Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 8, 14 3:00 AM
Is it me or are standard edition games getting older by the minute. It is like I stepped inside the TARDIS, travelled through time and Poof, its 2008 and I am playing the earlier standard HOPA game with sharp and clean graphics, no voice-overs, minimal sound effects, a cool jazzy music in the background, very easy mini-games that take about thirsty seconds to solve and basic hidden object scenes with slight interaction. You have a journal, a jump map and a hint system that merely highlights direction outside HO scenes.

I suppose the only interesting element of this game is the storyline which takes place in the Any Wish Hotel, a couple of missing guests and you as detective hired to solve the mystery.

It’s not a bad game, just a very old and familiar game. Ideal for beginners and those who enjoy nostalgia but for me, I have enough pre-historic games in my own fault to last me a lifetime. I really am expecting a bit more now that we are in the new year and I-phone 6 is about to come out. Well, I guest it is time to get back into the TARDIS with the Doctor and see what the future holds at BFG.

Edited on 01/08/2014 at 9:12:18 AM PST

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel

[Post New]by orphaned on Jan 8, 14 4:43 AM
dear Nilosh:

good to see you and glad it let you play!!!l (this time)

love seemingly easier once in a while though!!!
as am a newer gamer, this is cool for me !! get to play detective and things vanish or were they ever there!!

and Any Wish Hotel - the name alone grabbed me!!!

enjoy whatever your pleasure!!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Jan 8, 14 9:11 AM
Hey All!

What do you think of Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Cruel Collections: The Any Wish Hotel page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgDeveron

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Jan 8, 14 9:13 AM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgDeveron

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 8, 14 12:59 PM
Another SE today (not complaining, tired of nothing but CEs). Not sure why the devs think everything needs to be in cartoon format these days. I don't mind it once in a while, as long as it is a good game and fun to play, but they seem to be backing up rather than moving forward. Today's game isn't bad. Graphics are clear with bright colors. Game play is good, no problems with any glitches, but moves a bit slowly.

There are no voice overs, just a lot of reading, but you can click through it if you read faster and not miss anything important. This is a very quiet game with sound FX here and there, but otherwise very quiet. The initial music was hauntingly nice, but once you got into the game, it was very sparse and different.

Hint system is very helpful and fills at the usual and customary rate. HOGs are very simple and interactive. They are clear and items are not difficult to find. So far, there hasn't been many. Same with the puzzles. Only ran across a few, but they were very simple as well. The chess game did take some thought and time. There is a lot of running back and forth and visiting the same area a lot. Be sure to check out the entire scene before you leave.

This game is geared more toward the beginner, which is okay, because sometimes that is all I want. Story is nothing new and it is not really challenging. It's just a nice simple game. I will put this in my puddle for purchse another day (like a BOGO).

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Jan 8, 14 3:00 PM
Finally a game I can enjoy! No 2 or 3 minigames to reach your goal. Not a lot of hidden items in the HOS to find another. Just the right amount. Some of the games put out lately are frustrating for me but this one is just plain fun for me. I hope there will be many more simple SE games coming out so I will be willing to buy them. I did buy this one and am enjoying it immensely..

Edited on 01/08/2014 at 3:01:47 PM PST

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jan 8, 14 5:05 PM
WELL I SEE bf DECIDED TO LOCK UP WHERE PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE FREEZING,SO LETS SEE IF THEY DELETE THIS.I bought this game cause thought it might be fun and I used a coupon and low and behold what happens it starts freeing up on me to and I mean quite a few times and one time I had to shut down my computer,why would you let a game like this pass through.I own hundreds of game and I have to say this has turned out to be the worse amost annoying one I own ,I regret now buying this I am deleting it big waste of coupon.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 8, 14 5:17 PM
This is a dated detective story game. "Dated" implies that it is using older technology in the production of this game. It seems to be set in the 1950's evidenced by the awesome 1957 Chevy (nice car). You are a detective called to France by a hotel manager who is missing a guest. As you search the hotel you discover that guests are being abducted for their inventions.

Again this game is not as good as yesterday's offering, but it is not all that bad. There are three levels of play offered. The "muzac" fits the theme of the game, similar to theme music used in the older detective stories presented in the movies or television. There is no voice - but that is standard for these low budget games. The technology is dated. As another commentator has indicated, this is "2008" technology and "cartoonish." The HOPA scenes are similar to those we have in our CE games. I have not seen many puzzles; however, I also have not seen many HOPA scenes as well. Most of the game seems to be a game of collecting interactive inventory items. The video sequences are grainy on my computer; however, the other scenes are decent. I see many complaints about this game; however, considering other SE's we have had in the past, this one is not as bad as some we have had on this site. I would give this a 3 out of 5 for an SE. Again, as I always say, try it yourself. By the way, the game DID NOT FREEZE up on me. Don't know what to say about that one.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Jan 10, 14 8:24 AM
I really enjoyed this game - and for a non CE it was good. Quite a long game and a pretty good story line.
Would like to see more games like this without all the bells and whistles that come with CE.
Thanks Big Fish

klockwood
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by klockwood on Jan 12, 14 7:51 AM
I would say Do Not buy this game! It has some glitches that you have to start over.

[Post New]by halliecat99 on Jan 13, 14 7:54 AM
The game is full of glitches. It crashed my computer once and I had to restart from the beginning because my player profile was corrupted. It would frequently freeze for 10-30 seconds as I switched between scenes, playing the same music over and over again with a black screen while I kept my fingers crossed that it was going to continue without crashing again. (It reminded me of a record that keeps skipping and replaying the same few notes.) Finally, there is an inventory piece (cake symbol) that seems to have no purpose other than to be annoying by cluttering up the inventory, as I finished the game just fine without needing it.Overall, these problems are a shame because it was otherwise a very nice SE game with an interesting story line and mini-games that were not the same-old-same-old. I got it as a freebie, but with all the technical issues it has, I wouldn't pay money for it.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jan 14, 14 4:54 PM
I'm loving this game! I don't find it the bit cartoonish and love the bright colors. I'm really into the dark, mysterious games, but some color is great and very welcome. BF has something for everyone!

richmondl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by richmondl on Jan 15, 14 12:03 PM
I just finished Any Wish Hotel and I loved it. Great game play, some hard puzzles in between and a couple I didn't understand so had to skip. Nice long game, which I like and fun. I don't see anything to complain about, no freezes for me, smooth sailing to the end.

gamblebug
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by gamblebug on Jan 15, 14 1:26 PM
Well I decided to delete it and reinstall and use a different profile.Everything seemed to be going good and then it starting freezing up again .I have hit the ctri ,alt and delete button and exit game.Go back in a again ,sometimes I get alittle further but same thing happens.This not my computer and I don't need Dr Felix.No problems with my other games,just finished up with 2 other CE's and everything was fine,i was really to finish this one but can see that ain't happening

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jan 15, 14 8:01 PM
I think this game rocks...a very good game, lots of good puzzles and a few quirky hos, great graphics without a lot of fluff, no long cut scenes, no annoying voiceovers, just a great game at a great price. thanks

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 24, 14 2:46 PM
This is a very tiring game. There are obvious tasks to do and many of them, however, the "correct" answer is NOT so obvious, as I find in many other games. Let me explain, when looking for a container to put a liquid in, usually then give you the container, either in a HOS, or nearby...NOPE, not this one, they attach it to a kite, fly it out the window, and then you have to search for a winch handle to reel the container in, but the fun is just starting....just try zooming in on the winch and attaching that handle! There are so many glitches, at some points the game would completely freeze, and the sad part is it had so much potential. I normally like games where you are searching a hotel, or mansion, but this one is not one of them. I generally play these games everyday. I started this one yesterday and when I came back to it today, could not remember anything about it. It is not a memorable game to keep. Even though it's a SE, boy I've played better and even in the free game categories, there are better games. I wouldn't waste my money on this one, and yes I'm sorry that I did.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 28, 14 10:14 PM
Finished the game , loved it although I had to skip some puzzles and use the hint button, but other than that really enjoyed it.

Edited on 01/28/2014 at 10:15:10 PM PST

saugeen
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by saugeen on Jan 31, 14 6:04 AM
I am trying to find the moon in a hos in the kitchen. The hint button points to an area on s green moon, but no moon. Another time it points to a spoon but no moon anywhere, I have played this game 3 times but no luck. Is there a trick to this?

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Feb 5, 14 7:19 PM
Just finished playing the demo and I don't think I can get into it enough for a purchase. I can take dated graphics if there's enough of everything else that's good but some things are just amiss here. I wasn't supposed to be able to get down to the balcony from outside a window on an upper floor until I made a rope out of something. But I got to the balcony from another way on the lower floor. So later when I met the man who told me to make a rope out of the curtains, I made the rope and put it on the windowsill which was to take me to the place where I'd already been WHEN I DIDN'T NEED THE ROPE. It turns out I didn't need anything from that area anyway because I was able to visit it beforehand and find what I needed. Where is the logical progression in that? Not only that, when I went back to the man who originally told me about using the curtains to make the rope, clicking on him again only had him repeat the same instructions regarding the curtains as before. That topic should have been cleared out from the game after he said it the first time since I already did the task. This just confuses the beginner player and for the experienced player like myself, it just shows poor game mechanics on the developer's part. Maybe I'm being too picky because there seems to be a sizable number of people who like this game, but there are hundreds of other games that I know to be a lot better. And many of them are a lot older than this one is without looking older. I think I'll stick with those.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 7, 14 7:51 AM
this was not a bad game in any sense it just became repetitive , nothing new

Go to: