elaynemu
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Door in generator room

[Post New]by elaynemu on Dec 13, 13 5:42 PM
Does anyone have a clue about the puzzle on the door of the generator room? You are supposed to have every spoke add up to 8 but I can't get the last two because all I have left is a 4, -4, 0, 0. The instructions are so vague that it must not be as obvious as it seems. Help, please!

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

Re:Door in generator room

[Post New]by orphaned on Dec 13, 13 6:44 PM
dear elaynenu:

wish could be more helpful but am - alas - numerically challenged !!

a skip is available if that helps!!

hopefully someone with better skills will show up soon!

[Post New]by clouds_of_claire on Dec 14, 13 6:35 AM
I skipped this puzzle in the end but I can tell you that the spoke at the bottom of the screen where the instructions are has a minus label on it. I don't know if that helps or not but it is annoying that, that is hidden by the instructions

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Dec 14, 13 2:38 PM
I am in the process of doing this puzzle and like you have the
same numbers left over.
Even though I am mathematically challenged, even I know
this does not add up.
This will be the second puzzle I may have to skip.
The first was lining up the red and blue lines.
I had them lined up, but nothing happened.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

What am i missing?

[Post New]by bluesinew on Dec 14, 13 6:58 PM
I guess I am missing something...what seems like a fairly simple math puzzle has me stumped... either that or I am completely over-thinking it.... where is Sheldon Cooper when you need him.... anyone know the trick...

Sestra
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Sestra on Dec 15, 13 6:41 AM
Still working on this, so not absolutely sure I'm right, but I think 8 is the sum of one complete line. That is, from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, across the middle, from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock across the middle, and so on.

Also being numerically challenged, it may take me a while to prove or disprove my theory

Okay, so I can now complete the sum, arriving at plus eight on the + to + diodes and minus 8 on the - to - diodes, but nothing has happened

I give up, and will have to skip, which is something I hate doing

Edited on 12/15/2013 at 6:55:42 AM PST

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Dec 15, 13 7:16 AM
dear Sestra and clouds_of_claire:

a belated welcome to the forum!! for you both!!

and the new club for gamers: exercise - skipping!!!

now know what I really want for Christmas!!! a magic SOLVE button (with answers)!!

good news is that once done - can go back and noodle over these bratty little puzzles!!! like you, dislike having to leave a puzzle undone BUT dislike being stuck even more!!

enjoy the rest of this little beaut!!

and elaynemu:

a hearty welcome - quite belated - to you as well!!

happier gaming to all - and to all - good night!!

Sestra
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Sestra on Dec 16, 13 4:43 AM
Hi orphaned! Thanks for the welcome :-)

Still no closer to solving that d*mned puzzle, though :-(

[Post New]by centauri272 on Dec 17, 13 2:45 PM
I just didn't want to skip.... and finally solved it!

As Sestra said, you have to take the whole line (for example 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock...)

For the (+) diodes you have to get +8, and for the (-) diodes -8.

Hope it helps!

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Dec 17, 13 2:51 PM
dear centauri272:

wow!!!

shall re - enter and try again!! thank you sooooo much!!

and KUDOS!!! no exercise for you!! (skipping, that is!!)

ETA:

answer was in the stars (centauri stars that is!)

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 2:53:42 PM PST

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Dec 18, 13 3:08 PM
centauri272 wrote:I just didn't want to skip.... and finally solved it!

As Sestra said, you have to take the whole line (for example 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock...)

For the (+) diodes you have to get +8, and for the (-) diodes -8.

Hope it helps!

It didn't work for me... All my lines add up to either -8 or + 8 and nothing happens. I used a combination of + and - in each row to get the answer. It is impossible to get a -8 in one row using only minuses with only one -4. Not sure what I did wrong.

[Post New]by msjanuary1956 on Jan 4, 14 9:45 PM
I got the -8 by putting the smaller number over the larger one 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock for example would be -6 - (-7) = -1 - (-2) = -3 - (-5) = 8 the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock would be 0 - (-3) = -3 - (-1) = -4 - (-4) = -8 Not sure if this is the correct way, I haven't figured out the plus side to equal 8 I hope someone else can come up with something else. I don't want to skip but I am almost to that point

Jobo34
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by Jobo34 on Jan 13, 14 3:33 PM
thanks to all! I never would have figured that out!

Jobo34
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by Jobo34 on Jan 14, 14 9:47 AM
oops too quick on "thank you's!", It still doesn't work! but thanks for trying!

HerrFlick
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by HerrFlick on Jan 16, 14 12:58 PM
Don't know how I did it but the door opened suddenly. You have to get -8 in the rows with the minus bulbs and +8 in those with the + bulbs. At first it did'nt worked and I started switching the numbers keeping the right result and suddenly the door opened. The combination disappeared so fast that I could'nt note it, all I remember is that one line had the 2 zero's and -1 and -7. Hope this helps a bit.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Jan 18, 14 7:05 PM
**SPOILER**

Stop reading now if you want to figure this out on your own!

As stated before, the lines with the - add up to -8 and the lines with the + add up to +8.

Also, there are four numbers needed for each line, so they do go all the way from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, etc.

There is more than one solution, but I made one half of each line add up to +11 for a + line or -11 for a - line. Then make the other half of each line add up to -3 for a + line and +3 for a minus line. If you want to solve it from here, stop reading.

Otherwise...

The two + lines are:
+6, +5, -3, 0
+7, +4, -2, -1

The two - lines are:
-6, -5, +3, 0
-7, -4, +2, +1

(edited for a typo)

Edited on 01/18/2014 at 7:05:57 PM PST

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Feb 1, 14 6:16 PM
burf90 wrote:**SPOILER**

Stop reading now if you want to figure this out on your own!

As stated before, the lines with the - add up to -8 and the lines with the + add up to +8.

Also, there are four numbers needed for each line, so they do go all the way from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, etc.

There is more than one solution, but I made one half of each line add up to +11 for a + line or -11 for a - line. Then make the other half of each line add up to -3 for a + line and +3 for a minus line. If you want to solve it from here, stop reading.

Otherwise...

The two + lines are:
+6, +5, -3, 0
+7, +4, -2, -1

The two - lines are:
-6, -5, +3, 0
-7, -4, +2, +1

This really made sense... than I realized that my -3 -2 and 0 are static. So I couldn't get it to work for me. ... I've been trying to figure this out for months. I will keep trying..Tx

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 2, 14 10:05 AM
By static, you mean they are stuck where they are? I had this happen, too, for some reason, but as I moved other numbers around, they eventually "unstuck". This game had a lot of small glitches, but I was able to work around all of them eventually.

I don't remember if there's a reset button for the puzzle, but if there is, try that and then try moving the numbers that were stuck. If that doesn't work, try backing out of the puzzle, quitting the game and then uninstalling the game and reinstalling. Your saved game will still be there and you might be able to solve the puzzle then.

[Post New]by MadMadRian on Feb 10, 14 12:08 PM
Hey luvtoread, I had the same problem with the matching red and blue lines puzzle. It turns out there are two ways to line them up so after I lined them up once and nothing happened, I started fiddling and found the second way to line them up and then could continue with the game. So its not our fault! Its just kind of a glitchy puzzle.
Cheers

luvtoread wrote:I am in the process of doing this puzzle and like you have the
same numbers left over.
Even though I am mathematically challenged, even I know
this does not add up.
This will be the second puzzle I may have to skip.
The first was lining up the red and blue lines.
I had them lined up, but nothing happened.

Go to: