. Lots to explore and areas are marked with icons showing where there is an available action, where you're finished, where you haven't accessed yet.
In order to see the map you have to pull up the journal, then click the tab for the map. It's not a jump map, the areas aren't marked with any text so you just have to remember what is what is where. Your current position is marked with two little feet. The feet are not in or on the area, which would make sense. The can be next to your area, on top of it, on the road by it or surrounded by 3 or 4 other active areas, too. Since it's not very specific I have no clue in heck where I'm to go or where I'm being shown I have to go most times..

The dock doesn't lock. Really, I'm getting car sick watching this thing pop up and down ad nauseum. You somtimes get several items in your dock at a time and have to find several of an item (4 blocks, etc) so are checking a lot, even if just to see the name of the items you received.

Nice game - great graphics and no sparkles!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 14, 13 6:34 PM
TRIED, notice I started with "tried" to play this game - unfortunately only 10 minutes into it, I got that same HOS that alot of the gamers were complaining about, and I too, can't pick up the picture the 2nd time around with the same HOS. First of all, why immediately have to go back to the same HOS??? What's with that? And I am too tired at this point in the holiday season, to uninstall, reinstall, pick another name, blah, blah, blah to only maybe have it work right. Sorry Devs, get the game right and I'll give it another try. Until then, I'll go back to my decorating!!

feenix

Go to: