Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Botanica: Earthbound Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nilosh on Dec 14, 13 3:54 AM
What dismayed me were the graphics. Characters were too cartoonish and voiceovers again were a bit strained and over acted. There was a lack of animation and I just found it all very old-school. Nevertheless once I began to play, the game became more interesting and actually challenging as well. You have game features that include three game modes to choose from, a journal with objectives, clues and films, a map that not only includes actions but also allows you to travel, and your trusty botanical kit that will help you create and analyze ingredients.

Gameplay is mostly adventure with excellent HO scenes that are not only interactive but there were mini-games within scenes to solve. I found them both entertaining and not always easy to figure out. Mini-game instructions were a bit vague and I have to say that some Mini-games had me a bit stumped. You also have lots of puzzles and then there is that rather cute snail-like crab creature that helps you with cutting things.

Botanica has much to offer which also includes collectables and achievements to be earned but unfortunately the list of achievements are easy and mostly pertaining to actions taken within the game. Botanica offers an interesting storyline and also your very own botanical encyclopedia. Entertaining gameplay and a certain degree of challenge which makes this game a bargain especially as we have a sale on CE games today.

I realize that once again I seem to be unpopular with my grading of games, but I just wanted to let you know that for me, a five gold star rating means a game offers more that just sharp graphics, but really stunning animation scenes, high degree of technical innovations, amazing sounds and effects, entertaining gameplay with features that we have come to expect with CE games, and I really don’t mean wall papers or screen savers which I personally have no use for. I also want to be immersed into the story and enter a virtual world of adventure with characters that don’t look like paper cut outs. Botanica is good but hardly great and it just doest have that WOW factor. Regardless, I will take advantage of the sale today because I did enjoy the HO scenes. The story however just did not excite me nor did the overall look of the game.

Edited on 12/14/2013 at 8:17:48 AM PST

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for Botanica: Earthbound Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Hespera on Dec 14, 13 8:00 AM
Based on continuing play:

How refreshing! A beautifully done, graphically crisp game, filled with, beauty, imagination and lots of original puzzles and mini-games that require thinking. Small wonder why BoomZap is such a favorite, huh?

There's nothing cookie cutter about this offering. I don't care about 'animated' cut scenes that are a dime a dozen and so cliche and overused in games, often at the expense of a good storyline, or, more often, a good overall game, these days.

Even those who prefer less challenging puzzles will find comfort in the well-told story and the beauty of the artwork (there is the well done strategy guide and hints, if needed). As for voiceovers, I'm not a fan of [developers] using them anyway, because they all seem to fall flat, don't they, in one way or another? The main character never sounds like we think he/she should; the children never sound quite like children; the hunky guy never sounds like the hunk we had in mind, yada, yada.

One thing is for certain, with me, a BoomZap game means I always get hours and hours of enjoyment, playing on the hardest mode, which is something I don't get from other games (I've been playing for over 4 hours now and I'm nowhere close to finished), and I never get cutsey little helpers that I have to dress and feed, that talk me (and everything else that moves) to death.

And as for "entertaining gameplay with features that we have come to expect with CE games" I don't profess or project my expectations for games on anyone, or pretend to know what others like or dislike. I rate games on what I like and dislike on a one by one basis, because if one believes everyone likes things the same, (such as maps, journals, easy puzzles, etc.,) then one must believe that everyone plays games the same, and that is simply not true.

Thanks, Chris and BoomZap team, for another great game!

Edited on 12/14/2013 at 1:11:20 PM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 14, 13 8:15 AM
Hey All!

Thanks for starting the reviews thread Nilosh!

What do you think of Botanica: Earthbound Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Botanica: Earthbound Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

Edited on 12/14/2013 at 8:17:18 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 14, 13 8:16 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Dec 14, 13 9:01 AM
I liked the game until I got to the HOS/Puzzles. This is a no buy for me. Having to do puzzles to get through a hidden object scene is too much and is boring besides time consuming. It means I have to us the HINT button more often which I do not like to do. Too bad all devs are copying each other in putting these puzzles into the HOS. I know there are lots of people that do like a lot of puzzles in a game but I do not. Sorry.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 14, 13 12:47 PM
bpurdum2 wrote:I liked the game until I got to the HOS/Puzzles. This is a no buy for me. Having to do puzzles to get through a hidden object scene is too much and is boring besides time consuming. It means I have to us the HINT button more often which I do not like to do. Too bad all devs are copying each other in putting these puzzles into the HOS. I know there are lots of people that do like a lot of puzzles in a game but I do not. Sorry.

I agree with what bpurdum2 said above. I prefer HOGS/IHOGS to puzzles. If the puzzles offered are easy enough, I don't mind a few but I usually end up having to click the "skip" button in order to get on with the game. Even worse is requiring the player to do the puzzles before you can complete the hidden object scene. In my opinion that doesn't make the game appeal to me.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 14, 13 3:19 PM

Nilosh said:
"..a five gold star rating means a game offers more that just sharp graphics, but really stunning animation scenes, high degree of technical innovations, amazing sounds and effects, entertaining gameplay with features that we have come to expect with CE games, and I really don’t mean wall papers or screen savers which I personally have no use for. I also want to be immersed into the story and enter a virtual world of adventure with characters that don’t look like paper cut outs."

I totally agree, and I am not reluctant to not give a raving review. For one thing, it helps all of us to hear things from different perspectives, even if we may not agree.

Now, if a game doesn't have ALL those things, that doesn't mean it isn't a good game, but there has to be a standard otherwise it becomes meaningless.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 14, 13 6:19 PM
Once again, Boomzap has clearly shown why they are one our top devs,along with Elephant and Blue Tea. This game is the very opposite of the "same old, same old, cookie-cutter, grind it out" style that is too frequently offered today. Boomzap is surely one of those showing the way to new, refreshing, and innovative ideas. And, when they have new ideas, they don't incorporate them into the subsequent 10-15 games, but, instead, move on to something else. Always moving forward.

The graphics are fantastic, the colors are beautiful, and the mechanics are smooth as can be. Hints are handled nicely, and the puzzles are just excellent. They are challenging to a degree that is perfect for adults. No overly simplistic duh-type puzzles here.

Even the HOS require some thought, at first, because they are surprisingly different ---- quite interactive, very innovative, and great fun.

Basically, an excellent game with no precious little pets or other goofy, childish critters to tend to ( ), or listen to ( ) that relies on a solid story and entertaining game play that requires you to put on the old thinking cap from time to time as you explore this outstanding offer from Boomzap.

Thanks to all at Boomzap for continuing to provide fresh, new, and progressive games to us.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 14, 13 7:25 PM
Well, another game from Boomzap. Don't get new ones from them often. I have the first in this series and really enjoyed it. This one picks up where the first one left off (for those who don't know it, the first is Botanica: Into the Unknown). Poor Ian, he sure does have a lot of bad luck in this one.

Graphics are well done (I think most all devs are going to the cartoon like characters these days), game play is very good. Music isn't bad, but not a lot of it. Very few voice overs and sound FX as well (that's disappointing to me).

The HOGs are a bit different, in that you are also playing a game within the HOG. That was kind of fun. HOGs are pretty clean and you do have to work at finding items, because of the games. Puzzles are not difficult, but take some time and thought to complete. There is a jump map, which has each location clearly identified (thank you!, someone finally listened). You don't return to the same location as much as a lot of other games, but you do use it.

SG is standard. Hopefully we don't have to have to go back to the Table of Contents with each chapter, as I did when I read the general instructions...I really don't care for that at all. Should automatically take you to the next chapter. Hint system is very helpful and fills quite quickly. The only collectible I see so far, are the bugs. They are not hard to spot at all. There are other achievements as well.

This is not an extremely challenging game, but challenging and interesting enough for me to purchase the CE version. As hard as I try, I just can't seem to get away from these things, but I will keep trying. Need to cut back on the CE's. I think this game will appeal to all levels of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

smokey735
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by smokey735 on Dec 14, 13 9:05 PM
bpurdum2 wrote:I liked the game until I got to the HOS/Puzzles. This is a no buy for me. Having to do puzzles to get through a hidden object scene is too much and is boring besides time consuming. It means I have to us the HINT button more often which I do not like to do. Too bad all devs are copying each other in putting these puzzles into the HOS. I know there are lots of people that do like a lot of puzzles in a game but I do not. Sorry.

I agree with you. Besides I do not like Boom Zap games, they have too much puzzles and I do not like their style. So no buy for me, not even the SE.

Edited on 12/14/2013 at 9:13:24 PM PST

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Dec 16, 13 6:11 PM
So after almost a year and half, with no warning, we finally have the sequel to Botanica...

I wish I was more excited with the results, but unfortunately, I'm not. I tried the beta back in the spring of this year, and there are noticeable differences. Seems to me that a different team did the sequel, because otherwise I can't explain why did they did such a drastic change in the game.

Storywise, the characters are different, the villains, that is. In the first part, it was clear that it was power what motivated them (both Gustav and Kassandra wanted to control Earth when they went through the portal). The complete change of Kassandra wasn't believable to me, a power-hungry queen doesn't just change because she was injured (doubt it was the first time it happened to her). And Gustav, giving him the cliche of the family revenge...way overused. Then Ellie's original motive for coming to Botanica (finding her father and proving him right) seems to be discarded, as she decides to stay there.Better to have left the characters as they originally were, instead of this.

The graphics...I must say something about this. In the beta version, the graphics were of the same quality as the first Botanica. Furthermore, the plants actually looked like something from another planet, as opposed to the watered-down versions we got in the released version. I don't know why they decided to change the look of it; it was one of the trademarks of Botanica the sharpness and color of the graphics, and the species that were found. Here, we get things that are obviously from Earth, and even some that don't look like they were actually from a different planet. That is the most obvious thing in the visual aspect, the game doesn't look like it's Botanica, rather some stylized drawings put in the game, which you can pretty much tell where they came from.

Music was okay, seems they recycled a bit from the first Botanica. The game itself was a bit tedious at times, which never happened with the first one.

Given how the sequel ended, I doubt that this will turn into a series. Overall, the whole game looks like it was rushed; would have rather waited a bit more for a better result.

Not a disaster, but it's way, way below the standards of the first one.

P.S.
Should add that they changed something in the tablet used in the game as well. The journal part changed from text and images to just images. It isn't that helpful when you're trying to keep track of some things.

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 8:33:35 AM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 3, 14 11:58 PM
After demoing this game with low expectations after reading some of the reviews, I found myself pleasantly surprised by this game. I really enjoyed the HOPs that almost played like mini games. I also, for the most part, enjoyed the mini games. Sure some of them were not explained well, but I was able to work them all out without needing to skip any. In fact, I found some of them solved too easily just after a few random clicks. Most of them, however, were fun and engaging.

I especially enjoyed that this was a HOP that really played more like an adventure game, to which I am more partial.

Was it worth it as a CE, wellllll….that's a little iffier. It does include collectibles, which I always enjoy, but other than the SG, I'm not positive that the bonus game was worth the extra money. I will say this, I am glad I bought it and did enjoy playing the bonus game, but I probably would have been able to live without it.

By the way, I played on the middle mode and it took me about 5 hours 45 minutes for both main game and bonus combined. It includes a game timer! How cool is that!

I feel this is a hidden little gem, perhaps a little too easily overlooked by seasoned players. Give it a go, you might be surprised as well!

As a quick side note, I really appreciate the reviews here in the forum much more than the ones on the game page itself. I am at the point where I have stopped reading the game page reviews altogether. They make no sense to me! I have no idea what gauge folks use when assigning a star rating to a game. I read a review of a game where the reviewer said they did not like a game and would not be purchasing the CE and then they gave it a FOUR out of five stars!!!! What in the world is that about, I ask you???!!!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jan 15, 14 10:59 PM
Boy howdy what a great game !!!!!

I literally enjoyed the whole game, graphics, storyline, music, mini games and HOG scene's, jump map & had to refer to the guide a few times ...

I played in medium mode and took my time but alas, the game had to end sometime and it seems that the more enjoyable it is the shorter it seems to be....Actually the game and the epilog were a good length but I was really into it when it ended

Thank you-all great reviewers for your excellently worded reviews Because of you I got another great game and this one I happily give a full out of 5

genhunter
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by genhunter on Feb 17, 14 3:14 PM
The graphics...I must say something about this. In the beta version, the graphics were of the same quality as the first Botanica. Furthermore, the plants actually looked like something from another planet, as opposed to the watered-down versions we got in the released version. I don't know why they decided to change the look of it; it was one of the trademarks of Botanica the sharpness and color of the graphics, and the species that were found. Here, we get things that are obviously from Earth, and even some that don't look like they were actually from a different planet. That is the most obvious thing in the visual aspect, the game doesn't look like it's Botanica,

I agree with sea_maid here. The greatest thing about the original Botanica graphics was the creativity built into the environment. Sad that it was in the beta, but not in the release. I was *ecstatic* when the sequel came out, until I played the trial. What a let-down. And they have changed the villains' whole motivation, eh? That's a bit implausible....

I would gladly have paid CE prices, even more, for a real sequel. But with a game credit in hand, and after reading the reviews here, I'm thinking about using it on the SE, for the game play.

I just need to get it in my head that it is a 'different game' altogether, not a sequel to the original, visually fascinating Botanica. Then I might be able to have fun with it, rather than sigh about the short-comings, and enjoy the game play. We'll see....

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Apr 19, 14 7:00 PM
Loved this sequel. Colorful graphics, interesting story, fun mini-games, interactive hidden object scenes. The only thing is that it could have been a bit longer. Other than that, great game! A 7 out of 10!

Go to: