MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

Is anyone else getting tired of glitchy games?

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 11, 14 2:38 PM
Is anyone else getting sick and tired of almost every game coming out these days having freezes, crashes, error access violations and numerous and sundry GLITCHES??? I am. I sent in Dr. Felix on this one. Third one in the last week. Tech Support must be running on a skeleton crew, and they used to help or offer a free game code. Now they just tell us to change things around on our computers and screw them up! I don't want to quit BFG, I want them to realize they have some major problems going on and help us, the people who give them our money and make them a profit.

Abs

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:Is anyone else getting tired of glitchy games?

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 11, 14 4:17 PM
The game threw me out twice in the main part and once in the bonus. Hey hum... I'm used recently to my computers doing all manner of odd things. I just started again, albeit with some grumbling involved.

It wasn't a deal breaker, though, and I admit it was a bit annoying, but I've had worse computer woes.

If there are any disastrous tech problems they should probably be posted in the tech problem thread to be dealt with sooner (blame the guy in charge now and so many redundancies for not being as efficient as they once were - I miss those times too). We all have different computers with different specs - it's almost impossible for us (usually) amateurs to know the precise answer.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 11, 14 4:38 PM
yep, missabby, there is a lot of complaining on another site about all the glitchy games lately. one person posted that they had trouble with a certain game, so they went to another site that offers the *same* game and it DLd with ZERO problems!

i guess the only games that would be an issue for finding and DLing from another site would be BFG exclusives, which i think they sometimes later release to other sites after a certain period of time elapses.

i'm using the old GM and i have not had any trouble DLing and playing demos and buying games until last week... with saturday's CE. i got an access violation with the very next new game i trialed, but those are the only times. i have to wonder if there's a difference between the two GMs being used. seems the new GM (game "app") is the one that's causing the most heartache for people.

would be interesting to hear from other people using the old GM...

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Jan 11, 14 4:54 PM
MissAbby wrote:Is anyone else getting sick and tired of almost every game coming out these days having freezes, crashes, error access violations and numerous and sundry GLITCHES??? I am. I sent in Dr. Felix on this one. Third one in the last week. Tech Support must be running on a skeleton crew, and they used to help or offer a free game code. Now they just tell us to change things around on our computers and screw them up! I don't want to quit BFG, I want them to realize they have some major problems going on and help us, the people who give them our money and make them a profit.

Abs
I am! There has been game malfunctions before, but never with the frequency as we've seen lately!
Whatever happened to their proud guarantee?

The Big Fish Guarantee:
* Quality tested and virus free.
* No ads, no adware, no spyware.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 11, 14 5:20 PM
Thanks Tiger, Cathy and swedane. I did post in the tech thread, and I sent my Dr. F report in, but I felt like this kinda needs to be heard..somehow...by BFG and I don't think the tech thread will accomplish that. We all need to speak up if we are tired of this, and this is the only way I can see to actually be heard. Yelling at the poor understaffed tech folks won't help. I hope the sunshiners don't try to get this thread closed! I've been buying games from BFG way before I became a member (fear of commitment..LOL) but back then they had a young lady at the front desk that would answer the phone, put me on hold and transfer me to on of the TWO tech people they had. I think it was a very small office in those days. I am happy that Paul Thelan's dream came true. I am happy for all the years as a member of BFG that we could rely on almost EVERY game working. I enjoyed the forums and I guess I understand why they went away, but it would be nice to have one place to voice our concerns. I miss not having enough good old hidden object or adventure games that are not CE's to use our free game coupon's on, we did earn them right? I don't want to have to make permanent settings changes on my computer (I say permanent because sometimes I'm not sure how to change them back and I like the way my computer works now). I'm not going to quit BFG, I just feel I have the RIGHT to say that I am TIRED of all the glitchy games they are putting out [Removed by Moderator]. C'mon BFG..please listen to your customers?! We really do love you. Abs

Edited on 01/12/2014 at 4:34:15 PM PST

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 11, 14 5:43 PM
missabby,
if you have received snide (or any other kind of mean) PM over this or any other issue, PLEASE report it to a mod AND send a screenshot to CS with the subject title "FORUM MODERATION TEAM". this is what i was told to do by baikal before she was given the sack. i've had to do this exactly twice in my years here on the forums.

this is supposed to be a nice, caring place and the mean PMs need to STOP. the only way they can stop is to report them to BOTH a mod and CS.
if you have time for only one of those options, send the screenshot to CS... screenshots can't be changed or faked, they are a real document.

thanks!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 11, 14 8:35 PM
Agreed, MissAbby! I am starting to get a bit frustrated too! I understand that all glitches just cannot be caught prior to release due to the plethora of systems being used, but I remember when BFG would work hard to get the devs to fix those glitches in a mostly timely manner. Now, I've pretty much lost all hope. I really miss Live Chat! Why they did away with that I'll never understand, are they even planning to bring it back? I just don't know... there's no way to get that info now that they've also done away with any method of communicating on the forums that isn't directly related to a specific game.

Sigh… I want my good old Big Fish back!

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 11, 14 8:54 PM
[Removed by Moderator]

Thanks for caring Cathy! We gotta keep up the good fight, and try to get BF to start caring about us again!

Abs

Edited on 01/12/2014 at 4:52:37 PM PST

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Jan 12, 14 7:40 AM
Hi,

Quick question if I may. I have not had any problems with the demos I have been doing on the games beings released. No, freezing, access violations, crashes, slow downloads etc. But, I keep seeing threads being opened to address this. Threads in addition to the usual tech problem threads.

So, can you tell me if you are experiencing this during the demo or are the problems occurring later in the game? I keep a list of games to purchase and really liked the sample so would like to add it to my “to buy” list, but am concerned that while I had no issues with the demo I might have problems after purchase when getting further into the game.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tauret

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 12, 14 8:35 AM
Tauret, My problems started after I purchased this particular game. I almost always play the full demo on any games I'm interested in. This time however, I played about 10 min. and experienced no problems, so with the sale offer and having two other CE's waiting to purchase, I went ahead and bought it then. The problems started shortly after that. I played the full demo on the other games that were glitchy. I understand your dilemma. It's speaks volumes to what we are discussing here. BFG should realize that their members are becoming hesitant to buy their product because of problems with them. I know I am. But I LOVE the games, and I've always loved BFG for what they've offered us over the many years. They just need to somehow become aware that selling low quality product will discourage their client base and eventually hurt their business. I don't want to see that happen.

Abs <~~getting down off her soap box (for now

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 12, 14 8:57 AM
Hi Tauret. Long time no see and I hope you are well, old Pond buddy!

A lot of gamers have found problems with the game suddenly giving you access violation problems, but these seem to occur at various stages for everyone. You'll get thrown out and need to go back in.

It happened to me three times, usually after having completed a puzzle which I then had to do again. It was annoying, but other than that the game played fine. I had no problems at all with anything disappearing from the Inventory or anything else of that kind.

It's an enjoyable main game with more puzzles than HOS, though I didn't care overly for the bonus so you may wish to wait for the SE.

ETA: Good grief, Tiger. I just realised how arrogant my last sentence may have sounded. I meant only that it may be better to get the SE as I really didn't think all that much of the bonus plus it's got no collectibles/morphs/achievements at all.

Edited on 01/12/2014 at 9:17:09 AM PST

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 12, 14 9:17 AM
YES................

anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by anabel1566 on Jan 12, 14 9:53 AM
MissAbby wrote:Is anyone else getting sick and tired of almost every game coming out these days having freezes, crashes, error access violations and numerous and sundry GLITCHES??? I am. I sent in Dr. Felix on this one. Third one in the last week. Tech Support must be running on a skeleton crew, and they used to help or offer a free game code. Now they just tell us to change things around on our computers and screw them up! I don't want to quit BFG, I want them to realize they have some major problems going on and help us, the people who give them our money and make them a profit.

Abs

That is exactly why I discontinued my BF membership over 1 year ago. This is nothing new.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jan 12, 14 10:09 AM
pitiful and CS is not the way they were...'Kinda cranky" actually.

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Jan 12, 14 3:42 PM
Thanks MissAbby and Tiger. Appreciate the info.

Guess since I had no problems with this one I will get it in future and hope that since I played the full sample with no problems the rest of the game fill be OK too.

But I will wait for the SE. I will sometimes buy CE's for the extra game play alone (if the story is really good) or, like with MCF to have the SG since the logic can get a big on the wacky side, but I don't care much about achievements like "wow, you didn't use a hint"or stuff like that. I HATE the achievements that require I rush through a HOG or Puzzle such as "Completed 3000 HO scenes in 12 seconds!!!. I play this type of game to relax and take my time, not speed through it.

I will buy a CE if it has morphing objects, they are a real favorite of mine, or if there are interesting collectibles or if I can replay the puzzles.

Tiger, you weren't arrogant!! It helps to know what others think. I always make up my own mind, but sometimes if I am on the fence what others say about the game helps me make up my mind.

Well, better run. Thanks again for your replies and help.

Tauret

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jan 12, 14 7:50 PM
tauret,
this happened a few years ago... and on a game i can no longer remember...

the demo played just fine, but when i bought the game, it was all just streaks of black and green, no scenes, no talking, no nothing. the game was unplayable.
i ended up buying a new graphics card so that i could play return to ravenhurst and shadow lake... but never could remember which game it was i couldn't play, so couldn't try it with the new card... i have a LOAD of unplayed games, so hopefully, someday i will figure it out.

so, not sure that any of this means anything for these glitchy games lately, but it DID happen to me that the full demo worked but the installed game didn't.

i guess that's where dr. felix and CS will hopefully come into play. best of luck!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jan 13, 14 1:52 AM
Someone here said Customer Service has been rather cranky lately.

I reported two games, both with Dr Felix reports and got a response back pretty quickly AND I even was sent a free game coupon I never requested, even though I did not ask for a refund on the games yet, just politely explained my problem and the hopes that with the DR Felix, they could determine if it was my computer and its settings, or the game itself.

That is the experience I have always gotten from CS...and I am very sorry that some others of you are not having the same experience.

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jan 13, 14 1:57 AM
Oh, and no, I am not getting tired of glitch games.
For me to run into several in the last three months, is unusual, which is why I did the Dr Felix report, but I learned a long time ago, that I make the quality of my life.....not games, not other people...but me.

Oh, and my ex-husband.....but as you see, he is an ex-husband, because I figured out, that he was almost always unhappy and he hated the fact that I was almost always just the opposite.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 13, 14 8:13 AM
tookat wrote:". . .that I make the quality of my life.....not games, not other people...but me."

Well put, Tookat!! Although I haven't experienced many - with the unusual exception of this recent rash - I, too, have met with a few 'glitchy' games over the years (fortunately, during the demo trial), and I always take the attitude of "Oh well, on to the next. . .", even if it was something I really wanted to play. The only game I've been unable to play that I was 'quietly' bummed about is 'City of Fools'. That one is all too different/unique and what I got to play of it (demo only), I enjoyed immensely. Otherwise, for every/anything else in life or game-wise: 'On to the next. . .!'

Edited on 01/13/2014 at 8:15:29 AM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Jan 13, 14 11:20 AM
I'm loudly tired about the number of "glitchy" games coming out. I do not use this forum to discuss my personal beliefs or my attitude towards life. I am a very long time member and a paying customer and as such expect to receive quality for my cash. I really do LIKE BFG but I also expect BFG to live up to their guarantee:

The Big Fish Guarantee:
* Quality tested and virus free.
* No ads, no adware, no spyware.

Go to: