Reviews for Dream Hills: Captured Magic

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 28, 13 8:45 AM
A (Good) Kids' Game

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
This game, at first glance, seems very much a kids’ game. We are the Fairy Godmother, found in fairy tale circumstances, among many well known fairy tale characters, and pretty cartoonish graphics. None of which would necessarily make it a kids’ game, I suppose, when you think about some of the great fantasy games we’ve loved this year.

But this one adds simplistic and repetitive gameplay and simplistic and repetitive music to the mix, and those things I DO believe are only truly appreciated by the younger crowd. (Let me give my apologies early, to any grupps who love this game.)

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The game is attractive enough, very fanciful as you’d expect, good quality but not much on the detail. The music really bugs me, not so much for its repetitiveness, as for its simplistic few bars. There are also not many sound effects and the ambient noise seems to consist entirely of tweeting birds, which again strikes me as too basic.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Well, you wake up from a nap to find far too long has gone by for it to have been an ordinary nap, you are alone in Rapunzel’s tower, and you are the Fairy Godmother. You realise evil is afoot, and you escape the tower, hoping to get to your cottage, where you have your magic wand, which can be used to fix all this mess up.

Instead of an adventure with a clear goal in mind, I kept getting confused, as more and more story book characters were turned up everywhere. None of them were convincingly the characters we know, and their stories are not part of this game. But their existence overshadows any other plot feature that might have made things clearer.

Anyway, we get to the cottage, and the wicked witch has stolen our wand, and we of course must get it back.

GAMEPLAY
Again, simplistic. There are word list HOPs and ones where you must find multiple items. The images are clear and the items easy to find. The puzzles are almost ridiculously simple, and are already repeating themselves. Not exactly, but the same puzzle with a different image. For example, the line up the rings puzzle has appeared twice so far, the only difference being what was printed on the rings.

There are, apparently 4 magic tools we will acquire, which give us 4 new special abilities, but so far we have not found them.

VERDICT

An good game, but only for the younger crowd.

Edited on 12/28/2013 at 11:30:17 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dream Hills: Captured Magic

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 28, 13 11:28 AM
Hey All!

What do you think of Dream Hills: Captured Magic? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Dream Hills: Captured Magic page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Dec 28, 13 11:28 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Fun to get lost in the "Captured Magic"...

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 28, 13 2:59 PM
I believe I Beta'd this game based on one of the pics on the main page, yet I don't recognize the game at all thus far [Demo].

Dream Hills: Captured Magic is a charming new addition [albeit a 'soft release' and very family friendly]. I will buy with a coupon code and play it myself on a lackluster day when I need a little peaceful reprieve from demanding graphics and gameplay.
Speaking of graphics, they are well-rounded and vivid sketchy scenes... easy on the eyes [as a fairy tale game should be].

The environmental background sound is pleasant and cheerful....

I found playing this game a welcome hiatus from the ombre moods so prevalent in many games offered these days... it's like like a breath of fresh air [and many of us need that sometime or another no matter our age!?].

Though I enjoy all themes of gaming, it would be nice to see more of these lighter, cheery games offered us, perhaps with just a dash more adult appeal, yet I am only basing that assumption [ie. geared to younger] on the Demo and it could, perhaps get a little more involved as it evolves as a game. Regardless, I will buy and enjoy every bit of it.

Thanks BFG & Dev (PopCap).

grammy1957
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by grammy1957 on Dec 28, 13 3:15 PM
Great game! Had a lot of fun playing - and I'm def not from a younger crowd!

enerald
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by enerald on Dec 28, 13 3:19 PM
Totally agree Dazy, & equipped with a "warped" SOH, sudden chuckles emerge throughout play! I found the "trail" of the story was definitely more involved as you went (did get all the fountain statues & weapons before end of demo). Will definitely be on my "wish list" - may even give in on DP Monday ^_*
(& I can give you 11 yrs, Grammy

Edited on 12/28/2013 at 3:21:45 PM PST

scorpio42
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by scorpio42 on Dec 30, 13 8:11 AM
The game is quite delightful and refreshing from the usual HOGs that I have purchased ... however, what I find disturbing about it is the fact (for whatever reason) that I have to start over again after quitting the game every time...even though I clicked the "Save and Exit" button!

I don't know if the rest of you had this happen or not...but for me, it is very disappointing and I probably won't be reinstalling it to finish playing the game anytime soon!

Have a Happy and Prosperous 2014!

BJ Minnich of Des Moines WA

DaCook7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by DaCook7 on Jan 8, 14 2:10 AM
I think it sucks.

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Jan 12, 14 9:37 AM
If ever a game needed the ability to jump to locations via the map this is the one. I got so sick and tired of running back and forth between locations I gave up and deleted the game after a little over 3 hours of play. Perfect example--needing to get a coin over and over again simply to enter the pawn shop.

moxiemoll
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by moxiemoll on Jan 12, 14 5:29 PM
For everyone that is going to let their kids play this game, Snow White is actually a black woman with whip and bustier. Maybe no one will notice? Or if you don't point it out, maybe the kids won't see anything wrong with this picture? I can't believe a game company would be so irresponsible to misuse a fairy tale character. I hope you'll play as far as the snow white segment before you decide to let your kids play this game.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 15, 14 3:11 AM
It is a cutsey little game, with a few twists as far as traditional fairy tale characters go. It reminds me a little of the Tiny Bang or City of Fools. Whimsical, but this time you get to go into all the buildings except the one on the far hill. I found it challenging especially when it came time to figure out the cup shuffle game, and like Mortimer Beckett, you had to make the cup shine. Not saying how you had to do it. Don't want to spoil it for you. Anyway, it took me a couple of days to complete it, working part-time and as said in another post Snow White leaves a lot to be desired. I'll play it again one of these days and forget everything I did the first time around. It kept me distracted and frustrated so I deem it worthy.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 17, 14 8:25 PM
Finished was a fun little game, really enjoyed it.

Go to: