Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Mythic Wonders:The Philosopher's Stone CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 4, 14 1:46 AM
As most of you probably know by now, I am not very generous with giving out five stars. I set the scale rather high and grade according to a set of standards that I expect from a CE game. Mythic Wonders is a much welcomed surprise and after having played the demo, I am most certainly going to add this to my 2014 list of potential favorite games for this year; as it happens, so far this is the only game on the list.

You have been working on a project with Uncle Alfred which involves a strange device that is able to open up portals and transport you to new and undiscovered worlds. Once you discover that your Uncle has already used it and has disappeared, you use the portal to go after him and find yourself teleported to a new and mythical world. While your mission is to find your Uncle, you will also end up trying to uncover the secrets and powers of the Philosopher's Stone!

Although Graphics were again cartoonish, they were nevertheless sharp and bright with amazing artwork created by a very talented group. Animations were a bit blurred and I wish there was a touch of more realism in the characters, like mouth movements. These small details may not seem so important but they do have a greater impact on me when playing a game.

Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone Collector's Edition offers great adventure game play with two levels of difficulties. If you do select hardcore, puzzles will get more complicated which I thought was brilliant as there are plenty of puzzles and mini-games to solve along with interactive hidden object scenes to play. There is plenty to do in this game as I realized when I found my inventory stacked with items and tools which required a lot of backtracking along with a good memory. Thankfully you have a journal that includes a list of objectives, a map that will transport you to areas of interest and also has indicators, there is also a descriptions of artifacts that you pickup along the way and a list of achievements that are somewhat challenging to earn. Lets us not forget the most important feature, the Artifact Interface which you need to teleport into other Realms which is activated when finding some parts and solving riddles. Oh yes, and there are morphing objects to find as well.

A wonderful game that takes you on an adventure as you travel across 6 different Realms, all named after an element that plays an important role in your mission. There is also a baddie to fight off and of course a mystery to solve. Great visuals, great game play and overall, a great game.

Edited on 01/04/2014 at 8:03:17 AM PST

Re:Game Reviews for Mythic Wonders:The Philosopher's Stone CE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 4, 14 2:53 AM
Just A Little More Challenging...

BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Than most of the other delightful fantasy games released last year. And this one is a delight. The opening cut scenes set the standard. High quality graphics, more beautiful than pretty, with an emphasis on realistic animation and totally imaginary images! For those of you worrying, is this another cute pet game? Well, so far the only animals, mythical or otherwise, have been a particularly mean and salivating Cerberus and a morphing spider.

I love that the main menu’s background is of a very realistic, though moving, nebula.

SO WHAT IS HAPPENING?
You and your uncle have built a portal from plans found I know not where, but which you believe is the doorway to other realms. Well, you were right, but of course, Unc got himself into trouble and you are going to have to help. You find an artifact that reacts with the portal, and when you put in a series of code symbols, you are into another realm. A sinister someone/thing makes it clear you are unwelcome, and that you will never get “The Stone”.

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
As I said, the graphics are great. Not the Wow! Kind, but very well done, beautiful and clear. And the imagination used in creating the different realms – marvellous. The voiceover is clear and bright, but just a little too much to sound realistic. Still, not difficult to listen to. The other sounds and music are also lovely without being outstanding.

GAMEPLAY
I do like the HOPs in this game in particular. There are interactive word lists. Also multiples and pictures to find. These last two are as interactive as a typical word list, but there is no indication of which ones are affected, which makes it a little more challenging than other HOPs of that type. For instance, when looking for 12 beetles, you will need to shake things, open things and fix things to find them all.

The journal has notes, objectives, achievements, the artifact’s details, and unfortunately, the interactive jump map. It’s a hassle to get to it. The hint is directional.

I didn’t find the puzzles too difficult yet, but they were a bit more challenging than in comparable games.

CE BLING!
Fairly ordinary. 1 Screensaver, 17 wallpapers, 13 concept art (sketches), 10 music tracks. There are a fair number of achievements, and they are of the standard types. The collectibles are REALLY challenging. I did not find even one.

sadeyes0722
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by sadeyes0722 on Jan 4, 14 3:44 AM
Nilosh and Justthefacts: thank you for the reviews. I really appreciate the time you take to give them. I will definitely try this game and based on your reviews, I will probably buy. (especially with the sale this weekend). Keep up the good work.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 4, 14 3:48 AM
In a book named 'The Philosopher's Stone' there's a 3-headed dog that can be got past by (highlight to read)playing it music. I assume the developers of this game must be Harry Potter fans. And it's no secret as to the supposed power of the stone, so no mystery there.

Aside from the blatant copying of that idea, this is a nice enough game but it didn't really grab me. Voices were intermittent and when they were heard, much too loud. Adjustments to options definitely needed. Only 2 choices of play; many games give you the 'custom' option but here you only get easy or hard. Puzzles were quite good; some very easy, others far trickier.

The HOS were the highlight of this game for me(and this is from someone who would rather see less HOS and more puzzles!). Varied and interesting, the 'find 12 of' type are challenging since they're interactive but with no indication as to how they work! I found these a real pleasure to play.

My biggest gripe however is coming across the dreaded expression 'something is missing' for what seemed like the hundredth time in the hour demo. It's better than Blam's use of 'I can use something here' (worse than useless) but only marginally less annoying. And regardless of the fact that my inventory was full of stuff, there was always 'something missing' from somewhere. Dear developers, could you please think of another way to tell me this information, thank you.

I found 2 morphing objects but if there were collectibles I didn't find any. I didn't try the map...probably too busy looking for those missing items. The usual CE fluff and the achievements seemed the usual types. It just didn't really have the wow factor for me; I would have waited for the SE but the sale may just swing it.

Edited on 01/04/2014 at 3:53:45 AM PST

Quite Liked It

[Post New]by Heavenlyrabbit on Jan 4, 14 8:02 AM
I thought the storyline, artwork and gameplay were lovely and engaging.

Game doesn't push the envelope as it has usual morphing objects, interactive HOS etc but nothing new. For some players, this is probably a minus, but I don't require each new game that is released be groundbreaking.

Would have purchased immediately but for lack of a Reset Button on the mini-games which is an inexcusable oversight on the Devs and Testers part.

A CE is more expensive partly because it comes w/Strategy Guide. Well, the SG is useless in the mini-games if you attempt one, get stuck and want to start over. There is no way to get pieces of mini-game back to original position.

Otherwise, great game. If they fix the Reset issue, I'll buy CE. If they don't, I will absolutely be looking forward to the Standard.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 4, 14 8:05 AM
Hey All!

Thanks for getting the reviews thread started Nilosh!

What do you think of Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher's Stone Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

Edited on 01/04/2014 at 8:07:13 AM PST

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 4, 14 8:05 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Jan 4, 14 9:25 AM
Angelfish referred to the "sale" which appears to be a half price sale that ends on 1/5/2014 but the sale doesn't indicate which codes to type in to get the sale. Anyone know the codes - probably one for SE and one for CEs. Thanks

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 4, 14 9:41 AM
A nice but not extraordinary game from a new dev, CD2. I believe they are new because I don't remember seeing anything from them before. You are a niece in search of your uncle who is a scientist who has vanished. He has a time portal to alternate universes and after you locate the code you are able to enter a mystical world in hopes of finding your uncle. This portal has something to do with a "philosopher's" stone. You collect this stone and will add other elements to it throughout the game to help you in your quest.

Logistically, the game is nicely constructed but I am not "in awe" as some on this site. The graphics are beautiful, but, to me, not outstanding. You have morphing objects to collect. There are only two levels of difficulty which I thought rather odd since most of the devs offer more. There is a strategy guide and a map. This game, to me, is a little more difficult than most. Some of the inventory items are somewhat difficult to find - such as the seeds. You really need to comb the screen for some needed items. I was only able to play one puzzle during the demo and it was a slider puzzle. However, the devs have taken steps to make the HOPA scenes more interesting. They are interactive in some areas and in one you have silhouettes of the items and must construct items or interact with them in some way.

My only complaint is the annoying little "chatterbox" niece who keeps talking throughout the game. "This artifact could be really useful in the future." Yeah, right, Sherlock. Guess we would never figure that one out, right? I would like for her to just shut up her annoying "cutesy" voice and just let me play the game I would give this game a 3 out of 5 for a CE. I will probably wait until this game is an SE before I purchase.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Jan 4, 14 9:48 AM
I really liked the game. The graphics were nice and the storyline interesting. What has turned me off is the usual hos that you have to use find one item to find another. To me this is time consuming and frustrating. This is a no buy because of this. I think I will not be buying many games in the future if they keep using this type of an hos. Too bad since I have been buying games from BF for a couple years now.

swtp20
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by swtp20 on Jan 4, 14 9:57 AM
mystery fan...the codes are. Halfoff for ce's and WEEKEND for the REGULAR game

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Jan 4, 14 11:07 AM
I beta tested this game many months ago. The first beta went less than expected for the devs so....a few weeks ago, they asked me to beta test it again. It was vastly improved from the first test. The graphics are really nice, albeit dark at times, the music was 'okay' so I turned it waaaaay down. The HOs are average difficulty, the minipuzzles are not too hard. It does have morphing objects, but not too many and they don't completely distract one from the maingamplay. A really nice game with a decent storyline. I wasn't exactly blown away by it, but it is worth a try at least. Many will find it too easy, some will find it too hard. Okay, so play the three bears and discover if it is 'just right' for yourself. I liked it and looked forward to the release. Not sure, from the beta, if it is worth CE price, but it is at least worth the SE price. As always, you won't know until you hit that play button. Happy gaming!

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jan 4, 14 3:44 PM
Based on the demo

This is a brilliant hidden object fantasy adventure. The graphics are beautifully done, from one visually compelling scene to the next. The soundtrack is excellent, dark and ominous when it needs to be. The voiceovers are clear, crisp, and realistic.

The storyline has been done before, but not like this. The uncle has been building a portal, the niece can't locate him, takes a train to find him, finds out he has transported himself through the portal into some unknown realm. She is off to save him.

The hidden object scenes are interactive, fun, and not junkpiles. They are integral to the game, not just afterthoughts to make it a hidden object game.

The mini games throughout range from moderately easy to moderately difficult. They are all fun, and some of them very challenging.

There is something to do every step of the way in this fast paced adventure, including finding 20 morphing objects.

This is an immediate buy. I don't want the adventure to stop.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 4, 14 3:56 PM
Like this game, I thought when I first started it, that it was going to be too complicated but found it to be a lot of fun instead. Has different puzzles and like the storyline. Map is good and hints reload fast. Has tasks listed too. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 4, 14 4:06 PM

Mythic Wonders really doesn't Wow

This is a nice game, just that. I would not say wonderful, jaw-dropping, spectacular, or even especially creative. It is just a nice game.

If you like adventure type games, you may like this - although there are a fair number of hidden object scenes. This is a game centered around an "artifact" which has special powers which you collect and use. So if you are into those type games, be sure to give it a try.

Since the story involves visiting different "realms" (others have summed it up well) the drawing style is towards the fantasy end of the spectrum, but not overly so. The palette is fairly pleasing to the eye. Similarly the object that you collect are an odd assortment, more heavily leaning on natural objects than is typical.

As Nilosh noted, hidden object scenes do require a lot of interaction, but I still did not find them to be challenging. Puzzles and mini-games were similar. I saw a painting mini-game in the demo (not a favorite of mine). Also (not surprisingly) you will mix potions.

Voice overs (in the demo) were good, based on only two voices. Cut scenes were above average to good.

Good game for the adventure / fantasy lovers. Worth the CE price? Not to me.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 4, 14 4:40 PM
I always demo in casual mode to get a feel for the game. Today's game has very nice graphics and game play. Colors are bright and clear. Voice overs are well done. The one thing I didn't care for was that when you click off the custom cursor, it stays on, just gets smaller. If I click it off, I don't want it at all.

Instructions are set up differently. Although all instructions are pretty much the same, it was odd to see them laid out this way. Sort of packed in together Music wasn't bad, but I keep it turned down most of the time. There is a map, but I didn't use it, so don't know if it is a jump or not. I did look at it and the locations did seem to be well marked and identified. Inventory bar is locking, so you don't have the bar jumping up and down during game play.

SG is the usual and customary, but the pictures of each scene are very small, even when you enlarge them. Still hard to make out where items are on some. Hint button and map are way too close together..always hitting the wrong one. Hint recharges fairly quickly and is quite helpful, so you don't really need to use the SG much.

HOPs are very different and fun. Items are not difficult to see and quite interactive. I like the fact that when you combine an item in the HOP, it automatically is deleted from your items list, which makes for less clicking and more play time.

There are a lot of achievements in this game, and it is not a simple walk through to get them. Puzzles are not difficult, but do take some time and thought to complete. There are morphing objects to find as well. They are not as easy as you may think either, which makes this game a bit more challenging.

I do not give 5 stars easily, but this one is close. It is a nice game, with a nice story and enough challenge to keep you interested and moving. I will definitely purchase this game to add to my ever growing collection of CEs. I think this game will appeal to all level of players.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

(Edited for typo)

Edited on 01/04/2014 at 4:49:25 PM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 4, 14 11:59 PM
Well, I was rather miffed when the demo ended in the middle of a puzzle I was enjoying. It was a change from being bored and not even completing the demo time. Still, I don't need to buy it right away. I will wait for a game club price half off sale.

Syndalee
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by Syndalee on Jan 6, 14 6:03 PM
There was one thing that bothered me during game play. When I would try to use the map, occasionally it hit "hint" at the same time. I really try hard to not use hints and found it irritating that this would happen. They were too close together.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Jan 6, 14 8:10 PM
I thought that this was a beautiful game. If I had to do chores I couldn't wait to get back to it. The graphics were fantastic. I skipped a few mini games however I will play it again and try them over with more patience. It will be well worth playing again because there is so much to look at. I think this is one of BFG's best and most entertaining.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 7, 14 6:11 PM
if this is a "buy" for me, it will be for the SE. i'll replay again when the SE comes out and decide then.

i loved the graphics, sharp, clear, a little cartoonish but not too bad.
i loved the story, even after seeing so many games with portals to explore.
the music was good, varied...
the map was OK, but i don't generally use the maps in games, so not a factor either way, really.

i played on the harder of the two modes and was disappointed to still see sparkles in one spot, i hope that trend doesn't continue if i do purchase the SE as there are supposed to be no sparkles in the harder mode.

one turn-off was the WAY too chatty heroine... i would rather read her comments that listen to her go on, since the VO was very poorly acted, IMHO.

one way that devs could make puzzles a little harder is to NOT have the pieces lock into place when they are correct. i'm thinking of the checkerboard with the stars to match up... when i had the first piece lock, that takes all the challenge out of it. just find where it locks and proceed. makes it WAY too easy for me.
so, as a suggestion, perhaps they should lock on the easier mode and not on the harder mode.

so, i will try again when the SE is released and see how i feel about it then.
i'm really on the fence with this one...
ETA:
there was no "blatant copying" of harry potter unless it was that harry potter blatantly copied the greek myth of the three-headed dog, cerberus, who guarded the gates of hades and was lulled to sleep by the music of orpheus.

Edited on 01/08/2014 at 2:58:27 PM PST

Go to: