Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

Game reviews for Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind

[Post New]by Nilosh on Dec 17, 13 3:15 AM
Move aside Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe, a new private detective is in town and his name is Alex Hunter. A great detective story with excellent artwork, sharp graphics, very well done voice-overs and music that sets the pace for this Standard HOPA game that will thrill fans of the pulp fiction era. As a fan of some of the great American popular literature I read from Chandler, Hammet and Dashiell, this game offers an authentic atmosphere of that time.

I love the art direction and the details of that era are so well presented. From what I understand, the game is originally designed as a CE but thanks to our friends at BFG, we get it as a SE, and the best part is that there are collectables, achievements and a SG as well. Fantastic!

Our story begins as we take on the role of the great detective and what you thought was merely a case of the missing professor soon turns into something much nastier.

There are two play modes to choose from and game features include an interactive map that indicates tasks and allows for travel, a journal and a SG that works as a pictorial walkthrough. A well put together HOPA, with tasks and inventory items to pick up, puzzles to so?ve, standard Hidden Object scenes that are slightly interactive and mini-games that vary in style; nothing we haven’t seen before but some are interesting and even time-consuming which is right up my alley.

From what I can tell from the SG, it is a long game with a bonus section and as I said, you have to collect hidden symbols along the way and depending on what mode you play, you need to complete them in order to gain access to the bonus section. I really like the gameplay, intricate at times and some of the puzzles were not so easy. The story does get interesting and I really enjoyed the over-all atmosphere created by the dark graphics, 2D characters and the lingo used in the game. Definitely worth the time and effort!

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 8:38:06 AM PST

bfgWendwater
1,773 Posts

Re:Game reviews for Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 17, 13 8:37 AM
Hey All!

Thanks Nilosh, for getting the reviews thread started!

What do you think of Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
1,773 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 17, 13 8:37 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Dec 17, 13 8:40 AM
I really enjoyed the demo and will definitely be purchasing this game. And as an added bonus a SG is included along with the great story, graphics and music. Thanks to the developers...another winner.

dancemom1
Clownfish
Clownfish
803 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 17, 13 1:00 PM
When I saw this game, I figured it would be the usual "not up to par" SE's we have been used to lately (when we get them). I was wrong. Graphics and game play were very nice. Colors very bright and clean. I really like the time period of this game and so far, everything seems to fit the scenery. Music was a bit monotonous, so turned it down. Voice overs and animation were well done, and the sound FX were nice.

HOGs were not difficult, as long as you can see in the dark. They were a little too dark in some areas. Puzzles were the usual and not really hard to figure out. There are collectibles...you need to find 25 symbols, which are not difficult to see. You just have to remember to look for them.

There is a jump map, but I didn't use it during the demo. The SG is set up a little differently. You need to click on the picture of the scene you are in to read the SG instructions. Didn't care for that at all...too much clicking. Inventory bar does not lock in place, so it jumps up and down constantly, and wiggles back and forth when you run your cursor across it (very annoying).

The story line is nothing new, and I don't know what it is about this game, but I found it interesting and fun. This is not the usual SE, there are extras, e.g. the strategy guide and the collectibles. I find the need to use a punch credit and get this one today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
637 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 17, 13 3:07 PM
Guess what, Watson? It's elementary that from all the evidence presented we have a great game by All's A War. Being a mystery buff and having just attended a Murder Mystery Weekend recently, this game is really up my detective solving alley. If you like the game "Clue," you will like this game. It requires you to use all your detective skills to solve the case. This game will not appeal to everyone (especially if you like fairy dust, pixies or cute little animals to dress or collect), but to me at least, it is a great game.

You are the detective Alex Hunter helping a professor's daughter locate her father who has disappeared. First, the game is a little dated, but no matter, it is still a great game. It is a period piece, set in England in the 1930's I believe, but could also be the late 1920's as well. This period witnessed many great murder mysteries in literature and in cinema. The graphics of the game truly depict this era. It is a little like an Art Deco piece. There are only two levels of play, but at least the expert level still allows you to skip puzzles. There are still those dreaded "sparkles," but it really doesn't interfere with the enjoyment of the game. The "muzac" is mysterious as well, but you can play without it. The HOG scenes are interactive and easy., The artwork is exceptional and typical of this dev. The game flows very smoothly and is not terribly difficult to play.

For an SE, it is one of the best we have had this year. The story keeps you engaged. It is so cool to be able to use one of the coupons I have to purchase this game. A very nice Yuletide present from BF. This is another Agatha Christie sleuth award winner!

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 3:08:42 PM PST

Pliri
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Pliri on Dec 17, 13 6:00 PM
I honestly don't get the "great graphics" comments, which I see for many games I think the graphics are mediocre at best. I am posting my review because I never seem to agree with the reviewers. Anyone else out there?

I think, as for many of the games, the graphics are way too dark. I happen to be a fan of the fantasy style artwork. It is beautiful and easy to see. It seems I'm in the minority, but maybe others are not commenting either.

I find this the usual click on something ... oh, need a key or something else ... then try to go find it somewhere. HOs are not my thing, nor are the many puzzles, except for jigsaw type puzzles and a few others.

So, bottom line, this is the usual story, graphics too dark, and even the map is deary, dreary, dreary.

Not a buy for me ....

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,673 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 17, 13 7:11 PM
Thank you Sportygal, and Merry Christmas for you !!!

M.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 18, 13 5:50 AM
Exceptional Stand-Alone SE Game
BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
At first, with no intro before the main menu, I thought this game was going to be another not-quite good-enough SE. But in extras alone, this is a good value game, and even without them, would have received 3 stars from me. Set in the 40s (?) era of the old classic gumshoe stories, with a little steam punk thrown in, it is surprisingly atmospheric, has a promising story, and no major down side.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The graphics are okay. You’re not going to be wowed by them, but they are clear, and although it is a story that tends toward dark, it is not overused. HOPs are very clear, if not in loving detail. There are a fair number of cut-scenes, and they are about the same quality. There seems to be very little animation, until you start messing around clicking interesting bits and pieces, which sets some of them in motion.

The voiceovers are well done and, perhaps more importantly, well used. There is an attempt at an approximation of lip synch, which I thought worked well. The sound effects and background are competent. The music is quite interesting, changes frequently, and is not at all intrusive.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
If there is one thing that goes against this game, it is that the story moves too slowly. You are hired by a young lady to find her father, and so far the only thing we have learned about him is that he is a genius on the workings of the human mind (and as puzzle-crazy as all these lost profs are), and received an invitation recently to visit another expert with the view to working together.

MAKING PROGRESS
This is more a puzzle/lite adventure game than it is a HOPA. There are 2 HOPs in the demo, each visited twice, but there are oodles of mini-puzzles (none original, some uncommon, none difficult – so far!) and inventory items to find and use. The HOPs are interactive lists, with a close-up in each scene. All objects are clearly visible and the interactions make sense.

There is 2 modes of difficulty, a directional hint, an interactive jump map, excellent journal – and, wait for it! – an in-game walkthrough!

The game also boasts: bonus chapter, wallpapers, achievements, collectibles (where higher difficulty mode requires more of them to release the other extras - cool!) 2 other yet-to-be-revealed gallery items, and a secret room!!

I recommend this game!

calsmom2001
Catfish
Catfish
1,746 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Dec 18, 13 5:45 PM
OK, since the demise of CCC I have rarely posted here, but this game requires me to do so.

This is a GREAT game! Everything about this hit on just the right level for me - graphics, puzzle, storyline, achievements, collectibles - and all this for 6.99 or a PCC! I couldn't buy this fast enough, and I've been enjoying it for two days now, with more to come.

If you've been looking for a way to use a PCC, this game is it!

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Dec 21, 13 8:33 AM
calsmom2001 wrote:OK, since the demise of CCC I have rarely posted here, but this game requires me to do so.

This is a GREAT game! Everything about this hit on just the right level for me - graphics, puzzle, storyline, achievements, collectibles - and all this for 6.99 or a PCC! I couldn't buy this fast enough, and I've been enjoying it for two days now, with more to come.

If you've been looking for a way to use a PCC, this game is it!

Well done BF/****/Epic Star. What a brilliant game. I hav'nt enjoyed a game so much in a long time ( and that includes CE's as well), and a bonus chapter in an SE game + secret room.
Hope we get another game from these developers soon. Will watch out for this Epic Star.

Edited on 12/21/2013 at 8:35:17 AM PST

exact
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Dec 22, 13 1:51 PM
This is definitely one of the most brilliant games brought out my BFG developers. It takes you from mansions to cabins to oceans and submarines. The graphics were all real. The games tricky and will be playing this game again to see if I can figure some out where I had to use the skip. Thank you BFG for a weekend of fun. Sorry to have finished the game. Like reading a good book.

Based on demo.

[Post New]by Zhidosha on Dec 28, 13 7:25 AM
A very nice game. Especially considering that this is SE. Good detective story. I like the fact that the game is not a desert. It has a lot of characters (at least in the demo).
By the way, I don't quite understand why developers use "magnifier" instead "forward arrow".

Susanna2
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Dec 29, 13 2:41 AM
What a delightful game. Well worth the price, I love the graphics, nice HOGs, a good storyline. It could have been an CE with no doubt - thanks to the Devs!
If only more "normal games" were like this!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,896 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 2, 14 7:37 PM
Just perfect! Now we know what a SE game can look like. Built in strategy guide, collectibles, IHOS, great story, great graphics, and so much more. I am thoroughly enjoying this game and if you have a free game credit, spend it on this one!
Thank you developers for a great game. It's good enough to buy without a freebie!!

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 10, 14 9:26 PM
Wow! I am rather impressed with this game. The length is fantastic! There is even a bonus game or second game I should say. Almost 2 full games in one. I enjoyed it very much! Very much worth 6.99. No problems at all & very good graphics! I recommend this for sure!

layzeedaisy
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Jan 15, 14 12:51 PM
Finished the game and I'm well impressed.

An SE with Extras AND a Bonus Room AND Collectibles. While I don't understand how this is a mere SE, I sure wish there were more like them.

Although there was nothing particularly exceptional about the game, this is definitely a superb "money's-worth" buy.

Interesting hidden objects, pleasant puzzles, good voiceovers, great jump map, and all with hours and hours of game play.

babsvb1948
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by babsvb1948 on Jan 16, 14 12:53 PM
This is a very good game, but the best is that you have a guide to help you and it's not a CE game. Most SE games you have to quit the game, then go to the forum to find the walkthrough. This one has it on the bottom of the screen. I purchased this game after playing 20 min. Knew it was going to be long and fun. The Hidden Object are fun, you really have to search, which is the whole point of being called "hidden". The mini games are great, make you think, but not too very hard to accomplish. Again, if you get stuck, the solution is at the bottom of the screen. I give this game 5 stars.

jcsgame
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,158 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Feb 4, 14 11:02 AM
This is a wonderful and exceptional game.

This game rivals CE games.

It may not have the Wallpapers and morphing objects, but it has a built in Guide, Collectible Symbols (25 casual and 35 expert), Extra Game Play, and a Secret Room.

It also has a very interesting Mystery Story and extremely long game play.

The Mini Games are very well done and will make you use your grey cells.

Hidden Object portions of the game have both available and hidden objects with great clarity. There are a few areas, unfortunately where it is really dark and you cannot see the object you're looking for.

I wish there were more games like this.

[Post New]by goodyear1998 on Feb 17, 14 4:01 PM
what a bargain of a game....as someone who cant afford CE's this was a real treat.
all in all a fantastic game.
to be honest I nearly missed this one. so glad I trawled around the BF site and found this game...had a credit and was looking for a game .
There has been a real dearth of good games recently...all seem the same old same old......but this one was just great.
what a treat this game was..
thanks to the developers.

Go to: