Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Can Anyone Say 'City of Fools' Redeaux?

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 13, 14 7:30 AM
I have been wanting to play 'City of Fools' since it first came out but, unfortunately, that is the ONE game I own that I have been unable to play (after I purchased) because my computer - for whatever reason - does not like it. The demo (when first released) played great but after I purchased, it didn't NOT want to play at all and I was all TOO disappointed. I can only hope the developers tweeked this 'Fools redeaux' (Who Am I) to adjust with Windows 8/8.1, as 'Fools' did not do well with '8' at all -- for me, that is. Can't wait to try and hopefully. . .buy!!

Re:Can Anyone Say 'City of Fools' Redeaux?

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 13, 14 7:43 AM
Too bad you couldn't play City of Fools. It was worth the download. They should have quit while they were ahead. This is pretty bad. I only played about 10 minutes of it in the hopes that it would get better.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 13, 14 7:48 AM
Thanks for the head's up, Cottoncandy2. I also read, in another thread, that this new one is a very short game (if you haven't read that thread already), and now you're posting of this. Man, talk about another 'BFG' bummer!!

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Jan 13, 14 9:04 AM
dear robsim:

just a thought but what if you got the disc instead??

maybe your computer will like it better!!

think is still being offered as an option - d/l or cd!!

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 13, 14 10:12 AM
Hmmm. . .thanks for the 'tip', Orphaned. I didn't think to order the CD of the game . Since the 'download' didn't work for me, maybe - just maybe - the CD may be the way to go. . .that is, if BF still offers the CD's. I'll check into that. Thanks again!!

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Jan 13, 14 10:20 AM
Hello All,

Sadly, as of several months ago, backup CDs are no longer available on the website.

If you haven't already, Robsim, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Tech Support Team about City of Fools. They can offer some targeted troubleshooting steps to help get you playing that game. To reach the team, just click on the blue text below:

Contact Us

Thanks!

bfgDeveron

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jan 13, 14 10:26 AM
I remember BFG's announcement of discontinuing the CD/DVD delivery (except via retail shops): it can still be found here, in a way:

Backup and Trial CDs No Longer Available
http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/967/kw/game%20on%20CD%20or%20DVD

ETA: remainder of post deleted, cos BFGDeveron posted it at the same time. Good luck, Robsim.

Edited on 01/13/2014 at 10:27:58 AM PST

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Jan 13, 14 10:32 AM
sorry guys!!! did not mean to get hopes up!!!

Rats!!! guess am missing more than realized !!

BUT new glasses cost $$$$$ and would rather get a game!!!

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Jan 13, 14 10:56 AM
"BUT new glasses cost $$$$$ and would rather get a game!!!"

LOL. . .glad to know the priority of things, Orphaned (LOL). Oh, and I just sent an e-mail to Customer Support about the CD, and have now come back to find the moderator's message that they're no longer doing this (I missed that notice also when we were notified). However, the issue is not that major and there's no need to hinder the Technician's on troubleshooting this. I'll just order it from Amazon or the company (developers) direct (always more than one way to skin a cat!!). Thanks Orphaned & Mr./Ms. Moderator.

As for you, Orphaned: another LOL!! Pitiful!!!!!

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jan 13, 14 2:44 PM
Robsim, I hope you at least asked for a refund on the game.....and will if you haven't.
they won't be thrilled about the overlong wait, but were reasonable about a refund that I went three or four months before asking.

From what I can see, Who Am I, is just City of Fools with slightly different characters.
I just decided not to buy as I don't think the devs worked hard enough to make this game seem like a new one.
I kept being taken with deja vue the entire time I was demoing, and then I fell asleep!
lol! sorry Devs....
I like that they are so different but, if I cannot find an SE I want to buy that I REALLY like, I will give my coupon away.
I have done that before.
But, I doubt you will see me in the Forums complaining about any of it because I discovered that dwelling on anything that is on the negative side, just makes me more unhappy.....and I like to keep my pink and purple stripes, and green loony eyes bright, and my tail full and floofy.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jan 13, 14 4:05 PM
You can probably buy it from the dev website? Depending on how much it is. Or you might be able to download it from another site. It really is worth it. Just take lots and lots of notes.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 14, 14 12:47 AM
I really had fun with City of Fools, and even played it again with my grandsons...had even more fun the second time around as they laughed so much during the play. I was excited when I saw this one, but so disappointed to find out how short it is, and the devs truly missed the mark, so I won't even waste a pcc on it. They should have known better, doncha think?

Coco157
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Coco157 on Jan 14, 14 7:52 PM
I was really enjoying Who Am I until I ran out of batteries for the second time!

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on May 6, 14 9:00 PM
To the Original Poster.. I've had this "trick" work for me on some games...

Install the "free Demo" on the Games page. Them from the Game Manager, click buy and it will activate it and make it (hopefully) playable.

I'm having the same problem, but with the Chocolatier's series, as it has no demo and was just removed for download and the new game manager, just will not install any games from my purchase history or even the backup downloads I have saved for every purchace I made.

So another "trick" if you really want to play a game.. write to BFG CS and ask them for a download link to the old Game Manager not the "Game App" that's current. That's what I'm doing after the death of my beloved XP laptop. But XP, 7 or 8 doesn't make a difference, some people are having trouble with their accounts and downloads/being able to play period, all don't, some will some won't etc. They say if you have a lot of games (and I have over 1700!!) is why, but to me there doesn't seem any rhyme or reason. Anyway, I hate the old Game Manager's slowness, and the new Game App's inability to play/install games.. I hope they give us a new "GM" that solves both.. because after trying 5 windows versions (home/pro) on several laptops from cheap to gaming beasts.. it's all the same. So it's definitely on BFGs end.

The only other thing I can suggest is updating your drivers, especially video ones, or pick up a cheap OEM renewed or used FULL renewed copy of windows 7 on a auction site (can't post wesites, but I'm sure you know it, rhymes with "FEE-Pay. ) Windows 7 ran it fine, FYI 7 Pro has an XP mode, that made some older games of mine playable again! Once you have any version of 7, partition your hard drive (give it space to run needs about 35-40GBs available), do a duel system start and you should be able to play any game. I'm no PC wiz, and it's easier than it sounds. Just use any search engine for the simple directions, print, and it pretty much installs itself after partition. When your PC boots up, you'll be able to chose which version of windows you want to start. Walla.. gaming heaven.

Good Luck, and I hope this helps, because City of Fools is one of the best games ever made and on BFG!!! It's worth any hassle to try and get it to download and run!

Happy Gaming!

Edited on 05/06/2014 at 9:01:17 PM PST

[Post New]by garryngirl on May 13, 14 3:00 PM
I loved City of Fools and wondered what I had done wrong on Who Am I to have finished so quickly and then read reviews. I purchased WAI without reading reviews because I love CoF so much. My mistake :-( Poor showing BFG on Who Am I.

Go to: