Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

Robinson Crusoe - dissapointed is anyone else?

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Mar 16, 09 6:39 AM
A few weeks ago I ran across a Big Fish Games free coupon and we began playing the Mystery Files - they are so awesome and fun. When Robinson Crusoe popped up we viewed it and after playing it for an hour decided we would join Big Fish and purchase the game. The graphics and the mix of puzzles are beautifully done and challenging and not all hidden objects. We really liked that and they weren't so overwhelming that you can't figure them out. Return to Ravenhurst sometimes had us pulling our hair out. We thought Crusoe would be a game we'd play over the next couple weeks like Ravenhurst and Return to Ravenhurst and some of the other Mystery Files - not so. We played it totally out in just a few hours. That was the dissapointment - I think from the promo we thought after the boat was built we'd go to various islands of adventure on the way home to England - but you don't. It ends there with "to be continued". More episodes are promised and unless they are longer I don't think we'll purchase them. Has anyone else played this game yet?

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:Robinson Crusoe - dissapointed is anyone else?

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Mar 16, 09 6:51 AM
I enjoyed the game very much myself. It took me about 4 hours the first time I played it, and I replayed it several times. There's quite a bit of randomization, so the items you need to find aren't all the same, and most of the minigames don't have exactly the same solution either. If a game ends in 2 hours (for me) usually I'm disappointed unless there's good replay value, but 4 hours for just my $6.99 (jumbo club member)? For my budget that's on par with buying a paperback book or going to see a movie.

WhippetLv
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,552 Posts

[Post New]by WhippetLv on Mar 16, 09 7:38 AM
I found it to be worth the 6.99 and have replayed it a couple times

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Mar 16, 09 7:51 AM
Hi Joyfulllady, welcome to the pond. I also enjoyed Robinson Crusoe. It was a well done game that gave good replay value. Also, There just are not to many games that can compare with the Mystery Case Files games. I glad you enjoyed it. Hope to see you swim in the pond some more.

midnight1864
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,170 Posts

[Post New]by midnight1864 on Mar 16, 09 7:55 AM
Welcome joyfulllady! I enjoyed robinson crusoe.
If your looking for a game as good as RTR . I suggest Lost in the city. IMHO its the best since RTR was released.
Have Fun

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Mar 16, 09 8:53 AM
Hello everyone! I just thought I’d pop in and let you know that I’ve gone ahead and moved this discussion to the forum that we have set up for Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. You can find a list of all our individual game forums by clicking here.

Happy gaming!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Mar 16, 09 1:47 PM
Thank you Soynocha and Midnight1864 for the welcome to the pond. This is all new to me. We'll replay Robinson and see what the changes are - it will keep my 82 year old mother occupied. The winter months have dragged on for her - so I introduced her to computer gaming - now we can't seem to get her off it. We'll take a look at In The City. A poster named lizziek has the most wonderful photo shots and clues for some of the games. This pollywog will be seeing you around.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Mar 16, 09 2:04 PM
I know what you mean, when you start with one of the best, I was lucky I had played a lot before hand,
It is hard to beat RTR for game play time, I enjoyed this one but not in my top five. Have a look at the forum Lost in the City rather than repost I have listed a few of my favourite top games, similar to RTR I am not keen in a lot of the Adventure Games as I do not like walking around lost but love the RTR type welcome to the pond. Also just a tip if you get stuck and I often do apart from all the great advice on the forum, if you google game and walkthrough you can print out a free walkthrough on most. (I have around 120 games) so now have a file cabinet full of walkthroughs I should throw out.

Cheers lineck

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Mar 16, 09 2:13 PM
I played it and loved it. Yes it was short, but for 7.00, I think I can live with it. I just dont like to spend my credit on a game that is short and has no replay value. Stay with us.

txrose3
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,035 Posts

[Post New]by txrose3 on Mar 16, 09 4:33 PM
I agree that the game was a little short on play time. But, I really enjoyed it. I've played it once, and plan on playing again.

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Mar 16, 09 4:58 PM
I only did the trail version of Robinson Crusoe--fun but heard it wasn't real long. Thats' what I like about the forums. Someone usually gives an idea of how long the game is. Helps me decide on whether to buy or wait or something else.
As you have played the MC games, did you also play Madame Fate. That is a real long game with a lot of puzzles to figure out. It was one of my favorites.
Also I liked Serpent of Isis. That lasted me about 7 or 8 hours as I took my time looking for things and using items from the inventory.
Hope you find other games that you both enjoy

royben
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by royben on Mar 20, 09 4:55 AM
I found it to be worth the 8.99

[Post New]by docnoller1 on Apr 6, 09 11:53 AM
I think it was refreshing. I play all the hidden object games and I love them all. I think it was well worth the $6.99 and cant wait until the next one comes out. But i think to each his or her own. Not everyone can like the same things
Happy gamming ev1

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Apr 6, 09 12:05 PM
I loved it and found it well worth the money.

Torillyz
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Torillyz on Apr 15, 09 8:48 PM
I've only been playing it for a short time so I haven't finished it yet - I didn't know it will be short! But I like it so far. Very relaxing.

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Apr 16, 09 2:55 AM
Hello Joyfullady and Welcome to the pond.....I'm glad you'll be around to visit with us from time to time - or all the time.

Just to answer your question. I loved Robinson Crusoe. I thought like you did - that it would be more of the storyline and end up in England safe and sound. I also thought it could have been a little bit longer, but thought it was an OK length. I was delightfully surprised at the game and the "to be continued" gives me hopes of another funfilled game will be coming!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 23, 09 10:24 PM
Glad to see some positive feedback on Crusoe. I have one more game to choose for my Felix Fav 5 mousepad, like to get BF Exclusives and already have all the best ones, MFC etc.

I played the demo on this sometime back, got stumped and hour was up. Don't care for too many complicated ones with tricky puzzles and no "skip" having to resort to spoilers. Sometimes I like them shorter so I can get to the end quicker then replay knowing what I'm doing. Was glad to read replay changes so one can play several times when nothing new is appealing. Some longgggggg games that don't tell you on a map where you are get tedious for me. I thought I was finished Mirror Mirror til I realized there was a page 2 of locations LOL, so I was only halfway done. It's a good game too, different.

I'll get RC if by the end of the month there's nothing else added I want. Thanks!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 23, 09 11:47 PM
Whenever a game seems on the short side I run it through my Poodlebear's Fun Factor Value Discumbobulator (patent pending). It goes like this:

For me to go to a movie where I live it costs at least $10. That does not include travel, parking, and snacks. Then there are the nimnulls also attending who leave their cell phones on or talk back to the screen. Let's not forget the all important jammy factor: I *could* wear jammies to a movie but may well be carted off if I tried. BUT let's assume I have ponied up my bucks, passed on buying snacks, the theaters empty and I had my jams on under my coat, the *most* I'm gonna get is a one time play of abt 1.5-2 hours of entertainment.

I buy a game at it costs $7ish. If I get over 2 hours of solid, well crafted entertainment in my own home, in my jammies, with a fresh Mocha Latte (my hubby is personal barristo ) in my mug, well heck, clearly this has passed the "good value" test. MOST games run at *least* 3 hours and many more than that. Many have replay value and I can do so forever at no additional cost.

Yes, I was dissapointed when Robunbson Crusoe ended but only because I really liked it and wanted more. I *believe* at the time the developer stopped by (someone confirm me foggy brain?) and said that they had to cut it shorter than originally planned but that the sequel was in the works for after he sailed. I think it was a fine value, given my very scientific calculatiohns and will buy the next when it arrives.

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Apr 24, 09 1:56 AM
I have played through Robinson Crusoe the second time know and still truly enjoyed it. I thought again that the game was as long as some of the other games I have. I believe I got my 7.57 worth.

Can't wait for Robinson Crusoe 2 to come out!!
(But, I guess I have no choice but to wait)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 24, 09 2:47 AM
I'll go with poodlebear's FFVD rating, Works for me. I usually check how long the help threads are for a game, then judge at least double the hours per forum page for a game for the time I'm surfing around for help. I can turn a one hour game into 2 hours of playtime easy. LOL. I was on RTR 2 weeks, even with strategy guide, that's a lot of mileage for $7, oops I mean $14 with guide. But it didn't help remembering how I even got somewhere where I was stuck, or going in circles, much less "Now go back to.the ...." I'm ready for simple pleasures.

Go to: