cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

AM I, THE MCF DETECTIVE, MALE OR FEMALE??

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Dec 14, 13 4:22 PM
Since you, the MCF detective, are never seen on screen, you can be either male or female. But there are a couple of moments where your gender is clearly indicated. At the end of Madame Fate (the original game), the Queen of England calls you and you answer the phone in a FEMALE voice. Then in Fate's Carnival, there is a bobblehead doll of the master detective (i.e. yourself) that you can collect. And the doll is clearly male, with a fedora, black coat, and a decidedly male voice. SO AM I MALE OR FEMALE? Curiosity is killing the cat here, I mean, tomcat/queen.

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

Re:AM I, THE MCF DETECTIVE, MALE OR FEMALE??

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Dec 14, 13 4:38 PM
More questioning moments:

The detective's arms that show at the end of Fate's Carnival look to be more feminine than masculine.

At the end of Dire Grove, during her presentation, Allison clearly states, " That person wishes to remain anonymous but I can give you his card.

I almost forgot this one: During Escape from Ravenhearst, the Master Detective has to go through a mock wedding ceremony with Charles.

It doesn't matter to me. I enjoy the games.

Edited on 12/14/2013 at 5:05:12 PM PST

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Dec 15, 13 4:55 PM
Thanks for the extra info. Also, in Fate's Carnival, the detective says to herself at one point, something to the effect of "(something) has beauty and strength, just like me."

I've always assumed the detective was female. Madame Fate's ending confirmed it for me. It seems fitting that it follows the same tradition of Jessica Thatcher, Nancy Drew, and others in a long line of female detectives. But then, as you said, the last few games seem to have contradicting info.

Edited on 12/15/2013 at 5:00:42 PM PST

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Dec 15, 13 6:36 PM
cwy2009 wrote:I've always assumed the detective was female. Madame Fate's ending confirmed it for me. It seems fitting that it follows the same tradition of Jessica Thatcher, Nancy Drew, and others in a long line of female detectives. But then, as you said, the last few games seem to have contradicting info.

Maybe BF has purposely tried to alternate between the genders from one game to the next so that all of us can be master detectives! They probably don't think that we keep track, but I think it's a smart way to include everyone and I really don't care that it's not the same male/female across all the adventures.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Dec 16, 13 12:08 AM
I don't really care I just want to enjoy the game.
If I want to, I imagine myself the detective....If I don't, I assign a sex I want or go with hey, the detective is from an androgynous race of beings.....and I am just there as a spectator peering in from an alternate universe as an astral traveler.

The main thing is.....keep the games coming, and let them be good!

[Post New]by ScillyGirl5 on Dec 16, 13 9:50 AM
Here's an idea: Why not be able to chose, just like we chose level of difficulty?

I am female, I tend not to buy games where I need to assume a role as male, the reason for that is simple ~I can't identify with it...

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Dec 16, 13 11:55 AM
I am male. If I chose not to play games based on a female character, then I would have missed a lot of great games. I choose the games that I play for the story & puzzles not the gender of the main character. There have been, however, a few when the story was a little too feminine for me.

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Dec 17, 13 7:56 AM
The MCF master detective's name is Pat, maybe that will help.

AndrewB179
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by AndrewB179 on Dec 17, 13 11:43 AM
ganonsbane wrote:More questioning moments:

The detective's arms that show at the end of Fate's Carnival look to be more feminine than masculine.

At the end of Dire Grove, during her presentation, Allison clearly states, " That person wishes to remain anonymous but I can give you his card.

I almost forgot this one: During Escape from Ravenhearst, the Master Detective has to go through a mock wedding ceremony with Charles.

It doesn't matter to me. I enjoy the games.

Actually, she says "but I can give you their business card".

Personally, I have no problem with the Master Detective being a woman. (Don't remember finding the MD bobblehead, anyway.) I think of myself more as her partner than as being her.

(For example, my first reaction to the scene where the acrobats are, shall we say, removed as obstacles, was "Holy crap! Did we just kill those guys?!" *lol*)

ajtho1
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by ajtho1 on Dec 17, 13 7:12 PM
The arms at the end are, to me, gender neutral. They do not have long fingernails but neither are they particularly masculine.

The bobblehead is, as far as I am concerned, quite clearly gender neutral and intended to be so. Plenty of women wear fedoras and trench coats, so the fact that the Master Detective wears these is not evidence that the MD is male. Both of these seem to have been deliberately used to obscure both the face and body features of the Master Detective, in a way that preserves neutrality of gender.

References to Isis' mistress are clearly intended to mean Madame Fate, not the Master Detective.

I think that the developers of these games have intentionally made sure that the Master Detective could be either male or female, because in the end, it's not at all relevant to any of the stories.

iPuppy
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by iPuppy on Dec 17, 13 7:18 PM
The ending to Madame Fate and the creepy wedding in Escape from Ravenhearst had me thinking MD is female.

Unless Charles's fixation on MD ignored gender.

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 5:12:07 PM PST

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Dec 18, 13 9:32 AM
ajtho1 wrote:The bobblehead is, as far as I am concerned, quite clearly gender neutral and intended to be so. Plenty of women wear fedoras and trench coats, so the fact that the Master Detective wears these is not evidence that the MD is male. Both of these seem to have been deliberately used to obscure both the face and body features of the Master Detective, in a way that preserves neutrality of gender.

But the voice of the bobblehead is clearly male, no? "AHhahahahaha...." That laugh is too low and deep to be female.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Dec 19, 13 3:09 AM
cwy2009 wrote:
ajtho1 wrote:The bobblehead is, as far as I am concerned, quite clearly gender neutral and intended to be so. Plenty of women wear fedoras and trench coats, so the fact that the Master Detective wears these is not evidence that the MD is male. Both of these seem to have been deliberately used to obscure both the face and body features of the Master Detective, in a way that preserves neutrality of gender.

But the voice of the bobblehead is clearly male, no? "AHhahahahaha...." That laugh is too low and deep to be female.

Hi there Cwy.
Plenty of women have very low voices....even low, hoarse voices, and they don't even need to be smokers, just as many men have light tenor type voices.

I am still convinced of the androgeny of the Detective, mannish clothing, voice and all...could still be a woman or a man. It does not bother me to play as either as it seems to bother some people, but I LOVE AndrewB179's suggestion that he always imagines himself the partner of the Detective...and partner or friend or relation works for me in just about every game when I don't feel inclined to be the protagonist.

I did something similar in a very good game that was clearly developed with teenage girls in mind. Even after I turned the sound off, I was STILL reading about fashionistas and blooming, monstrously HUGE TRUE LOVE FOREVER AND EVER prostestations. That time, to get through the game, I had to be a "tolerantly loving relative or friend" in order to save myself from too much gagging and eye-rolling...but I would not have missed the game and it's puzzles for anything after playing the demo.

I have come a along, long way from the cynic and Nihilist I once was, but I had to do some serious attitude adjustment....which is also what I do when an animal, fairy or sprite helper gets too cloying sweet for more tolerant me to take.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 24, 13 1:56 PM
The master detective is definitely female. There have been clues along the way. Charles wanting to marry her is quite a big one though there have been others.

Edited on 12/24/2013 at 1:56:51 PM PST

rerich
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by rerich on Dec 24, 13 2:07 PM
I usually prefer an androgenous character. I do not insist on it, but I prefer gender to be irrelevant.

I think that the Master Dectective is female. I think this because of the phone voice at the end Madame Fate and the fake wedding. I wish it did not do that. The creepiest thing about Escape was that 'marriage' to Charles. Charles is bad enough, but that also makes you Victor's stepmother. ugh!

The game Mortlake Mansion does let you choose the gender. Although I am female I wind up playing that one male because the woman character voice is very irritating to me.

I would really rather not have to dodge virtual sexual assault by Charles, Victor, or Alister.

I also wish that they would let the Master Dectective act like it. Loosing Alister from the crystal ball was only the last of the really dumb things done. Not figuring out to avoid the family in 13th skull being one and nearly loosing the Ice Maiden in Dire Grove another.

Dalimarfangirl
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Dalimarfangirl on Dec 27, 13 8:34 PM
iPuppy wrote:The ending to Madame Fate and the creepy wedding in Escape from Ravenhearst had me thinking MD is female.

Unless Charles's fixation on MD ignored gender.

that kind of what i assumed, Charles is so desperate and pathetic i doubt such details would be of importance to him

education69
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by education69 on Dec 29, 13 5:09 PM
I told you, the Master Detective's name is Pat, now why hasn't that settled the gender question.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jan 21, 14 11:38 AM
education69 wrote:I told you, the Master Detective's name is Pat, now why hasn't that settled the gender question.

I had a good laugh at this education69. Very good.

ganonsbane
Catfish
Catfish
1,595 Posts

[Post New]by ganonsbane on Jul 4, 14 3:02 PM
Someone at BFG read this thread. I got a chance to Beta Test the next MCF game & you have the option to choose whether the Detective is Male or Female. The Demo was great. I can hardly wait until Thanksgiving for the CE to be released

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 8, 14 8:13 PM
At the end of Dire Grove it is clearly stated that she will you give you "THEIR" card - not "his" card. I know because I replayed that game very recently (it is one of my absolute favorites) and actually went back to check. So the gender remains unclear. Remember that in "Escape from Ravenhearst" there is an attempted marriage with the Master Detective and that opens a whole new can of worms but it indicates that the detective is female. Also, I do believe our Master Detective refers to him-her-itself as beautiful. How many men do that?

Yet there is that bobble-head doll that definitely looks masculine even with the face covered - those hips are very narrow.

But to make it simple, as the detective is a Master Detective it should be obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that she must be female.

I am sorry to find out that one can choose the gender of the detective in the next MCF game. I hope there will not be voiceovers in that game. I think that might ruin it for me. I don't mind being given the opportunity to pick the gender of the detective but a voice can ruin everything. I mean, look at what happens when you read a book in the first person and then see a movie and the voice is completely different from what you created in your mind as you read the book. What if I pick a female detective (and I would) and she turns out to have a twangy high-pitched annoying voice? Or what if I pick a male detective (as if) and he turns out to speak in falsetto? Or a grumbly drawl? I know of one series of games that always has the same female detective and I cannot stand it - she is supposed to be saving people yet she speaks as cheerfully as if she is on a picnic.

It is taking a real chance to screw with a character that has been present and loved for several games. The last MCF game was panned and rightfully so. I hope it does not happen again over something like a voice.

Maybe I can turn the voice off or something.

Edited on 08/09/2014 at 10:23:25 AM PST

Go to: