Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 20, 13 1:07 AM
Most Arduous Game Yet!

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

This is the 10th game of the Mystery Case Files (MCF) series, perhaps the most beloved, and definitely the most controversial of all series released on Big Fish. It is nothing less than overpowering, astonishing, awesome, unbelievable – pick your hyperbole. It is also the most difficult and complex HOPA game I’ve ever played. And the longest by far! I can’t say how long, but it took me several sittings over a few days to complete it, as opposed to my usual game-in-one-sitting.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS

Marvellous. Gaudy carnival atmosphere some of the time, gross and scary at others. The graphics are as good as any out there, and there are delightful cameo appearances of other MCF characters and items to look out for. The music is very reminiscent of earlier games, including the actual MCF theme. Background sound is wonderful – very creepy carnival.

WHAT’S HAPPENING

The carnival is cursed. Madame Fate is in trouble again, and who’s that? Is that Dalimar?! You have 15 doomed carnies to save and another complicated ominous and supernatural mystery to solve. If you’ve not played Madame Fate or the other MCF games, there is much in the form of casual allusions that you’ll not notice, but the story itself stands alone.

GAMEPLAY HIGHLIGHTS

Over and above the usual kinds of HOPs and puzzles, this game has the SUPERPUZZLES. These are puzzle boards, seen before in this series, but unbelievably colourful inventive involving - and impossible. I ended up skipping at least part of most of them, despite the innovation of a in-puzzle hint which guides you step by step, if necessary. They are a series of interconnected mini-puzzles that completed in the right order solve the major one and reward you with an item. Even in the easy mode, the skip is twice as long as it is for all other puzzles.

Another unique feature is the BLACK DIARY. As well as providing key information, it is sometimes necessary to solve puzzles within its pages in order to find that information. There is also ISIS the cat. She is beautiful, but way too haughty to be called cute.

to be cont'd

Edited on 12/20/2013 at 10:55:08 AM PST

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 20, 13 1:10 AM
Most Arduous Game Yet!

BASED ON DEMO

Cont'd

GAMEPLAY HIGHLIGHTS

Other assistance is provided by a very well done interactive jump map, and a teleporting hint system. Both definitely needed, as there is a lot of toing and froing, and as I mentioned, a heck of a lot to do!

The regular puzzles and HOPs are clever, and very much into the atmosphere of not just any carnival, but as awesomely creepy one. They are also a fair bit more difficult than usual. The HOPs are interactive lists for the most part, with some twists.

FINAL COMMENTS

This is an overwhelming game, and when it comes to delivering those, nobody does it better than Elephant. I am always a little miffed when a game site’s own productions get the awards, but in this case, if they win Game of the Year, and I think it might, it will be well deserved.

Even if I’m still lost. *forlorn stare*

I recommend this game!

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on Dec 20, 13 5:30 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE!!! I bought the CE when it came out and I still have not finished the game! And I play at least 2 hours every day!! And many more on weekends! And I haven't even gotten to the bonus game! Incredible game!!

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 20, 13 11:01 AM
Hey All!

What do you think of Mystery Case Files®: Fate's Carnival? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Mystery Case Files®: Fate's Carnival page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 20, 13 11:01 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by baglady159 on Dec 20, 13 12:57 PM
I don't write reviews but I do want to say that this game gets my vote for the "best game of the year". It is probably also the longest game I've ever played. But if you are trying to decide whether to get the SE or the CE, this is the one time I would recommend that you get the CE (and I never buy CE's anymore )

This game is full of so much to do: lots of puzzles and HO's...some are a little difficult and I used the hint or the strategy guide, but that didn't even deter me. My favorite of all things? The many door puzzles, similar to but better than, the original Madam Fate's doors. Best part of the game IMO...I got excited every time I came to one.

Almost forgot to mention...I never (hardly ever) go into the diary or black books or whatever you want to call them, but this time you have to. There are a few puzzles in the diary that you have to solve to continue on with the game so don't forget these.

The bonus game is extremely long and very satisfying. And if that wasn't enough, there is also a Secret Room you can access after you've finished the bonus game. All in all, the best game I've played all year.

I highly recommend this game...especially the CE version. Well worth the money.

Edited on 12/20/2013 at 1:00:16 PM PST

[Post New]by isuckatgames on Dec 20, 13 12:58 PM
Awesome game.Enjoyed every minute of it.

judithannegg
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by judithannegg on Dec 21, 13 3:59 AM
And I'm still playing CE version! Just saw a "Flock of Seagulls"!!! Anyone my age remember group from the 80's? Sooo funny! This game has to be the very best game ever! Not of the year, but ever!!!! When will it end? I hope never, but it will, but this is soooo much fun! I like all the funny stuff going on. I wish a developer would come up with a funny game. We have all done the horror stuff for so many times. Remember Leisure Suit Larry? That was funny. OK, I am a church secretary, so maybe it doesn't have to be that "scandalous" but something funny (maybe a tad risqué!) or heart warming is my wish for Christmas! (But not, not childish!!!!)

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Dec 21, 13 12:35 PM
Looks like I am in the minority here. Madame Fate was and will probably ALWAYS be my favorite hog. So this one was a major disappointment. MF introduced one interesting character at a time and had word games, numerous HOs with them and then the junkpile of HOs. Interspersed by one of their fun quirky puzzle games. This one is just a lot of 'too-ing and fro-ing' with little logic. No good little word games or puzzles and no multiple HOs of same item. I'm saddened by this as I had
so looked forward to this one. I will wait until it is a DD.

dogmichael
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by dogmichael on Jan 2, 14 2:47 PM
Base on the goo review, I have purchased the game and love it but I doubt that why it is developed by Elephant. I thought that all Mystery Case Files games are developed directly by Big Fish. Can anybody answer my question?

Thank

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 2, 14 5:41 PM
dogmichael wrote:Base on the goo review, I have purchased the game and love it but I doubt that why it is developed by Elephant. I thought that all Mystery Case Files games are developed directly by Big Fish. Can anybody answer my question?

Thank
Big Fish has been turning over several of their games for development by other companies. MCF Fate's Carnival was indeed developed by Elephant.

[Post New]by littleguppy2 on Jan 4, 14 1:38 PM
I did purchase the CE of Fate's Carnival and have managed to play in the Alister's Mode a couple of times... and I wonder... like in the 13th Skull, there were other things to find... like the special cards. Is there anything hidden in this game that I haven't discovered yet? Just wondering.. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good game, but not as good as previous games that were directly produced by Big Fish Studios. I hope their venture for the next game (which I know where they are going) is more like the past games, with real actors and dialogue. Fate's Carnival was a little too cartoony.

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 4, 14 6:51 PM
Hi littleguppy2! If you did indeed purchase the Collector's Edition you should have been looking for morphing bobbleheads and old pounds as well as the secret cards. You can find more info on the CE forum page. Copy and paste the URL below to get there:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/3620.page

There are also other types of extras in the extras menu of the game. You can also see more info in the Strategy Guide and the walkthrough.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Jan 10, 14 5:55 AM
Just finished playing and, wow, what a long game. I have been a big fan of MCF but I think this was the longest SE version of any.

I was continually amazed by the complexity of the game play, even in Easy mode. The graphics are impressive, the puzzles interesting, and the hidden object scenes were occasionally quite challenging. Loads of places to visit and all very well done.

Those are all the good points and it is a truly splendid game. If you like hours of brainbox work then this is for you.

However, for me, I got so heartily sick of all the back and forth, to and fro, that I finished the game with a huge sigh of relief. Half way through I got so bored I just used the jump map to teleport from place to place and to find out what to do next.

It's not a relax, sit back, and enjoy game. I probably won't be buying the next MCF if this is what they are going to be like.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jan 12, 14 6:18 PM
Wow...I don't know what to say except this is probably one of the most difficult games I have played so far. It took me over 6 hours (I stopped counting at that point!) to play. I played on the 'swallow hard' level, which allowed me to skip puzzles if I wanted to, but I think I only skipped 3 mini-games altogether. This game had mini-games that had step-by-step parts to it that you had to figure out before you could advance...those were SO hard!! There wasn't a lot of logic to them and you had to click on a lot of the pieces before you happened to find something to get you started. The graphics were great, the hidden object scenes were very well done, and like I said before, it was a very long game...well worth the money spent. It had 14 chapters, if that gives you any indication of the length. The interactive map allowed you to jump from place to place, which saves a lot of time. I think this is one of the best game they have come out with in a long time. Because I love a real challenge, and because it was a very long game, I give it a 10 out of a 10.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Jan 16, 14 6:22 PM
I have to agree that this is one of the longest games of this type that I have ever played! Three days of real effort, and it just kept going and going and going...

I was thrilled to see the very complex puzzles I grew to love in Ravenhurst - and I'm not ashamed to admit I needed plenty of help from the handy hint button! Even with the hand-holding, you feel like a real genius once you've gotten through one of those monsters. I felt there was a huge variety of puzzles and tasks so nothing ever became tiresome, even after several hours of play.

I didn't discover until near the end that there were more puzzles within the journal, so it didn't mess me up (noticeably at least) as far as progressing in the game without solving them. Seemed like a bonus to me.

Hearing that there is even more in the CE is making me seriously consider upgrading - when I have a full week of undistracted time (hahahaha) to devote, of course! As it is, I'll need to play this SE a few more times just to see what I might have missed the first time around.

If this isn't the game of the CENTURY - I don't know what would qualify. This game has EVERYTHING!!!

Bravo to Elephant and BFG - 10 stars and every digit straight up!!!!

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jan 21, 14 4:43 AM
I hated this game along with 13th Skull. I love the original games with much less hand holding to get through them.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 24, 14 8:39 AM
Very much enjoyed this one. Wish I were rich enough to buy CE! Love the "door" puzzles - disagree with people who said they seemed random - there was sense to be made of them but had to sit and think through everything on the screen. Managed them without hints...eventually! Think I spent about 12 hours on the game, all told. That makes it a real bargain!

Except for the posted complaint about the electron microscope, I enjoyed and didn't have to skip any of the other puzzles, and I really liked the way the journal got some puzzles in it - excellent notion.

Definitely, the game was in the developer's style - Elephant has become one of the very best in a fairly short time...

It is quite a difficult game if you play without hints. A nice tough game is welcome in this house, sometimes! Thank you!

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Jan 27, 14 2:41 PM
OMG!! I agree, this is ONE OF THE BEST SE games (or CE for that matter) that I've ever played. I hold everything up to "MCF Return to Ravenhearst" and this one is really right up there. The games and HOGs were not so hard (though a couple were), but the "Rube Goldberg" type were just too much fun! They allowed me to click away at my heart's content and then, suddenly, I would click on something that worked and then one thing would lead to another... So often, when I finally got something to work, I wondered at my stupidity that it took me so long to figure out. They are sooooooo fun!!! I LOVED THIS GAME--and its really long--would recommend it. Five fishes from me--not that you'd take my word on it!! : )

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 14, 14 3:45 AM
Are they kidding? Five minutes to skip a puzzle on the easiest level? Horrible. None of this made sense. I hate it.

Go to: