Reviews for Christmas Wonderland 4

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 13, 13 7:31 AM
Jingle All The Way!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Introductory scenes are not much – static, blurry, silent. The game itself is a familiar one to many, but I have never played one of this series. It is a pure unadulterated HOG. And if you are not a particular fan of HOPs, you probably wouldn’t like it, even for just a game that fits the season. There is no real story happening, just two kids experiencing an exciting Christmas.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are unexciting but adequate. They tend towards bright and shiny, as you’d expect. The HOPs are not overly detailed, and objects are sometimes too small for comfort. The music is disappointing – not really very xmas-y to me. There are no voices, all interaction between the two characters, such as it is, is by speech balloon.

MAKING PROGRESS
As a HOG, this one is pretty good, I thought. But the HOP locations are often outdoors and long-view, so that many items are seen at what appears to be a distance, and so are small and not easily recognisable. They are also crowded and junk filled, with tricks played with both size and colours. Some are quite difficult.

There is the usual standard list of 10-12 items, some of which are actually several instances of the same item (stars x4), and some are mildly interactive. There are bonus ‘presents’ of up to 3-4 silhouetted items that you can find. As well, there are nativity figurines in all the scenes for which you get more bonus points.

Points are based on these bonuses plus a no-hint bonus. and a completion bonus. Each location is awarded a bronze, silver or gold star. You can come back and replay each location, and there is a high scores list. Between each HOP scene is a puzzle. So far they have been jigsaws, spot-the-difference, and memory pairs,

LAST WORDS
It is Christmas, the grandkids will be needing some entertainment – this may be ideal. I doubt it would have much of an appeal if it did not have a holiday theme, but it would be fun for HOG fans.

Edited on 12/13/2013 at 8:29:37 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Reviews for Christmas Wonderland 4

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 13, 13 8:26 AM
Hey All!

Thanks for starting up the reviews thread JustTheFacts.

What do you think of Christmas Wonderland 4? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Christmas Wonderland 4 page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

Edited on 12/13/2013 at 8:27:50 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 13, 13 8:27 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Dec 13, 13 1:31 PM
I like all the Christmas Wonderland games. If you are looking for something easy, look away. The items are not easy to find. There are other items you have to look for as well - the Nativity Scene items are really small. And they don't tell you in each scene how many you have to find. You find that out afterwards when you miss some. There are also "gifts" which are in silhouette that you have to locate. In between, there are mini-puzzles which are good. Except for the "paint by number" Christmas tree - I was left with one crayon and no more numbers on the tree. I skipped it in the end - it was somewhere near the top but, no number. Oh well.

All in all, it's a fun game and a definite buy for me. By the time I finish this one, I'll be able to go back to the first three (I'll have forgotten them by then, lol).

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Dec 13, 13 2:23 PM
Casual Arts has given us another splendid family holiday game. I feel like I grew up with their games as I enjoyed watching their characters grow up as well. But now I'm teaching my kids the joy of hidden object games as they anticipate Christmas. (have the years really gone by so quickly?)

Every year they change something in the game and this year the extras are looking for Nativity items, (which are not easy to find) 'present' items (silhouettes in a present box), along with coins for donations and other fun things. The mini games include paint by numbers, find the differences, jigsaw puzzles, and match games.

As for point awards, points are awarded for finding items, finding all items without hints (Eagle eye), finding all Nativity items (Nativity bonus), as well as finding other bonus items and for solving mini-games. The replay ability is a really nice feature.

From those of us (young and otherwise) who have played and appreciated all of the Casual Arts seasoal games for the past several years, (and let's not forget Twisted: A Haunted Carol), thank you, Casual Arts, for continuing your devotion to families, to Christmas and to gaming.

Edited on 12/13/2013 at 4:09:24 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 13, 13 7:06 PM

Wonderland not just 4 children

This is the obligatory Christmas game offered up each year. As others have noted, it is not easy, both because the objects are small and well hidden, and the palette of (red and green) is fairly hard on the eyes.

There are a few fairly simple puzzles thrown in but you will have to concentrate hard most of the time.

The game definitely has charm, with the children watching a parade, shopping, even going online to shop. There are also scenes at the North Pole.

Each scene has nativity figures to find and a number of silhouette objects for extra points.

Not bad, but if you play with your kids, be prepared to do most of the work. Also playing for more than an hour could blind you.

[Post New]by madme1 on Dec 15, 13 3:06 PM
While I did enjoy playing this game, some items were very small and hard to see. The music was quite boring and some of the sound effects were...odd!
The pictures were all bright and shiny as you'd expect, but the interaction between the 2 children were in speech bubbles. Probably a good choice for younger ( than me!) players.
Just one thing I found annoying - it's a Christmas game and there were pictures of animals being given as gifts, dogs, kittens, rabbits etc. Speaking as a volunteer at an animal rescue expecting to be inundated with unwanted pets, PLEASE if you're buying this for younger children remind them that pets are a long term commitment and not just for a few days. Sorry to be a wet blanket but think it may be worth posting.
Anyway, enjoy playing and Merry Christmas.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Dec 25, 13 9:36 AM
This game was enjoyable. I look for relatively easy and fun in a game like this. I was not disappointed. I am a big jigsaw puzzled fan so this was what influenced me to buy the game after the trial.

Try the trial and see for yourself and have a very Merry Christmas.

Go to: