Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Game Reviews for Amaranthine Voyage: The Living Mountain CE

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 16, 14 2:08 AM
The Tree of Life was a brilliant game and I am delighted to see that the sequel has arrived. After having completed the demo, I am happy to see that our Ocular friends have produced once again a most entertaining HOPA game with many fun extras.

We take on the role of Sylvia Burns, our heroine who saved the world in the last game. Don’t you just hate it when you go out of your way to save the entire human race only to be ridiculed upon your return? No one believed your fantastic story and even your students have begun to make fun of you. Just when you have had enough, an old man shows up at your door and asks for your help. It seems that his son has disappeared and according to eyewitnesses, there seems to be a portal to another world in the town called Three Stones. And so your adventure begins and off you go exploring another world where many surprises await you.

I love the graphics and visuals applied, all very life-like with wonderful effects and animations and the artwork is stunning to look at. I love the sounds and attention to small details which really bring the game alive at your finger tips.

Your settings include four levels of difficulty which also can be customized according to your preferences. You have a journal with objectives outlines, an interactive map that will indicate areas of progress as well as allow you to jump. You have a very cute little puppy called Bonnie who will help you retrieve far away objects and you also have your bow and arrow which you will use on occasions. A standard HOPA game with adventure, Hidden objects scenes that come in variations and mini-games that range from moderately easy to somewhat challenging However the best thing for me was that you have the choice of playing Bubble shoot during HO scenes, always a favorite game of mine. Hidden Object scenes that I came across were either silhouettes or a list of items with some interactions involved.

As for extras, you have collectables, dog bones to locate and nimble little fairies that are flitting about. You also have a list of achievements to earn and from what I can tell form the main menu, there are extras that are unlocked at the completion of the game.

I loved the occasional humor depicted from our main character, the odd tasks that pop up once in a while like using your bow and arrow and I loved the bright colors, special effects and sound effects, all making it easy to immerse yourself into the game and experience a virtual world. KUDOS to the developers who have so far been consistent in their games, I do so look forward to tonight’s rendezvous with Amaranthine Voyage: The Living Mountain Collector's Edition.

Edited on 01/16/2014 at 8:32:27 AM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for Amaranthine Voyage: The Living Mountain CE

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 16, 14 7:29 AM
I love this developer. This game has gorgeous graphics, and interesting storyline and the music is relaxing and not intrusive. A definite must buy for me.....

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by ValerieG on Jan 16, 14 8:21 AM

Edited on 01/31/2014 at 8:54:05 AM PST

ValerieG
Minnow
Minnow
251 Posts

[Post New]by ValerieG on Jan 16, 14 8:23 AM

Edited on 01/31/2014 at 8:54:29 AM PST

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jan 16, 14 8:28 AM
For the most part I liked this game. Not too crazy about the way the scenes "jump" in and out. For anyone who is susceptible to motion sickness or vertigo, this could be a problem.

I like the way the HOG scenes are presented by doing a few at a time and then moving to the next level or scene but again the movement can be troublesome.

The map is very useful. So far it only showed a few of the locations which made it easier to spot where you had to go for the tasks to be accomplished. I'm not sure whether this will hold true as you travel further into the game.

The puzzles and minigames seem not too hard but then again I play in Easy mode (well Custom).

I thought the acting was very well done and the voices fit the characters.

I think I will buy the CE when a good sale comes along.

HINT: You need to click twice on the fairies to collect them.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 16, 14 8:31 AM
Hey All!

What do you think of Amaranthine Voyage: The Living Mountain Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it! You can share your review here in the reviews thread, and on our website as well. Just pop over to the Amaranthine Voyage: The Living Mountain Collector's Edition page HERE.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article here for more information:

Big Fish Game Reviews

Remember, a lot of forum users that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

To help other players get the most out of your review, you can add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to head over to the support thread dedicated to the game HERE

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'! When starting a new discussion looking for game help, please be as descriptive as possible when creating a title for your thread.

Happy gaming!

bfgWendwater

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 16, 14 8:48 AM
Thanks you so much and glad to be of help. Not a writer as a profession but do write alot for work. Have a great time with this game and enjoy. A definite winner in my books. Cheers

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jan 16, 14 11:32 AM
It’s been a while since Dr. Sylvia Burns (you) saved a dying world in Tree of Life. You have become restless in the years since your last adventure and now even your students have begun to laugh at your theories of portals to other worlds. Where is your proof that these portals and other worlds exist? It seems that one of your students, Jonathan Ferguson, did believe in you and now he has gone missing while trying to prove your theories. Jonathan’s father arrives at your home with a package that contains proof of Jonathan’s discovery and he believes that you are now the only one who can find his missing son. And so begins our new journey to The Living Mountain. Will you be able to return Jonathan to his father and find tangible proof that the portals do indeed exist?

In recent years the developer of this game has emerged as one of the top casual game developers on the scene, and each game they bring us is top quality. The developer continues to surprise us by always adding something new and innovative to each game.

The Living Mountain has incredible graphics and, IMHO, they are so much better than the graphics in Tree of Life and we have a crisp clarity to the graphics rather than the graininess that existed in the previous game. The artwork is stunning and the art team has created realistic characters that seem to come alive on the screen. The sound package only adds more realism to the game and makes playing the game truly enjoyable. Combine the sound package with this visually stunning game and we have the total experience – a place where we can be immersed for many hours in a new world. Needless to say, only fifteen minutes into the demo and I was hooked. No need to wait for a weekend sale on this one.

Overall, I was blown away by The Living Mountain and decided that it was just too good to wait around for a weekend sale. I purchased the game after playing the demo for only a short while since that was enough to convince me that this is probably one of the best games to come our way in recent months.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 16, 14 11:59 AM
Morning all. As always, I demo games in the casual mode to get a feel for the game play. This one has excellent graphics, very clear and bright colors. Only a few dark places, but not too dark to see. Game play was excellent as well, no problems at all. I usually turn music down, but I liked this one. Glad I left it on. Music changed with each scene and mood, so was not boring at all.

Voice overs were very well done, with emotion to match facial expressions and what was happening at the time. I liked that you could "click" through the dialog, for those of us who read faster than they talk. There is a locking inventory bar, and a very nice jump map. Hint system is very helpful and filled quickly. SG is the standard version. Would be nice to have all the chapters listed, even if you can't get into them during the demo.

HOGs were very well done. They switch between silhouette and standard. You can also change to a bubble shooting game (didn't care for that one). Each HOG has a riddle to solve at the end, which gives you an item that you will use within the game. The attention to detail was amazing, e.g. using a spoon to crack an egg. I liked the way an item is automatically removed when you "put the pieces together," rather than having to click on it again to remove it from the list. You also have a little dog, Bonnie, who is quite helpful in obtaining hard to reach items within a scene. She actually barks when you can use her. You also have a bow and arrow that is quite helpful, but it doesn't bark.

There are the usual achievements, along with collecting 48 dog biscuits, which are easy to find, and 20 fairies, which are not as easy to find as you may think.

Did not care for the first game in this series, but this one is exceptionally well done. It drew me in as soon as I was transported to another time...actually, probably even before that. I don't give 5 stars easily, but this one definitely deserves them. I believe this game will appeal to all levels of players. A definite buy for me today.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 01/16/2014 at 12:10:24 PM PST

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jan 16, 14 12:03 PM
I too find this an exquisite game as far as graphics, music, etc. but why on earth would the developer put a target shooting mini-game in the middle of the game with no skip? I do not purchase shooter games for this very reason. At this point will give it a little longer but if I don't succeed shortly will delete the game even though I purchased at full price this morning. This a game ender for me. I am early into the game and even on the custom mode cannot hit the target, cannot back out of it to see if I'm missing something. Up until this moment I thought this was the best game seen in some time.

Edited:

Finally hit the point at which the game wanted me to hit, which was completely off center, I might add? A test of patience maybe?

Edited on 01/16/2014 at 12:08:35 PM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 16, 14 12:40 PM
REVIEW OF FULL GAME AND BONUS

As ever, other gamers have done a wonderful job with reviews, so I'll just say what I like about it.

This drew me in like a bee to honey. It was a case of 'Surrender, Do Not Disturb sign on the door and phone off the hook".

If you like games with lots of achievements, collectibles, souvenirs and other things to find, and don't find them a distraction, then I think you'd love this.

The graphics are beautiful - bright and clear with some amazing detail in the masonry, for example. We start in England and are transported to a magical other world where things aren't always what they seem, especially when something quite extraordinary happens to our heroine (quite why still seems a mystery to me).

The HOS vary between silhouette and the usual kind, and there are also lots of mini HOS. The maxis very often have riddles and are divided between 3 different areas you move to seamlessly. If you get bored of that, you can play a Z*uma style bubble shooter. Puzzles aren't anything we haven't seen before and on the easy side, but they are a nice variation on the usual (how many times can we re-invent the wheel anyway?)

There's some subtle humour involved and whilst you do have a helper in Bonnie, I didn't find her intrusive. She wasn't helping excessively (I think a maximum of about 8 times during a 5 hour plus main game and a few in the bonus).

I found the music fitted each scenario well and this game has the absolute BEST teleport map of any casual game I've seen. It's as beautifully done as the actual game. A real work of detailed gaming art. Move to an area and the walls and roofs slide away to show you a 3D aerial view of that location, complete with all furnishings beautifully drawn in miniature - almost as if you're in an elaborate, huge doll house. Since I love building and decorating large, elaborate doll houses this was right up my alley.

My favourite colour ever is deep purple so I even loved the Inventory and SG.

Add to that that Beagles are one of my favourite dog breeds and this game could have been made for me.

Like many gamers I've collected hundreds of HOPAs over many years, but very rarely replay any. This is the first time ever I want to replay after only just having finished it.

This is no rocket science game, but it's exquisite. As ever, we all vary in what we like so try before you buy.

100% recommended!!

Edited on 01/16/2014 at 12:57:58 PM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 16, 14 1:01 PM
Forgot to mention... The main game ends very satisfactorily with a good, quite dramatic finale. None of this feeling of having it end abruptly.

The bonus stands on its own with another good 1 hour plus of gameplay, depending on how fast you are, of course. The HOS in the bonus are quite lengthy with multiple aspects to them sometimes.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 16, 14 3:01 PM
Tiger2010 wrote:Forgot to mention... The main game ends very satisfactorily with a good, quite dramatic finale. None of this feeling of having it end abruptly.

The bonus stands on its own with another good 1 hour plus of gameplay, depending on how fast you are, of course. The HOS in the bonus are quite lengthy with multiple aspects to them sometimes.

Thank you Tiger2010 , for your detailed review!

Now, I don't know if I can wait for some sale to buy it !

Have a nice night??? ,
M.

bfgWendwater
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,911 Posts

[Post New]by bfgWendwater on Jan 16, 14 3:20 PM
I also wanted to add that this thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game), please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post, as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable for the review thread.

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they're looking for, so the Moderation Team will be removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews).

(For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.)

Thank you!

bfgWendwater

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 16, 14 4:50 PM
An awesome, awesome, fantastic, new adventure from one of our best devs, the PixIEs. This is a definite purchase for me. This will probably be one of the best games this year from BF. I do not like to "overdo" the praise for the devs, (it might go to their heads), but if I cannot find anything wrong with the game - except for the little "ankle biter" helper. Personally I hate dogs (you know the saying - cats rule and dogs drool). However, if you are a "dog person," you will probably love this little charming puppy. The demo went by so quickly, I was amazed how totally absorbed I was in this game.

You are Professor Burns, ridiculed by your students and peers for believing in the kingdom of Amaranthine and the Tree of Life. You are visited by a stranger who is searching for his son. His believes his son followed you to Amaranthine. You go to the site of the Town of Three Stones and begin your quest to find his son. The three stones are actually a portal to the world of Amaranthine. This game is a step up from the previous adventures in this series. The graphics are stunningly beautiful. The renderings of the people in the game are awesome. You have three levels of play plus a fourth option to customize your game. I was so excited when you could choose a "Bubble Shoot" instead of the HOPA scenes. I love bubble shooter games so that was a nice added feature which I have not seen in other devs' games. The collectibles are dog treats. I only was able to play one puzzle, but I thought it fair game and since I don't skip puzzles usually, it took me some time to finish it. The game flows well and it is pretty easy to navigate.

Wow! That is about all I can say about the game. I give this game 6 stars out of 5 stars for a superb game. The extra star is well deserved in my mind. Excellent, excellent game.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 17, 14 10:38 AM
Another great game from this developer and always enjoy them. It had great IHOG's and map to take you where you wanted to complete a task. Hints reloaded fast and game was very interesting. Give this 4out of 5 stars..

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 17, 14 4:06 PM

Living Mountain-top Experience!

This is possibly the best game, at least from a technical standpoint, that I have ever played. The artwork is absolutely some of the finest I have seen, every scene is well detailed and spectacularly drawn.

The voice acting is similarly first class, making the characters and story come to life in a manner that borders on realism. Someone once wrote (ahem) that this aspect of the game helps to "suspend your disbelief" and this game truly does that. The combination of the artwork and voice acting draw you into the story the way a great game does.

The hidden object scenes are also clear and sharp, though they are fairly easy to complete. In at least one there were three different "levels," with the camera automatically panning to the next scene as each was completed. Well done.

I played the first in the series, Tree of Life, however I don't remember too much but apparently this is a continuation. Nevertheless, if you did not this game stands on its own.

Music is nice and soothing and hardly noticeable. Sounds effects are good, including the footsteps of shoes on a marble floor.

There is a "cute" helper in what looks to be a beagle puppy, Bonnie. She's so cute that even though I ordinarily do not care for helpers, I cannot help but like her.

There are collectible fairies and dog biscuits. There are also achievements for finding several objects in a short time and finishing hidden object scenes without mistakes or within a certain time.

Wish they were all of this quality.
All in all a great game, truly worthy of 's.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jan 18, 14 1:08 PM
probably one of the best games I've seen in a long time. Besides the beautiful graphics, really fun game play , long length of time..the developer was not scimpy with the extras. Things to find, chase, even extra items I didn't know about during the game that I hunted afterwoods.
The map was awesome. It gave you the information you needed without ruining the game, It allowed you to hop, make sure you didn't forget an item..all which is so fair..especially since you have spent good money on what is now YOUR game, and it should behave the way YOU want it,,not the developers sense of gaming,
Everything about this game was fun. I hated that it ended, evem with the hint that there was more in the future,
Great great game..honestly, it will win awards for the graphics alone, along with the programming. You gotta really like these developers..they seem to like what they are doing and it shows.
kris

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 21, 14 4:08 PM
WOO HOO...A definite WINNER, SO FUN and an ADVENTURE that is truley, one of THE BEST adventure's, I've been on in quite a while..LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of those games, that has the WOW factor, YEA BABY, finally something I can REALLY sink my teeth into, it is a thrill a minute, not to mention the visuals, which are, SPECTACULAR, along with, awesome story ( REALLY takes you to another world, and when it does that, it's my kind of game ).. !!
Saying this gem is Epic...hehe is an understatement , was having such a good time, didn't realize, it had snowed a foot outside, while playing, so had to make a quick dash to get milk and bread, got last half gallon of milk left in store, THAT is the only reason I would quit playing this, was downloading and ready when I got back..YIPEE .
LOVE, LOVE...my beagle Bonnie, so ADORABLE, will miss her when I finish, ALSO I just LOVE the fluttering fairies, they actually try to hide behind stuff, BRILLIANT I say, wish there were more of them, these developers really made this MAGICAL for me.
AND...on top of that special touch, they also made VERY enjoyable H0 scenes, moving from one to another, effortlessly , AGAIN something NEW and DIFFERENT, and IMHO moving these developers ahead of the gaming pack !!
The way the scenes moved around, COOL beans, everything about this game, I found, new and exciting, and WOW do I LOVE me some excitement every now and than, FINALLY a breath of FRESH AIR... EIPIX !!
Ahemm....sorry, just can't contain myself ...this had everything I adore, and IMHO should not be missed, try for yourself, would hate to see anyone miss out on this ADVENTURE of a lifetime, it gets 10 that is my opinion, and I am sticking to it ... !!

Edited on 01/21/2014 at 4:26:05 PM PST

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Jan 21, 14 4:52 PM
I love this game, and love the graphics and creativity. I also loved!! the one with the ginerbread men who were evil (sorry forgot the name!) BUT have the same issue with both......a soundtrack that is just ONE continuous droning tone, on and on and on and on and on thru the whole game. UGH. I had to turn the sound off which is a shame because the soundtrack aside from this is full of lovely birds and really carefully done sounds that give a great feeling to the game. But when it is "quiet" there is a constant tone every 2 seconds, always, on and on and on. It drives me nuts. WHY do they do this? It has chased me off the game 3 times now because I couldn't stand it another moment and it's silly to play with the sounds off. I keep thinking it's just me so I give it a rest, go back and after a while I can't stand it again. PLEASE Devs.....why have a nonstop droning of one or two notes in a loop thru the whole game?

Go to: