Cisdaman
Minnow
Minnow
241 Posts

Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Cisdaman on Dec 17, 13 8:19 AM
Okay, are they SERIOUSLY starting to ask us to spend gold bars to do the Christmas quests?? I have to draw the line here because this game robs me of enough of my gold bars as it is. I'll have 50 gold bars and then I'll go to a city, come back and suddenly have 30 bars with no explanation! Now the game wants me to buy gold to do the quests just so it can steal them away on two fronts?!

Okay, first I will give Customer Support HUGE kudos for taking care of the bars the game has already stolen from me. However, I will be (past tense of expletive here) before I put myself in a situation for the game to steal more from me.

And OBVIOUSLY the Christmas collectibles are NOT going to show up fast enough to be able to charge and use that gold for quests. I'm assuming you only have 24 hours per quest like Thanksgiving here. So this is extremely close to the end of the line for me and this game. I'm hanging on by a thread to see what happens with the collectibles but I do not have high hopes at this point.

Too bad... I loved this game but I'm about at the end of my patience.

 
Burmcat
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Burmcat on Dec 17, 13 10:19 AM
Yes, but in the case of the sherbet, you got to keep the sherbet. In this case, you were asked to spend 4 gold bars, only to be required to essentially give them back without receiving anything. At the same time it seems that we will never be able to benefit from the special collections since they are not available.

I agree with Cisdaman. This is outrageous. They may call it a "free to play game", but I have spent money on it. In fact, I am too embarrassed to say how much. I feel like a complete moron at this point.

Bah Humbug!

 
Cisdaman
Minnow
Minnow
241 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Cisdaman on Dec 17, 13 10:31 AM
Burmcat wrote:Yes, but in the case of the sherbet, you got to keep the sherbet. In this case, you were asked to spend 4 gold bars, only to be required to essentially give them back without receiving anything. At the same time it seems that we will never be able to benefit from the special collections since they are not available.

I agree with Cisdaman. This is outrageous. They may call it a "free to play game", but I have spent money on it. In fact, I am too embarrassed to say how much. I feel like a complete moron at this point.

Bah Humbug!


Thanks Burmcat, its nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I do agree that the sherbet quest from early on set our expectations for possibly having to spend gold occasionally. However, that was when the game was not taking my gold via "glitches". Really, its the fact that my gold vanishes from time to time that gripes me about quests requiring gold to complete.

I have just enough gold bars left to buy the bread because I had to use my Thanksgiving gold as soon as I got it for fear of losing it. That's really my main problem here.

 
jey12345
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by jey12345 on Dec 17, 13 10:41 AM
Oh, ffs. It was FOUR gold bars. You don't have to spend money to get 4 bars, just play the game for a while, earn some achievements, level up a few times.

 
Cisdaman
Minnow
Minnow
241 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Cisdaman on Dec 17, 13 11:28 AM
jey12345 wrote:Oh, ffs. It was FOUR gold bars. You don't have to spend money to get 4 bars, just play the game for a while, earn some achievements, level up a few times.


Oh, I'm sorry... Did I neglect to mention I'm level 70 and there are NO ACHIEVEMENTS left for me to earn outside of future updates. So no, there is NO other way for me to earn gold outside of paying for it or waiting for the Christmas collectible to be fully available. So it may not make a difference to you but to those of us who have maxed everything out... Yeah, it can be a BIG deal.

 
Burmcat
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Burmcat on Dec 17, 13 11:38 AM
For me it is not even a question of how many gold bars. It is the fact that they have clearly chosen greed as their holiday message. It appears that a great deal of thought has gone into how to keep us giving to them without anything in return. If they had only put as much time and energy into fixing the "bugs" in the game we would all be happy campers. As I said in another thread, I am beginning to believe that they are not even "bugs" since they are 100% in the developers favor. Have you ever received a reward that you did not earn?

And no, I can't earn any more gold because they are not counting my trophies earned in the two new locations and that is the only achievement currently obtainable for which the reward is gold.

 
jey12345
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by jey12345 on Dec 17, 13 11:54 AM
Are you guys not able to earn gold by leveling up? Granted, it's not as fast, but it is still an option. You aren't required to pay real money in this game, EVER. That's a choice, depending on how much time you want to spend playing it and how you plan ahead for special events like this one.

I'm sorry... While I agree that there are some things about this game that are annoying and frustrating, saying something like "HOW DARE the developers of the game attempt to make some money off of their creation?!" is pretty ridiculous. If you are getting that stressed out about a quest requirement, perhaps another hobby is in order?

 
Burmcat
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Burmcat on Dec 17, 13 12:05 PM
Obviously you are not paying attention Jey. They have already made a good deal of money off of me. I get that it is a profit deal. Spending money was my choice (and a very bad one at that), but in exchange, I expected them to continue to add to and IMPROVE the game, not spend their time figuring how to up the ante.

Again, no. I am not able to level up because I am not willing to spend my remaining resources to keep playing the same things over and over again. At this point it seems more prudent to save up until the developers decide to fix the glitches and add new content to the game.

You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, but so am I and nothing you say at this point is going to change the one I currently hold.

 

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by MichieSays on Dec 17, 13 12:15 PM
To those saying 'just play till you level up'...Do you have any idea how long some of us at higher levels would have to play to get to that point? And by 'play' I mean repeat the same scenes we have played to the point of being past sick of them again and again and again and again and again.

Sorry. Would rather chalk this game up to history and move on.

 
eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by eli173 on Dec 17, 13 12:46 PM
MichieSays wrote:Sorry. Would rather chalk this game up to history and move on.


I agree. I think that anyone who has played so called free to play games knows that they are usually full of glitches, use various indirect ways to get your money and may leave you waiting for new content indefinitely (of course there are differences between specific games, but usually it's only a matter of degree). In other words, they are basically unreliable. Despite this fact, we all seem to invest a disproportionate amount of time or money (or both) on such games. When we get to the point of being frustrated most of the time, we should indeed move on and come back if and when things improve.

 
Cisdaman
Minnow
Minnow
241 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Cisdaman on Dec 17, 13 1:06 PM
MichieSays wrote:To those saying 'just play till you level up'...Do you have any idea how long some of us at higher levels would have to play to get to that point? And by 'play' I mean repeat the same scenes we have played to the point of being past sick of them again and again and again and again and again.

Sorry. Would rather chalk this game up to history and move on.


A wonderful point MichieSays! For those of you who are not at high levels, let me explain how it works. My last level required over 80,000 XP plus to obtain so even using only West Virginia (the city that gives the most xp), that requires close to 35 trips. Ok, so the energy required went down but this still requires over 73,000 energy units for me to gain a level. Now, lets assume that someone only has 3,000 energy units max... This means it will take over 24 refills of energy (at 3 minutes per point regained), which will take roughly HALF OF 1 YEAR if my math is right.

Sure, food items will help it go much quicker, but the money will run out eventually as you go through all your hundreds of each resource to earn the money for food. Also, some of us have not spent money on this game and some of us have but that is totally up to the individual and should remain so. A person should be able to play a FREE game without spending money and should still be able to play for more than 20 minutes a day if they want to.

After all, lets face it... It doesn't take me even an hour to burn through 3,000 energy points so why should it take 9,000 minutes (AKA 150 hours) to regain the same amount of energy?

 
jey12345
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by jey12345 on Dec 17, 13 1:53 PM
How is that different than any other (pay) game out there? You pay some money, you play all the levels, and you're done. Maybe you play all the levels again, and then get bored with it, because you certainly don't want to keep replaying the levels over and over and over (although admittedly, I do exactly that with a few of my favs.) So then you go find a new game and buy it and do that whole scenario over again.

What is it about a FTP game that makes you think that you should be entertained indefinitely without any additional investment???

Gotta say, I'm just a little amused by the level of stress being put out on this thread. Even with all the bugs in this game, I think it's pretty fun. (And I haven't spent ONE CENT.) There will come a day when I'm bored with it, and I will move on. No reason to get pissed off about that, it's just how it is with games.

 
Burmcat
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Burmcat on Dec 17, 13 2:51 PM
Yes, you're right that it is amusing, but again you are missing the point Jey. Your viewpoint is based on NOT having spent one red cent. It is easy to be sanguine about the glitches and lack of new content when you made that admittedly correct decision.

However, let's face it, you are not the player they are looking for. Those of us who are (or were), the players they are looking for are trying to convey to Boom Zap and Big Fish that they have pushed it too far. We have that right. If the developers don't care and are willing to rely on new suckers dropping by without reading the forum, then so be it.

Let me put my point in a nutshell. I will not be spending "one red cent" on this game or any other so called "free to play" game in the future. In fact I will not even open or look at any new games developed by Boom Zap because how the game begins apparently has nothing to do with how it will proceed. As far as I am concerned I bought the right to hold and express this view.

 

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by nikkiann78 on Dec 17, 13 2:53 PM
Burmcat wrote:Yes, but in the case of the sherbet, you got to keep the sherbet. In this case, you were asked to spend 4 gold bars, only to be required to essentially give them back without receiving anything. At the same time it seems that we will never be able to benefit from the special collections since they are not available.

I agree with Cisdaman. This is outrageous. They may call it a "free to play game", but I have spent money on it. In fact, I am too embarrassed to say how much. I feel like a complete moron at this point.

Bah Humbug!


I just did this one with the bread. I went to the boy, closed out the quest and got the reward. I just went back in, and the bread is still in my inventory. Not sure why, but happy it is!

 
jey12345
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by jey12345 on Dec 17, 13 2:56 PM
I got to keep the bread as well.

 
evetruth
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by evetruth on Dec 17, 13 3:04 PM
nikkiann78 wrote:
Burmcat wrote:Yes, but in the case of the sherbet, you got to keep the sherbet. In this case, you were asked to spend 4 gold bars, only to be required to essentially give them back without receiving anything. At the same time it seems that we will never be able to benefit from the special collections since they are not available.

I agree with Cisdaman. This is outrageous. They may call it a "free to play game", but I have spent money on it. In fact, I am too embarrassed to say how much. I feel like a complete moron at this point.

Bah Humbug!


I just did this one with the bread. I went to the boy, closed out the quest and got the reward. I just went back in, and the bread is still in my inventory. Not sure why, but happy it is!

 
eli173
Manatee
Manatee
3,645 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by eli173 on Dec 17, 13 5:12 PM
Hi jey12345,

I think you are right and wrong at the same time. You are right in that the company is out there to make money, and this is perfectly reasonable. However, there are substantial differences between regular and free to play games:

Regular games usually have a low price, which everyone pays. When you buy a regular game, you more or less know what you get. If a regular game has glitches, you get your money back without much fuss. And if the game proves to be a flop, you don't have much of a problem because your investment was a small one.

Free to play games have an inherent element of uncertainty because they are essentially a work in progress, and they are more prone to glitches. Free to play games indirectly encourage addictive spending through a combination of delaying the player's progress and promising more and better stuff to come (alternating between withholding and giving). Glitches also cause more spending because they usually eat up resources. Because of the above, the customer sees the FTP game as a longer term investment than a regular game (more will come, the glitches will be fixed, etc).Some people are more vulnerable than others because of their character or their particular circumstances, or simply because they are inexperienced.Those players are the ones who end up paying high amounts of money, to which there is no upper limit. They actually finance the further development of the game, so that others can play for free and (in some cases) brag about it and/or endlessly complain about the game's shortcomings. With FTP games, if your game presents serious problems, you might get your money back after long discussions with the seller, and as a special one-time favor only, because they have a no refund policy for FTP games, since purchasing gold or whatever was only optional, after all! Some FTP games deliver an acceptable amount of goods while others don't, in which case the ones who paid feel cheated.

So, there is a difference, at least in my opinion. However, as I pointed out in my previous post, whoever is constantly frustrated should stop complaining, try to minimize their losses, find something else and lighten up!

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 5:18:57 PM PST


 
Burmcat
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Burmcat on Dec 17, 13 8:54 PM
Very well said eli. I have to plead inexperience, but I am a fast learner and, while I still defend my right to post my displeasure, I will not make the same mistakes again.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 18, 13 12:25 AM
I see that in this latest update, Mr. Wobbleton, the new pet (penguin) is now available for... wait for it... 50 GOLD BARS !!

I have 50 gold bars, but I know a hundred better ways to spend those. I don't want a penguin pet anyway.

 

Re:Christmas Quests have the AUDACITY to ask us to spend gold bars?!

[Post New]by ScotEmpress on Dec 18, 13 5:21 AM
I'm beginning to suspect that the reason for the gold "sale" was because we will not be able to complete the Christmas collections without buying some of the collectibles.

 
 
 
 
Go to: