Reviews for Christmas Griddlers

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 30, 13 4:14 AM
A Bit Of A Disappointment

BASED ON DEMO

This is a standard issue 8 Floor production, with barely an air of Christmas atmosphere to recommend it. And while they always do a fair job, I would have expected more from this Christmas themed pictograph game.

There are only 6 xmas backgrounds. The only one I saw was an attractive formal xmas tree, but the locations (rooms) are just like Mahjong World Contest which they put out not too long ago - and all the interface etc. looks suspiciously similar to me.

The game looks good, as all these games do, colourful and clear graphics, but no animation. The locations are mere background wallpaper, and there are only 6 of them, and that’s it for your Xmas theme. The images made by the grids may be xmasy but you can’t see them as they are whipped away to show the score page before you can get a good look. The music is not xmasy at all, despite what the blurb says.

There are six rooms, each representing the next stage in your progress, each with 20 pictograph grids. They start off very easy, just 5x5, but there are also only a couple of hints and no more than 2 mistakes allowed, in these early games. As the games get harder, you are allowed more hints and mistakes.

You are awarded a maximum of 3 stars for each level, and you need 3 stars on every level before you can gain access to the next room.

The stars are granted based on 3 different measures:

1. A certain number of points
2. Earned so many $$
3. Completed the grid in a set time

Plus there are bonuses for not using hint and/or making mistakes.

You can replay the level immediately or at another time to beat your previous rating, or you can use your $ to buy different powerups, such as mistakes allowance x3, in the shop. Also to gain access to higher levels you haven’t qualified for yet.

There is a top score page as well, and achievements and trophies.

As I say, all very much exactly the cookie cutter mold that is 8 Floor Games, and it is not even xmasy.

I pass.

Edited on 12/30/2013 at 9:17:31 AM PST

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

Re:Reviews for Christmas Griddlers

[Post New]by Hespera on Dec 30, 13 7:17 AM
I love nonograms, and these are challenging enough for the most part. However, I find them annoying because I couldn't discover a way (again) to assign the "x" key to my right mouse button.

When working nonograms, many people prefer to assign the "x" key to the right mouse key so they can easily switch between "fill" and "x" simply by clicking the left and right mouse keys. It is much more convenient, as opposed to remembering to stop and click on a picture each time.

Without this capability, I'll have to give the game a fail, because it's much too cumbersome to play. ***

***Edited to add: that someone apparently this capability is automatic in this game; however, it does not work with my gaming mouse.

Edited on 12/30/2013 at 11:01:52 AM PST

cynththemoler
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,948 Posts

[Post New]by cynththemoler on Dec 30, 13 8:15 AM
"Without this capability, I'll have to give the game a fail, because it's much too cumbersome to play."

I didn't find it so!

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Dec 30, 13 8:31 AM
The right mouse click "x" is automatic in this game. Try it.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 30, 13 9:13 AM
Hey All!

Thanks for getting this started JustTheFacts!

What do you think of Christmas Griddlers? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Christmas Griddlers page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 30, 13 9:18 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

Hespera
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by Hespera on Dec 30, 13 10:57 AM
Jixio wrote:The right mouse click "x" is automatic in this game. Try it.

I did, but it didn't work for me...

Maybe it's my mouse (I have a gaming mouse). But it works in other games like World Riddles and World Mosaics.

But if it works for others, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited on 12/30/2013 at 10:59:55 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 30, 13 3:07 PM
Yeah! A wonderful belated Christmas gift from BF. Why these games did not make it before Christmas, who knows - only the guppies at BF know and they're not telling. I play these all the time at another online site which calls them Pic-a-Pix and they are much harder than these. You can also find more of these in well-known puzzle magazine which will remain nameless. Being raised on crossword puzzles, logic problems and variations such as this Japanese variation of Sudoku, I love these and play them at work and home when I am working on a project. Actually, you may ask, won't your boss get angry??? Well, no because he knows that I do my best work when I play these because it allows me to consolidate my thoughts. LOL! If you are stuck for an answer to a particular problem, try playing these and you will find you may be able to figure it out. Works for me anyway! The music is not very "Christmas-like" and sounds more like the score from an adventure movie, but who cares. A nice little surprise to play between the after Christmas sales I frequent at the malls! Hey, JTF, I usually always agree with you but not on this one. We all have are unique tastes, so try it. I am a puzzle hound, so for me this is Okeaki Heaven!

Go to: