bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 27, 13 12:29 AM
Race to uncover an ancient secret in Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers! The night started out like any other. A local collector was complaining about paranormal activity in her mansion, and the authorities called you to get to the bottom of things. But it turns out that the pit of bizarre activity was bottomless. Now you find yourself lost in a living nightmare brimming with strange creatures, comatose colleagues, and mysterious tentacles reaching out around every corner! Can you find the source of the happenings and destroy it before it's too late? Find out in this thrilling Hidden Object adventure game!

Re:Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 27, 13 1:21 AM
Dr Blackmore’s Nightmare

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game was a little disappointing, as previous games in this series have all been excellently creepy and unrelieved tension. This one tries too hard to be all things to all players. There is still the general grossness of Dr Blackmore, our insane tentacled foe. And the nerve racking jumping in and out at you in his flying computer incarnation.

But there are also a lot of pretty colourful and some are downright cute animals, most are useful, but they are insane! These do not persist in past the first chapters, but it is an awkward match. The signature Haunted Halls electronic creepery doesn’t sit well with lovable animals, burgeoning plants and flowers, and beautiful colour. The story hangs together very loosely, but it is outside the norm and offers interesting twists plus a surprisingly good finish. One that has tied up most of the loose ends... but still allows for the possibility of a sequel.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Now that you are the renowned expert on all things peculiar, the FBI comes to you about an interesting case. A scientist is experiencing paranormal activity. What we find there is seriously weird. Flamingos with split personality disorder, a narcissistic magpie, all loony tunes.

PROGRESSING
An easy game to follow with fun puzzles and HOPs. There are more puzzles, but each HOP is visited twice. They are silhouettes and interactive lists, and I think I remember a multiple HO or two as well. You can switch to a Match 3 game for the list HOPs but not the others.The Notebook also holds the map, which is annoying, particularly if you are trying to remember which room led to where. The hint system is directional and refills quickly on lowest difficulty.

There is a game-specific recurring mini-game in this one. Using special glasses to see the invisible magic runes, you must put them together in a domino-like game. I found it fun, others didn’t. Each time the game appears it is more difficult than the last, but I didn’t feel it ever got really impossible.

As you progress through the game, a certain amount of degeneration occurs, and the game seems to flow less comfortably, but I can’t really explain how. The action is just not as tight as in the earlier parts of the games. Maybe I’m just missing the crazy animals that so charmed me in the demo.

BOTTOM LINE
Not the best offering from this developer but still fun!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 27, 13 6:00 AM
Completely over the top and I loved it.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 27, 13 8:01 AM

Nightmare Dwellers is a dream come true

Based on the demo:

Absolutely loved this game.
Short description: it is delightfully weird.

Demented but clever, is that possible? Well, it seems to be here. At last a game that does not take itself too seriously. You will almost certainly laugh at the crazy, kooky characters. It does have a semi-serious story about a mysterious stolen skull causing paranormal activity, which allows it's possessor Dr. Blackmoor to make dreams (or rather nightmares) into reality.

The fun part is that along the way you interact with so many goofy animals, and each one is uniquely funny, strange, and lovable at the same time. The voices and sounds for these are also well done.

The puzzles and mini-games are similarly unique (can I say that?), and the hidden object scenes are multidimensional, requiring plenty of interaction. There is a match three option but I did not attempt it, it was too much fun the "normal" way.

You also need a sharp eye to explore every possible area on the screen or you may miss something important. Active areas are not as obvious as in some other games. That said, nothing seems too difficult and instructions are clear.

Clues are given in various ways, many by looking through strange glasses at a large eye symbol, where you are required to match a number of dual symbols together in a line. You will do this exercise over and over as you progress, but these are not really that difficult either (< 1 minute).

I recommend this game, it is almost impossible not to enjoy playing.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Dec 28, 13 1:24 AM
Based on the demo

From the first cut scene and beyond the creep factor was 110%. Unfortunately in the beginning of the game there was a noticeable cheese factor also. The psychiatrist's address is 5 Cuckoo Lane? Seriously? And the police detective shows up with a box of donuts and a cup of coffee? Seriously?

The music/soundtrack is great. The voiceovers are not bad. The graphics are not the way I like them, they were a little lackluster in some places, but it did not detract from gameplay.

There are several animals and animal helpers in this game: flamingos, a champagne drinking frog, a little penguin cutout, a bird in a nest, a crab that helps you cut things, a hamster in a birdcage, a cat sleeping on a cushioned couch and a little mouse assistant. They are all a lot of fun and enhance the game.

The storyline is excellent if you like dark and creepies as much as I do. Hidden object scenes are different and interactive, a little on the easy side. Mini puzzles were pretty challenging.

I really enjoyed this game. It's a buy for me.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Feb 1, 14 9:15 AM
I finally managed to finish this game, had to wait for the patch so I got a bit delayed. Not the best offering in this series but okay, rather easy although a bit confusing at the end. Did not care for the ending at all, abrupt and left up-in-the-air; I can only assume the bonus chapter in the CE finished the story off properly. I certainly hope the developer ends this series now, although I doubt it.....glad I waited for the SE.

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 9:15:44 AM PST

Go to: