bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Reviews for Awakening Kingdoms

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 11, 13 12:59 PM
Hey All!

What do you think of Awakening Kingdoms? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Awakening Kingdoms page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

Edited on 03/11/2017 at 2:22:48 PM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening Kingdoms

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 11, 13 1:00 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

lilrikku32
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,089 Posts

[Post New]by lilrikku32 on Dec 12, 13 8:38 AM
Not sure about the Game, I got 15 minutes into it and ran out of energy. There is a store but I couldn't buy anything, because everything was locked. I am guessing that this game is still in beta. So if the download was a 1 hour free trial,it wasn't worth my time to download and play. Maybe when the game comes out of Beta, I may purchase it. It looks promising though.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Dec 12, 13 9:06 AM

Edited on 12/12/2013 at 2:24:39 PM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Dec 12, 13 11:27 AM
If you don't mind Free-to-Play games, this is a good one.

It shows the aftermath of the Awakenings series. Your job is to rebuild the kingdom while the Queen is away taking care of some business. You play hidden object scenes to collect coins and building resources, as well as some other things.

There is an energy component, much like a Facebook game, so if you don't like that, then you won't like this game. I will say that I have not run out of energy so far while playing, because when you level up it fills your energy for free. It takes longer and longer to level up, though, the further you get in the game. You can either wait for your energy to refill or buy more with real money (I choose to wait), so this isn't a game you can sit down and play for hours.

The music is familiar from other Awakenings games. Graphics are pretty similar, too. There are also familiar characters from previous games as well.

You use resources you find in the game to improve the town and repair buildings. The Queen's castle is also available to rebuild and redecorate.

You can use gems (they cost real money, but you can get some for free by leveling up and completing certain achievements) to speed building up, or just wait.

All in all it's a nice game, especially for a free-to-play one, if you don't mind just being able to play in short spurts every now and then.

[Post New]by Alazne1370 on Dec 12, 13 11:52 AM
I do like games like this, and this seems like a fairly good one so far. The only thing I don't like is the forced social aspect. I don't want a quest that requires be to add a "friend" to a list. Sure that can be a secondary component, but it shouldn't be an actual quest.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Dec 12, 13 2:01 PM
This another game where you have to use cash to play it in a timely a matter. So this one is skip for me.

nan431
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by nan431 on Dec 12, 13 2:07 PM
won't even bother.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Dec 13, 13 4:02 AM
I've played about a half hour so far, entirely free with no issues.

Beautiful - music, scenery, cute critters, fantasy characters :-). I will be back to play more :-).

HHSan
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by HHSan on Dec 13, 13 10:28 AM
Similar premise as Antique Roadshow: American Dreamin, except in Fairy Tale mode. You are fixing up the Castle and upgrading the town. You have the quests, auction, collections, mini games and HO scenes, with sub scenes.

I loved Antique Roadshow, until the updates rendered the game unplayable for me. I was very frustrated and dissappointed. I hope BF has figured out a way to fix all of the glitches found in the Antique Roadshow version.

So far, I'm not having trouble with this one and am having fun. I love the little quests in the castle, very cute. The characters are adorable and I am enjoying the fairy tale theme. Keeping my fingers crossed that this game continues to play well.

Thanks BF, I'm a happy camper. Thumbs Up for me !!!!!

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Dec 13, 13 12:04 PM
I am enjoying this one. It plays like Antique Road Trip F2P but with the Awakening theme. Cute characters. A little bit chatty in the beginning but that lessens after a bit. You complete quests to earn money to buy upgrades, energy and decor.

This is a free game as long as you understand you are not going to be playing for a few hours straight. You can only play a few minutes at a time.

I am currently playing 9 different F2P and have only spent money on one of them. This one looks like it has enough quests and places to visit to keep busy for awhile. The graphics are nice and light.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Dec 13, 13 6:07 PM
" free to play" surely an oxymoron!

no interest here

caircair
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by caircair on Dec 13, 13 10:36 PM
Too complicated! I kept getting stuck on the Hidden Object level. Once I'd found the objects, it just sat there.

When I was finally able to get out, I ran out of energy and wasn't able to get more. Then I saw I have to BUY more.

No way, no how, not a chance. I just want a game I can figure out in 5 minutes or less, not one I'd have to devote my life and $$ to. This game is not worth it.

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Dec 14, 13 5:24 AM
Im loving this game, at the start I didnt think I would but as I went up the levels it started getting better, the quests are fun and there are some good mini games, hope it stays like this

ryouger
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Hidden Objects, Puzzles & Building ~ Oh my!

[Post New]by ryouger on Dec 14, 13 8:41 AM
Very nice graphics, soothing music, & a rather cute story-line. You get a cute "helper" bunny :-) You can add accessories to the bunny... for a price. I'm hoping future quests give special accessories for him that I don't have to spend resources on :-)

Mostly there are fairly easy hidden object games that get more complex as you level up. If you get stuck, your trusty rabbit-helper sends sparkly circles around the illusive item. The rabbit recharges in a fair amount of time. I also like the mini-games sprinkled throughout that I've played so far.

This Free-to-Play (F2P) is very nice as far as this genre goes. I find with F2P games, I do spend more resources when I'm really into the story-line, but if you play in small time-slots, you don't have to buy so much.

Like "Found," the other F2P game I've tried, the game begins slowly, allowing you to level to Lv3 fairly quickly while learning the game mechanics, Unlike "Found," I love this game allows you to scroll thru to see all your quests.

Some things are a little confusing at first, but as I play more (Lv6 now), new quests and areas open that allow things to clear up a little.

I do not like that some quests ask you to explore game mechanics then don't refund the gold you are forced to pay to complete the quest. I can understand paying to upgrade something or for turn-in style quests, but not charging to explore game components like the store. Example: quest says visit the Store & buy 1 energy potion. Fair enough, but 1 energy potion costs 500 gold & the quest reward is only 50 gold... Don't remember if I got experience for that quest but still, if the game is forcing me to spend my resources to understand game features, they could at least return the investment in my quest reward!

I was a little confused about the Friends aspect of the game. A quest appears telling you to add Friends, but it's not clear why you should add them. Do you share resources, get help from them with quests? Why is this feature here? Here again is a quest that makes you spend gold (send an in-game email to one of your friends), and it costs 40-some gold to send the email!

I like the game ~ it's cute. The music is nice and the graphics are very pretty. I'm curious how it will progress so I will continue to play in short spurts ~ I highly dislike paying real-life money for in-game items & XP. I'm hoping for patches that clear up some of the confusion and provide a little better "help" features.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 15, 13 12:59 AM
Alazne1370 wrote:I do like games like this, and this seems like a fairly good one so far. The only thing I don't like is the forced social aspect. I don't want a quest that requires be to add a "friend" to a list. Sure that can be a secondary component, but it shouldn't be an actual quest.

I think the reason they are "forcing" you to add a friend - and later on you are "forced" to write a message" - is so that newbies who are completely clueless about this type of game will know what to do IF they want to add friends or send messages. It's kind of a tutorial.

--- --- ---

This has become my absolutely favourite FTP game. BoomZap's "Antique Road Trip: American Dreamin" has always been my number one FTP game, but since yesterday "Awakening Kingdoms" has become my number 1 FTP game - with "Antique Road Trip" coming in at number 2.

The graphics in this game are really beautiful - anybody noticed those centaur walking about in the main first scene? And I love the HOS... they are really lovely to look at, and the objects are not as hard to find as in another FTP game I could mention.

Love everything about this game. This is truly a masterpiece FTP game - that's just my opinion, of course.

meinaz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
418 Posts

[Post New]by meinaz on Dec 15, 13 9:28 AM
I am a big fan of antique Road Trip American Dreaming and have all of the Awakenings game, so I knew I would like them game. I enjoy free to play games, so I knew what to expect. The hidden areas are interesting. There are lots of goals to accomplish. This isn't a game that you will be able to sit down and finish within a few days. I like that it has different mini games form American Dreaming, so it doesn't seem like just a Fairy tale version. I think that people that like these kinds of games will find that it is a well done version.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 17, 13 10:52 PM
This is an alright FTP. Seems like you can probably play a half hr. to an hour at a time. You need energy to play an HO scene, and you play the same few over and over, but more items get added into the scene or new areas within the scene open up. You get lots of different resources in each scene, if you need a certain type for a quest it will tell you which HO is the best for getting that resource. As you replay each scene new ways to play it open up, you start with word list, then picture gets added, now I've advanced to 'riddle'. As you advance more HO locations get added. When you're not doing HOs you can use your resources to build and upgrade buildings, this doesn't take energy. The buildings have mini games in them, jigsaws, swap tiles to make a picture, easy ones like that. You also use your resources to rebuild the Castle. There are also collections you can trade in for various things. This is a really good game for working people, you can use up your energy in the morning on some HO scenes, start work on some buildings, and when you get home again you will have new things to do. I think it was a great way to incorporate a Free 2 Play with an already established series, it keeps some money coming in while they make the next game and new people might try this and then buy the next game in the series when it comes out. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Good idea, BOOMZAP!

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 4:46:03 AM PST

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Dec 18, 13 12:12 AM
This series of games is one of my favorites and I have all of the previous ones in collector's editions. But this one--pay to play? BoomZap, I am deeply disappointed.

SantaBanana
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by SantaBanana on Dec 18, 13 12:57 AM
If you like this game series, then I strongly suggest you give this a try. It's complete nostalgia for the Awakening fan. It revisits locations from all the past games, with familiar characters, and the same gorgeous music and scenery. Sophia isn't even in this one -- you get to see the day-to-day lives of the citizens, and you feel like you're living in the kingdom.

I heard that Boomzap is continuing to develop the HOPA series which is completely separate from this one. You're not really missing out on Sophia's story if you don't play Kingdoms. But if you're an Awakening fan, at least give the developers a chance and try out what they made. It's a very pleasant distraction, and a relaxing way to bide your time while waiting for the next Awakening HOPA.

Pay to play? Not really. I see it as free-to-play for the first few levels, and then wait-to-play. And if you can't wait for energy to recharge, then you have the option to Pay-to-play-Immediately. But why rush? It's actually healthy that this type of game forces us to take breaks.

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 6:16:44 AM PST

Go to: