elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

How do processing facilities work?

[Post New]by elizaew on Jan 1, 14 3:23 PM
Do the stonecutters have to be next to the quarry or granite facility? Otherwise the people spend too long running resources back and forth? Same question for the forester. Do the sawmills need to be nearby? Do you get more wood if you have multiple sawmills for ONE forester? Or do you have to keep the 1:1 ratio? I am having problems getting enough resources in Pt 2 Cptr 3 and need to strategize how to increase stone, wood, food.

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

Re:How do processing facilities work?

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Jan 1, 14 4:46 PM
It's generally better to put processing facilities closer to a camp or warehouse for movement efficiency because raw goods are not taken directly to the processing facility.

Here's the pattern:
1. Raw goods are produced at the generation facility
2. A regular worker (without a hat) comes from either the warehouse or a worker house and picks it up
3. The worker takes it back to camp/warehouse to wait for processing
4. When the processing facility is ready to run, a worker brings them raw goods from camp/warehouse
5. When the final goods are finished a worker picks them up from the processing facility and brings them back to camp/warehouse
6. Once back at the camp/warehouse, the final goods are ready for use

This is why it's a good idea to build a warehouse nearby if you have a generating facility that's a good distance from camp, and then also build the processing facility and a worker house in that cluster. This is especially useful for areas where you have more than one generation facility; like a granite mine and silver mine side by side, or waterworks with a farm and multiple bakeries, or two fishermen with a bunch of smokeries between them.

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Jan 1, 14 5:06 PM
For time and materials strategy, it's important to note that 3-star processing facilities may produce more per run but they are slower to process and deliver goods. If you have the materials and space, it's usually more efficient to have two 2-star sawmills etc than a single 3-star.

3-star generating facilities don't have as much lag as processors, but you rarely need a 3-star for those since you'd need 4-5 fully upgraded processing facilities to keep up. A 1-star forester can support two 2-star sawmills, etc.

However, it's important to note that 2-star upgrades normally use food & wood, while 3-star upgrades normally use wood & stone. So a lot depends on what you have to work with at the time.

Gardens can be upgraded to 3-stars without much lag since they aren't processed. 3-star bakeries and smokeries paired with 2-3 star farms and fishermen produce a MASSIVE amount of food in a relatively small amount of space and time... which is important to remember for those levels where you have to pay food to a lot of altars or build a lot. Nearly all buildings and tasks require food, but not everything uses every builing material.

When in doubt, it never hurts to build a garden if you have water and space. In the beginning of most levels, starting with 2 gardens and 2 sawmills and upgrading them to 2-stars as soon as you have the other material facillities up and running should ge you off to a good start.

fihill
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by fihill on Jan 1, 14 6:48 PM
Excellent information there Wolverine, thank you, well done!

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Jan 1, 14 8:43 PM
Thanks It took me awhile to figure that out.

Like if you're jammed up for stone - DO NOT upgrade the quarry/granite mine or stone cutter to 3-star to "speed things up" because that uses more stone to upgrade than you recover in increased production so it actually takes longer. By all means, restore efficiency with food and wood, and maybe a few stone, but don't upgrade or restore anything that uses a lot of stone! I fouled myself up doing that several times.

On restoration -- food normally takes wood, and building materials normally take food (and maybe a few wood). It takes something like 50 food to restore a sawmill, 50 wood to restore a garden, and 30 of each to restore stone or silver... which is another reason why it doesn't hurt to have plenty of food and wood production buildings.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Jan 2, 14 3:06 PM
I LOVE you Wolverine! I got through the last two Adelantados without ever figuring this out. This part 3 is harder than the others and your explanation is exactly what I needed. I just couldn't figure it out!!!

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

[Post New]by elizaew on Jan 2, 14 4:07 PM
ARGH!!! I've just run through Part 2 Chapter 3 for about the millionth time. And I simply cannot get enough granite bricks fast enough to upgrade the last tower PLUS build all those bridges at the end of the game. Adelantado just stands around WAITING for bricks.

This time I tried leaving the granite mine at level 1 and putting in 2 level 2 stonecutters. Still not enough fast enough. then I upgraded the granite mine to level 2 and that didn't help either.

Ideas anyone? I am getting sick of playing this level. It takes sooooo long.

sja1
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sja1 on Jan 11, 14 11:17 PM
One more thing about warehouse and workers huts: even if you don't have room or can't afford to put a warehouse, it's handy to put a worker's hut close to woodcutters, mines, etc. That way a worker can come to take away the results of production and gets the mine/forester back to work right away -- even if the worker needs to haul the produce a little further.

sja1
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by sja1 on Jan 12, 14 12:20 AM
elizaew wrote:ARGH!!! I've just run through Part 2 Chapter 3 for about the millionth time. And I simply cannot get enough granite bricks fast enough to upgrade the last tower PLUS build all those bridges at the end of the game. Adelantado just stands around WAITING for bricks.

This time I tried leaving the granite mine at level 1 and putting in 2 level 2 stone cutters. Still not enough fast enough. then I upgraded the granite mine to level 2 and that didn't help either.

Ideas anyone? I am getting sick of playing this level. It takes sooooo long.

Get a lot of bricks at the beginning by not activating the altar of production until you have the quarry and stonecutter (make sure stone cutter is close to the altar). I upgraded the granite mine in the ravine to level three right away to stockpile. You can use the altar twice -- once at the beginning and once after coming back from the ravine, but the second time make sure that the stone cutter has restored efficiency. I also kind of wait a little bit until production is almost complete before activating the altar. That way I usually get at least two rounds of double production. I still had to wait a bit for bricks but it wasn't horrible. Oh, also I only used one stone cutter but I upgraded to level 3 as soon as I possibly could. One of the secrets gave that hint.

My problem is that I haven't found 4 of the secrets.

Edited on 01/12/2014 at 1:58:08 AM PST

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Jan 12, 14 4:54 PM
The key to having enough bricks to complete Pt2 Ch3 is getting into the valley where the Granite Mine is ASAP. Upgrade the mine to 3-stars and have two 2-star cutters... 3-star cutter upgrade requires stone and the production cycle is much slower.

Go to: