bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Reviews for The Great Gatsby: Secret Treasure

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 26, 13 1:46 PM
Hey All!

Thanks JustTheFacts for starting up the reviews thread HERE!

What do you think of The Great Gatsby: Secret Treasure? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the The Great Gatsby: Secret Treasure page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Great Gatsby: Secret Treasure

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 26, 13 1:46 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 26, 13 2:32 PM

Nearly, but not quite, Great

Anything associated with The Great Gatsby attracts my interest (except the last movie) and this was no exception. In the opening cut scene, there is an "homage" to Dr. T.J Eckleburg from the novel. That was cool. And the story mentions other characters from the novel like Nick, Daisy and Wolfsheim (perhaps more as you progress since it seems intent on telling the love story of the novel as well as the mystery story within the game).

The mystery story is, Where is Gatsby's treasure? You have to find it to save the life of your friend Amy, who was mysteriously kidnapped by person unknown in order to force you (an architect assigned to restore the mansion) to locate the treasure. OK, it is not the "greatest" story (pun!) but if you are into Gatsby, the atmosphere of the game is good enough to continue playing.

There are quite a few hidden object scenes and they are a higher difficulty than we usually see, and fewer mini-games, which are fairly easy. Since you are in a dilapidated old mansion and grounds, the scenes are dark and cluttered which adds to the difficulty, but not unfairly so (in my opinion). There is also an adventure game-like feel as it is not always clear where to go, what to do, and this requires some exploration.

There are many sound effects which, while realistic, seemed over the top at times, a little too much creaking, squeaking and clattering for my taste. Also there are a lot of locked doors (as expected), but WHY OH WHY do we have to also click ON the keys to turn them? Annoying.

Voice overs were just OK, I thought the main character Judy, and the voice of Daisy's daughter were seemingly done by the same person - which could pass if not for the fact that they were having a conversation with each other.

The mouse cursor was very sensitive to clicking in the exact spot necessary. Many times I was using the correct object in the correct scene but apparently was not clicking in the correct spot for the desired action.

There is a brief lag at times when traveling between scenes, just long enough to notice but not long enough to be annoying.

Having said all that, I liked the game and will probably purchase, despite the flaws.

If you are not into Gatsby, this game will not seem that great (pun again!) but if you are, I recommend it.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to all.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 26, 13 3:27 PM
Well, I really wanted this game, until I tried it out. I was very disappointed. First, no one can do Gatsby like Redford...sorry. I liked the story, book and movie, but this moved very slowly. Graphics were okay, color is a bit muted like it was set in the "old" days (I liked that). Game play was choppy and like I said, very slow.

Music was okay, sound FX good, except for the sound you got when you found an item...extremely annoying. HOGs were very simple and some items were in very dark places. Games were very simple.

I believe this game is geared more toward the beginner than anyone else. I was really hoping for another really nice SE before the year was over...still hoping. I seldom do not recommend a game, but this one needed more than one plus in order for me to recommend or buy. No buy today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

shanyem
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shanyem on Jan 2, 14 10:08 AM
I was quite surprised that I enjoyed this game! I am NOT a 'Gatsby' fan (hated the book in high school, hated the Redford movie and refused to see the newer version as I also cannot stand DeCaprio). I tried the game just because I wanted to be fair. I will NOT review the story - bores the reader (we already READ the story line when considering purchasing/trying the game so don't waste my time!!!). While yes, the voice overs are lame - I don't care, I ignore them anyway. I music was fine - not noticeable actually as I can't remember any tune! I'm into the actual game play and this game is an adventure with some HO thrown in. So as I said - it was my type of game and I bought it. I liked the map feature and the interface. The screens were clear, HO not too jumbled/hard to see (I have a pretty large screen and sit close anyway). I also enjoyed that fact that you had to actually THINK once in a while (not too hard) to decide where to go next. This was a big plus for me. The MAIN problem with the game is the glitches in the system that I have and KEEP having. Several of us have found that we are UNABLE to continue playing the game as we cannot find ONE item (unable to click on it) and therefore cannot proceed. We are waiting (2 days at this writing) to hear from BF as the usual fixes of uninstall/reinstall, etc doesn't work for this. Do I recommend this game? Well, yes and no. If it WORKED I'd say a big YES. Unfortunately since there is NO fix in sight at this point (as of 1/2/14 1pm), I'd say do NOT waste your money until you know there is a fix OR you can take a chance and hope you don't have the problem I and others do. Good Luck!!

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Mar 8, 14 11:38 AM
deleted the game, could have been okay except the hint and key on the side hid some of the objects, was too jerky between scences. waste of money! not for me.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Mar 25, 14 12:50 PM
Could have enjoyed this game but will save for another day. Map shows areas of interest but is not transportable. After a hard day's work, I don't want to run around all over the place.

Go to: