bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 27, 13 8:18 AM
Hey All!

What do you think of Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Nightmare Dwellers

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 27, 13 8:18 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 27, 13 9:04 AM
Dr Blackmore’s Nightmare

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game was a little disappointing, as previous games in this series have all been excellently creepy and unrelieved tension. This one tries too hard to be all things to all players. There is still the general grossness of Dr Blackmore, our insane tentacled foe. And the nerve racking jumping in and out at you in his flying computer incarnation.

But there are also a lot of pretty colourful and some are downright cute animals, most are useful, but they are insane! These do not persist in past the first chapters, but it is an awkward match. The signature Haunted Halls electronic creepery doesn’t sit well with lovable animals, burgeoning plants and flowers, and beautiful colour. The story hangs together very loosely, but it is outside the norm and offers interesting twists plus a surprisingly good finish. One that has tied up most of the loose ends... but still allows for the possibility of a sequel.

WHAT’S HAPPENING
Now that you are the renowned expert on all things peculiar, the FBI comes to you about an interesting case. A scientist is experiencing paranormal activity. What we find there is seriously weird. Flamingos with split personality disorder, a narcissistic magpie, all loony tunes.

PROGRESSING
An easy game to follow with fun puzzles and HOPs. There are more puzzles, but each HOP is visited twice. They are silhouettes and interactive lists, and I think I remember a multiple HO or two as well. You can switch to a Match 3 game for the list HOPs but not the others.The Notebook also holds the map, which is annoying, particularly if you are trying to remember which room led to where. The hint system is directional and refills quickly on lowest difficulty.

There is a game-specific recurring mini-game in this one. Using special glasses to see the invisible magic runes, you must put them together in a domino-like game. I found it fun, others didn’t. Each time the game appears it is more difficult than the last, but I didn’t feel it ever got really impossible.

As you progress through the game, a certain amount of degeneration occurs, and the game seems to flow less comfortably, but I can’t really explain how. The action is just not as tight as in the earlier parts of the games. Maybe I’m just missing the crazy animals that so charmed me in the demo.

BOTTOM LINE
Not the best offering from this developer but still fun!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Dec 27, 13 5:56 PM
Thanks for the review JTFS. I agree with you. Not the best game in the series. A no buy.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Dec 27, 13 5:57 PM

Edited on 12/28/2013 at 1:48:28 PM PST

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Dec 27, 13 5:57 PM

Edited on 12/28/2013 at 1:48:45 PM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Dec 28, 13 1:23 AM
Based on the demo

From the first cut scene and beyond the creep factor was 110%. Unfortunately in the beginning of the game there was a noticeable cheese factor also. The psychiatrist's address is 5 Cuckoo Lane? Seriously? And the police detective shows up with a box of donuts and a cup of coffee? Seriously?

The music/soundtrack is great. The voiceovers are not bad. The graphics are not the way I like them, they were a little lackluster in some places, but it did not detract from gameplay.

There are several animals and animal helpers in this game: flamingos, a champagne drinking frog, a little penguin cutout, a bird in a nest, a crab that helps you cut things, a hamster in a birdcage, a cat sleeping on a cushioned couch and a little mouse assistant. They are all a lot of fun and enhance the game.

The storyline is excellent if you like dark and creepies as much as I do. Hidden object scenes are different and interactive, a little on the easy side. Mini puzzles were pretty challenging.

I really enjoyed this game. It's a buy for me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 28, 13 5:55 PM
Well...I tried the CE version and wasn't real excited about it. Just didn't have the umph that the others in the series had. Sometimes, when I play the SE, I see something in a game that I missed the first time around. I did not this time. Please see the CE version for my full review.

I was very disappointed in the story line...nothing new or exciting in this one. Colors seems washed out. HOGs were extremely simple and got boring very quickly. Did not care for the eyeglass games...too simple and not fun at all.

I thought I might get this as an SE to add to my collection, but unless I have a credit that is about to expire, I won't. I don't even know if a beginner would find this one interesting or fun...too bad.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by mellowfall on Jan 2, 14 5:50 AM
I bought this game and was enjoying it very much until I got the access violation code(like many many other people ) and was unable to finish it Big Fish should remove this game from their list to stop many other people making the same mistake.It is really bad of Big Fish to offer up something that you can't finish... never thought I would say this but Big Fish you have no scruples by continuing to offer this game when it doesn't work. We have all been waiting for a fix for quite a few days now... so I thinki they should start offering to give people their money back.
DO NOT BUY !!

jocarl17
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Love the silliness!

[Post New]by jocarl17 on Jan 8, 14 9:09 PM
Fortunately, I did not try this game until it was fixed, so I missed all the frustration. I am in the middle of the game and loving it!

So glad to find a game that does not take itself seriously. Flamingos and penguins!

The HOG's are not the usual and have some creativity and diversity. And so far no horseshoes.

I am using the hints a lot, but that's OK. I hate not knowing where to go next.

All in all, it is light hearted and not the same old stuff. Try it!

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Jan 10, 14 10:21 AM
so happy to see the problem was fixed. I started all over with new profile and loved this game. good length. always great games from the bunny developers.

KimK27
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by KimK27 on Jan 19, 14 11:38 AM
I'm really liking this game. Probably 2/3 or more of the way through it and it's still interesting and challenging. I agree that it's not the best game in the series, but I'm glad I bought it because it's still better than average.
The mini-games are different and fun, so far not impossible. I appreciate that it's not one HOS after another and the ones that are in the game are different than the usual.
If you've enjoyed other Haunted Halls games, I think you'd like this one too.

Edited on 01/19/2014 at 11:38:37 AM PST

MLCC
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by MLCC on Jan 19, 14 7:08 PM
Really Disappointed in this game. Uninstalled and re-installed x3. It;s just not playable.
The game keeps freezing up really early on in the houses second room under the crab. My computer is new so it's not graphics related. This happens in the updated version. I wish I didn't buy it.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Love the silliness!

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 23, 14 11:59 PM
AFTER COMPLETING THE DEMO:
jocarl17 wrote: So glad to find a game that does not take itself seriously. Flamingos and penguins!

The HOG's are not the usual and have some creativity and diversity. And so far no horseshoes.

I am using the hints a lot, but that's OK. I hate not knowing where to go next.

All in all, it is light-hearted and not the same old stuff. Try it!
Definitely campy and eccentric!!

Downside: The special spectacles. Totally unnecessary and gimmicky.
Upside: There is a custom mode setting.

It's a buy for me.

AFTER COMPLETING THE GAME:

Wow! I really enjoyed playing this one. I'm glad I bought it!

Edited on 06/25/2014 at 12:34:53 AM PST

Go to: