bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 8, 14 12:29 AM
Get to the bottom of a perplexing mystery in Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel! When a guest at a local hotel goes missing, the owner calls you in to solve the case. But from the moment you arrive, you realize that this is no ordinary hotel. The guests seem to be afraid of you, and a strange man with unusual powers is following you around the building. Can you uncover the secrets of the Any Wish Hotel and escape before you become a permanent guest? Find out in this rousing Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

cynththemoler
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,948 Posts

Re:Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel

[Post New]by cynththemoler on Jan 8, 14 1:14 AM
This reminds me of another game; I keep getting flashes of it but cannot bring a title to mind. Scrolling through the list of games I have nothing leapt out, hit me in the eye and said "it's me!" Can any one help me?

The few minutes I played were okay, not an immediate buy but perhaps a PCC when there is nothing better.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 8, 14 2:02 AM
No widescreen for my widescreen laptop, and no voices, but a really great and fun game otherwise. Will get it a.s.a.p.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jan 8, 14 3:00 AM
I do believe I beta'd this game. I really liked it and at the time said it could provide a little more help. I hate to always use the hints but will be buying it right away.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 8, 14 3:15 AM
I've been very impressed with the non-CE SEs we've been offered lately, it's almost like the good old days. I haven't tried this one yet but I haven't been disappointed with any SEs lately.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jan 8, 14 3:42 AM
I got the beta of this game too, twice, surprisingly, and while I liked it the first time around (many many months ago), when I got to try it again a few weeks ago, I got bored!

So I am really on the fence with this one. I may try the demo, and see what I think of it now, then again, I may not, lol.

But as always, try the game for yourself.

Jen

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 8, 14 3:55 AM
cynththemoler wrote:This reminds me of another game

I thought it was similar in feel to Deadly Voltage, although starting that game made me wonder. But guess who made it? Yup, same developer. So maybe that's what it is.

It's set in same era, and the music is very similar.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jan 8, 14 5:16 AM
Who is the developers of this game? Seems so familiar to me too.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 8, 14 5:41 AM
We all must be on the same page with this topic. As I was reading the game's description on it's home page, the first thought that came to my mind was the game where we were a doctor summoned to a remote hotel because (as I recall) one of the patrons there was either very ill or dead (can't remember which). And, of course, after our arrival to the hotel, it turns out to be a 'who-dunnit-mystery we had to solve. I don't remember the game's title, or when it was released (one or two years back), but I do remember it was a really good game and, wondering if this game was on par with the other, came into the forums to read the reviews. . .and see others are having the same form of game de 'ja' vu (lol). I also agree with another poster that the slew of soft edition of games released, as of late, have been much better fare than the CE releases. Hmmm. . .consumer taste change, maybe

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Jan 8, 14 6:45 AM
I got to beta this game as well. I remember that when it started I wasn't too thrilled. As the demo went on, I got more interested and was sad when the demo ended. I will definitely get this game.

Two SE in a row that are a lot of fun. Thanks BF.

[Post New]by OregonPandora on Jan 8, 14 6:49 AM
Is the game you are thinking of Mountain Crime - Requital? That was an excellent game.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 8, 14 7:03 AM
OregonPandora wrote:Is the game you are thinking of Mountain Crime - Requital? That was an excellent game.

YES, Oregon. . .that's it! That was one of many 'diamond' gem soft releases during that time (I see I purchased it in January of 2012). Thanks!!!

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jan 8, 14 7:16 AM
Developers are Jet Fun Do, with help from our very own BFG!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 8, 14 8:35 AM
I really like todays game. It pulled me in and kept me interested. So far it has a lot less Hos than yesterdays game. I do get widescreen. Voiceovers would have been nice, but all in all its a fun game and a purchase for me.

I agree that we have been getting some nice non CE SE's lately. I may end up using all my pccs if this keeps going.

It gave me an access violation error and froze but once I took it off of the clunky cursor to the smaller one it worked fine. ( I hate those clunky cursors anyway).

Edited on 01/08/2014 at 8:43:47 AM PST

cynththemoler
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,948 Posts

[Post New]by cynththemoler on Jan 8, 14 9:25 AM
JustTheFacts wrote:
cynththemoler wrote:This reminds me of another game

I thought it was similar in feel to Deadly Voltage, although starting that game made me wonder. But guess who made it? Yup, same developer. So maybe that's what it is.

It's set in same era, and the music is very similar.

Nope not that one JTF , but thank you ; also thank you because I had not come across Deadly Voltage so now I have got that to try too!

I have remembered a bit more - set in a hotel as well I believe, one guest disappears (or is murdered just came into me head) ; I think they all might have been performers of some sort because I keep seeing a magicians box. I have looked through all the games I bought on disc too but nothing leaps out. Perhaps I ought to try to forget about it and then my brain cell might go into the dry dock and produce an answer. Miracles have been known to happen!!!

Sforet71
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by Sforet71 on Jan 8, 14 10:55 AM
Haven't played it yet but reading reviews and just wondering if the game some of you all are thinking about that could be similar..could it be Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward? I just recently played that one when I was bored because I love the games that have the Louisiana theme's and locations cause that's where I live but anyway just putting in my 2 cents see if that's the game maybe that's similar. If so I might like this one then

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Jan 8, 14 2:03 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I've been very impressed with the non-CE SEs we've been offered lately, it's almost like the good old days. I haven't tried this one yet but I haven't been disappointed with any SEs lately.

Oh I definitely agree. I really like this game. Yes, there are no bells and whistles, no glam and glitz, but I do love the story line and the sense of humor (occassionally). I will buy this with a coupon or a BOGO day. )

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Jan 8, 14 4:29 PM
Not sure what to do about this one...seem to be a lot of problems with it. Fall of the New Age froze my computer, Esoterica wiped out my GM, now this one apparently also freezes up. Why so many problem games lately? I thought they were tested before being released......Will add this one to the growing pile of "wait until it's fixed before buying"! Too bad, it sounds like a good game.

ETA: Four days later still waiting for some kind of fix.....still no buy. Am starting to wonder if there will even be a fix....

Edited on 01/12/2014 at 5:06:39 PM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 8, 14 9:15 PM
Based on the Demo

The soundtrack is almost non-existent with a little jingle here and a little jangle here. There are no voice overs which means a lot of reading what the characters are saying and a farcical type of interaction between characters.

Graphics are very good, very well done.

The storyline was a little confusing. Guests seem to be disappearing and you as detective are called in to solve the mystery. There appears to be a mad scientis running around materializing objects from drawings.

You have an interactive map and a diary to assist you with gameplay. Because the map doesn't differentiate between what you can do now and what must be done in the future you spend a lot of time riding the elevator from floor to floor.

Hidden object scenes are well done, junkpiles with interactivity and straight lists. The mini puzzles are easy but fun: the usual like lock picking, chess games, and swapping colors. Nothing too hard, but very entertaining.

The storyline was a great one, when I could figure out what was happening, but the rest was just mediocre and run of the mill.

Go to: