Althena533
Clownfish
Clownfish
502 Posts

Wedding

[Post New]by Althena533 on Jan 11, 14 2:36 AM
Why is it in these games when it comes to weddings they always put the ring on the WRONG hand? ;v) A wedding ring goes on the LEFT hand, not the right! ;v)

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

Re:Wedding

[Post New]by orphaned on Jan 11, 14 2:42 AM
unless you are European !!!

cynththemoler
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,948 Posts

[Post New]by cynththemoler on Jan 11, 14 2:48 AM
Depends which country in Europe actually orphaned. In England the wedding ring goes on the left ring finger and we are in Europe (and how!!!!! Sorry BFG a bit off topic)

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Jan 11, 14 3:08 AM
okay then - mainland Europe!!

which is usually what most people mean when say Europe!!

England has always seemed separate and apart from rest of Europe - especially on a map. but are part of Europe.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 11, 14 3:48 AM
LOL, not only the right hand, but they got hitched at the end of a cliff without a priest officiating and no guests. They did have a rather nice wedding arch, though.

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Jan 11, 14 4:44 AM
Germans always wear the wedding ring on the right, left hand means engaged.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 11, 14 4:56 AM
You are absolutely right, gryhndlvr. Now I remember my parents always wore theirs on the right.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 11, 14 6:44 AM
Germans and Spanish both use the right hand, and probably others of which I am not aware.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 11, 14 7:02 AM
Very observant of many of you, and something - altogether - new for me. I never knew/would've thought that it varied - country to country - which hand (finger) a wedding/engagement ring was worn. And the "you learn something new everyday" saying continues. . . .!!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 11, 14 7:07 AM
People wear wedding rings on their left hands in many Western countries, such as the United States, Mexico, Chile, Slovenia, Iran and European nations including the UK, Italy, and France. In Asian countries, people also tend to wear the band on the left hand.

It's in Northern and Eastern European countries (e.g. Denmark, Norway, Russia, Poland, Bulgaria) that it's more common to wear the wedding ring on the fourth finger of the right hand. And in Portugal, Spain, and Greece.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 11, 14 7:18 AM
Who knew? I travelled throughout Europe and I guess I never paid attention to which finger the wedding band was on. Next time I go I will be checking out peoples ring fingers while waiting for the train. lol.

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Jan 11, 14 11:40 AM
that appears to be why European men love American/Canadian ladies!!! our ignorance is their bliss!! hehehe!!

see - we created another new pastime - ringing!!

as if just enjoying the ride in this game is not enough we are getting an out of game tutorial on rings and customs - so educational !!

and love to learn how we all do things - our global aquarium ROCKS !!

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 11, 14 4:52 PM
interesting conversation!

i was taught (don't remember by whom, unfortunately) that the wedding ring goes on the ring finger of the left hand because it is closest to the heart!

(rhetorical question: is the right hand closer to the wallet? )

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 11, 14 5:13 PM
CathyCatfish wrote:interesting conversation!

i was taught (don't remember by whom, unfortunately) that the wedding ring goes on the ring finger of the left hand because it is closest to the heart!

I guess that rather depends in which pocket you keep your wallet. What exactly are you saying with that statement?

It's been stated above, and if you're interested in finding out more you'll find out all of the historical reasons, over centuries and various countries' customs, through Google. I am as amazed as you are at finding out new things every day.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 11, 14 5:58 PM
Tiger2010 wrote:
CathyCatfish wrote:interesting conversation!

I guess that rather depends in which pocket you keep your wallet. What exactly are you saying with that statement?

It's been stated above, and if you're interested in finding out more you'll find out all of the historical reasons, over centuries and various countries' customs, through Google. I am as amazed as you are at finding out new things every day.

that not all weddings take place because of love... some marry for money?
yes, over the centuries, weddings have happened for many reasons... power, politics, money... it's a fairly recent development (and not true of many cultures, still) that marriages are for love, alone.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 12, 14 1:52 AM
I agree with you Cathy. People marry for all sorts of reasons or are forced into it and most turn into a disaster. For sure, long term marriage is a skill and some of my real life friends have said that certain anniversaries are more like a 'millstone' than a 'milestone' LOL.

I apologise if I misunderstood you, but your last comment just sounded a little as though those who wear their wedding band on the right hand were money-grabbing gold diggers.

And those who marry for money? Good luck to them. A gilded cage is probably all well and good at first, but it's a long, long road if you wish to travel it and it's usually full of pot holes no amount of money can fill.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 12, 14 2:47 PM
thanks, tiger!
i really didn't think about the deeper implications of my right hand/left hand wedding ring wearers comment, so i apologize to any right hand wearers for my unintended implication.

speaking of millstone vs milestone, my ex MIL actually gave *me* a small TROPHY on the 10th anniversary of my marriage to her son.... for staying married to him for that long! her own son! LOL!
the marriage lasted two more years... didn't make the next millstone... er, milestone!

Go to: